• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NY and NJ visitors

I see no reason to have said it then. And for clarity I mean for all states.

He was asked specifically during his news briefing by a reporter if he might consider putting a quarantine on FL as they may be the new epicenter of the Coronavirus. If you aren't aware, NYC was the epicenter of the U.S. and then the world, until Brazil became the new epicenter a couple weeks ago. That reporter didn't ask about any other states, nor did the Gov bring them up.

He was asked specifically during his news briefing by a reporter if he might consider putting a quarantine on FL as they may be the new epicenter of the Coronavirus. If you aren't aware, NYC was the epicenter of the U.S. and then the world, until Brazil became the new epicenter a couple weeks ago. That reporter didn't ask about any other states, nor did the Gov bring them up.
I'm fully aware now you're coming off sarcastic..goodness are you taking it personal now? (tongue in cheek not meant to be rude). The governor could have easily not made that particular comment; comes off like he's throwing shade. I'm over that line of thinking for all states to be that way with each other.

I already explained my thoughts in a previous post to another poster. That pretty much sums it up my thoughts so I'll kindly agree to disagree and move on :)

NY, NJ and CT just enacted a a joint travel advisory. All individuals traveling from states with significant community spread of COVID into NY, NJ, or CT must quarantine for 14 days. This travel advisory is effective midnight tonight.

What constitutes a "significant community spread" is the infection rate formula of: 10 new positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7-day rolling average, or at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

Current states as of today: AL, AR, AZ, FL, NC, SC, UT, WA, TX

The states may change daily. Check other sources: newspapers, travel agents, etc., for more details.

Yes, if you go down to FL (or the other states on the list,) for vacation and come back to NY, NJ, CT, you will have to quarantine once you are back.

Last edited:
NY, NJ and CT just enacted a a joint travel advisory. All individuals traveling from states with significant community spread of COVID into NY, NJ, or CT must quarantine for 14 days. This travel advisory is effective midnight tonight.

What constitutes a "significant community spread" is the infection rate formula of 10 per 100,000 on a 7-day rolling average, or 10% of the total population positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

Current states as of today: AL, AR, AZ, FL, NC, SC, UT, WA, TX

The states may change daily. Check other sources: newspapers, travel agents, etc., for more details.

Yes, if you go down to FL (or the other states on the list,) for vacation and come back to NY, NJ, CT, you will have to quarantine once you are back.
My best friend's family went down to FL on Monday to stay with his FL resident sister this week. I wonder if this will require his family to quarantine on return? Sounds like it. Wonder how it will be enforced. They flew down, might get the quarantine papers when they land?

My best friend's family went down to FL on Monday to stay with his FL resident sister this week. I wonder if this will require his family to quarantine on return? Sounds like it. Wonder how it will be enforced. They flew down, might get the quarantine papers when they land?

Yes, they will have to quarantine on return. That was a specific question asked to cuomo. If you are a NY resident went to Florida for vacation will you have to quarantine on return & the answer was yes. He was asked about national guard at airports like Florida has done & no plans for that at this time. Basically honor system right now. But if you are caught, you face mandatory quarantine & fines.... I think I heard $2000 for first offense plus any quarantine costs.

Yes, they will have to quarantine on return. That was a specific question asked to cuomo. If you are a NY resident went to Florida for vacation will you have to quarantine on return & the answer was yes. He was asked about national guard at airports like Florida has done & no plans for that at this time. Basically honor system right now. But if you are caught, you face mandatory quarantine & fines.... I think I heard $2000 for first offense plus any quarantine costs.
Good to know. Thank you.

FL, today has reported it's highest number of COVID-19 cases in one day, to date at 3207 cases. There is speculation that FL may become the next COVID-19 epicenter.

Meanwhile, NY has recorded it's all-time, lowest number of cases. Just yesterday it tested 68,541 throughout the state. Only 618 positive cases. That's 0.90% of the population is positive. That is the actual data. NYC will be starting Phase 2 of re-opening on Monday. :woohoo:

The NY Gov was specifically asked if he is considering putting a 14 day quarantine on FL. He said it was recommended to him by health officials. He said it's ironic that 100 days ago, at the start of it all, other states like FL, put a quarantine on NYers visiting their state. NY worked very hard to get to being one of the states with the lowest COVID-19 cases. He is considering a quarantine on high infection states coming in to NY.

So, those of you making plans to go to WDW, had better make some contingency plans for if you can't go back to work right after coming back if you have to quarantine.
Low amount of new cases and hospitalizations in NY and NJ is great news, BUT NY and NJ have not”scratched” the surface In terms of getting back to dining and bars. As of now, no restaurants are open for dining yet in either NYC or NJ...Forida was doing ok, until bars, restaurants,and masses of people protesting shoulder to shoulder. Guess we will see how NJ and NYC fares once people are dining in restaurants and going to bars.

If a person violates the quarantine, they may be subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine.
They may have to pay the costs of quarantine.
$2000 for first violation.
$5000 for second violation.
Up to $10,000 if they cause harm. :scared:

That's right. That's for New York. I haven't seen what will happen in New Jersey yet, which is where I live. My knucklehead cousin and his wife just returned from Florida. They're late 20s...and they were "itching" to travel. Well, they visited her brother, who came down with symptoms, and now my cousin and his wife have symptoms. So...they're all getting tested. They all likely have it, and all for an unnecessary trip.

Disney opening up on July 11th in a Florida , and a bit later in Southern California, is really irresponsible right now. Just an all-around bad idea that will lead to a lot of death.

As of now, no restaurants are open for dining yet in either NYC or NJ...Florida was doing ok, until bars, restaurants,and masses of people protesting shoulder to shoulder. Guess we will see how NJ and NYC fares once people are dining in restaurants and going to bars.

NYC has been in Phase 2 since Monday. So there is some outdoor restaurant seating. We've had protests EVERY DAY for over 3 weeks now throughout Brooklyn & Manhattan. Thousands of people.

The infection rate hasn't gone up very much, even with all the protests. For one, they are all outdoors, with people mostly marching or moving. Yet, the biggest factor, which NYC got lucky on, is that the infection rate is down to about 1.2%. It was determined that the protestors really haven't been infecting each other. That's when the Gov. went ahead and allowed us to move onto Phase 2.

The numbers were released for yesterday. The infection rate ticked up slightly, mostly in the Bronx. But, it wasn't a significant uptick to be worried yet.

That's right. That's for New York. I haven't seen what will happen in New Jersey yet, which is where I live. My knucklehead cousin and his wife just returned from Florida. They're late 20s...and they were "itching" to travel. Well, they visited her brother, who came down with symptoms, and now my cousin and his wife have symptoms. So...they're all getting tested. They all likely have it, and all for an unnecessary trip.

:badpc:

Disney opening up on July 11th in a Florida , and a bit later in Southern California, is really irresponsible right now. Just an all-around bad idea that will lead to a lot of death.

:(

Did you hear about the tennis player, Novak Djokovic? He hosted his own tennis tournament this weekend. No one was socially distancing or wearing masks. He even went to some super crowded nightclub, danced and partied. Another time he played basketball, I think. Now he, his wife and 3 of the players have COVID and have to quarantine. He had to cancel the finals of the tournament. :sad2: He said something like, "Sorry, Oops! It was too soon."

It's a joint travel advisory for NY, NJ and CT. It covers all three states.

Yikes! Were they flying? That's a big vulnerability I see to travel. I tried to talk my friend's into driving down but STUBBORN.

Driving to a destination and staying mostly secluded is much less of a risk than sitting hours on planes together, and/or hitting destinations where people are congregating and not properly socially distancing. Even in your cousin's case, flying would expose alot more people, while driving probably not much (especially if they wore masks and kept distance when they stopped for restroom/food breaks).

It's all about networks. Reel the amount of encounters way in, keep clean and spaced. We need to figure how to get some stuff going while avoiding the things that have the worst impacts on spread. Airplanes and tourist hotspots packing people closely together expand potential transmission networks. Not good right now.

Low amount of new cases and hospitalizations in NY and NJ is great news, BUT NY and NJ have not”scratched” the surface In terms of getting back to dining and bars. As of now, no restaurants are open for dining yet in either NYC or NJ...Forida was doing ok, until bars, restaurants,and masses of people protesting shoulder to shoulder. Guess we will see how NJ and NYC fares once people are dining in restaurants and going to bars.

Yep, that's going to be key. We should look at what the other states have done wrong, and not repeat their mistakes. I'm sorry, but indoor dining and bars in any form....are a bad idea. Once you're inside, mask off, eating, talking, laughing....that virus is in the air, and is going to spread. We all know this now. I'm sure you've seen some of the video of how the owners of certain bars are allowing young kids to pile in, no masks when close to each other...etc. We're seeing the results of that now in Florida, Texas and Arizona. California is really in bad shape too...over 7,000 cases today which obliterates their total from yesterday.

Yikes! Were they flying? That's a big vulnerability I see to travel. I tried to talk my friend's into driving down but STUBBORN.

Driving to a destination and staying mostly secluded is much less of a risk than sitting hours on planes together, and/or hitting destinations where people are congregating and not properly socially distancing. Even in your cousin's case, flying would expose alot more people, while driving probably not much (especially if they wore masks and kept distance when they stopped for restroom/food breaks).

It's all about networks. Reel the amount of encounters way in, keep clean and spaced. We need to figure how to get some stuff going while avoiding the things that have the worst impacts on spread. Airplanes and tourist hotspots packing people closely together expand potential transmission networks. Not good right now.

Yes they flew. So unnecessary and stupid in my opinion. And he came back and worked at his second job, as a bartender, for a few days before he came down with symptoms. So who knows how many others he infected. I also have a friend, who flew with her 15 year old and *80* year old mother...to Florida, where her mom has a second home. Why did they go down there? They too were *itching* to travel. I was so worried for her mother that I gave them N95 masks for both ways. They've been home a few days, so hoping they don't get it too. Just incredibly risky and in my opinion, foolish behavior.

Yikes! Were they flying? That's a big vulnerability I see to travel.

The Gov said one of the reasons they are instituting the quarantine tonight is that they didn't want people panicking and having a mad crush of people at the airport trying to get back up here all at once, before the advisory went into effect.

What I think her really meant :rolleyes1 is that the Govs didn't want people jumping on planes and not having to quarantine, then infecting people here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter