No kids in adult areas even with nursery closed?

My response was not intended to be snarky and I apologize if it came across that way. I intended it to be honest. In the OP's situation, my family would cancel and find another vacation and/or a different way to celebrate the anniversary. When I feel the price is too high for what is offered, I don't expect them to change what they offer or what they charge - I simply don't give them my money. I may be disappointed because what I want isn't available, but that's my issue not theirs.

I completely understand not wanting adults only areas to suddenly include babies and toddlers, but there is NO WAY that this cruise is worth what they are charging for it for my family with an infant and a 5 year old. The reductions in entertainment and childcare (not to mention meet and greets) are removing what makes Disney better for my family than a cruise that costs a third of the price.

I can't help but wonder what my family is supposed to be doing during all that extra time we can no longer be enjoying those spaces or shows-- hang out in our bedroom? Fight for space at the pool along with everyone else who isn't allowed at the show that night and who has no where for their kiddos to go? Watch Disney movies in my stateroom?

I'm glad they are resuming operations and glad that so many people don't seem to mind the tradeoffs (or perhaps aren't as affected by them), but there is no world in which this vacation even begins to be worth $8k for my family. I'm glad they are giving warning. The hard part is going to be breaking it to my daughter. I thought it was safe to make plans for April 2022, that things would likely be back to normal after the vaccine, so we were willing to make a huge splurge to celebrate her 6th birthday. This will be her 3rd birthday with celebrations ruined by the pandemic. :(

I agree. If my children were younger and see these changes, I would not be sailing at this time. The experience would be drastically changed since my children loved the oceaneers club/lab.

My children are older now where they are used to just hanging out with their friends. I'm sure the basketball area and shuffleboards may affect their experience, but after discussing the possible restrictions, they seem to be fine with it.

So, each family is different and, as I said, if my children would not be getting the full experience of the oceaneers club/lab, we would wait until it's right for us.

I get it. I wouldn't want to skip these items when my kids were little either. But thankfully they're older and now I can enjoy child free time maybe too often since teenager think their parents are "creepy" or "annoying". But yeah I don't want to deal with other people's kids in an adult only experience.

I know how you feel, my daughter tries to avoid us on the cruise, but we always seem to run into her.:rotfl2:

My son is different...he's not a teen anymore, but even when he was, he didn't seem to have a problem if he saw us...it's usually my husband and I trying to avoid him.:lmao:

Opening Adult areas to kids would be opening a can of worms. It would snow ball with parents wanting their little ones admitted to all adult areas because it isn’t convenient for them not to be. If you aren’t happy with the way things on the cruise are right now or don’t want to adjust plans, then going on a cruise at this time may not be for your family.
re-evaluate your needs and do something that best suites you.

My response was not intended to be snarky and I apologize if it came across that way. I intended it to be honest. In the OP's situation, my family would cancel and find another vacation and/or a different way to celebrate the anniversary. When I feel the price is too high for what is offered, I don't expect them to change what they offer or what they charge - I simply don't give them my money. I may be disappointed because what I want isn't available, but that's my issue not theirs.

I agree. I wouldn't go either if that's my issue. I think people are just wondering if DCL would decide to provide accommodations if they remove a service and, it's possible DCL would do something to help, but I don't think they can do what the OP is suggesting. It's not a small thing and it will affect other's enjoyment.

Perhaps DCL could offer something like private babysitting service but I can imagine a logistic issue.

yes, i agree. I posted in another thread that the silver lining of these protocols is that it took cruising off the list of possible vacation ideas

I can't help but wonder what my family is supposed to be doing during all that extra time we can no longer be enjoying those spaces or shows-- hang out in our bedroom? Fight for space at the pool along with everyone else who isn't allowed at the show that night and who has no where for their kiddos to go? Watch Disney movies in my stateroom?

With you 100% - in another thread I posted that something similar - "what is my son supposed to do if he cant go to kids club, only gets and hour or two on the pool deck, can't play basketball or other sports" - the response was "spend quality family time" :rolleyes2

But to your point, how "quality" is it going to be when you're stuck in your stateroom watching movies? Frankly, there is NOT a lot of to on a cruise without sports, ping pong, clubs, etc.

We play board games and card games at home. We watch movies & TV at home. We go out to eat at "home". We vacation for other opportunities and one huge timesink on DCL is hanging out on the pool deck getting watching tunnel vision and getting fat on unlimited soft serve :) - this is the equivalent to sitting on the beach for hours building sand castles - taking away just this ONE option is a tough sell...

I think these are snarky responses.

One of the appeals of DCL - and part of the premium price - is the kid-oriented activities such as kids clubs & nursery. Kids deserve vacation too and getting away from their day-to-day is imporant too. My son is an extrovert and absolutely LOVES meeting new friends and having access to counselor-lead activities. Letting him do what HE wants to do - away from us - doesnt diminish the "family vacation" aspect of the cruise.

I think the OP has an excellent point. While I dont believe they should let kids in Palo, Remy, and adult bars, I dont think DCL full understands the downstream impact of their decision to reduce kid-oriented offerings.
Sorry, it wasn't intended to be snarky. Just my opinion to the suggestion.

Things are different now. And will be for a while. But it will pass, and things will get to be more "normal" (like they used to be). But we must be patient and make some changes as to how we live right now.

Straight up, it is quite reasonable for families with young children to be excluding many types of vacation as possibilities right now. Cruising would be very high on the list of those where the value prop is not there with a lack of youth vaccines, and related restrictions as a result - and not just the onboard experience, but the specific rules to be allowed into various ports of call. The Dream 3/4 day double-dips don't show the issues, but if the longer cruises start going and trying to call in the USVI or BVI, the additional restrictions will quickly become obvious and people won't like them either.

I think the OP has an excellent point. While I dont believe they should let kids in Palo, Remy, and adult bars, I dont think DCL full understands the downstream impact of their decision to reduce kid-oriented offerings.

Of course they do. They didn't do this arbitrarily. I think they know the impact it will have, but for various reasons, chiefly the pandemic, it's not possible to offer this at this time. If this is a dealbreaker, something that will cause you to not enjoy the cruise you booked, then cancel or reschedule. The changes have been made clear ahead of time and honestly, I get why some might not see a DCL trip as the best choice for their family at this time as a result.

There are way more spaces on a DCL ship that allow children than don't. Those who wish for no kids should not have to deal with encroachment of them in the adult only spaces just so some parents get to enjoy an optional experience.

I understand the OP point, but... Most are making some sort of concessions due to restrictions to go on these cruises. Maybe it is the masking or they don't like the way Cabanas is being set up. Or the lack of shuffleboard etc. So with those concessions you need to decide- can I deal with this and still go and have a good cruise. Is it worth it to me? Can I skip Palo this trip and still be happy? Personally, if I had kids in the clubs, and I knew they loved going to the clubs or I wanted adult time and clubs/nursery were not available, I would consider a different type of vacation at this time. This pandemic won't be forever, although some days it sure feels that way.

Does anyone know if they're adjusting the no kids requirements for some areas since the nursery will be closed?

We were hoping to go to Palo or Remy for our anniversary, but we will have a 1 year old with us that now has no childcare option onboard. :(

I feel like they should adjust the rules if they're taking away the nursery, otherwise parents of very young children are going to have a greatly diminished experience with no opportunity to do a lot of the things on the ship.
No way. Absolutely not. This is exactly why Disney is allowing everyone, including concierge guests, to get a full refund for another week from now after learning about the new protocols. If you don't think the cruise would be worthwhile, then you should cancel. Disney would never admit this, but they're probably trying to get families with young ones to cancel, because none of them will be vaccinated anytime soon (especially babies/toddlers). It also isn't a very safe time to take your baby on a cruise, unvaccinated, in the middle of a pandemic.

I have a 16 year-old, who is very well-mannered in restaurants & always has been, wears a suit in the MDR on formal nights, etc. He would love Palo, but we respect the rule that he can't dine there until he is 18. For several years, as a single mom, I've dined at Palo alone, because he's not old enough to go. When he is 18, he'll dine there with me at last. And I won't want someone's crying baby or hyper toddler spoiling the atmosphere when that happens.

When I go to relax in the adult hot tub, I don't want kids playing around me. I love kids, but as a mom, aunt and elementary school teacher I already get enough time with them on a regular basis, and some people, unfortunately, do not make their children behave properly in public places. I don't want to be around that all the time on my vacation, and I know I'm not alone in that opinion. Disney allowing the kids everywhere would ruin the adult areas for most of the adults.

Last edited:
I think the nursery being closed will be the norm until children of that age can be vaccinated. A nursery now would have to be the worst place now for risk of getting sick. In the past didn't they close the nurseries when there was a norovirus outbreak?
Daycares & classrooms are like virus-producing factories during outbreaks. There's so much contact between kids, in such enclosed rooms. As an elementary teacher, I know that first-hand, and have seen waves of flu pass through classrooms that literally end up with half or more of the class out with flu at the same time. And last year, my class (and other in-person classes) had to go into quarantine due to Covid, despite masking, distancing, sanitizing, etc. Some people seem to think kids don't spread Covid. I don't know where they get that idea, but it's wrong.

Last edited:
I think the nursery being closed will be the norm until children of that age can be vaccinated. A nursery now would have to be the worst place now for risk of getting sick. In the past didn't they close the nurseries when there was a norovirus outbreak?
I agree. Can you just imagine the optics if there’s an outbreak in a nursery on a cruise line? No way they want to risk that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter