No Cheese Danish! July 23-28 2020

Our next stop was going to try to get a seat at Nomad's Lounge. They were full and it was a bit of a wait. It was around 2:30 pm and our options were to stay in the park or go to the hotel. We still hadn't received a text that our room was ready. I know that not getting the text doesn't mean that your room hasn't been ready for hours, but I didn't want to chance it and have to sit in the lobby waiting. I got us a reservation at Tiffins so we could sit down and relax.

We started with some drinks and their bread.

IMG_1664.jpg IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1663.jpgIMG_1670.jpg

We decided to order two apps. We ordered two each since there were five of us.

IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1675.jpg

Everything was excellent! This was our first time here and I would like to come back for dinner. It's just always hard to stay the whole day until dinner and when we come early and leave in the afternoon, the thought of making the trek back always seems so tiring!

Last edited:
We headed out of AK and when we arrived at Kidani we were told our room was not ready yet. We were really tired and looking to get into our room to relax before dinner. The woman told us that rooms start to be ready at 4:00pm? I never heard that- I always thought your room would be ready BY 4:00pm. Anyway, we asked her if she could get us into a room now, and she made a magical phone call and poof! our room was ready! We were staying in a one-bedroom villa which was much needed after staying in a studio at the BW with four and a half adults (DD is very petite). After relaxing for a little bit, we headed to DS to have dinner at Chef Art Smith's.

We were so excited to be here! We started with some drinks of course. Moonshine flights and beer.

IMG_1679.jpg IMG_1682.jpg

We ordered two appetizers to share- hushpuppies and chicken biscuits. Both were awesome!

IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1684.jpg

We ordered way too much food for our entrees. No one finished their meals and we took the leftovers back to the hotel.

The Art Burger
Two beef patties topped with American cheese, Art's special sauce, tomato-bacon jam, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles on a brioche bun

Country Fried Steak
Perfectly seasoned, battered then fried, and topped with sawmill gravy served with creamy mashed potatoes and French green beans sautéed with caramelized onions

Fried Chicken & Doughnuts
Two pieces of Chef Art Smith's famous fried chicken served with house-made sugar doughnuts and creamy mashed potatoes

IMG_1820.jpg IMG_1819.jpg IMG_1818.jpg

Art's Famous Fried Chicken
Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, a cheddar drop biscuit and love

Thigh High Chicken Biscuits
Three biscuits topped with Chef Art's famous fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles. Drizzled with hot honey

IMG_1686.jpg IMG_1684.jpg

As you can see, we ordered the thigh high chicken biscuits for an appetizer and DH ordered them for his entree. Originally I was going to split them with him for our meal but decided to get my own dish. I should have stuck with splitting something with him! We were so full but we love it here.

We arrived at Mk. Soooo happy to be here!! Around 11:00am we were hungry and the only thing that was open around us was Pinocchio Village Haus. We got a pepperoni flatbread and chicken nuggets and fries. They both hit the spot. I don't think we ate too much at MK. We headed back to the hotel around 2:00pm and had some of our Chef Art Smith's leftovers and a few Tuskers.

IMG_1742.jpg

We were very excited about dinner. We were going to California Grill. We had only been here once before in 2017, and thought it was good but not one of our favorites. With the lack of signature restaurants open this trip, we were going to give it another try. We are so glad we did!

We started with some drinks and bread-

Blueberry Lemon Drop Martini
Three Olives Blueberry Vodka, Lemon and Pomegranate Juices, Sugared Rim

IMG_1817.jpg IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1769.jpg

Next we ordered-

Spicy Kazan Roll
Crab, Shrimp, Scallops, Tuna, Fireball Sauce (no picture)

A Selection of Farmhouse and Artisanal Cheeses
Five Unique Cheeses with Accompaniments

IMG_1816.jpg

Both were delicious!

We all but one ordered the filet for dinner. DS ordered the scallops but subbed in the polenta from the pork dish.

Oak-fired Filet of Beef
Aged Gouda Macaroni and Cheese, Brussels Sprouts, Oxtail Marmalade, Red Wine-Sweet Onion Jus

Jumbo Scallops
Lump Crab in Yuzu Vinaigrette, Carolina Gold Rice, Glazed Dragon Carrots, Shishito Beurre Blanc (Goat Cheese Polenta)

IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1814.jpg

These dishes were AMAZING! I almost forgot to mention the wine. We got a bottle with dinner. Since our favorite restaurant wasn't open this trip, we brought it in the only way we could- a bottle of South African wine. Not only was this one of the best wines we've had, but it only cost $49.00!

IMG_1776.jpg

We ordered two desserts to share.

Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate-whipped Panna Cotta, Pretzel Crunch

White Chocolate Crème Brûlée
Cornflake Crunch, Sponge Cake, Coconut Whipped Ganache, Plant City Strawberry Textures

IMG_1815.jpg IMG_1774.jpg

Seriously? Absolutely amazing!! My DS is still talking about the chocolate cake. This was one of our best dinners in all of our trips. We had such an amazing evening from start to finish. The view is spectacular, and I am glad we went a little later than our normal dinner time to see such an amazing view. (Our DS and his girlfriend also picked up the check to thank us for bringing them to Disney. With TIW it was just over $500!)

IMG_1762.jpg

You have me so ready for some Disney food. Glad to see California Grill redeemed itself for you all. It's always one of our favorites, but like you Jiko is definitely top of the list.

What fun! Thanks for the write ups!
You're welcome!
Pretzel and beer cheese sauce...yum!!
It is sooo good! Carbs and cheese? Yes!
You have me so ready for some Disney food. Glad to see California Grill redeemed itself for you all. It's always one of our favorites, but like you Jiko is definitely top of the list.
I can't wait for more of your reviews! And I can't wait for Jiko to open back up!
I'm so jealous... thank you for sharing. Can't wait to get back.
Hope you can get there soon!

Already our last day! :eek: Wow, this went by quickly! We were heading back to EP on our last day. We took a Lyft from AKV and made our way through the main entrance of EP for the first time in a long time. We headed straight to TT to wait for about 5-10 minutes before they made the announcement the ride was down. Oh well, maybe next time. We didn't have too much of anything for breakfast so we decided to head straight to the booths. First up was Refreshment Port.

Traditional Poutine: French Fries, Beef Gravy, and Cheese Curds- I really wish we ordered two of these. One is just not enough for five people!

IMG_1777.jpg

We got a beer at the beer popcorn cart in Canada. We also got a Canadian Cheddar Cheese and Bacon Soup served with a Pretzel Roll. We backtracked a little and went to the citrus blossom booth and got the Lobster Tail with Meyer Lemon Emulsion and Grilled Lemon and the Orange Cream Shake in a Souvenir Orange Bird Sipper Cup (Non-alcoholic). Everything was really good!

IMG_1778.jpg IMG_1779.jpg IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1782.jpg

We next stopped at the festival pavilion again. We got some of the items we got days before and a couple of new ones.

Guinness Baileys Milkshake, Seafood Fisherman’s Pie, Lobster Macaroni and Cheese with Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Sauce and Lobster Cream topped with Herbed Panko and Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese with Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese topped with Herbed Panko

IMG_1787.jpg IMG_1788.jpg IMG_1789.jpg IMG_1790.jpg

We also got Frozen S’mores with Whipped Cream Vodka and Liquid Nitro Chocolate Cake Pops with Crumbled Twix® Chocolate Bars

IMG_1791.jpg IMG_1792.jpg

We next stopped at R&C Pub again. We relaxed in the cool air while enjoying our beers. After that, we stopped at the booth in France and then L'Artisan des Glaces.

Goat Cheese Tart, Ice Cream Macaron and Cinnamon with Caramelized Pecan Ice Cream

IMG_1794.jpg IMG_1795.jpg IMG_1796.jpg IMG_1797.jpg

I saved the best for last from L'Artisan des Glaces. We have only been here a few times. I have always wanted to get either the Croque Glacé or the Ice Cream Martini and for some strange reason, we got the Croque glace (if you read my reports, you know the martini is right up my alley)! Anyway, this time I was not leaving before getting it.

IMG_1798.jpg

We got it with vanilla and Caramel Fleur de Sel Ice Cream and whipped cream vodka. 😍 MMMMMMMM! This was so good! I am super upset we never got this and I can't wait to get it in October!!!

After our day in EP, we headed back to AKV. We stopped at Sanaa Lounge and brought the bread service back to our room.

Indian-style Bread Service
Choice of Five Breads and with all Nine Accompaniments - Traditional Naan, Garlic-Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha, or Paneer Paratha. Accompaniments - Cucumber Raita, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Mango Chutney, Tomato-Date Jam, Tamarind Chutney, Coriander Chutney, Garlic Pickle, Red Chile Sambal, or Spicy Jalapeño-Lime Pickle

IMG_1804.jpg IMG_1805.jpg

This was so good!

Our last night's dinner was back at EP. DS had never been to Le Cellier and was very excited to go. I was tired and not very hungry :(

We started with the mussels. They were very good! DH and I shared a filet with risotto and DS and his GF shared one as well. We all split the loaded mashed potatoes. Everything was excellent! We all split the creme brulee which I love. Everyone thought it was great! I wish we were more hungry and was able to enjoy some drinks. One thing I have learned is that day drinking kills me! Hopefully, in October I will behave myself!

IMG_1806.jpg IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1811.jpg

We had such a wonderful trip. We really needed a mental break from covid and this trip did the trick! Thanks to everyone who followed along. I hope you all enjoyed the report and I will leave you with a picture of the best thing I have ever purchased from Disney!

IMG_1813.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter