No ponchos on Frozen

I'm not saying it never happens. But when I see threads with 90% of the people saying they get soaked every time, and I've ridden it dozens of times at various times of the years and never gotten wet, it's not just a matter of experiences. Many people are exaggerating or remembering it worse than it really was.
Or, it has recently changed and you DO get wet now.

This isn't a big deal. Restaurant isn't going to kick you out for being a little wet and by the time you walk to your fancy dinner, you'll be drying off in the process.

But it was a big deal to the OP. We don't know what fabrics she was wearing, what color it was. We don't know if she's sentivie to the air conditioning in restaurants. This was about her comfort level. Walking into a nice restaurant with wet clothing isn't going to feel comfy for many people.

And with the humidity of FL I'm trying to figure out how she could have dried off.

Majority of the time yes. I've been on plenty of rides at Disney where they ask people to remove their ponchos once their indoors while waiting for rides.

I'm assuming it has to do with they don't want water dripping everywhere and making the floors potentially slippery

While waiting is one thing. Although you'll only be drooling on the floor if it was raining outside, and if it was raining and people weren't wearing them THEY will be dripping as well... While riding is another. She was told to not wear it while riding.

People on this board tend to exaggerate how wet they get on rides for some reason. Like, by a lot. I used to argue with them, then I began to question my sanity or how I could have SO MUCH anecdotal evidence from myself and others to contradict them. Then I finally just realized I had to let it go and let them think what they want. I've never gotten wet on Frozen, or Pirates, and very rarely on Splash.

I find it hard to believe that you have followed dry people around in he parks then read what ty out on the dos about how wet they got. Because that's the only way you would know that they were exaggerating how wet they got.

It's lovely that you never get splashed. I'm so pleased for you. I wish I had had your experience over the years. I've seen people get off Grizzly in DCA dry, too. Was that you? Lucky I've seen dry people exit my same boat, when we were wet from head to toe.

I'm not saying it never happens. But when I see threads with 90% of the people saying they get soaked every time, and I've ridden it dozens of times at various times of the years and never gotten wet, it's not just a matter of experiences. Many people are exaggerating or remembering it worse than it really was.

People don't say "I always get drenched", they are saying "you CAN get drenched". There's a huge difference that you aren't hearing.

My cousin and her husband had been riding splash at MK since their teens and had never gotten wet. They had ignored the people leaving the ride damp, the wet pathway out, for years. They scoffed at us. It was our first visit. What did we know?

And they got utterly absolutely drenched. And we, behind them, didn't get anywhere near as wet as them.

On the plus side, the dry air of SoCal helps you dry off faster, even though it's not as hot as Florida.

Yea. Unless you're literally wearing cotton everything like DH was on anaheim's splash back in '07. That was some unfortunate chafing that day...

My brother got just as soaked but he was wearing dri-fit type clothes and dried quickly.

But it was a big deal to the OP. We don't know what fabrics she was wearing, what color it was. We don't know if she's sentivie to the air conditioning in restaurants. This was about her comfort level. Walking into a nice restaurant with wet clothing isn't going to feel comfy for many people.

And with the humidity of FL I'm trying to figure out how she could have dried off.

While waiting is one thing. Although you'll only be drooling on the floor if it was raining outside, and if it was raining and people weren't wearing them THEY will be dripping as well... While riding is another. She was told to not wear it while riding.

I find it hard to believe that you have followed dry people around in he parks then read what ty out on the dos about how wet they got. Because that's the only way you would know that they were exaggerating how wet they got.

It's lovely that you never get splashed. I'm so pleased for you. I wish I had had your experience over the years. I've seen people get off Grizzly in DCA dry, too. Was that you? Lucky I've seen dry people exit my same boat, when we were wet from head to toe.

People don't say "I always get drenched", they are saying "you CAN get drenched". There's a huge difference that you aren't hearing.

My cousin and her husband had been riding splash at MK since their teens and had never gotten wet. They had ignored the people leaving the ride damp, the wet pathway out, for years. They scoffed at us. It was our first visit. What did we know?

And they got utterly absolutely drenched. And we, behind them, didn't get anywhere near as wet as them.

Yea. Unless you're literally wearing cotton everything like DH was on anaheim's splash back in '07. That was some unfortunate chafing that day...

My brother got just as soaked but he was wearing dri-fit type clothes and dried quickly.

Like I said originally, I have let it go and let people think what they want. I don't have to follow people around to know that people are exaggerating. It's a numbers game. If a few people said "I've on occasion gotten pretty wet" instead of every comment reading "We always get drenched on splash mountain" and then turning around and getting personally offended as you have that someone dares to question it, then that would be a different matter. I have no doubts people on occasion people get wet on certain rides. That's not the same as the way people carry on about it on here as if they can't ride it anymore. And to answer your question, no. I always get wet on GRR and Kali. That's a true wet ride, which people pretend Splash and now Frozen are.

FYI, not sure if it is a new policy or what but a few months ago my DH and I were in MK while it was raining and when we went into Pirates we were told we had to remove our ponchos to ride. There were a couple of boats that would not launch until someone removed their poncho once seated.

For what it's worth, we have been asked to remove ponchos on Gran Fiesta Tour on numerous occasions. :scratchin Was always puzzled by that but never questioned why...the dude abides.

p.s.Let me qualify...we had poncho's on because we were coming in from the rain, not for the ride.

Last edited:
Maybe a conspiracy to reduce demand for the ride? Only people willing to be soaked for their Anna and Elsa fix are allowed on the ride. It weeds out casual fans and people just jumping on the Frozen bandwagon so that true devotees can ride more often?

(not really looking forward to wandering around Epcot with my 4 year old dressed in her drenched Elsa costume, but it looks like that is what I'm in for... I will be sure to wear quick dry clothes and tell DH to put his camera in a waterproof bag!)

I was thinking this is unfortunate with all of the little girls in princess dresses. Most parents know to do an outfit change for something like Splash Mountain, but this probably isn't on most people's radar.

Like I said originally, I have let it go and let people think what they want. I don't have to follow people around to know that people are exaggerating. It's a numbers game. If a few people said "I've on occasion gotten pretty wet" instead of every comment reading "We always get drenched on splash mountain" and then turning around and getting personally offended as you have that someone dares to question it, then that would be a different matter. I have no doubts people on occasion people get wet on certain rides. That's not the same as the way people carry on about it on here as if they can't ride it anymore. And to answer your question, no. I always get wet on GRR and Kali. That's a true wet ride, which people pretend Splash and now Frozen are.

I think people are mostly annoyed because they want to be properly prepared for the possibility of getting wet. I haven't really seen anyone claim that you are guaranteed to get drenched. I've gotten off probably every water ride at Disney without really getting wet (I think Kali always gets my feet, though), but I still like knowing it's a possibility and to plan around it. Whether that means changing out of sneakers and into sandals, wearing a poncho, riding last thing, etc.

Splash Mountain seems to turn off a lot of its water effects in the winter, I rarely get wet on it then, but I've definitely gotten wet on it. There's a reason the wait times decrease on cooler days and increase of hot days. It's not random chance.

I was thinking this is unfortunate with all of the little girls in princess dresses. Most parents know to do an outfit change for something like Splash Mountain, but this probably isn't on most people's radar.
Yep. My 3 year old's Elsa dress was completely soaked on FEA. We were in the front row. She cried for a good long while and refused to ride it again that trip. I can probably find one of our anna Elsa meet pictures from afterwards where it's super obvious the dress is soaked.

Splash is a true water ride, the days they have all of the effects running. That one when you circling the briar patch outside right by the big drop? When that thing is on I get nailed by it every time! You can tell by looking on the bridge where people like to hang out and wait. Some days it is dry, some days if you stand there you get wet.

Nobody forced her to get on the ride. She was told to take poncho off so at that point she had a decision to make. 1) Go the restaurant dry and looking fabulous or 2) Go on the ride and risk getting wet. She went for option #2 on her own accord.

So what am I missing here?

For what it's worth, we have been asked to remove ponchos on Gran Fiesta Tour on numerous occasions.

I'm genuinely curious, what's the need to wear a poncho on that one? I've literally never seen anyone leaving that ride with even a drop of water on them.

I always wonder on here why some folks question other people's experience. What's in it for a bunch of people to sit here typing in fibs? People can have different experiences at the same place and people can even have different perception of the same experience.

I tend to just believe people, when they write that something was great or awful or in this case, wet or dry :confused3

I'm genuinely curious, what's the need to wear a poncho on that one? I've literally never seen anyone leaving that ride with even a drop of water on them.

I took it to mean while guest was wearing a poncho due to inclement weather, coming into Mexico pavilion and being asked to remove poncho prior to boarding.

Nobody forced her to get on the ride. She was told to take poncho off so at that point she had a decision to make. 1) Go the restaurant dry and looking fabulous or 2) Go on the ride and risk getting wet. She went for option #2 on her own accord.

So what am I missing here?

The ability to be sympathetic????

That people are genuinely curious as to why the sudden rule on ponchos, when there wasn't one before???

I was in the parks last October right before the hurricane. It down-poured, as in, no poncho made any bit of difference. Between the rain and the wind I was soaked thru. Not one CM said anything about being inside and dripping on the floor. Not one CM told us to take our ponchos off when we went on a ride. Everything was already wet.

Safety rules are usually put in place because someone doing something on accident and lawyers get involved and fear a lawsuit so they just ban things for the majority, because of a minor problem. Think about all the warning labels on products.

In this case, I would bet someone accidentally tripped on their poncho and they decided it was a "safety" issue to all guests and just banned them rather than getting sued up their nose for having an unsafe ride.

The ability to be sympathetic????

That people are genuinely curious as to why the sudden rule on ponchos, when there wasn't one before???

I was in the parks last October right before the hurricane. It down-poured, as in, no poncho made any bit of difference. Between the rain and the wind I was soaked thru. Not one CM said anything about being inside and dripping on the floor. Not one CM told us to take our ponchos off when we went on a ride. Everything was already wet.

Sympathetic? The OP got a little wet before dinner. Oh God, the horrorrrrrrrrrr!

Could someone in the Poncho Situation perhaps kindly ask a CM what the safety reason is? If folks knew why they are being asked to remove the ponchos it may put some of the dissension to rest (outside the vague "safety concerns"). In my place of work we value the "Why behind the what". It seems to make people more willing to do things quickly and efficiently.

Just a thought.

Could someone in the Poncho Situation perhaps kindly ask a CM what the safety reason is? If folks knew why they are being asked to remove the ponchos it may put some of the dissension to rest (outside the vague "safety concerns"). In my place of work we value the "Why behind the what". It seems to make people more willing to do things quickly and efficiently.

Just a thought.

1) CM's may not see if you're holding anything under the poncho that shouldn't be there.
2) Poncho might slide over the edge of the boat and get caught on something.
3) As you're exiting, someone may accidentally step on poncho and trip.

Those are just a few of the things that come to mind.

We were in the front row in February and were completely soaked to the skin. It took hours for my jeans to dry and it was a sunny day.

We've nevre been, and go in about 2 weeks. I've been dithering on those FP, since I read this. We are a family of 4, and just what part of you gets wet? Like, I guess it's ok if a shirt or part of our shorts were to get a little wet, it will be so hot, we would dry quick, but I'm mostly worried about shoes, and if we hug our bags, would phone/camera be ok??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!