Not Official: Big Changes to Disney Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited about these changes, especially since my parents will be joining us on our next trip and my dad (who will only be there for 8 of 11 days) won't be using all his meal credits, so my mother can apply some of theirs to my family, who will run out before our trip is over!

I know it's been mentioned about diabetics, but the ability to exchange dessert for salad, etc. is exciting news for those guests, who like me, can get tired of often eating the same pre-packaged gluten free offerings.
Sorry, someplace I mentioned those people with dietary restrictions.

My wife needs a reduced gluten diet.

There are so many alleges and/or people who simply avoid a host of foods, that some changes were a long time coming.

In just the past week or so - I've commented to folks regarding gluten, lactose, fructose, macro, no salt, no sugar, etc. Personally, my favorite was the person whose child could only have pure maple syrup sweetener or honey, but no sugar or fructose. We all have our needs and avoidances.

I wonder how the different eateries will interpret this change for the next few months. For example, will CS like Flame Tree that have a salad entree on the menu begin to make a side salad when asked, or will they just allow you to sub desert for only the sides that would normally come on a platter? Or, might they allow additional things like a baked potato or chilli cheese fries? What about TS that don't have soup and or salad as an appetizer. Might they allow something else? I'm interested to see how BOG CS handles this. The cupcake is ok, but I'd enjoy a soup instead.

These sound great!! Especially during Food/Wine, would be awesome to swap out a quick service for 3 snacks!

I was thinking the same thing - but we have no guarantee that they will continue to allow snack credits as in the past.

These sound great!! Especially during Food/Wine, would be awesome to swap out a quick service for 3 snacks!

I don't think this will happen. It sounds like the trade will have to be done with snacks in hand at one time, and only at some places (probably just the resorts). The change is only making formal what has been happening already at most resort QS places. I don't think it means you will be able to convert your QS credit into 3 snack credits to be used anywhere.

One more prediction from me: I see the child QS plan going away altogether. It will be one price for everyone. The question then will be if they will even offer kid's meals at the QS locations.

One more prediction from me: I see the child QS plan going away altogether. It will be one price for everyone. The question then will be if they will even offer kid's meals at the QS locations.

I am afraid I could see this happening. Kids meals at Disney are actually quite reasonably priced, but often not enough food for my kids when they approached "Disney adult" age. By far the biggest reason the DDP ever made financial sense for my family, though, was because of the drastic difference in kids price vs adults. It completely subsidized the adult expense to create a savings for us. While it would make sense (financially) for Disney not to offer adult QS meals at the kids price, they would lose many purchasers like me who know that a cheap child's plan is the only reason to buy DDP.

I am afraid I could see this happening. Kids meals at Disney are actually quite reasonably priced, but often not enough food for my kids when they approached "Disney adult" age. By far the biggest reason the DDP ever made financial sense for my family, though, was because of the drastic difference in kids price vs adults. It completely subsidized the adult expense to create a savings for us. While it would make sense (financially) for Disney not to offer adult QS meals at the kids price, they would lose many purchasers like me who know that a cheap child's plan is the only reason to buy DDP.

If they don't do away with the plan altogether, the prices will go up. The regular DDP price will have to go up if they're going to allow the kid's QS portion to be adult. I know people are really excited about the changes, but expect them to become an angry throng when the price hike is announced to pay for it.

What is the point of child QS pricing if they are now "officially" free to order from the adult menu? Just this change alone will cost Disney $$ as just one adult meal/drink/dessert costs more than the daily plan for kids. So, for $16 you could potentially get meals worth around $45/day/per child. This is a fantastic deal for families with kids under 10 but how fair is it for families with kids 10 and over who have to pay full price for their qs plans for basically the same choices in meals? They are not getting anything more. Disney runs the risk of alienating families of all adults from purchasing this plan who may feel they are subsidising the kid's plan. They probably have plans to increase the price but by how much more since it is already difficult to justify $42/day. My family has never considered purchasing the qs ddp but if we ever did, this change alone would probably make me go oop.

Flexibility is good. Hopefully it will reduce the delays at the cashier where people were trying to figure what they could get on the dining plan. At the Polynesian Captain Cooks it seemed like the cashiers were constantly telling customers they couldn't have everything on their tray unless they were willing to pay extra OR people didn't take enough food.
The logo for snack credits is clear and easy to understand compared to people trying to figure out what things (smoothies, for example) qualify as a drink or dessert. Some of the reports suggest you could swap the dessert AND/OR beverage. I think there would be a lot less confusion and added wait time in counter service lines if the new plan is for an entree and any two items with the logo.

Edited to add: I keep seeing everyone talk about how nice it is for those who don't want dessert, but wouldn't it be just as nice for people eating at a resort to be able to get a side item instead of a drink when everyone on the plan has the refillable mug anyway?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of this being official yet?
Most sites seem to be reporting that the official announcement won't come until Thursday, but they should have it in "Soft Opening" mode already...Don't know if that's true, but that seems to be the consensus.

Being able to sub 3 snack credits for 1 QS sounds like a positive for us, esp with F&W coming up for us :)

I've seen this several times now, and I don't think you're reading things right. You will not be able to get 3 snacks for 1 QS at any location. The list is very limited. And since QS credits are not allowed at any F&W kiosks, I don't see this happening.

Title of the Thread: NOT OFFICIAL. Link came from wdwmagic - and states NOT OFFICIAL.

Your rude and sarcastic answer aside, the article, by the same name that inspired this post, said it would be official that day, and it had been past regular business hours when I had asked that.

I've seen this several times now, and I don't think you're reading things right. You will not be able to get 3 snacks for 1 QS at any location. The list is very limited. And since QS credits are not allowed at any F&W kiosks, I don't see this happening.
Aw, rats......but most of the F&W booths take the snack credits, right? If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the places to convert the QS to the snack credits will be the limiting factor? It sounds like things need to be ironed out for this so I'll just have to wait until the official announcement and rules.

Your rude and sarcastic answer aside, the article, by the same name that inspired this post, said it would be official that day, and it had been past regular business hours when I had asked that.
What's rude is you're simply making up facts.

The article from WDW was posted on a Sunday - there would be no 'regular business hours' on a Sunday.

Also, the title of that article did not mention these changes were NOT OFFICIAL - I did.

Further, the attached articles states quite clearly in it's opening sentence…and continues:

Changes will be taking place with the popular Disney Dining Plans. We haven’t seen a full official announcement yet, but the details we’re seeing are as follows:…..Beginning May 31, guests will be able to exchange some of their table-service credits and quick-service credits for snack items…...We’re expecting more confirmation on all of this later today, but from reports we’re hearing on the DISboards, this all looks to be going into effect today, May 31.

There was never any official announcement. WDWMagic was getting anecdotal evidence in real-time from Dissers at Disney World that a likely soft-opening of some changes had already begun. And WDWMagic appeared to have some unofficial release of information that could not actually be confirmed.

Moreover, for those who may know something about the Official Announcement - you were replied to 4 minutes after your question that an official reply may come as early as or as late as Thursday, depending on your position.

Have a nice day.

Personally, I don't see the child pricing going away. The dining plan is already ridiculously expensive IMO. For our family of five with young(ish) kids, the regular DP is $2100 for eight nights. Gimme a break Disney. We've had FD each year, so it's been a moot point, but I would never buy the dining plan, let alone if they bump it all to adult prices.

The child ordering an adult QS meal is nothing new. We've been doing this since 2010 with the dining plan every year (free dining offer). I think the 3 snacks for one QS has also been available at some locations, at least that's what my wife remembers.

This upcoming communication seems to be more of an official announcement of current practices, plus a few new flexibilities.

Love the TS swaps for dessert! Been a gripe of mine since our first visit.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter