News Round Up 2020

Lovely story out of the Animal Kingdom on Monday. Man was getting in line for a ride and made a sneezing gesture directed at a CM while muttering “coronavirus.” When he was told that’s not funny and to leave the line, he then proceeded to punch the CM in the face twice. This guy is on the show “Love and Hip Hop”

https://www.wesh.com/article/spectacular-smith-disney-cast-member-punch/34841311

Also was just reading on twitter that it looks like Disney is cancelling Ducktales after this 3rd season citing low ratings. Most of the cast has moved onto other projects, so it doesn’t even look like there’s a chance to save it either by going to Disney+ or petitioning Disney. Sad, that was my favorite of the old Disney afternoon series and I thought the reboot was excellent. Also loved how they tied in a bunch of the other Disney afternoon series as well. Plus, any show with David Tennant and Danny Pudi is a must watch for me!

Lovely story out of the Animal Kingdom on Monday. Man was getting in line for a ride and made a sneezing gesture directed at a CM while muttering “coronavirus.” When he was told that’s not funny and to leave the line, he then proceeded to punch the CM in the face twice. This guy is on the show “Love and Hip Hop”

https://www.wesh.com/article/spectacular-smith-disney-cast-member-punch/34841311

What a moron.....entitled much? Sheesh.
Apparently there are anger issues too.

Also was just reading on twitter that it looks like Disney is cancelling Ducktales after this 3rd season citing low ratings. Most of the cast has moved onto other projects, so it doesn’t even look like there’s a chance to save it either by going to Disney+ or petitioning Disney. Sad, that was my favorite of the old Disney afternoon series and I thought the reboot was excellent. Also loved how they tied in a bunch of the other Disney afternoon series as well. Plus, any show with David Tennant and Danny Pudi is a must watch for me!

That's interesting. I thought they had big plans for a "Disney Afternoon-iverse" spinning out of this show. Honestly, I liked it at first, but over time it hasn't been as great. It became the "Webby Show" with too many episodes not featuring Scrooge. I know they must have been saving money not having Tennant in every episode. I do agree that when it was good, it was VERY good, but there have been a lot more clunkers, and maybe just too much going on/too many characters who are not Scrooge in the most recent episodes.

Last edited:
It was such a great show (waiting for Season 3 to come onto Disney+, and for Tangled Series 2 & 3 to come too in the UK) I know with most Disney Channel shows, they only last 3 seasons (the seasons can vary in length) so not too surprised, just hoping it would have lasted as long as Phineas and Ferb did (Season 4 lasted 3 years).

I just wonder if that would impact the Ducktales variation of the quests in Epcot (Kim Possible, then Agent P)

It was such a great show (waiting for Season 3 to come onto Disney+, and for Tangled Series 2 & 3 to come too in the UK) I know with most Disney Channel shows, they only last 3 seasons (the seasons can vary in length) so not too surprised, just hoping it would have lasted as long as Phineas and Ferb did (Season 4 lasted 3 years).

I just wonder if that would impact the Ducktales variation of the quests in Epcot (Kim Possible, then Agent P)

There was some rumblings last month of a Darkwing reboot on D+, so the writing may have already been on the wall.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/darkwing-duck-reboot-disney-plus-1234830283/
They had an amazing voice cast for the Ducktales series ... sorry to see it go but it seemed like the show may have been more popular with nostalgic adults than kids

This is where I thought the CM should have called for security to address. If the CM did try to take it upon himself/herself to block or impede the guest, then I'm not sure that is protocol.

They had an amazing voice cast for the Ducktales series ... sorry to see it go but it seemed like the show may have been more popular with nostalgic adults than kids

The problem though with a voice cast like that is that they don't stay very long. I knew when they announced David Tennant that he would not be playing Scrooge 40 years from now like Alan Young did. For me, the Disney legacy characters should have a voice for as long as possible. Mickey Mouse has only had a handful of primary voice actors. Instead of trying to be trendy, they should get stable VA talent for these roles. I did think Tennant did a great job - but now we're faced with finding another voice for Scrooge - should one be needed of course.

This is where I thought the CM should have called for security to address. If the CM did try to take it upon himself/herself to block or impede the guest, then I'm not sure that is protocol.

Yeah, that's the part that I don't get. The guy made a "joke" and the CM admonished him. Should it have gone any further than that? Why should the guest be pulled from the line for making a bad joke? Maybe the guest got combative immediately and then was asked to step out of line. Of course, no matter the case, there is never justification for striking a CM. He should be banned from the parks and face prosecution as warranted.

It is a great show, (I love how they gave each nephew a distinct personality). I wasn't a huge fan of some of the dark magic storylines (for the kids), but overall it was just laugh out loud funny (great writing and voice acting).

As for ratings, since Disney+ came out my family doesn't even bother with the "new" shows on the Disney channels even though we still have them via our cable package (and can even watch them via DisneyNow app). We just wait until things pop up on Disney+ and even though they may be 6-12 months old they are "new" to us.

So we stopped watching Duck Tales after Season 2.

I just wonder if networks need to adjust their expectations of a show on the traditional cable networks since a lot of cord cutting is happening .. and even when the cord isn't cut (like in my case) -- it is just "easier" to bring up a streaming service and watch what you want .. when you want .. and in the proper order without commercials.

Yeah, that's the part that I don't get. The guy made a "joke" and the CM admonished him. Should it have gone any further than that? Why should the guest be pulled from the line for making a bad joke? Maybe the guest got combative immediately and then was asked to step out of line. Of course, no matter the case, there is never justification for striking a CM. He should be banned from the parks and face prosecution as warranted.

I feel that a CM blocking a guest in a queue is an escalation path that is confrontational. I want to believe if WDW security (likely 2 persons) shows up and asks this same guest to leave, there would not have been a physical confrontation.

Regardless, I would use this as a lesson to train the CMs to call upon security in situations that mirror this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter