News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
News

Disney announces new WDW package “My first Disney vacation”

http://blogmickey.com/2019/06/disney-announces-my-first-disney-getaway-vacation-package/

interesting that they dictate which parks it is for - I mean, I get not allowing DHS with GE opening, but surprised it has to be MK and AK vs letting them choose. Kind of a neat thing, but 2 days is pretty short to really appreciate ones first trip

Also, and maybe I am reading too much into it because I want this to be the case, but wonder if any significance to it starting on Aug 11th - I know that was one of the dates rumored for the AP Previews for GE to start

I think the biggest difference between SWGE at DL vs WDW is that DL is mainly a locals park. Yes, some would have booked a special trip to experience SWGE but not a lot. I'm guessing many locals either cannot use the APs right now or, if they don't have an AP they're waiting to see how the crowds are before making the drive.

WDW is almost fully made up of people visiting WDW for an extended period of time and further distances so already had their trips booked before the opening was even announced. Add to that the number of people who will book specifically to visit SWGE at WDW and the crowd numbers at opening could be vastly different in my opinion.

I'm one who is hoping WDW is standing up and taking notice of how smoothly the opening(s) went at DL and are putting similar strategies in motion, especially the virtual queue.

When they lift the blackouts on local AP (for weekends) then we will see what happens. I don’t fault them for continuing to ease into the water (so to speak).

But I don’t see WDW being this cautious either (at least not at first). Obviously I selfishly only care about opening weekend :rolleyes1

I think the biggest difference between SWGE at DL vs WDW is that DL is mainly a locals park. Yes, some would have booked a special trip to experience SWGE but not a lot. I'm guessing many locals either cannot use the APs right now or, if they don't have an AP they're waiting to see how the crowds are before making the drive.

WDW is almost fully made up of people visiting WDW for an extended period of time and further distances so already had their trips booked before the opening was even announced. Add to that the number of people who will book specifically to visit SWGE at WDW and the crowd numbers at opening could be vastly different in my opinion.

I'm one who is hoping WDW is standing up and taking notice of how smoothly the opening(s) went at DL and are putting similar strategies in motion, especially the virtual queue.

I would be shocked (but maybe I shouldn't be) if WDW didn't do a virtual queue. I really don't think they want a multi-hour queue of people just standing in line just to get into the land ... they want them doing other things, and buying food and souvenirs, etc.

No idea if it will function exactly like DLRs but I think there will be something

Just a note - the page is down ... not sure if just an IT issue or if the posted it before they meant to ... but getting this screen:

View attachment 411579
I had our article posted on this about 2 minutes after Blog Mickey and when I refreshed the Disney Parks Blog to get the link to their article on it, they'd pulled it down already. Kind of strange when they do that. It'll probably be back up this afternoon.

It felt like crowds were there for GE - but people not doing GE were staying away for fear of crowds and the unknown - so the rest of DLR was quite empty

Will take some time for things to find an equilibrium - once people see how the virtual queue and the reservations at Savi's and Oga's work ... But you raise good questions. And you figure many of the big time Star Wars fans went during the previews and for now, are the prices getting to people and you can't just do a trip on a whim to see how it is. And for people that can't afford to go all the time, are they waiting to see how things work and for ROTR

Would be an interesting article - maybe even structure it as featuring various theories
I think you both bring up good points...we live mid-country so we split time fairly evenly at land vs world, but at the current price point, we are holding off on our next trip to either destination until both SW rides are open. And while I call "world" home, with the current ticket prices, it is more than likely we will make our next trip to CA where we can do "everything" in 3 days, rather than our typicaly 5-8 day trip to world. Unfortunately with the ticket prices what they are now, we do have to make financially smart decisions.

I had our article posted on this about 2 minutes after Blog Mickey and when I refreshed the Disney Parks Blog to get the link to their article on it, they'd pulled it down already. Kind of strange when they do that. It'll probably be back up this afternoon.

yeah, feels like something that maybe got released before they intended or something

It's definitely an interesting offer and at an interesting time to have it!

I think you both bring up good points...we live mid-country so we split time fairly evenly at land vs world, but at the current price point, we are holding off on our next trip to either destination until both SW rides are open. And while I call "world" home, with the current ticket prices, it is more than likely we will make our next trip to CA where we can do "everything" in 3 days, rather than our typicaly 5-8 day trip to world. Unfortunately with the ticket prices what they are now, we do have to make financially smart decisions.

very good point - and I would also think the people that are like "OMG I have to go to "Star Wars Land" as soon as I can and I have the disposable money to do so" had already made arrangements to go to Disneyland during the reservation period.

So how many people didn't go to DLR but have the money to go to WDW for GE but before both rides are open? I mean, I am sure there are a few that want to go to both coasts and others that will combine this with their normal Disney vacation but I would think people are more likely in one of two groups A) have the money and ability to go as soon as any part of the land is open - and went to DLR already or B) really want to go and can spend some $ on it but cant' go multiple times so let's wait until both rides are open

I am sure there are some people that fit in between those groups, but not sure how many

One of the most interesting things I realized while in Disneyland Paris, is that actually going to DLP can be quite cheaper then say going to DL or WDW, espicially if your flying out of the east coast. I ran the numbers from the trip and DLP cost me about $150 per day less per person than even my cheapest of WDW days with my APs. I wonder how this will change once they make the Upgrades and add the 3 new lands to DLP including there One ride Star Wars Land,

One of the most interesting things I realized while in Disneyland Paris, is that actually going to DLP can be quite cheaper then say going to DL or WDW, espicially if your flying out of the east coast. I ran the numbers from the trip and DLP cost me about $150 per day less per person than even my cheapest of WDW days with my APs. I wonder how this will change once they make the Upgrades and add the 3 new lands to DLP including there One ride Star Wars Land,

Flights are the big thing, just depending on where you are coming from. Being in NY we can find reasonable flights to Europe - but also often can find really cheap flights to Florida. Also, we often drive which makes it even cheaper (since we have 5 people - even a relatively cheap flight adds up when multiplied by 5)

Also, just the time to get to Europe takes longer so would be a much bigger undertaking as most people, I would think, woudl want to be there for longer and see more than just DLP, so the entire trip will add up

But fully agree that if youjust compare X days at DLP vs X days at WDW the cost can be a lot less. Found the same at Hong Kong Disney - park tickets were much cheaper

very good point - and I would also think the people that are like "OMG I have to go to "Star Wars Land" as soon as I can and I have the disposable money to do so" had already made arrangements to go to Disneyland during the reservation period.

So how many people didn't go to DLR but have the money to go to WDW for GE but before both rides are open? I mean, I am sure there are a few that want to go to both coasts and others that will combine this with their normal Disney vacation but I would think people are more likely in one of two groups A) have the money and ability to go as soon as any part of the land is open - and went to DLR already or B) really want to go and can spend some $ on it but cant' go multiple times so let's wait until both rides are open

I am sure there are some people that fit in between those groups, but not sure how many

The crowd that seems to be missing so far is the "Non Disney Star Wars Fanatic" that I know many, including myself, thought would push these crowds into the insane territory. Is this crowd not as big as we thought? Is this crowd waiting for RoTR? Is this crowd waiting for Orlando?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter