Northerners running Marathons-how do you do keep up training come snow and yuck

So, late to the thread, but I love running in the cold. I will not run on ice, but run in pretty much anything else. As long as you have the right gear and keep your landing spot directly under you, you really don't have to worry about slipping. I have never fallen when running in the snow/slush.

Yeah, it is all about the gear. But be sure to carry a cell phone in case you get injured while out on a cold run. Being a few miles from home when it is 5 degrees outside and you are sweaty from a run can be dangerous.

So, late to the thread, but I love running in the cold. I will not run on ice, but run in pretty much anything else. As long as you have the right gear and keep your landing spot directly under you, you really don't have to worry about slipping. I have never fallen when running in the snow/slush.

Yeah, it is all about the gear. But be sure to carry a cell phone in case you get injured while out on a cold run. Being a few miles from home when it is 5 degrees outside and you are sweaty from a run can be dangerous.
Thank you! I do carry the phone, always good to have and better to be safe.

Cold, icy, snowy, dark = treadmill. Every time. I have been running for over 20 years and it has taken time for me to love the treadmill. I used to have to break an 8 mile run into two 4 mile sessions. Now, I will crank out 20 miles on a treadmill. Is it ideal?--no, but I hate running in snow and won't go near ice. I definitely credit the treadmill for making me faster and several running breakthroughs. I am fortunate enough to have access to different treadmills in different locations, including my basement.

If you absolutely can't do a tm, run in the street. Streets will be cleared before sidewalks. I live in a low key residential subdivision, so not much traffic. I actually run in the street year round.

Cold, icy, snowy, dark = treadmill. Every time. I have been running for over 20 years and it has taken time for me to love the treadmill. I used to have to break an 8 mile run into two 4 mile sessions. Now, I will crank out 20 miles on a treadmill. Is it ideal?--no, but I hate running in snow and won't go near ice. I definitely credit the treadmill for making me faster and several running breakthroughs. I am fortunate enough to have access to different treadmills in different locations, including my basement.

If you absolutely can't do a tm, run in the street. Streets will be cleared before sidewalks. I live in a low key residential subdivision, so not much traffic. I actually run in the street year round.
Oh my gosh, good for you!!!!!! 20 miles sheeesh while I know some of us can't even imagine 20 minutes :sad2: yippers, it may have to be street training or I may have to fly down to Disney every.single.weekend. for training. Just sayin'

It stinks! Even worse than training for a winter marathon is training for a spring marathon! You don’t even really get started until January. My buddies who have run fall marathons complain about training in the heat but I’d rather that!

As far as clothes, it’s just a matter of base layers and having weather-appropriate shells. I tend to get pretty hot when I run so having enough layers is not too hard though when I trained in the winter of 2014 (the polar vortex winter here in MA) that was lousy.

My bigger issue is hydration. I tend to hydrate less in colder weather and invariably (be it a Disney race or the Boston marathon) the warmest day of my training will be race day.

Finally one of the best investments we made was to buy a treadmill. Weekend runs during the day are fine in the winter but during the week it gets light late in the AM and it gets dark so early in the PM that I really don’t like going out for runs in the cold and dark. The treadmill makes that easier. Plus if we get a true nor’easter I don’t have to do a long(ish) run outside in like 18” of snow.

It stinks! Even worse than training for a winter marathon is training for a spring marathon! You don’t even really get started until January. My buddies who have run fall marathons complain about training in the heat but I’d rather that!

As far as clothes, it’s just a matter of base layers and having weather-appropriate shells. I tend to get pretty hot when I run so having enough layers is not too hard though when I trained in the winter of 2014 (the polar vortex winter here in MA) that was lousy.

My bigger issue is hydration. I tend to hydrate less in colder weather and invariably (be it a Disney race or the Boston marathon) the warmest day of my training will be race day.

Finally one of the best investments we made was to buy a treadmill. Weekend runs during the day are fine in the winter but during the week it gets light late in the AM and it gets dark so early in the PM that I really don’t like going out for runs in the cold and dark. The treadmill makes that easier. Plus if we get a true nor’easter I don’t have to do a long(ish) run outside in like 18” of snow.
And this is what I was waiting for. I work during the day, there's only a few hours of sunlight and I don't get to run during those. There's two areas that are well lit I run during the winter but it takes me a good 30 minutes to drive out there from work/home so I lose time again during the week. Well lit areas also mean busier roads and I'd have to invest in reflective gear or a light to train this winter. And I too hydrate a lot less once it cools down but try to compensate before hand earlier in the day and before after the run.

I want to add that you can get creative about finding plowed places to run. I am lucky to have one park in my 20-mile radius that has a paved 1.25 mile loop through it. It always gets plowed. It can be a lot of loops but at least the run gets done. I’ve also run around my mother in laws senior community. Always plowed and lots of snowbirds live there so traffic is very low in the winter. While you’re driving around your neighborhood start looking for good candidate places before you get a snow dump and it’s an emergency.
I have a pair of Yaktrax and don’t love them but it’s possible I’m not wearing them correctly. As others have said a short stride is a lifesaver in winter conditions.

And this is what I was waiting for. I work during the day, there's only a few hours of sunlight and I don't get to run during those. There's two areas that are well lit I run during the winter but it takes me a good 30 minutes to drive out there from work/home so I lose time again during the week. Well lit areas also mean busier roads and I'd have to invest in reflective gear or a light to train this winter. And I too hydrate a lot less once it cools down but try to compensate before hand earlier in the day and before after the run.

I would second most of @DopeyBadger advice from earlier in the thread. He pretty much summed up how I run in the cold/snow/ice. And like he mentioned the Nox Tracer360 is great for making you more visible when running in low or limited light. It's pretty comfortable to wear. I also have a headlamp that I wear to help me see my path better. A lot of my runs are done on the shoulders of roads and have never had issues with cars seeing me as I run.

Big question: does anyone follow a particular strategy for keeping their feet dry in winter? I'm always concerned about running in slush or soft snow and getting it on the mesh portions of my shoes, since they aren't remotely waterproof. I realize I might be overthinking this, considering I did the last two miles of my recent 6 mile walk in the rain and my feet were fine. But that was summer, not winter. My options for running shoes that fit me correctly are very, very limited because I wear men's sizes but most men's shoes are too wide for my feet, so buying different shoes for winter is a difficult proposition.

My other big concern that held me back last winter was darkness + ice. We often have winters where the snow doesn't fully melt before it drops back below freezing and/or dumps more snow on us, so we'll have weeks, even a month or more at a time where there's a hard-packed layer of frost on the roads and sidewalks. Sidewalks don't get plowed, period, and the residential streets I'd be even remotely comfortable running on typically don't get plowed, either. Then, too, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home.

What I did learn is that the trail at the park gets plowed pretty regularly. The parts of the riverside trail outside the park are a lot more iffy, but that gives me a 1.33 mile loop if I'm willing to drive ten minutes (in warmer weather I make the trip there part of my run, but, well, see above). That works okay for daytime long runs on weekends, even if it's boring doing the same loop too many times. Still better than going to the gym and running on a treadmill (I kind of hate going to the gym, like...a lot). Haven't tried it at night on weekdays; my solution last winter was to put a rowing machine in the basement and substitute it for my midweek runs. It's a lot easier to convince myself to row in relative warmth with my good sound system next to me than to convince myself to go out into the freezing night, you know? And since I only substitute it for the shorter workouts I don't run into the treadmill boredom problem so hard. Would have bought a treadmill instead, but the ceiling is too low in the basement and I don't have anywhere else to put exercise equipment, so cross-training it is.

I have no strategy for dry feet other than to try and avoid slush and puddles (yeah, not helpful!) Of the two issues with wet--blistering and cold feet--I don't worry as much about cold feet. Mine don't seem to get too bad, but in severe weather I do have some wool socks that I would consider wearing. So far, my usual socks have held out in cases where my feet have gotten wet. But that hasn't been for lots of mile. I do run with a waist pack for long runs. If I was really desperate, I suppose I could pack a spare pair.

I hit the TM if conditions are icy. I don't mind snow--although traction is an issue (I don't have YakTrax/Nanospikes, etc). I'm fortunate to live in a residential area that gets plowed reasonably well (some roads before others), so I can cobble together a route that sticks to the roads that get plowed first/better than the others.

Big question: does anyone follow a particular strategy for keeping their feet dry in winter? I'm always concerned about running in slush or soft snow and getting it on the mesh portions of my shoes, since they aren't remotely waterproof. I realize I might be overthinking this, considering I did the last two miles of my recent 6 mile walk in the rain and my feet were fine. But that was summer, not winter. My options for running shoes that fit me correctly are very, very limited because I wear men's sizes but most men's shoes are too wide for my feet, so buying different shoes for winter is a difficult proposition.

My other big concern that held me back last winter was darkness + ice. We often have winters where the snow doesn't fully melt before it drops back below freezing and/or dumps more snow on us, so we'll have weeks, even a month or more at a time where there's a hard-packed layer of frost on the roads and sidewalks. Sidewalks don't get plowed, period, and the residential streets I'd be even remotely comfortable running on typically don't get plowed, either. Then, too, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home.

What I did learn is that the trail at the park gets plowed pretty regularly. The parts of the riverside trail outside the park are a lot more iffy, but that gives me a 1.33 mile loop if I'm willing to drive ten minutes (in warmer weather I make the trip there part of my run, but, well, see above). That works okay for daytime long runs on weekends, even if it's boring doing the same loop too many times. Still better than going to the gym and running on a treadmill (I kind of hate going to the gym, like...a lot). Haven't tried it at night on weekdays; my solution last winter was to put a rowing machine in the basement and substitute it for my midweek runs. It's a lot easier to convince myself to row in relative warmth with my good sound system next to me than to convince myself to go out into the freezing night, you know? And since I only substitute it for the shorter workouts I don't run into the treadmill boredom problem so hard. Would have bought a treadmill instead, but the ceiling is too low in the basement and I don't have anywhere else to put exercise equipment, so cross-training it is.
I think that’s a great idea of cross training

On the subject of layers: last winter I had a heck of a time getting my bottom half warm enough. I'm used to running in moisture wicking leggings, so I started with those and just kept layering on more leggings--nope, always too cold. Didn't matter if they were fleece lined, multiple layers of them with high socks, nope, always a cold butt and cold, stiff calves. Then I went to J.C. Penney and bought a big, thick, baggy pair of the ugliest men's sweatpants I'd ever seen and it was a night and day difference. I have to be mindful to wear leggings and socks underneath that give my skin full coverage, since the fabric (especially at the ankles) will rub my skin raw if there's direct contact (yeah guess how I learned that), but the combo of having both really thick fabric and a buffer of trapped air between the outside world and my skin makes all the difference. For some reason that's not an issue up top; I wear all form-fitting jackets and hoodies and it works great. Just not the legs for some reason.

Oh! One more goodie--ski goggles! I ran a 3 miler in the tail end of a blizzard last spring and I think I was the most comfortable person on the course because my eyes were protected from the wind and snow.

New England runner here....and I definitely prefer cold weather running over heat in the summer! I do skip outdoor runs if there is ice, but last year and the year before I only had to use a treadmill due to weather a few times!

I am also lucky to live near a town school, so our sidewalks get plowed - giving me enough to run on, until I can get to a low traffic neighborhood and run on the road (where it’s usually dry, ice free).

A few favorite things are yak tracks/spikes, nox gear vest, headlamp, skida hat, wool socks (darn tough, etc), sunglasses (snow glare is no joke!), sunscreen on the face, and fleece lined leggings.

Minnesota runner here.

Everyone has already offered a lot of great advice about winter running. Our treadmill went kaput last year so last winter was the first time I started running outside in the winter.

Here are some of my cold running strategies (after plenty of mistakes!):
-A headlamp and reflective tape for your clothing and/or shoes for morning and evening running (the tape is not a huge investment.)
-Layers, layers, layers! There's already a lot of good stuff about layering in different temps on this thread, so I'll try not to repeat too much, but here are some musts for me:
-I wear two layers of socks, usually a sock liner and a thick wool sock--I like Smartwool but there a lot of good brands.
-I also wear two layers of gloves. The first layer always gets really sweaty and cold without the second layer.
-Yaktrax changed my world. They are great for patchy sidewalks with slush, snow or ice. You still have to be careful and slow down, but the extra traction helps a ton.
-Cover as much as of your skin as you can. A balaclava hat or a Buff to cover your face is really helpful. You might feel like a burglar, but your nose will thank you!

My main concern traveling from the north is acclimating to the humidity in Florida. The Disney 2020 Marathon is my first time traveling to a different climate for a marathon, and to help acclimate to the humidity and potential heat in Florida, I'm considering adding a weekly Corepower yoga class the month leading up to the marathon. Corepower classes are conducted in rooms around 100 degrees with added humidity. Independent yoga studios with hot yoga classes would probably work too.
Thank you so much!

On the subject of layers: last winter I had a heck of a time getting my bottom half warm enough. I'm used to running in moisture wicking leggings, so I started with those and just kept layering on more leggings--nope, always too cold. Didn't matter if they were fleece lined, multiple layers of them with high socks, nope, always a cold butt and cold, stiff calves. Then I went to J.C. Penney and bought a big, thick, baggy pair of the ugliest men's sweatpants I'd ever seen and it was a night and day difference. I have to be mindful to wear leggings and socks underneath that give my skin full coverage, since the fabric (especially at the ankles) will rub my skin raw if there's direct contact (yeah guess how I learned that), but the combo of having both really thick fabric and a buffer of trapped air between the outside world and my skin makes all the difference. For some reason that's not an issue up top; I wear all form-fitting jackets and hoodies and it works great. Just not the legs for some reason.

Oh! One more goodie--ski goggles! I ran a 3 miler in the tail end of a blizzard last spring and I think I was the most comfortable person on the course because my eyes were protected from the wind and snow.
I love this. I wear men's sweatpants too. With compression socks to the knees underneath. I'm not kidding.

I run in it unless it's too icy, a blizzard or the wind chill is like 0 or below. However, this past winter I ran it and ended up pulling my glute and setting myself up for ongoing injuries after it from compensation. Basically, what I though was warm enough tights to run in didn't work to keep me warm. So just be super careful in cold making sure muscles are warm enough. I know some people can get away with wearing less, but what I've learned even after years of running it is I need more layers than others might.

I have used duck tape on my shoes for winter. Put a piece across the toe mesh to keep in heat and shield from moisture. Not 100% waterproof, but it helps a lot.

Greetings from Michigan! We get snow too. :rotfl2:

You have already received such great advice that I don't have much left to offer. I do take to the treadmill in smaller breaks (less than 10 miles) when I have to. Like the good advice from others, I invest in a great quality cold (sub zero cold) running gear, tons of smart wool socks to keep my feet warm and dry (which I wear year round by the way--hello, sweaty feet?). I also use "hot hands" for my feet and hands when I need to. They can be a life saver in the gloves or socks. I do wear gortex shoes (Brooks Ghost in gortex) in the snow, rain or sleet. I put tracks on for ice.

I also take advantage of indoor tracks when I can. But mostly, unless it's very icy out and I am concerned about a tumble, I try to take it outside as much as I can. Best wishes in your training!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter