News Round Up 2020

Apple and Netflix approached MGM, not the other way around. If they offer them probably 800M-1B I could see MGM possibly biting. But with it being Craig’s last appearance as Bond, I don’t think it’s exactly set in stone.
Yeah I did see that it was the streamers that went to the studio. I would love to know those numbers though if a deal does go through. Wonder if we’d ever know them though.

Going to get very interesting for the movie industry if the new James Bond movie goes direct to Netflix or Apple+ as is being reported. That’s one of the major tent poles we’ve all been using as a gauge for the future and the recovery of the theater industry. If they pull the plug and go streaming with that, I wonder if some other studios will decide to go that route with bigger movies as well. I’d love to know how much one of the streaming services pay for a movie like that.

Apple... 🤮

Yeah I did see that it was the streamers that went to the studio. I would love to know those numbers though if a deal does go through. Wonder if we’d ever know them though.

If it’s Netflix. Never. If it’s Apple. Maybe.

I think they’d be targeting north of the Skyfall WW box office total (1.1B) as a sale price for this one given the circumstances of it being Craig’s final film. The Budget was 250M, which means break even is somewhere around 600M, especially with how much they promoted it because of how close they were to release before everything went down. So they surely burned through the marketing budget.

I think they’d be targeting north of the Skyfall WW box office total (1.1B) as a sale price for this one given the circumstances of it being Craig’s final film. The Budget was 250M, which means break even is somewhere around 600M, especially with how much they promoted it because of how close they were to release before everything went down. So they surely burned through the marketing budget.

I think most studios would be ecstatic about breaking even right about now.

I think most studios would be ecstatic about breaking even right about now.

I don’t disagree. Disney would have loved to have broken even on Mulan, I’m sure. Soul as well. But that’s not how to run a successful movie studio. The price of the movie will be the same if they wait closer to their theatrical release date. Selling it for break-even when the draw to see Bond isn’t going to suddenly go away in 6 months would be irresponsible. If theaters are gone, or still closed in certain states/operating at a low capacity in March, then you sell it. But selling it now for 600M when your plan as of 2 weeks ago was a theatrical release and gross 1B+ Would be a very regrettable mistake especially for a studio that doesn’t produce anything else near the level as the Bond franchise.

Edit: According to Variety the price tag from MGM to streaming platforms is 600M in which Netflix and Apple said it’s too expensive. So they’re looking to shop at the bargain bins.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree. Disney would have loved to have broken even on Mulan, I’m sure. Soul as well. But that’s not how to run a successful movie studio. The price of the movie will be the same if they wait closer to their theatrical release date. Selling it for break-even when the draw to see Bond isn’t going to suddenly go away in 6 months would be irresponsible. If theaters are gone, or still closed in certain states/operating at a low capacity in March, then you sell it. But selling it now for 600M when your plan as of 2 weeks ago was a theatrical release and gross 1B+ Would be a very regrettable mistake especially for a studio that doesn’t produce anything else near the level as the Bond franchise.

Edit: According to Variety the price tag from MGM to streaming platforms is 600M in which Netflix and Apple said it’s too expensive. So they’re looking to shop at the bargain bins.
$600 million to the studio would be the equivalent of a $1.35 billion global box office. Actually it would probably be higher than that because MGM wouldn’t spend anymore on marketing.

doesn't the studio only get like 1/2 the box office though? that would mean something closer to 500-600m would make more sense

Oh, I want to do a tour like that. I'd love to pet a rhino! The rhino they were working with on the latest Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom seemed to be so gentle. The keeper was feeding him by hand!
The tour Up Close with Rhinos is fantastic. albeit it shorter and you can't take photos but still great. They only typically bring you to see the white rhinos though. When I did the tour it had just started and Dugan the dad of this new baby rhino had just been brought in. They said the plan was to begin breeding white rhinos and clearly they have!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!