• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not excited for this trip at all…

if the OP really doesn't want to go, they should probably go somewhere else, but seeing as they want a theme park destination and not Universal, I guess make the best of it would be the way to go. Take a look and decide if Genie Plus is something you want to use, whether you want to use it every day or just on certain days, or if you want to buy ILLs. then go for it and try for the best.

the issue you are going to have is that guests are currently flocking to Orlando, because they can't go overseas.

A positive attitude will do wonders. I had no excitement for our October trip because of the changes, but I was pleasantly surprised. We had a wonderful time. I am excited about our next trip this Feb. I read up a lot on the Genie+ and felt good about how to stack to get a good amount of rides. It worked for us combining rope drop and Genie+. Even rope drop is still very helpful. We mobil ordered while in a line and that worked out better than the old stand on a line and wait to order format.

We got Genie+ for MK, had a great time so got another ticket for a couple days later with just checking in on Genie. That worked well too. Didn´t go to any other parks. One or two days out of the week is good for us. We like to hang out at the resorts too for our vacation.

If you think your vacation will be a disappointment, then it probably will be, but if you go in without a lot of high expectations, then you may be pleasantly surprised.

the issue you are going to have is that guests are currently flocking to Orlando, because they can't go overseas.
This describes me totally. Since COVID I've not had an international option so I've gone to Orlando the last 3 years and Disney, while certainly fun, has failed to convert me to someone that wants to go back constantly. Assuming overseas is an option next year I'll likely be heading to either Spain, Greece, or Belgium. Universal, on the other hand, has me hooked. I'm looking at annual trips there every December if possible.

As to the original post, don't dread a trip to Disney, it will still be fun as long as you let it.

Without Hugging characters, a night time show in each park, And for that matter shows in general something feels baron and hollow about Disney World.

The structures and rides are there but something about the magic essence doesn’t seem there right now…

Because in his OP didn’t say he was “tentative”. He said he was “dreading” his trip. So people are saying it’s a lot of money to spend on something he is dreading.
Had he said nervous or tentative, that’s one thing. But dread is an entirely different thing. And no one should dread a vacation. Especially one that costs as much as WDW.

I think if you dread something, I don’t see how adding what is more work and structure to a vacation, will turn that around. Maybe it’s my age but if I already dread a vacation - it’s better to not go and find someplace else that lets you be excited about going. Vacations are too precious to dread.

I think you're taking the word "dread" too literally. I doubt the ops laying awake at night fretting about :scared: Genie+. Op also said he dreaded his very first trip to WDW because of the unknown. But after a few years of FP+ he became a pro like everyone else. Now he has to learn another new system so he's anxious like most of us. I've done twenty-two trips over the last sixteen years and I'm apprehensive about learning this new system too. Doesn't mean I don't want to go.

OP said he's been going annually for the last six years and has "such good memories." So rather than tell him to give up altogether, why not just empathize and reassure, or provide your own first hand account of Genie+. OP has since posted that he's trying to figure things out and going to do his best. So you see... he doesn't want to bail out, he just wants to lament a little bit.

Last edited:
Will it be the same trip? Nope. But you alone determine the vibe of the trip. As a previous poster said...into the unknown! Embrace the “new stuff” try it out, if you don’t like it, wing it! It’s all about the attitude. I’m not 100% on board with Genie, but, I’ll give it a go. Maybe I’ll like it, maybe I won’t, maybe I’ll pay for LL,.... heck you’re at WDW!

I think you're taking the word "dread" too literally. I doubt the ops laying awake at night fretting about :scared: Genie+. Op also said he dreaded his very first trip to WDW because of the unknown. But after a few years of FP+ he became a pro like everyone else. Now he has to learn another new system so he's anxious like most of us. I've done twenty-two trips over the last sixteen years and I'm apprehensive about learning this new system too. Doesn't mean I don't want to go.

OP said he's been going annually for the last six years and has "such good memories." So rather than tell him to give up altogether, why not just empathize and reassure, or provide your own first hand account of Genie+. OP has since posted that he's trying to figure things out and going to do his best. So you see... he doesn't want to bail out, he just wants to lament a bit.

I am a literal person. I’m not one for games & drama. When people say something, I believe them. I don’t assume they mean something different.

We don’t seem to be the only posters who took the OP at his word that he “dreaded” his vacation. You post you dread your vacation, most people are gonna believe you. And the answers he got reflect that.

And, BTW, he didn’t ask for anyone to change his mind.

If it weren’t for all the headaches of international travel right now I probably would be going somewhere else. But there’s so few warm weather destinations in the month of March here within driving distance…so DW or Universal are usually the play. And unfortunately I don’t have enough time to drop enough weight to get on Universal rides. DW is a little more forgiving in that regard

If you truly just want a warm destination then just go to Florida and not WDW.
But something makes me think that you do actually want to go and you just wanted to create a dramatic thread.

I know. I remember the feelings of dread before our first trip. Being nervous of the unknown. After being able to go three times under the old FastPass system I was starting to feel like a pro. Now I feel like I’m starting from scratch again to learn a new system. We always got all the rides in we wanted to do under the old system. Im just worried from the reports i’m reading that this new paid system, you may or may not get your money’s worth. Sounds like you pay for something that may or may not pan out depending on how crowded the parks are. If a system is in place you pay for, but then that service’s availability is gone within minutes…that’s a very flawed system.

We just returned and I agree with what you’re saying. We had two days (the Monday and Tuesday) before thanksgiving that genie + selections were completely gone after 11am. We bought two ILL rides and regular LL to make the most of the day. For a family of 4 that’s (approximately) an additional $170 a day to ride rides (including one maybe two max standby lines). Not to mention the 6:50 am wake up every morning to log in for LL passes and a two hour time change from mountain time for us. Nothing about the genie + option is relaxing and unfortunately it’s an option you choose during peak park times simply so you can ride more then 2 or 3 rides - and side note: we did arrive at rope drop to ride as many rides as we could - this only worked at MK. We came home saying it just felt kinda “icky” - we had fun because rides and family time are fun but the ick factor was still there

We just returned and I agree with what you’re saying. We had two days (the Monday and Tuesday) before thanksgiving that genie + selections were completely gone after 11am. We bought two ILL rides and regular LL to make the most of the day. For a family of 4 that’s (approximately) an additional $170 a day to ride rides (including one maybe two max standby lines). Not to mention the 6:50 am wake up every morning to log in for LL passes and a two hour time change from mountain time for us. Nothing about the genie + option is relaxing and unfortunately it’s an option you choose during peak park times simply so you can ride more then 2 or 3 rides - and side note: we did arrive at rope drop to ride as many rides as we could - this only worked at MK. We came home saying it just felt kinda “icky” - we had fun because rides and family time are fun but the ick factor was still there
This is one of the things that seems a little kooky to me :confused:. You either have to stay up past midnight or get up before 7am to make that days first LL pass. Not that it would be unusual to be up at those times, but who wants to be messing with the app last or first thing of the day?

This is one of the things that seems a little kooky to me :confused:. You either have to stay up past midnight or get up before 7am to make that days first LL pass. Not that it would be unusual to be up at those times, but who wants to be messing with the app last or first thing of the day?
What does staying up after midnight do for you? I think you can just make selections at 7am, period.

Can you please elaborate that rope drop only worked for MK? I was planning rope dropping each park plus we get early entry. I was hoping we’d be able to knock out a couple rides before the crowds by doing that.
and side note: we did arrive at rope drop to ride as many rides as we could - this only worked at MK.

When COVID cancelled 90% of our vacation plans in 2020, I didn't realize how much it effected me until I saw a Fb posting of the R&C bartenders returning to EPCOT which reduced me to tears. We had one vacation hanging on by it's fingertips that DH was talking about cancelling until my episode.

WDW is no longer the carefree vacation of the past. It's back to every item being piecemeal = a lotta work. Talk about a reduced experience, you shoulda went in '20. 2020 was so restricted that every vacation in 2021 has been a bit better but if you haven't been to DL or WDW since '19 it is an eye opener and not in a good way.

I can get negative about WDW but I know that if I've a choice between a reduced experience or no experience, I'll take the reduction. Sometimes it feels like we're in a time warp and it's 1992 again.

This is what really bothers me. If you’re going to have a paid system, make it so you’re guaranteed to get on all the rides with minimal waits. I can’t stand when I see people on boards defending this Genie+ system stating it’s what a lot of other theme parks do. No, other theme parks if you pay for their skip-the-line system, you’re pretty much getting on all the rides quickly. This is the only system where I feel you pay money, but you may or may not get to skip lines…or if you do, it’s only 1 or 2. It feels like gambling. You’re paying this extra money at a chance to skip a couple lines. It’s incredibly backwards on Disney’s part. I don’t know what the ultimate solution is. I don’t know if a system like what Universal has could work at Disney. When we were last at Universal it was clear to me they don’t have near the crowds that Disney does. So their system is probably able to work well there at Universal. Maybe Disney just needs to eliminate these types of things altogether. The lines would move so much faster for everyone if there was no “genie+ or FastPass”. But of course I know that would never happen because that’s a lost revenue stream.
Nothing about the genie + option is relaxing and unfortunately it’s an option you choose during peak park times simply so you can ride more then 2 or 3 rides

Last edited:
So don’t go?? Why the drama… and don’t say your kids want to go or it’s “tradition”. Just don’t go. They don’t need your money or your bad karma
So OP isn't allowed to share his/her feelings on a discussion board?
If you truly just want a warm destination then just go to Florida and not WDW.
But something makes me think that you do actually want to go and you just wanted to create a dramatic thread.
You're sounding a bit like a Disney apologist i.e. take it or leave it and if you take it be grateful.

OP has a legit concern that Genie+ has I introduced negative variability into their expectation of enjoyment (not going to get into details).

For one reason or other people are emotionally tied to Disney and its not fair to say shut up or stay away.

You're sounding a bit like a Disney apologist i.e. take it or leave it and if you take it be grateful.

OP has a legit concern that Genie+ has I introduced negative variability into their expectation of enjoyment (not going to get into details).

For one reason or other people are emotionally tied to Disney and its not fair to say shut up or stay away.

To be fair no one here said the OP couldn't share feelings. No one said "shut up". It is fair and healthy for people to disagree with the OP and offer their feelings even if they disagree.

I hope this new Genie+ backfires spectacularly on them.

Agreed but based on recent trends the thing that backfires on Disney is that they realize they priced it too low and too many people will be buying Lightening Lane and Genie + making it less of a benefit than they advertised.

Who said that? And you’re just adding to the drama by making it out to be a big thing. If she’s free to voice her opinion, then so am I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter