Night Court revival

NBC has lost me as far as their comedies go. They cancel far too many to make it worth my while to get invested in anything. Mr. Mayor, Growing up Fisher, Abby's Place, and on and on. Seems like they just don't give them a chance, so I don't bother anymore, either. At least not until it's got a few seasons under its belt.

(And my general rant about any reboot: Is there really nothing new in Hollywood? The only choices are to reboot 35 year old shows? Come on, people.)
And NBC "rebooted" Hawaii 5-0. not a comedy, but a bit of a joke. It was canceled by CBS, so now NBC is recycling CBS leftovers?

I watched both episodes. I realize the first episodes set the premise for future shows but they were fairly enjoyable- probably not something I will have to watch regularly, but a decent way to spend 30 minutes. Kudos to Melissa Rauch for believing in the project. One annoyance- it appears to me that the show relies heavily on the usage of a laugh track.

Okay, I got around to watching it - pretty good. I definitely loved the reverence for the original show. It's still a little rough and I don't know that all of the character shave geled yet. Maybe they will, but they might make some changes too. The origianl didn't really come together until Season 3 once Markie Post was in the cast. I'll stick around though and see what they do.

I watched both episodes. I realize the first episodes set the premise for future shows but they were fairly enjoyable- probably not something I will have to watch regularly, but a decent way to spend 30 minutes. Kudos to Melissa Rauch for believing in the project. One annoyance- it appears to me that the show relies heavily on the usage of a laugh track.
I saw an interview with John Larroquette and he said that it was a live audience like before. Maybe they used the laugh track to fill in until all the characters flesh out a little. The pilot wasn't all that funny, but what made the original funny was Johns sarcastic remarks with every case. I'm not sure how they can get the same results with him as a public defender and not a prosecutor.

I saw an interview with John Larroquette and he said that it was a live audience like before. Maybe they used the laugh track to fill in until all the characters flesh out a little. The pilot wasn't all that funny, but what made the original funny was Johns sarcastic remarks with every case. I'm not sure how they can get the same results with him as a public defender and not a prosecutor.

On the Warner Bros. studio tour they explained how they do that. They mic the audience, but they can use selective muting and enhancement depending on the reaction that they want. If they like a paritcular laugh they will accentuate it. It can sound "fake" but it's actually not.

I did like how they faithfully recreated all teh sets - it feels like the same place!

Last edited:
I will watch.

As a Court Employee, I think it is hilarious that the court is run in no way near like it is in real life.

And NBC "rebooted" Hawaii 5-0. not a comedy, but a bit of a joke. It was canceled by CBS, so now NBC is recycling CBS leftovers?

That's gone for good. It's the reboot of Magnum P.I. that's coming back on NBC.

I never watched the original Night Court but am a Big Bang Theory fan so I want to check it out to see "Bernadette" in a different role.

We watched Night Court weekly and daily in reruns growing up. I plan to watch this weekend, but may have to find the final episode of the original or a description because my memory is a bit wonky on a few details. Hopefully there will be explanations as to where others went after leaving the night court.

We watched Night Court weekly and daily in reruns growing up. I plan to watch this weekend, but may have to find the final episode of the original or a description because my memory is a bit wonky on a few details. Hopefully there will be explanations as to where others went after leaving the night court.

They don't talk about everyone, really only Harry.

I kinda want to rewatch Night Court - but it's 9 seasons! Form what I remember of the finale, Christine was elected to office, Dan followed her to continue to court her and Bull was actually beamed up by aliens. The show does stream for free with ads on Amazon's FreeVee service.

They don't talk about everyone, really only Harry.

I kinda want to rewatch Night Court - but it's 9 seasons! Form what I remember of the finale, Christine was elected to office, Dan followed her to continue to court her and Bull was actually beamed up by aliens. The show does stream for free with ads on Amazon's FreeVee service.
They only mention that the judge is Harry's daughter (see's the one from Big Bang) and that he has passed away. There was a slight reference to a character that apparently was in the original and was still there watching trials. They have recreated the courtroom and Harry's office in detail. Of course there is Dan Fielding (John Larroquette) I'm not sure but John my be the only one still living from the original staff. Bull and Ross might still be alive. I don't know for sure.

There really isn't much. The only ties are Dan Fielding and Harry's daughter as the new judge. But they don't explain how Dan Fielding turns from a process server who hasn't practiced law in years to a public defender in a matter of days. That's pretty unlikely, but then again so is the entire premise of the show.

They only mention that the judge is Harry's daughter (see's the one from Big Bang) and that he has passed away. There was a slight reference to a character that apparently was in the original and was still there watching trials. They have recreated the courtroom and Harry's office in detail. Of course there is Dan Fielding (John Larroquette) I'm not sure but John my be the only one still living from the original staff. Bull and Ross might still be alive. I don't know for sure.

Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield are both still with us.

Of course there is Dan Fielding (John Larroquette) I'm not sure but John my be the only one still living from the original staff. Bull and Ross might still be alive. I don't know for sure.
Happy to say that Richard Moll (Bull) and Marsha Warfield (Roz) are very much with us.

Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield are both still with us.
I'm glad to hear that. I wonder if they ever thought that they could just have is show like they never left the place. I guess they needed younger people to give the illusion that they could handle problems.

I'm glad to hear that. I wonder if they ever thought that they could just have is show like they never left the place. I guess they needed younger people to give the illusion that they could handle problems.

Yeah, probably, but it would be nice to see them in a cameo. I do wish the show had two bailiffs - their banter as they watched things unfold was one of the best parts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter