Now that we are through Thanksgiving........

anniemae

Either she is eating a delicious
What about Christmas? I was just reading an article where Fauci was saying he is concerned that we are heading into a "dark holiday season" as the surge in cases is likely to persist through Christmas and New Years. Sigh. I am so looking forward to this pandemic getting under control. What do you all think will happen in the coming months? Things will get better or worse? Vaccine out next month? Will people gather/travel for Christmas? I just don't know what to think.

What about Christmas? I was just reading an article where Fauci was saying he is concerned that we are heading into a "dark holiday season" as the surge in cases is likely to persist through Christmas and New Years. Sigh. I am so looking forward to this pandemic getting under control. What do you all think will happen in the coming months? Things will get better or worse? Vaccine out next month? Will people gather/travel for Christmas? I just don't know what to think.

I am concerned also. We won't be going to any gatherings for the holidays, but I know of people who are. Cases have risen sharply in our area over the last few weeks. I am assuming that a vaccine will be out, but do not know if it will be next month. I am hoping people have the sense to stay home and follow the guidelines. I am just as tired of this and want it under control as almost everyone else, but if people don't listen, don't use common sense, then it's not going to get under control very quickly. :(

I think it’s going to get much worse. We will see the after affects of Thanksgiving just as we go into the Christmas holiday. You add normal family gathering times and Covid fatigue and I think it’s going to be a very ugly winter.

And I agree - we don’t start seeing any major relief until the vaccine is rolled to most of the masses. Hopefully by late Spring. But most likely Summer.

Even if the vaccine is out next month, there is NO way 328 million people are going to be vaccinated by Christmas or my birthday in January or Valentine's Day or St Patrick's Day or Easter, etc and etc. And when the majority get Covid or get the vaccine.........how long is it good for???? When do we really stop wearing the masks, social distancing and dealing with lockdowns?

Even if the vaccine is out next month, there is NO way 328 million people are going to be vaccinated by Christmas or my birthday in January or Valentine's Day or St Patrick's Day or Easter, etc and etc. And when the majority get Covid or get the vaccine.........how long is it good for???? When do we really stop wearing the masks, social distancing and dealing with lockdowns?

Only affluent people will be able to enjoy really top-notch vacations for awhile. It is still relatively easy to book private boat charters in the USVI, or guided multi-day hikes in the national parks.

None of the news coming from valid sources( my opinion) is "new". We all should have been assuming this was going to happen IF we didn't take the necessary precautions AND keep doing them long enough. Here we are. The end is not in sight, nor has it been since this all began. I know I sound like Charlie Brown. I am tired of Covid too!

Last edited:

I don’t think the effects of thanksgiving will be out enough to prevent christmas gatherings.

we isolated and visited my parents for thanksgiving (their choice as my mom is age
Her parents died and really wanted to see my son). after also having covid tests. We all agree we are not going to push our luck for Christmas. I can only hope others make same choice.

we’ve got months before normal occurs and too many people don’t understand the long term effects covid can leave.

True. I think they are saying by end of Dec they can start with the first groups to get the vaccine which I believe is healthcare workers. I guess I was hoping that as people got vaccinated, we would see cases start to drop as we move into the late winter/early spring. I had heard LA went back into lockdown, I sure hope more are not coming.

None of the news coming from valid sources( my opinion) is "new". We all should have been assuming this was going to happen IF we didn't take the necessary precautions AND keep doing them long enough. Here we are. The end is not is sight, nor has it been since this all began. I know I sound like Charlie Brown. I am tired of Covid too!

I hope people got the message who gathered for Thanksgiving. I hope they wore masks, or ate outdoors and distanced. I am hoping we don't see a big surge in cases over the next few weeks.

People in my area are so over coronavirus. So many are living life as if it were 2018.

Fortunately, my family and those I am in close association with are careful. We had a limited number for Thanksgiving. Our son and dil were exposed on Saturday and immediately began to quarantine and cancelled their plans to come here for Thanksgiving.

But so many others in the community have the fatigue and refuse to wear a mask and make fun of those who do take precautions. Cases are going up, up, up. But it doesn't matter to them. They are salty that any precautions are in place, holiday events and Mardi Gras are scaled back or canceled next year

I hope people got the message who gathered for Thanksgiving. I hope they wore masks, or ate outdoors and distanced. I am hoping we don't see a big surge in cases over the next few weeks.

This is exactly what we did with 7 of us for Thanksgiving. It was a truly lovely day even with the precautions

We went no where for Tgiving, saw only DS and fiance who are in our small bubble. Did not see DD or grands. Will try to meet DD and grands somewhere outdoors (5 hours apart) to hand over Christmas gifts next week or so. Christmas will be lonely.

We have been VERY careful since March and I have about had it with selfish people who refuse to get with the plan and continue to perpetuate this virus. I wish there was a way that careful people could get the vaccine first.

Last edited:
There were millions of people flying for Thanksgiving. Fauci says we'll know in 2 weeks how much of a spike that will produce. Then comes Christmas & New Years. Yes, people will travel and expose others. Then, in about 2 weeks we'll see another spike.

The vaccine - while it's possible that it may be available by the end of the year, there won't be enough for everyone to get it. I believe, initially, it's going to be health care workers, first responders, and high risk (elderly) living in group home situations. The priority after that can be confusing, as I think each state will dictate what their priority is. Mass availability of the vaccine for everyone won't probably be until at least next summer. So we are still going to have lots of cases/deaths before then. And, of course, not everyone is willing to get the vaccine.

Thankfully my little family of eight are all together all the time so we can be together for holidays.
I have three teachers in my family and my big fear is that schools will open up too soon. We have a huge supply of PPE in our living room waiting in case that happens.

We already decided to stay home for Christmas. We will do a video chat. It was a success yesterday. :)

Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that school remains open and safe for the next 3 weeks!

We will be alone for Christmas, just DH and I. Totally fine with it. We were alone for Thanksgiving.

We, as a country, are where we are because people are selfish and entitled or unwilling or refuse to grasp reality. SO we will continue to be where we are until the vaccine is widespread.

I don’t have high hopes for the next couple months but I’m also trying not to be all doom and gloom. I know we have a ways to go and I know things aren’t going to just magically get better, but the constant “it’s going to be a dark winter” and “our only hope is a vaccine” is getting really depressing.

I just really hope we can start rounding the corner early next year, if some people start getting vaccinated. I have a sister who lives in Florida, and we haven’t seen her since January. It’s been really hard for my parents. They were supposed to go down to Disney in March right after the parks closed, so they missed that chance to see her, and now they’re canceling a trip to go down the week after next. And she was supposed to come here for Christmas. The only thing I want right now is for them to get to see her in person soon. :guilty:

We went no where for Tgiving, saw only DS and fiance who are in our small bubble. Did not see DD or grands. Will try to meet DD and grands somewhere outdoors (5 hours apart) to hand over Christmas gifts next week or so. Christmas will be lonely.

We have been VERY careful since March and I have about had it with selfish people who refuse to get with the plan and continue to perpetuate this virus. I wish there was a way that careful people could get the virus first.
I assume you mean get the vaccine first? I agree. I know a virus is a virus and there’s no way to be 100% safe, but it’s so hard hearing about people who have been careful who still get it and people who are going to bars/parties/whatever all the time who are completely fine. I don’t wish it on anybody, but some people need a reality check.

We will be alone for Christmas, just DH and I. Totally fine with it. We were alone for Thanksgiving.

We, as a country, are where we are because people are selfish and entitled or unwilling or refuse to grasp reality. SO we will continue to be where we are until the vaccine is widespread.

The article I read about the dark winter coming up had comment after comment saying things like, "oh no the sky is falling" "Lets all hide in the house" "we celebrated thanksgiving and we will celebrate Christmas with extended family." "If masks work, why are we in such bad shaper huh?" I am trying to stay positive, but I am starting to get nervous for us as a country. Spring can't come fast enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter