Nurses....what is the MOST painful Shot given

I've had the Rocephin shot before. I don't usually have a problem with shots but that one hurt. I know cortizone shots have got to hurt worse. I was holding my mom's hand while she was getting a shot in her wrist, bad idea , she nearly broke my hand.

When my kids have to have penicillin shots, the nurses there tell me it's the most painful shot they give.

The most painful shot I've ever had was some kind of antibiotic. I'm not sure what it was, but it hurt for several months afterwards.:eek: Someone told me the nurse might've hit a nerve with the needle or something like that.

I bet thats what it was because it hurt down my leg and all around the shot area. Like you could literally feel the medicine running down my leg.

well for me, cortizone is something I get a ton of(different areas) but for me the most painful is potassium and predisone......they so burn!!!!(cannot remember the other name for injected predisone) I did have antibiotics I think maybe Levaqiun....all these for me was thru IV, my veins got so bad...they had to move them, then they just did a pic....to cut down on the pain!!!!

It had to be Rocephin - a very powerful antiniotic - and like some have said, it is usually mixed with lidocaine to lessen the pain.

They said I have a really bad infection so I'm sure it was powerful. Thats probably it.

I had to have the rabies shots series when I was a kid and got bit by a stray dog. That was the worst I have ever had and I have had a ton of different shots in my life.

I vote for Cefadyl...especially if it's just been mixed. I always try to get the nurse to spike it with lidocaine--huge difference. It burns like fire going in otherwise.

It didn't compare at all but I had to do a Carbon Monoxide test once and the needle did hurt quite a bit. It was done in my hand.

My first thought was Rocephin. If you ever have it again make sure that they mix it with lidocaine, and give it z-trac. I think Vt b12 is also painfull, and ferritin .

Now you know why I refuse antibiotic shots! I will not let them shoot me - I can be halfdead and i won't =)

Yet I can do an IV infusion every 6 weeks...?

Wow! I'm amazed at all the IM antibiotics. We do PO or IV, never IM at our hospital, even in the ER.

I have heard that Propofol burns like the dickens when you push it, but usually the patients are not vey talkative at that point, so I can't be sure. :teeth:

nocnurse said:
Wow! I'm amazed at all the IM antibiotics. We do PO or IV, never IM at our hospital, even in the ER.

I think most of these are in doctors' offices. We also very rarely do IM in the hospital. Usually if we do, it's because the IV came out and there's only 1-2 doses left and the patient/family refuse to have the IV restarted. Personally, I'd rather have an IV than get any antibiotics IM! I still remember how bad my leg hurt from a bicillin shot when I was 7 - and that was almost 21 years ago! I had trouble walking for 3 days! :scared:

Laurie

I was going to say also I don't remember the last time I gave an IM injection - we either give IV, SQ or PO in the hospital, very rarely IM. (But when I do I use ZTrack). Even when I've gotten antibiotics myself in my doctor's office they placed an IV and gave it that way.

I'm with the rest of the crowd, probably Rocephin or Bicillin.

I will often start a line just to give Rocephin instead of giving it IM. However, when I DO give it intramuscularly, I will mix it with Lidocaine, give it z-track, and rapidly pat the area around the injection site while I'm pushing it slowly. It confuses the nerve endings, I learned that from a dentist.

Bicillin hurts like the dickens, but I've always been so sick from strep throat that I really didn't care whether it did or not. I'd rather withstand a little pain and get better sooner.

Phenergan has a pH of 4, so it BURNS, too. The trick is to give it slowly IM, or to dilute the heck out of it IV. I give MYSELF phenergan shots whenever I'm vomiting, so again, I usually am so sick I don't care.

I've heard people say that Depo hurts, but I've given it to myself before and didn't notice.

I had an injection of dye into my hip before an MRI a few years ago- They went in from the the front and I could feel the needle on the bone- and they were wiggling it around. That was the worse I've ever had- needle on bone.

I hope you feel better Beth!!

I, too, am amazed at the # of antibiotics being given IM. We don't IM antibitoics around her unless there is no IV access and no possibilty of getting IV access.

I have had steroid shots (for a really bad case of poison ivy) and that hurt like the dickens.

FWIW, if you are getting a shot, the bigger the muscle they put it into, the more area there is for the medication to spread over so it will hurt less. Translation: Get IM shots in your butt rather than your arm whenever possible. The wonderful ER nurse who gave me the steroid shot told me that, and I bless her to this day!!!

God knows, my butt is WAY bigger than my arm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shots don't bug me because I can actually separate myself from pain for things like that and talk myself out of not feeling it. But I can tell you the most uncomfortable shot I had and the one I had the hardest time convincing myself I didn't feel anything was when they stuck the needle into my knee for a cortisone shot.

My vote is the Rocephin also... back when my daughter was three, she had an infection bad enough to kill her :( It was just awful... but I didn't allow them to give her the Rocephin through injection, I made them go with the IV... giving an IV three days in a row to a three year old is awful, but nowhere near as bad as if I'd let them give it by the injection.... Dear God, she would never have looked at another doctor again!!

Now, this is unrelated to infection, but I have to get botox injections right into my jaw & shoulder muscles every few months... those hurt so bad I generally pass out :confused3 If the payoff wasn't so good (being able to talk) I'd never have those shots again...

I have had cortizone shots into the heels of both my feet. Seems like he puts the needle in to the bone and then digs it around. I'm not sure if that is what he is really doing, but that's what it feels like! Giving birth was less painful than that....

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter