Nurses....what is the MOST painful Shot given

Beauty

DIS Veteran
Cause I think I got it!! I have an infection and got a strong antibiotic shot. Now I've had my share of shots before but NEVER have I had anything like this. The actual pric didn't feel any different from any but afterwards, OMG I felt like my entire leg and hip was going to fall off from burning. My mother said I turned as white as a sheet. I thought I was having a reaction or something but the nurse said it was one of the most painful shots out there. So now its still hurting and burning off and on.

So what was it?? Any ideas?? All I know was a strong antibiotic.

Nope this is worse....LOL! I had to have a tetnus less than a month ago. We are adopting a little girl from China (hopefully) and we all got tetnus shots at our physical for the adoption. This was MUCH worse. I have never felt anything that burned like this and I have a pretty high pain tolerence I think. It was like pouring alcohol in a HUGE open wound or something.

My guess is Rocephin (ceftraixone). It's soooo thick, it hurts my hand to push it in, and plenty of patients have told me it hurts like...well, you know. Bicillin is also painful but I think Rocephin is the worst.

Laurie

ETA - tetanus can make your arm sore, but it's not even in the same pain league with the big gun antibiotics. I've had patients say it feels like thier arm is being amputated :earseek:

Maybe the nurse pushed it in too quickly. Sometimes that will cause a lot of pain. Of course, the nurse might not admit that!

Thanks, I will be sure to never get an antibiotic through a needle now. Ouch!! Sounds so painful!! I hope you feel better soon~

Magnesium Sulfate. Back in the days that we used to give it IM. Now it is given IV.. Hurts like the devil.

Cathy

I've had Phenergan too and this was much worse! Much worse. At least after a few hours Phenergan stops, this is still hurting off and on. I don't think it was her pushing because the hurting started AFTER the shot.

ETA - tetanus can make your arm sore, but it's not even in the same pain league with the big gun antibiotics.

Yep that is my exact thoughts. The Phenegran the Tetanus, NOTHING has compared to this!

Oh and I do feel some better, not 100% and I'm on regular PILL Antibiotics but it did work, I'm so much better than I was. But wow!!!!!!!

I had a shot into a cut on my leg and it went down to be bone, you don't know pain until that happens to you, any other shot is a walk in the park until a needle hits bone. I had six of those

My first thought also was Rocephin. Every patient I ever gave it to said it hurt like heck. The other issue is that it is going deep into a muscle as opposed to tissue. Intra-muscular shots always hurt, which is also why tetanus shots hurt so much the next day, your muscle is really sore. On another note, Beauty, you really should have asked what you were being given before the fact. It is a prevention to medication errors and giving someone something they are allergic to. On the other hand, you should have been told what you were getting. Next time, ask! :flower:

I don't know, but a friend of mine had to have hormone shots and she said it hurt worse than anything she'd ever had. I guess the liquid is thick and burned all the way through her leg.

I felt so bad I didn't even think to ask. They didn't tell me either though. When my mom asked they did say the name to her something along the lines of,

Oh, thats _____________ its one of the most painful antibiotics you can give.

Your right though I should have asked. I did have to wait 20 minutes to go home though in case of allergic reaction.

OOOO going to the bone....I can't even imagine.

I'd have to say Bicillin and Rocephin probably take the cake. It's like giving a shot of glue and it hurts like H***. So does gamma globulin(what you get if you've been exposed to hepatitis.)Like a shot of motor oil.

I remember those huge Mag Sulfate shots--some of our docs would have us draw up lidocaine with the MgSO4 so it wouldn't hurt so much.

Planogirl said:
The worst I've had was a cortizone shot in my shoulder joint. Maybe it was so bad because my shoulder was so messed up?

I have to agree, these were by far the worst. I had 2 every 6-8 weeks in my elbow for about a year. That was *ell going in and for several days afterwards. It hurt so bad I cried!

My guess is it was Rocephin. We don't give it IM very often but generally when we do, we reconstitute it with Lidocaine to lessen the pain, and use a method called "z-track" to give it so that it seals off and doesn't leak into surrounding tissue. Patients do complain that it burns like fire afterward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter