News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney: you can book packages up to 499 days in advance, book dining 180 days in advance, and book what ride you want to ride when at 60 days in advance

Also Disney: We are changing park hours and getting rid of thing with 2 weeks notice

Right verb. You can, not must. Sure many of us feel like we are likely to miss out on something if we don't do 499/180/60, but lots of people don't. I think a lot of it is the difference between the once every couple years or once in a lifetime crowd and the every year or couple times a year crowd. If you go regularly, it's no big deal not to get on FoP or eat in that one special restaurant or stay at that one resort you love.

But nothing about Disney says you must do 499/180/60. Other than the 499, which allows Disney to forecast demand early, I'm not sure why they allow 180/60. I've seen people talk about staffing and food orders for restaurants, but none of that is needed 6 months out. You need a few weeks for staffing, tops. And the 60 is completely about building suspense. Because there is no reason that couldn't be 30 or 15 for operations purposes.

Anyway, the point is, Disney doesn't make you book 499/180/60. They give you that option. They aren't going to be constrained by an option they give you. For most people, who aren't as Disney crazy as we are, they aren't going to know about the changes made at 210 or 75 from their trip, so it doesn't matter if Disney announces it or not. We are such a small subset of fans that will complain about the loss of the March after plans are already made for parks because most of the people who go don't even know it takes place and are happy to stumble on it when it happens and don't know to miss it if it doesn't...

Right verb. You can, not must. Sure many of us feel like we are likely to miss out on something if we don't do 499/180/60, but lots of people don't. I think a lot of it is the difference between the once every couple years or once in a lifetime crowd and the every year or couple times a year crowd. If you go regularly, it's no big deal not to get on FoP or eat in that one special restaurant or stay at that one resort you love.

But nothing about Disney says you must do 499/180/60. Other than the 499, which allows Disney to forecast demand early, I'm not sure why they allow 180/60. I've seen people talk about staffing and food orders for restaurants, but none of that is needed 6 months out. You need a few weeks for staffing, tops. And the 60 is completely about building suspense. Because there is no reason that couldn't be 30 or 15 for operations purposes.

Anyway, the point is, Disney doesn't make you book 499/180/60. They give you that option. They aren't going to be constrained by an option they give you. For most people, who aren't as Disney crazy as we are, they aren't going to know about the changes made at 210 or 75 from their trip, so it doesn't matter if Disney announces it or not. We are such a small subset of fans that will complain about the loss of the March after plans are already made for parks because most of the people who go don't even know it takes place and are happy to stumble on it when it happens and don't know to miss it if it doesn't...

obviously you don't have to book that far out - but Disney had build a system that encourages it and increases your odds at getting what you want. So to maximize what you get to, it is best to book things as early as you want. For our next trip, we structured it so our DHS day was as late in our plans as possible to help secure Slinky Dog (and even though I was booking at 65 days out the earliest they had was 2:40pm). We weren't able to get 7DMT even though I was trying at 61 days. Is our vacation ruined b/c of that? Of course not - but I would prefer to maximize what we get done when I am vacationing anywhere and it is hard to do that at Disney if you don't book that far out

and I agree that there is no reason they couldn't do ADRs at 60 days and FP at 15 and 30 days. Just seems like Disney built a system to enable people to book very far in advance but then will change things well within that window - so as a planner, I find it rather annoying.

obviously you don't have to book that far out - but Disney had build a system that encourages it and increases your odds at getting what you want. So to maximize what you get to, it is best to book things as early as you want. For our next trip, we structured it so our DHS day was as late in our plans as possible to help secure Slinky Dog (and even though I was booking at 65 days out the earliest they had was 2:40pm). We weren't able to get 7DMT even though I was trying at 61 days. Is our vacation ruined b/c of that? Of course not - but I would prefer to maximize what we get done when I am vacationing anywhere and it is hard to do that at Disney if you don't book that far out

and I agree that there is no reason they couldn't do ADRs at 60 days and FP at 15 and 30 days. Just seems like Disney built a system to enable people to book very far in advance but then will change things well within that window - so as a planner, I find it rather annoying.

Especially when we are talking about 3 weeks notice for plans that are very encouraged to be in place at least 30 days out.....

Just wondering, do most people book their hotel 499 days in advance? I feel like the 180/60 for dining and fast passes is common.

Just wondering, do most people book their hotel 499 days in advance? I feel like the 180/60 for dining and fast passes is common.

I wouldn't say most - but just recently I've seen a few people posting Facebook groups asking why they can't see availability for their Dec 2020 trips and I mentioned to them you can only book 499 days in advance - so definitely some

I think it's most common at Fort Wilderness because of how hard it is to get spots, especially during holidays and high snowbird season.

Got My Ticket! Also the Lion King soundtrack list got released and I’m super excited that “He Lives In You” will be in the movie!

I am extremely happy that Hans Zimmer, Lebo M and Elton are all involved again. What a huge part of my tween-hood this soundtrack (and Rhythm of the Pride Lands) was.

[ETA] Would have loved to have seen Nala's "Shadowland" from the musical (based on the song "Lea Halalela" from Rhythm of the Pride Lands) incorporated here as I was hoping for more expansion on what the lionesses endured during Simba's absence, but then again, I have a hard time imagining Beyonce measuring up to Heather Headley for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter