Night Court revival

I saw an interview with John Larroquette and he said that it was a live audience like before. Maybe they used the laugh track to fill in until all the characters flesh out a little. The pilot wasn't all that funny, but what made the original funny was Johns sarcastic remarks with every case. I'm not sure how they can get the same results with him as a public defender and not a prosecutor.

A sense of disgust as to "why am I here?" Watching the first two episodes showed how much he thought many of his clients are irredeemable.

Aren't MOST TV shows "unrealistic"? Whether it's about courts, hospitals, police, junk yards, taxi companies, etc?
That’s the thing I don’t work in hospitals, police, etc. I know they are unrealistic but since I do have court experience it is pretty glaring and hilarious. But I’m pretty sure it is isn’t supposed to be realistic. Realistic court is pretty boring.

Yeah, probably, but it would be nice to see them in a cameo. I do wish the show had two bailiffs - their banter as they watched things unfold was one of the best parts.

That's another unrealistic thing. I've served on jury duty before. Even in large courtrooms, I've never seen more than a single bailiff. That might happen in a high-profile trial, but certainly not in small night court. But courts that only handle petty cases really do exist.

https://www.alanbarry.com/new-york-city-night-court-is-a-tourist-attractio/

They're kind of curiosities, like the federal magistrate courts at a few of the larger national parks, like Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon.

That’s the thing I don’t work in hospitals, police, etc. I know they are unrealistic but since I do have court experience it is pretty glaring and hilarious. But I’m pretty sure it is isn’t supposed to be realistic. Realistic court is pretty boring.

This was particularly entertaining.

That's another unrealistic thing. I've served on jury duty before. Even in large courtrooms, I've never seen more than a single bailiff. That might happen in a high-profile trial, but certainly not in small night court. But courts that only handle petty cases really do exist.

They're kind of curiosities, like the federal magistrate courts at a few of the larger national parks, like Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon.

Well, you're applying the term "unrealistic" to a show that had curses, aliens, and an actual Santa Clause. 😁

DH and I watched both episodes last night. They were ok. Not outstanding by any means, and will hopefully improve as the show moves forward. We agreed that it was nice to have a sitcom that we could just watch. That was simple, with no complex storyline to follow. I did however tire of her bringing up her dad throughout both episodes. Hun, it's time to move on. We get it, you're his daughter.

DH and I watched both episodes last night. They were ok. Not outstanding by any means, and will hopefully improve as the show moves forward. We agreed that it was nice to have a sitcom that we could just watch. That was simple, with no complex storyline to follow. I did however tire of her bringing up her dad throughout both episodes. Hun, it's time to move on. We get it, you're his daughter.

They probalby just did that to make sure the audience knows, including those who tuned in late. Now that Dan is "fixed" and all, I think they will back off of it. I do hope the new cast can gel, but it may take some time.

Last edited:

I used to watch the show with my dad when I was a kid. I wish he was here to see it remade. He loved that show.

The bailiff is the man or woman that says "All rise". Perhaps in courts where there isn't a probability of someone acting out they don't have one, but I had jury duty three time and there always was a bailiff sometimes two.

The bailiff is the man or woman that says "All rise". Perhaps in courts where there isn't a probability of someone acting out they don't have one, but I had jury duty three time and there always was a bailiff sometimes two.

I've never seen more than one. I remember once we knew the bailiff by name because we were supposed to inform the bailiff if we were sick or otherwise couldn't come in to jury duty. One time we were prospective jurors and were led around by a bailiff. That bailiff said that he was on a rotation as a sheriff's deputy, where they get rotations between jail, patrol, and courts. I think civil division (evictions and serving papers) is very specialized and I don't think they get rotations. Also transit police is very specialized. But at another time I was told by the deputy/bailiff that they get a regular assignment as a bailiff and only get out of it when reassigned or if they ask for reassignment.

I thought the third episode definitely let some of the rest of the cast shine. They haven't quite gelled yet, but we are at least getting more personality. I think it'll find it's groove.

I was told by the deputy/bailiff that they get a regular assignment as a bailiff and only get out of it when reassigned or if they ask for reassignment.

Most of the bailiffs in my county are retired sheriffs officers. They retire, collect their pension and work 20 hours (or less) a week as a bailiff.

Most of the bailiffs in my county are retired sheriffs officers. They retire, collect their pension and work 20 hours (or less) a week as a bailiff.

Night Court shows New York City courts, but I looked it up and they have a specific state court officer agency. I think New York City does things differently than the rest of the state, since NYC is composed of 5 counties. But they apparently use the state court officers as bailiffs.

https://ww2.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml

I thought the third episode definitely let some of the rest of the cast shine. They haven't quite gelled yet, but we are at least getting more personality. I think it'll find it's groove.
I do think the third episode was better than the first two. I have a problem with the "Gurgs" character. Something about her just seems too "forced" to me.

Night Court shows New York City courts, but I looked it up and they have a specific state court officer agency. I think New York City does things differently than the rest of the state, since NYC is composed of 5 counties. But they apparently use the state court officers as bailiffs.

https://ww2.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/index.shtml
I am sure every state or even county does things differently. Even in California where the courts are run under the umbrella of the Judicial Council of California, each county does things differently.

I do think the third episode was better than the first two. I have a problem with the "Gurgs" character. Something about her just seems too "forced" to me.

She's supposed to be the very strong-willed female baillif, which has always been on the show (Selma, Flo, Roz). I think though that she needs a counterpart to balance her out. This was formerly the good natured Bull.

She's supposed to be the very strong-willed female baillif, which has always been on the show (Selma, Flo, Roz). I think though that she needs a counterpart to balance her out. This was formerly the good natured Bull.
That's what I would expect, but I don't see her in the same role. Selma, Flo, and Roz (from what I remember) were more the "wise-cracking" type. Gurgs just seems like they're trying to "overplay" the character (I don't think it's the actress, I think it's the way it's written).

That's what I would expect, but I don't see her in the same role. Selma, Flo, and Roz (from what I remember) were more the "wise-cracking" type. Gurgs just seems like they're trying to "overplay" the character (I don't think it's the actress, I think it's the way it's written).

Well, her wisecracks are definitely not as good - but she is that "don't take no mess" type of character.

Selma Diamond was actually the best thing about Season 1. I know the show didn't really come together until Season 3 or so, but Selma would have still been around if she hadn't passed in real life.

Well, her wisecracks are definitely not as good - but she is that "don't take no mess" type of character.
I don't know... the fumbling of the keys in Ep1 (or was it #2?)... TWICE, the "attraction" of the black police officer... it just seems like the writers are going for the lowest common denominator.
Selma Diamond was actually the best thing about Season 1. I know the show didn't really come together until Season 3 or so, but Selma would have still been around if she hadn't passed in real life.
Totally agree.

I loved the OG Night Court, but this reboot is unwatchable. The lead is a terrible actress, I'm not even sure how she got the job. The laugh track is cringe also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!