NJ/MA to HH - do you drive or fly?

My parents used to own a house on Isle of Palm just outside of Charleston, SC. At the time we lived 25 miles south west of Boston. I made the drive down once. We left around 9pm and drove straight down I95. By day break we were just past DC before rush hour. The whole trip took about 17 hours.

I would recommend using 301 to get around DC. My inlaws live in southern Maryland and we just used 301 to come home on Sunday. We thought there would be a ton of traffic after the holiday weekend but there were hardly any cars. Once we reached I95 that was a different story.

We also used to live in Virginia Beach and used 301 to visit the inlaws all the time. There is hardly ever traffic on that road. Rush hour may have a little more traffic but nothing compared to the grid lock on the beltway.

We drive from suburban Boston all the time.(Natick) It takes about 16 hours and we usually stop over one night for convenience, but with 4 drivers that doesnt seem necessary. My sister has flown down to meet us from Boston also, and she flew into NC(Raleigh, I think) and a puddle-hopper to HHI airport. I don't do those little planes so its not an option for us. Plus you really need your car there. You can also fly into Savannah. I don't mind the drive...DH does alot of it. Its 6 hours shorter than WDW and we do that yearly also.
Connears

We just came back from vacation in disney-we drove with two sons--ages 5 and 7. It helped GREATLY to have the DH hook up our Gamecube--to the two screens that are already in the headrests of our car.....the boys also played Gameboy for a long time....they were excellent....at night---it helps that one son takes Benadryl for allergies---and our older son has ADHD--so he is on a medication that helps him settle down at night....which makes driving at night more bearable....ask your pediatrician if it would be ok before giving your child anything to help him sleep!!!!!
Airfare is expensive---and we like to bring some bulky food/ drink items from Costco down with us--like water and gatorade for the parks--so driving allows us to save money and bring stuff that doesn't fit into a suitcase!!!
We take 95 from Phila to Florida--but along the way there are beltways that allow you to miss the rush hour around most large cities.....traveling home on a Saturday was a lot smoother and quicker than a weekday--no rush hour anywhere to speak of--
hope that helps a bit!! Have fun!!!
amy

Cora-
You're not alone - I'm with you! I would never drive. It's not the kids, my kids (DD6 and DD9) are good in the car when they have their DVD players, it's me. I have back problems and the thought of that long in the car would kill me. We are flying to Savannah and renting a car. We are flying USAir and stopping in Charlotte on the way and Philadelphia (I think) on the way back. I had quite a few problems with US Air so I don't know if I would ever fly with them again but I still wouldn't resort to driving! We leave for HH in 9 days and I can't wait!

By the way, I work in Franklin and live in Norton so we are neighbors!

Shari

Shari,
My son (9 yrs) is fine in the car but I too have back problems and that is a major reason why I prefer to fly and...yes we are neighbors!
Cora

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter