Nikon D3000

sallysue66

DIS Veteran
OK, you guys helped & educated me tremendously a while back when I decided to move up from a P&S. After quite a bit of research and playing with them in stores I had narrowed my choices down to the Nikon D60 or Canon XSi with a strong lean toward the Nikon since I could get it in a 2 lens pack for $700 vs. $850 for the Canon (both with 18-55 & 55-200 IS/VR). But now comes word that Nikon is releasing the D3000 aimed at people just like me who need all the help they can get. It has a guide mode to explain the settings and what it does! So, has anyone ever seen such a guide and would it be worth it? Do you think the price of the D60 will come down after the new release? Will Canon come out with their own version of a guide? AHHH! Naming my kids was easier than this! Help!

*tongue in cheek* While I laud you for attempting to wait for better deals, you must be aware that once you buy a dslr, you will get bitten by some bug whether it be the better lens bug, the better camera next year bug, the tripod bug, etc. Money will become irrelevant to your endeavor.

Seriously, cameras are like computers, if you wait a month or two, something will come out that one ups whatever camera you decide to buy.

As for cameras with guides, if you like how it feels and you understand how it works and you think it would be worth it to help you understand photography, then look into it. The newer cameras aren't the ones that will generally have the two lens deals you are seeing now and what you could have with a D60 or the Canon XS.

The best way to learn photography is to get your camera that you are comfortable with and will use and then go out and use it. I've learned a lot from this forum and it will help me when I do take the next step from an entry-level dslr to the mid-level one in a year or two.

I personally don't think the D3000 would have an impact on the D60 price. I'd go with your best deal on a camera system you like now and will use now.\\

Here's a link for D3000 review from PopPhoto.com

http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2009/07/nikons-dslr-family-is-growing-once-again-with-the-release-of-two-models-aimed-at-very-different-users-the-d300-is-aimed-at.html?cid=10

What is it you like about the D60 over the D40, might I ask?

I got a D60 about a year ago because I thought it must be newer and better. It was newer, but after using it for a few months I honestly don't think it was any "better" than the D40, which was less expensive.

The D60 has more megapixels, slightly better results at higher ISOs, a vibration system that removes the dust from your sensor---but overall if you are looking for a good beginner's kit, I think the D40 would be just as good.

If I knew what I knew now and had to go back to purchase my camera again, I'd go with the D40, 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200VR as well.

Good luck!

Don't get a Canon, Gdad's daughter will mock it! ;)

The D3000 guide mode sounds interesting but it is probably quicker and more effective to take multiple exposures of the subject and compare them when you get home. Read some books and check the EXIF data for photos you like online, and you will probably learn faster than from using guide mode.

After using one of Canon's entry level dSLRs (after 7 years of higher level dSLRs) I like entry level models! My only complaint about Nikon's D40 and D60 is that they don't autofocus with the 50mm, and the new 35mm makes much of that moot anyway.

But I still like Canons better! ;)

What is it you like about the D60 over the D40, might I ask?

Honestly the only reason I planned to go with the D60 over the D40 was because the D60's kit 18-55 lens has VR and I was told that made it worth the $$ difference between the D40. Do you think VR is unnecessary on a 18-55?

Don't get a Canon, Gdad's daughter will mock it! ;)
Yea, I saw that. I've been mocked before! :laughing:

The D3000 guide mode sounds interesting but it is probably quicker and more effective to take multiple exposures of the subject and compare them when you get home. Read some books and check the EXIF data for photos you like online, and you will probably learn faster than from using guide mode.

You know you're probably right. Trial and error is usually my best learning strategy anyway. I do plan to take a course at the local CC this fall though.

BTW, Hi fellow NC'r.

Honestly the only reason I planned to go with the D60 over the D40 was because the D60's kit 18-55 lens has VR and I was told that made it worth the $$ difference between the D40. Do you think VR is unnecessary on a 18-55?

Honestly, I have no idea if it's "necessary" or not, there seem to be highly varying opinions on this.

I would definitely say if you are getting a lens with a longer focal length like the 55-200 that VR is necessary---the longer the focal length, the more helpful the vibration reduction will be. When I first got my D60 I took some pics with the kit lens with the VR on and the VR off and couldn't tell any difference at 100% crop outdoor in good lighting. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 18-55 without the VR, but others may have different opinions.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever decision you make. :thumbsup2

*tongue in cheek* While I laud you for attempting to wait for better deals, you must be aware that once you buy a dslr, you will get bitten by some bug whether it be the better lens bug, the better camera next year bug, the tripod bug, etc. Money will become irrelevant to your endeavor.

I'm afraid that may already be happening to me and I havent even bought the camera yet. I started out looking for an advanced P&S, then went on to the DSLR, now think I have to have the 2 lens kit...

Yikes, I may need to rethink this whole thing. I don't need another addiction. I just bought into DVC for my Disney habit.:lmao:

I have the 18-70mm lens which is a non vr lens. Personally I don't find any problems with it being a non vr lens. I feel that only once you get over say 100mm the vr is kind of a redundant thing to have imo. Others may differ on this. The only time it may come in handy would be in low light when you want to slow down your shutter speed. But then again the 18- 55mm is not a great low light lens to begin with. The 50mm 1.8 is, thus comes the problem of it not auto focusing on either the D40 or the D60.

First, welcome from another NC'r. Since you are from NC I recommend the Nikon over the Canon. All the cool people in NC use Nikons'! Right Bob? Right Todd? LOL

Secondly, I would get the D3000 over the either of the other cameras. It is the newer technology. While the D3000 has the same lens limitation as the other two, for cameras newer is generally better. The D60 is still listed on Nikon's site but it no longer has a price listed. That means it is history!

NAS, Nikon Acquisition Syndrome is a very common condition for those who own Nikons. I consider it a good condition to have!

Oh dear, looks like I am a dissenter from NC! Or maybe I am just not cool!

I have a Canon 40D and even though it intimmidates the heck out of me and I am trying to learn more, I LOVE it!

I had narrowed it down to the Nikon D60 and the Canon 40D and then took DH to make the final decision. He liked the Canon better right away so that made my decision for me.

Yes, it is an addiction. I plan to ask for a new lens for Christmas for my 40D AND I just purchased a G10 yesterday for my purse size carry around as I just couldn't go back to a P&S!

Yikes!,

Dawn

We'll forgive you, that's the good thing 'bout us southerners.

Yes, it is an addiction. I plan to ask for a new lens for Christmas for my 40D AND I just purchased a G10 yesterday for my purse size carry around as I just couldn't go back to a P&S!

I'm keeping my old Fuji as a carry around till it dies and disposable 35mm's in my beach bag. Took my Fuji out in the boat once and still haven't gotten all the sand out of it!

Well that does it for me, I want to be cool! :rotfl:

If you want to be cool get a Nikon, if you want to take good photos get a Canon! ;) Besides, you live at the beach, how much more cool can it get?

boB, a Canon owner in NC! ;)

Sallysue, just to let you know if you did not there are some really great people in NC that own cameras! There is a friendly brand bragging process we go through.

All of the major brands of cameras will take great pictures if you know what you are doing and everyone who has posted here from NC fits that category.

Several of us enjoy the rivalry because we know it does not matter.

You should always pick the one that works best for you!

And Bob is right, you live at the beach. Way cool!

I think I am hearing a faint, "Bless your heart" in there! :lmao:

We'll forgive you, that's the good thing 'bout us southerners.

I'm keeping my old Fuji as a carry around till it dies and disposable 35mm's in my beach bag. Took my Fuji out in the boat once and still haven't gotten all the sand out of it!

[/QUOTE]QUOTE=DawnM;33022480]I think I am hearing a faint, "Bless your heart" in there! :lmao:

Yea Ya did. But it was actually a "Bless his/her heart" as the person we are blessing is usually not the person we are talking to but the person we are talking about!!!:rotfl2: ...just kidding;)

And yep, it is very very cool to live at the beach. I've lived here all my life and never taken it for granted.

Check out dpreview.com it might help you with your choice.I just did the same thing you did.Which one to buy Nikon or Canon?They both are good cameras tough choice.I went with a Nikon D40 with the two len's deal on-line.Just did Spirit of America with ABD and I shot over 3000 pictures and when I had some of them printed they looked pretty good to me.My Nikon came with 2dvd's and the manual had some good tips and pointers.It's a digitial go out and shoot and experiment with it thats the way most people learn.Have fun I did I'm still learning Ritz has class's ask people here :confused3 like other people said it's like a computer as soon as you buy it it's obslete :rotfl2:thats my luck anyway.And as you get better you will wnt the higher priced camera.The D40 has a guide sort of in camera.Good Luck I want another camera already for my ABD Alaska trip but it's either the camera or the trip:scared1:

Not trying to bring up an old thread too much, but I am in the same predicament as sallysue. I was going to purchase my first DSLR and was looking at the D60 till the D3000 came out last week. My wife wants to try and get a combo deal with the kit plus another lens but I don't know if that's possible yet. Would you folks still recommend the D3000 over the D40 or D60 for a brand new DSLR wannabe photographer?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter