No storm along Bay ?

With the new report that NBA is going to YC, I think there is a good chance that SAB is closed to guests longer than most hoped.

Yep. SAB almost certainly being set aside for exclusive use of the NBA (& possible MLS, given they’ll be next door at Swan & Dolphin).

At least the question as to why SAB was closed is settled. It wasn’t safety, money or a lifeguard shortage. It was for the NBA.
If they do open SAB for only the NBA that is so crappy. I’m angry thinking about it. We’re in the BCV August 1-9 and seriously thinking about that makes me so mad. I hope that’s not the case though but I guess at this point sadly I wouldn’t be surprised.

If they do open SAB for only the NBA that is so crappy. I’m angry thinking about it. We’re in the BCV August 1-9 and seriously thinking about that makes me so mad. I hope that’s not the case though but I guess at this point sadly I wouldn’t be surprised.

If all the information from the source reporting all this is accurate, it will be. The tweet says they’ll have pool access at their resorts and we know they won’t be sent to an obscure quiet pool.

I’m just irked that Disney has been passing all this off as safety measures when clearly that’s not it at all. Oh well, I cancelled the last of our reservations now, so no dog in the fight anymore, just really irked to find out my long standing reservation wasn’t cancelled because of circumstances beyond their control, but because of the NBA.

On to planning an alternative trip where I don’t have to compete with millionaire athletes!

If all the information from the source reporting all this is accurate, it will be. The tweet says they’ll have pool access at their resorts and we know they won’t be sent to an obscure quiet pool.

I’m just irked that Disney has been passing all this off as safety measures when clearly that’s not it at all. Oh well, I cancelled the last of our reservations now, so no dog in the fight anymore, just really irked to find out my long standing reservation wasn’t cancelled because of circumstances beyond their control, but because of the NBA.

On to planning an alternative trip where I don’t have to compete with millionaire athletes!
I agree with you. Everyone thinking their reasoning was safety. It’s the NBA. So disappointing really. So sorry you ended up cancelling. I read on an NBA thread that they might get backstage tours of the parks and attractions. I thought no one was stepping foot in the parks?? I copied and pasted the tweets from KeithSmithNBA.
“Per a Walt Disney World source: "We're looking forward to developing private experiences for NBA personnel. These could include backstage tours of our parks and attractions. We're going to make sure NBA personnel are entertained while they are our guests."
“More: "We're also committed to offering exclusive golfing and fishing access. We're open to offering private dining experiences at our many restaurants, or bringing those dining experiences to the NBA directly at their resorts. It will all be done with safety as the #1 priority."

Glad all these guys come first.

He also said-“Per a Disney source: Disney intends to use hosting the NBA for the remainder of this season as a tryout/pitch to host the NBA for a future annual in-season event. The hope is to show what Walt Disney World has to offer and how they can host the NBA on a regular basis.”

I hope not lol:rotfl2:

Last edited:
I agree with you. Everyone thinking their reasoning was safety. It’s the NBA. So disappointing really. So sorry you ended up cancelling. I read on an NBA thread that they might get backstage tours of the parks and attractions. I thought no one was stepping foot in the parks?? I copied and pasted the tweets from KeithSmithNBA.
“Per a Walt Disney World source: "We're looking forward to developing private experiences for NBA personnel. These could include backstage tours of our parks and attractions. We're going to make sure NBA personnel are entertained while they are our guests."
“More: "We're also committed to offering exclusive golfing and fishing access. We're open to offering private dining experiences at our many restaurants, or bringing those dining experiences to the NBA directly at their resorts. It will all be done with safety as the #1 priority."

Glad all these guys come first.

He also said-“Per a Disney source: Disney intends to use hosting the NBA for the remainder of this season as a tryout/pitch to host the NBA for a future annual in-season event. The hope is to show what Walt Disney World has to offer and how they can host the NBA on a regular basis.”

I hope not lol:rotfl2:

I think Disney is investing a lot of money in this, and they are really concerned that the players won’t want to come. So, they are trying to come up with everything they can to convince them it will be a positive experience. It’s not really any different than the way Disney treats many celebrities, it’s just not usually so many at one time taking over entire resorts.

I think there’s still a week or so before the players have to commit to actually coming to play.

We don’t know that the gondolas will be open either, but SAB isn’t being kept closed for safety reasons, IMO. It’s a cost cutting measure. They have said there will be capacity limits at the pools. That does mean there may be times when you won’t have access to the pool at the resort you’re staying at.

Right now, only the DVC portions of each of their resorts is open. I would hope by the time the cash sides open, they’d open SAB as well.

Hi where have they said there will be capacity limits at pools? We are staying at WL in late August and if they are really limiting access to the pools, that would be a deal breaker for us.

Hi where have they said there will be capacity limits at pools? We are staying at WL in late August and if they are really limiting access to the pools, that would be a deal breaker for us.
There are always capacity limits on pools, but specifically reduced capacity limits was posted on the rumors thread some time back. I can't specifically link it to you now without a very time consuming search. But it's there if you want to hunt for it.

It's here under Resort Amenities and Recreation:
Pools
  • Feature pools may operate with reduced hours; leisure pools will be open 24 hours a day
  • Pools will operate with reduced capacity to allow for physical distancing
  • Select poolside activities may be available at select Resort hotels
  • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will not be available during the initial reopening period; Guests of this Disney Resort hotel may enjoy the leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas or the Luna Park Pool and leisure pool at Disney’s BoardWalk Villas

I still say NBA won't be in SAB. YC teams are expected to be the first out (or moved). So, YC/BC hopefully reopens after that (Labor Day weekend at the latest) along with SAB. Too much ability to walk by SAB and gawk at them/photograph. The leisure pool should suffice, especially given the team schedules. They aren't really at the hotel during the day from what I have seen. On game days they don't even get back until like 11 pm.

I still say NBA won't be in SAB. YC teams are expected to be the first out (or moved). So, YC/BC hopefully reopens after that (Labor Day weekend at the latest) along with SAB. Too much ability to walk by SAB and gawk at them/photograph. The leisure pool should suffice, especially given the team schedules. They aren't really at the hotel during the day from what I have seen. On game days they don't even get back until like 11 pm.
A lot of players are bringing their families with them. That's who'll be using the pool during the day.

I really think everyone is wrong in assuming the NBA will get exclusive use of SAB. It doesn't make sense with their whole bubble concept. They are not going to put a bunch of NBA players and/or families in SAB which is the least secluded pool in WDW. It is right along the public walkway on one side and right along the access to Beaches and Cream on the other side. Both are public spaces open to regular guests that they don't want the NBA bubble interacting with.

A lot of players are bringing their families with them. That's who'll be using the pool during the day.
That may be true. But from what I've read, the teams at YC are the 8 trying to get into the playoffs. Most likely they will be the first out or moved as other teams are eliminated.
I also agree that if the NBA wasn't there SAB would not be open just for the number of people at BC DVC. NOt enough people for the staff needed for SAB. I expect it to be open when all of YC and BC are open and the NBA has moved.

I don’t know if they will use or not, but I bet as long as they are there, I think they will keep BC closed too and only have BCV open. Lots of owners switching out of BCV because of the pool not being opened. iMO, they will keep it closed for that reason...it will really limit people at that resort.

which would mean it’s still about money lol
it’s ALWAYS about the money...and a penny saved is a penny earned😉. what chaps my buns is the fact disney won’t just say that lol they are hiding it behind a vail of covid smh. and i know that once you get away with something your bound to do it again so I just hope this isn’t a trend.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter