No kids in adult areas even with nursery closed?

helenasue

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if they're adjusting the no kids requirements for some areas since the nursery will be closed?

We were hoping to go to Palo or Remy for our anniversary, but we will have a 1 year old with us that now has no childcare option onboard. :(

I feel like they should adjust the rules if they're taking away the nursery, otherwise parents of very young children are going to have a greatly diminished experience with no opportunity to do a lot of the things on the ship.

On the other hand, it also means that people in the adult spaces may have a greatly diminished experience if young children are allowed to be brought into those spaces.

I'd expect the status quo to hold, honestly, because either angle has its downsides.

On the other hand, it also means that people in the adult spaces may have a greatly diminished experience if young children are allowed to be brought into those spaces.

I'd expect the status quo to hold, honestly, because either angle has its downsides.

Agreed. Part of the selling point for DCL with adult-only parties is the adult-only areas.

IF they are going to change course and let infants and toddlers into those areas, they need to announce it with PLENTY of notice and reduce the prices in Palo and Remy to reflect that you're not getting the promised 18+ experience.

I would say they could perhaps offer the very first hour for those with infants/toddlers, BUT it would need to be made clear that is what that hour is for, and the people booking would need to know they only have an hour and then have to leave so that the CMs could totally turn the room for the people those spaces were intended for to enjoy it. Say families with infants/toddlers get 5-6pm where they all have to start at 5pm and be done by 6pm, the CMs turn the rooms from 6-6:30, and then 18+ parties could book beginning at 6:30 and not have to worry about noise and distractions they did NOT expect to have to deal with.

So now I am wondering if my 19-year-old who loves kids would be willing to trade a couple of her cruise hours to help me make back some of the money I spent on the cruise…also wondering what DCL would have to say about this sort of private contractor baby sitting service. I’m guessing it would either be “no” or “our percentage is X”.

The Magic sailings have no modifications that I have read about or seen on vlogs that suggest any alterations to adult-only areas to include children.

So now I am wondering if my 19-year-old who loves kids would be willing to trade a couple of her cruise hours to help me make back some of the money I spent on the cruise…also wondering what DCL would have to say about this sort of private contractor baby sitting service. I’m guessing it would either be “no” or “our percentage is X”.
LOL. Yeah, that would certainly be a huge liability issue as well as a contact tracing nighmare.

Agreed. Part of the selling point for DCL with adult-only parties is the adult-only areas.

IF they are going to change course and let infants and toddlers into those areas, they need to announce it with PLENTY of notice and reduce the prices in Palo and Remy to reflect that you're not getting the promised 18+ experience.

I would say they could perhaps offer the very first hour for those with infants/toddlers, BUT it would need to be made clear that is what that hour is for, and the people booking would need to know they only have an hour and then have to leave so that the CMs could totally turn the room for the people those spaces were intended for to enjoy it. Say families with infants/toddlers get 5-6pm where they all have to start at 5pm and be done by 6pm, the CMs turn the rooms from 6-6:30, and then 18+ parties could book beginning at 6:30 and not have to worry about noise and distractions they did NOT expect to have to deal with.

This sounds like a great compromise!

Honestly what do they do between Brunch and Dinner? Yes sure they prep and what not but with seating limited it seems they could add a linner offering for parents.

I know Disney has lots of things to think about but lets be honest this isn't rocket science. You are eliminating any under 3 childcare so they should bring in an alternative for those parents with special offerings of adult items where small children are allowed.

I don’t know that all of the Palo servers have afternoon duties, but I know quite a few of them have responsibilities on the pool deck, so I’m not sure that there are necessarily people available to serve an extra meal.

OP, perhaps if there’s a cruise group for your particular cruise, you could find other parents of toddlers in a similar situation and perhaps trade off some child watching duties.

To confirm on the Magic UK Staycation cruises which have no nursery there are no changes to the adult only areas. I agree with others that I wouldn't be happy if they did change this. I know it is hard if you don't have the option to put your child in the nursery and you miss out but there aren't that many adult only activities and its unfair on those that want to enjoy the child free time as well. You could then get people arguing when they can't book slots in the nursery that they should be allowed in because when the nursery was closed you let people bring them in. It opens the flood gates. These are adult only experiences for a reason.

There is no need for DCL to modify other rules to accommodate the lack of a nursery or limited Club/Lab access. Maybe a cruise isn't the right vacation for your family at this time. Weigh the pros and cons, decide if this cruise is really worth it, and set your expectations accordingly.

No, no, no....if you don't want to take care of your kids, delay sailing. I love kids and love my grandkids but adult space is adult space. Either resolve yourself that life after kids is different for 10 years or stay home. (Or bring Gramma for a free vacation .)

There is no need for DCL to modify other rules to accommodate the lack of a nursery or limited Club/Lab access. Maybe a cruise isn't the right vacation for your family at this time. Weigh the pros and cons, decide if this cruise is really worth it, and set your expectations accordingly.

I certainly hope not. There are some of us who prefer to take time off from being around kids. Now, if I were traveling with under 18s, I probably wouldn't plan on adult only time, since it's a family vacation.

I think these are snarky responses.

One of the appeals of DCL - and part of the premium price - is the kid-oriented activities such as kids clubs & nursery. Kids deserve vacation too and getting away from their day-to-day is imporant too. My son is an extrovert and absolutely LOVES meeting new friends and having access to counselor-lead activities. Letting him do what HE wants to do - away from us - doesnt diminish the "family vacation" aspect of the cruise.

I think the OP has an excellent point. While I dont believe they should let kids in Palo, Remy, and adult bars, I dont think DCL full understands the downstream impact of their decision to reduce kid-oriented offerings.

I dont think DCL full understands the downstream impact of their decision to reduce kid-oriented offerings.

I suspect they do. They are between a rock and a hard place as a family-oriented line where anyone under 12 isn't even eligible for vaccination at this point in time, and the limitations that presents even with vaccinated crew.

The reality of the pandemic is that, like with many other things this past year, what is possible with young children is simply different right now. It's not snarky, just the reality of where we are at. Evaluating available amenity and deciding if it is right for what you want of a family vacation, and if you believe the value is there, is appropriate. Each family unit can make their own choice, with an understanding that if DCL opened up all the adult-only areas, it would cause a different set of evaluation.

One of the appeals of DCL - and part of the premium price - is the kid-oriented activities such as kids clubs & nursery.

Sorry, but they also advertise adult-exclusive areas. And most other lines also offer kids' programming, so... No dice on that argument.

Families come in all shapes and sizes - some are adult only - and those adult only parties are paying the same premiums (and actually they are subsidizing the nursery and kids clubs which they will never use). Part of the trade-off is that they have adult-only spaces. They need to remain the same.

I completely understand not wanting adults only areas to suddenly include babies and toddlers, but there is NO WAY that this cruise is worth what they are charging for it for my family with an infant and a 5 year old. The reductions in entertainment and childcare (not to mention meet and greets) are removing what makes Disney better for my family than a cruise that costs a third of the price.

I can't help but wonder what my family is supposed to be doing during all that extra time we can no longer be enjoying those spaces or shows-- hang out in our bedroom? Fight for space at the pool along with everyone else who isn't allowed at the show that night and who has no where for their kiddos to go? Watch Disney movies in my stateroom?

I'm glad they are resuming operations and glad that so many people don't seem to mind the tradeoffs (or perhaps aren't as affected by them), but there is no world in which this vacation even begins to be worth $8k for my family. I'm glad they are giving warning. The hard part is going to be breaking it to my daughter. I thought it was safe to make plans for April 2022, that things would likely be back to normal after the vaccine, so we were willing to make a huge splurge to celebrate her 6th birthday. This will be her 3rd birthday with celebrations ruined by the pandemic. :(

I get it. I wouldn't want to skip these items when my kids were little either. But thankfully they're older and now I can enjoy child free time maybe too often since teenager think their parents are "creepy" or "annoying". But yeah I don't want to deal with other people's kids in an adult only experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter