• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

North Carolina

marygraycesmom said:
Hey! Well, I a Johnstonian (JoCoGirls ROCK!) /QUOTE]

I have a friend that sells the "JoCo" window stickers in her shop. We drive with pride!

Eoywin said:
We live right outside Asheville, NC :)

We are trying to determine... is it better / cheaper to fly or drive. I think it would be cheaper to drive, since we'd have to rent a car while there anyway.

What do you all think?

The drive from Asheville ran us about 9 hours. How many people are in your family? If you can't get an excellent rate and there are more than 2 people in your family I would say that driving would be your best bet.

Did you check out Bele Chere last weekend?

chell said:
The drive from Asheville ran us about 9 hours. How many people are in your family? If you can't get an excellent rate and there are more than 2 people in your family I would say that driving would be your best bet.

Did you check out Bele Chere last weekend?

It's just going to be me and my soon-to-be husband.

And nope... It was my fiancee's birthday weekend, and he doesn't like festivals.

Eoywin said:
It's just going to be me and my soon-to-be husband.

And nope... It was my fiancee's birthday weekend, and he doesn't like festivals.

I would only fly if you can find an excellent deal. The drive is a nice one.

That is my birthday weekend as well. Too many people go to it for my taste.

chell said:
I would only fly if you can find an excellent deal. The drive is a nice one.

That's what I figure. If we fly, we are going to have to rent a car, since we want to stay at a Disney resort, but we are going to spend a day at Universal Studios.

I have to leave a comment on the North Carolina post! Driving to Orlando was a HUGE deal for my family when I was a kid. They prepared more for the actual drive then the vacation itself! We always left late at night and got there in the morning. I slept pretty much the whole way and my parents each got about 6 hours of sleep. We would basically check into the hotel and go from there. :sunny:

We are driving down from Dunn(my mom's house) on August 30. Both my mom and I have to work that day, so we will be leaving around 4pm and getting to Disney around 1am. We just have a late day planned for the next day--DisneyQuest and DTD and we'll get a good nights rest that night. The other three days of our trip are jampacked, and then we drive back first thing Labor Day morning.

Marsha

We have always driven, I keep a log book with milage and time. If we drove non-stop it would have taken us 8 hours which I know we couldn't do. We only stop for gas/restroom stop and one quick drive through. We leave about 3:00-3:15 am and arrive about 12:30 pm at POP, check in, quick lunch and then take a nap until 6:00 pm. Then we're ready to eat at Ohanas about 7:30 pm that night. I have only 84 more days!!

withay said:
I have been on the Amtrak before, but in the wrong direction--to Washington DC.. Sorry I won't be of much help! But, my mom and I were wondering--how long is the train ride to Orlando?

About 13 hours. You leave Raleigh at 9:15pm and arrive thenext day at 10:15am in Orlando. Essentially sleep in couch overnight. This sort of saves me some time because I was going to drive during the same time, this allows me to sleep as well as my family. Also saves on gas and wear and tear on the vehicle.

Sorry about the slow response.

hbehrman said:
Sorry so late to this thread. Has anyone taken the train from Raleigh to Orlando/Kissimmee? If so, what did you do for transport from Amtrak to WDW on arrival?

We are going (me, DW, twin DD4) Sept 23rd to 30th and staying at POR, MNSSHP on 9/29. (Anybody doing MNSHHP on that date?) Leaving Raleigh 9:15 pm via Amtrak from the Raleigh station on the 23rd.

Oh, and we live out by Lake Wheeler South of Raleigh.

OMG! We are spittin' distance from you!

hbehrman said:
Sorry so late to this thread. Has anyone taken the train from Raleigh to Orlando/Kissimmee? If so, what did you do for transport from Amtrak to WDW on arrival?

We are going (me, DW, twin DD4) Sept 23rd to 30th and staying at POR, MNSSHP on 9/29. (Anybody doing MNSHHP on that date?) Leaving Raleigh 9:15 pm via Amtrak from the Raleigh station on the 23rd.

Oh, and we live out by Lake Wheeler South of Raleigh.

Also wanted to say, have you looked at Southwest? YOu can get RDU to MCO for $49 each way. That makes a 1.5 hour trip instead of 12-13 hours? WE looked into taking Amtrak last year, but decided against it. But it looks like you have already booked.

sorul82? said:
Also wanted to say, have you looked at Southwest? YOu can get RDU to MCO for $49 each way. That makes a 1.5 hour trip instead of 12-13 hours? WE looked into taking Amtrak last year, but decided against it. But it looks like you have already booked.

Actually it was down to $39 at one point. The train is still cheaper. Also, my inlaws are planning to take care of our youngest DS (18mths) while we take our twin DD4. If that falls through at the last minute we can cancel the train with no penalty and drive down. Also, the train is an adventure in itself, especially for the kids. Hopefully it will not be too delayed on the weekends.

hbehrman said:
Where are you spittin'? :wave2:

We are off of Graham Newton between Penny and Ten Ten.

We are more out in the county. Ten Ten/Old Stage area. :cool1:

Hey North Carolinians!! I think it is so interesting that Florida didn't get the brunt of the hurricane (at least I don't think so). Yet we came home to a house w/ no power...it finally came back. I am not expecting it to be on long though. I am so weird...I couldn't get ready for bed until the lights came back on!! And where are we going tomorrow? The beach. Carolina Beach actually. This just eases my anxieties about going to DW in Sept....if a hurricane arises, I'm just as likely to feel it here as I am there!

The DH and I are from Angier, NC. We have driven three times, flown once, actually we've "flown" on every trip :scared1: Lord, the drive back is MUCH worse than the drive down---the DH is a little "impatient" to get home once we hit the road to return.....flying, as in the "friendly skies" is a much better choice for us rather than "flying" on I-95!

That said---I start checking out Delta for a good price well in advance of our trip and the same with car rentals---it is a little more expensive to fly, but when you're anxious to get there---one hour and 42 minutes is a bargain and when you're TIRED and home is 9+ hrs away and the DH :love: (gotta love him) is driving like a MANIAC it's even more of a bargain :rolleyes1

We normally stop no more than two times---DO NOT DRINK A MOUNTAIN DEW OR COFFEE BEFORE LEAVING HOME....makes the ride feel like you're crawling :moped: and I-95 seem like the Hwy from #$!$*!__!$*@

Disney Nutz,

How far do you live from Broadwell's? I can get there in exactly 11 minutes!

Hi there!

We are about three miles from Broadwell's Nursery, we live in town near Wimberly Road.

So you're flying in September? We are flying in December, hopefully, if we're ever there at the same time, we can meet up and exchange LGMHPC! I see you "got" yours from Garner---we hit Fuquay-Varina!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter