News Story: Has the cost of Disney World become unaffordable for the average American family?

You know, I don't think that most of us think that Disney should be some public service, it's more that we worry that IF Disney continues to raise prices that they will price out a large portion of their fans and also if they continue to deliver a less-than-stellar experience, the more well-to-do fans might not want to come back either. This will lead to a general decline in the place that we love so much. There is definitely emotion involved, but it's also logical. We see some effects already - granted some of it is a bit exaggerated - but I do think that some concern is warranted. Disney doesn't seem to have a plan to address their problems - which they don't have to do right now, but the time will come. It can't be all pump and slash forever!
My opinion is that Disney would never reach that low point BECAUSE it's NOT a public service. If Disney was run by the government, no doubt, everything would go down the toilet. But BECAUSE it is a profit driven company, they will do everything in their power to keep their customers happy and profits rolling. I don't disagree that the quality has slipped of late. It's also apparent that the competition (namely Universal) has stepped up its game, which is great for EVERYONE (including Disney). All this talk about Disney forever losing it's appeal and quality is mostly click-bait and extreme IMO. I understand Disney has an emotional stranglehold on some of its most loyal fans. But to complain all the time while continuing to open up their wallets is ridiculously pointless.

I don't often relate either although I do get some of the complaints but you're talking to someone who hates parking fees at hotels just on principle and resort fees lol so sometimes I have a bit of a "get off my lawn" viewpoint.

One of the more divisive things I have found is that I focus on rides and attractions and cost whereas plenty of people on this board (because they go so often) end up focusing on trash on the ground, food quality and CM interactions. Between those things value often gets added in so someone may comment "all this trash overflowing Walt would be so upset" or "I saw a CM in a beanie hat I just don't like seeing street clothes, it breaks the theming" and I might say "whew these onsite hotel costs are sky high I couldn't even dream of staying on there" and "dang it I didn't get to ride this before it closed down for good"

**caveat we did stay on site in 2017 but it was my dream to do that. We stayed at All-Star Sports for rack rate $100 and $123 per night. A discount came around and the pricing then went to $113.60 and $92.80 per night. That same hotel (well All-Star Movies) is now $161,$175 and $181 and $191 (there's more variance in pricing than there was back in 2017 when we only had two different rate pricing during the same time period). Now that is crazy. And yes All-Star Movies (and Sports will be too) has the renovations so I wouldn't expect the rate to stay the same but consider that our money went further in 2017 in general than it does now even the increase income given by my husband switching jobs and the increase in room rates has sucked that all up. And for transparence sake we don't consider ourselves wealthy Millennials but that fact that we do own a home has put us financially ahead than many of our counterparts. Now we can afford that but we just paid $134 over at Universal for their Value hotel (which is actually bigger than Disney's although with the renovation the murphy bed would have suited us better as just a couple compared to queen beds Universal has in their value).

If you go back there's been virtually this same conversation for years. Prior articles and blogs and such. Like I said in my one comment I think this time might be just having more vocal aspect due to just how much is going on.

Growing up to the people I knew Disney was like a place few ever go think to go to, it was like this special place that just was out of reach for the most part. But in this moment I think it's just out of reach for more people than it was in the past and that may be causing more angst. Much like the "childless Millennial" rant some of this is conflated out to be more than it really is because I don't think you're going to find many people who truly believe Disney is supposed to be available to them by virtue of their birth (or color of their skin).
I 100% agree with everything you said, and totally empathize. IMO, the biggest problem that Disney has is that they are too successful and too popular. There isn't enough to meet the demand, hence why they can get away with the constant rise in prices, despite perceived degradation of quality. Growing up, Disney was a once in a life time trip for me because my parents are poor. The visit made a lasting impression on me and I feel blessed that we can take our children more often. I never want to grow so jaded that I no longer appreciate the magic. A lot of the magic is what we make of it. This is what I choose to believe. Aloha.

My opinion is that Disney would never reach that low point BECAUSE it's NOT a public service. If Disney was run by the government, no doubt, everything would go down the toilet. But BECAUSE it is a profit driven company, they will do everything in their power to keep their customers happy and profits rolling. I don't disagree that the quality has slipped of late. It's also apparent that the competition (namely Universal) has stepped up its game, which is great for EVERYONE (including Disney). All this talk about Disney forever losing it's appeal and quality is mostly click-bait and extreme IMO. I understand Disney has an emotional stranglehold on some of its most loyal fans. But to complain all the time while continuing to open up their wallets is ridiculously pointless.

Universal has been a better option for over a decade now. It really started with their Harry Potter section. But I'd say their Spider-man ride was really the game changer.

My opinion is that Disney would never reach that low point BECAUSE it's NOT a public service. If Disney was run by the government, no doubt, everything would go down the toilet
In Ontario we used to have an amusement park that was run by the government, slowly over the years it declined with a lot of things closed or removed now the only thing that sees any use is the ceisespher which is the world's first permanent Imax theatre, it was also used by Imax for a little bit when it was closed to test out new projectors before they switched to digital laser projectors.

In Ontario we used to have an amusement park that was run by the government, slowly over the years it declined with a lot of things closed or removed now the only thing that sees any use is the ceisespher which is the world's first permanent Imax theatre, it was also used by Imax for a little bit when it was closed to test out new projectors before they switched to digital laser projectors.
Off topic sorta but our zoo in my area was the first zoo to get an IMAX, it was open for 9 years. I'm not exactly certain why they closed it but my guess is it was just too expensive to run. It did used to show both nature-focused films and other theatrical films. I actually saw Fantasia! 2000 for the first time in it and that movie was actually designed with IMAX in mind too.

I actually saw Fantasia! 2000 for the first time in it and that movie was actually designed with IMAX in mind too.
I remember seeing that at one of the first IMAX theatres we had that was built as part of a multiplex. One of the first ones i saw at it was a Titanic documenty that James Cameron did in 3D it was supposed to be the last dive anyone did to it because of all of the dives to it over the years it was causing it to fall apart faster.

Has the cost of Disney World become unaffordable for the average American family?

Pretty good look at the costs at Disney from FoxBusiess - interesting comments by Jason Cochran from Frommer's guidebook, as well as a lot of things DIS regulars already know. The key comment from him that bothers me most about the current Disney trajectory is Has a Disney Vacation "become something that's only for the wealthy, or the upper-middle class." As well has concerns about how of the vacation cost is just getting heaped on to a Credit Card.

.......and these will be the very same "average American Families" who will complain about high credit card interest rates as the Feds slowly raise to combat Inflation etc.
Going to be interesting to see ow our nation reacts to all this in about 6 more months -

IMO, the one thing I can say about this Covid silliness these past 3 years is that it has really taught me which do I value more:

1) Vacations or things like buying a new car, renovating your home, etc.
Im seeing that I value the later part of that above sentence as it is giving me more enjoyment since I can see it everyday whereas a vacation comes and goes.

Good luck to all on this topic -

T.T.F.N.
Cheers Y'all

Totally makes sense! I don't know about Canada but I can't imagine what Disney might look like if it were run by the government. To be fair though, I live in Hawaii and I sometimes use some lodging facilities available on military bases and they're not too bad, like the Kilauea Military Camp on the Big Island or many of the beach bungalows littered across Oahu.

We booked today for August 2023 with the UK offers. Mr J is the type to a spreadsheet and pros and cons etc. However, we agreed the Skyliner is awesome and we decided Pop won over going cheaper by staying at an All Stars or treating ourselves to FQ and those extras for there, but, he calculated we'd be better off with Pop and buying Cirque tickets ourselves if we fancied that when we get closer to the time. Luckily the defence discount scheme saved a bit more off the price too. When he called and was advised about the $15 a day parking we nixed the idea of a hire car. Another shocker was Virgin Holidays, he looked at them too, but, you could add another £2k for the identical holiday, are they nuts? I think he also said he didn't see the offer either. Anyway he's done his bit and the rest of the planning is entrusted in me, oh joy.

Cost is one thing but its the planning that kills it for me. Somewhere along the way I went from loving the planning it to dreading it. I think after a few cruises we found our new happy place. Now the only time I visit Disney is when I visit my friend in FL who is a club 33 member. lol

Cost is one thing but its the planning that kills it for me. Somewhere along the way I went from loving the planning it to dreading it. I think after a few cruises we found our new happy place. Now the only time I visit Disney is when I visit my friend in FL who is a club 33 member. lol
If you're rolling with friends that are club 33 members, I don't think you belong in this thread.... 🤣

Disney has never been affordable for the "average" American family. Growing up, Disney wasn't even within the realm of imagination for our family. We can afford it now, and I don't consider us rich by any means. But the majority of American families cannot.

I listen to a lot of Disney podcasts and recently found one titled "the cost of a vacation (2022 Edition)". They compared the cost of 8 trips including a Universal and a Disney. Other trips included concerts, Broadway show, ski day, Major League Baseball game, etc. instead of theme park day. I thought it was interesting. They tried to compare each trip using similar lunch and dinner options and comparable hotel choices for family of 4 (no airfare or rental car/travel included since people will travel from various locations). Although Disney and Universal were among the highest of costs, the other trips were not that far off and the price of the meals in various destinations were very close. They also pointed out (a little tongue in cheek) the cost of each trip per hour. Generally, you will spend more time in a Disney Park for the day than you will to watch a Broadway show. I thought it was a fun podcast episode and helps me justify my "Disney math".

I listen to a lot of Disney podcasts and recently found one titled "the cost of a vacation (2022 Edition)". They compared the cost of 8 trips including a Universal and a Disney. Other trips included concerts, Broadway show, ski day, Major League Baseball game, etc. instead of theme park day. I thought it was interesting. They tried to compare each trip using similar lunch and dinner options and comparable hotel choices for family of 4 (no airfare or rental car/travel included since people will travel from various locations). Although Disney and Universal were among the highest of costs, the other trips were not that far off and the price of the meals in various destinations were very close. They also pointed out (a little tongue in cheek) the cost of each trip per hour. Generally, you will spend more time in a Disney Park for the day than you will to watch a Broadway show. I thought it was a fun podcast episode and helps me justify my "Disney math".
DH and I have commented on this many times while at our local ski hill. Now, skiing is expensive but this place is less Aspen Extreme more Snowball Express. It's a great place but it is a ski hill, not a resort with various hotels, etc.

The cost of an adult ski ticket on Saturday this year was $98. I think a fountain beverage was $3.75 or thereabouts. A burger was $9. If you want cheese it's another $1 and an order of fries was $4 on top of that.

There is a much more resort like place right across the street and their prices are generally about $20 higher.

I will fully admit there is a fair amount of rationalization done here but there are ways to make a Disney vacation a better value even if it is still an expensive proposition. Heck, I accompanied DH on a business trip to Nashville a couple years ago and explored the city on my own a bit while he worked (which totally amazed the other wives that came but that is a story for a different day) and I spent $75 in entrance fees to a couple attractions that kept me busy for about 5 hours.

Different strokes and all that.

Disney has traded guest experience for higher profits. That's the train of thought, more $$$ for less experience.

Did I miss when Disneyworld was ever affordable?
Solo Traveler here.

September 2007 - 10 days, value resort (ASMO), flight, transportation to/from The World, preferred room, park hoppers, dining plan - $1,815
September 2022 - 10 days, value resort (POP), standard room - $1,954. Not included in that number: flight, park tickets, transportation to/from The World, meals.

So all in 2007 was $139 less than room only (with Disney+ discount) in 2022.

I call that affordable.

Solo Traveler here.

September 2007 - 10 days, value resort (ASMO), flight, transportation to/from The World, preferred room, park hoppers, dining plan - $1,815
September 2022 - 10 days, value resort (POP), standard room - $1,954. Not included in that number: flight, park tickets, transportation to/from The World, meals.

So all in 2007 was $139 less than room only (with Disney+ discount) in 2022.

I call that affordable.
I thought your 2022 figures wasn't including flight or park tickets or transportation or meals? But your 2007 figure does.

From what you wrote your figure of $1,954 only includes your room.

How in the world can you call that affordable that at least according to above you're paying more for just the room but lacking flight, tickets, meals and transportation?

I see articles on this topic and people making comments about the price of a Disney vacation really frequently. And yes, Disney World is for sure a pricey proposition.

Buuutttt..........unless you're talking about going to your local KOA for a weekend, vacations in general are expensive. We have looked into going to places like Gatlingburg, Chicago, and Washignton, DC and it never seemed like the price of going to those places was much different after you add up hotel costs, food, and entertainment.

And forget about skiing. That is every bit as expensive as Disney World.

I marvel at the people who say they can go to Europe or Asia for the same price as a Disney vacation. For our trip to Europe this fall airfare is $1400 each. That's a lot of park tickets.
I agree. I thought Disney was insane until my child and I took an 8 day trip to the Grand Canyon and surrounding area. It cost us over $6000 for two people, which makes the $12,000 for 5 people Disney cruise that we originally had booked look like a deal.

I thought your 2022 figures wasn't including flight or park tickets or transportation or meals? But your 2007 figure does.

From what you wrote your figure of $1,954 only includes your room.

How in the world can you call that affordable that at least according to above you're paying more for just the room but lacking flight, tickets, meals and transportation?
They are proving that Disney was more affordable in 2007 then it is now in 2022 and I think they did a really good job. :thumbsup2

They got everything they needed for their trip in 2007 for about the same price 2022 only gets them a room.

They are proving that Disney was more affordable in 2007 then it is now in 2022 and I think they did a really good job. :thumbsup2

They got everything they needed for their trip in 2007 for about the same price 2022 only gets them a room.
The way it was written it was like they were saying 2022 figures were what they would call affordable at least that's how I saw it because they said it was only $139 less. I agree with your above statement just the order and wording of the post didn't make me think that's what they were saying thus my questioning lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter