Northerners running Marathons-how do you do keep up training come snow and yuck

Greetings from Michigan! We get snow too. :rotfl2:

You have already received such great advice that I don't have much left to offer. I do take to the treadmill in smaller breaks (less than 10 miles) when I have to. Like the good advice from others, I invest in a great quality cold (sub zero cold) running gear, tons of smart wool socks to keep my feet warm and dry (which I wear year round by the way--hello, sweaty feet?). I also use "hot hands" for my feet and hands when I need to. They can be a life saver in the gloves or socks. I do wear gortex shoes (Brooks Ghost in gortex) in the snow, rain or sleet. I put tracks on for ice.

I also take advantage of indoor tracks when I can. But mostly, unless it's very icy out and I am concerned about a tumble, I try to take it outside as much as I can. Best wishes in your training!!!
Thank you!

We have a world class trail system and a lot of it gets groomed in winter time which makes it pretty nice to run on. You just have to deal X-country skiers, who are, in general, a pretty smug bunch, at least round these parts.

One thing that kept me going last winter was the ability to warm myself by the fire of gnarliness while running out in the frozen wastelands and the constant questions of “are you really running out here?” “No, but it sure does look that way doesn’t it?”

But for real, it was damn cold. Figuring out wind directions was always an issue. And if it was particularly cold and no one was at the trailheads I packed it in for safety in case I injured myself. If you can make it through though, at least you prove to yourself that you were grittier than you thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter