News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m definitely one who thought the wheels would fall off at DL starting today. I’m just stunned at the low wait times they had park-wide not to mention the low-ish waits for the Falcon. The CM blackouts being lifted starting tomorrow are certainly interesting.
I wondered if there would be a little bit of "backlash*" but I thought that was just a wild thought that would not at all be reality. But it sure seems like people are going out of their way to NOT go to the park. I know the blackouts are probably a big part of that, but its still nuts. Obviously they are getting a huge inrush of tourists either.

*Not sure that backlash is the right world, but can't think of another one. I know I've been a SW fan my whole life, but was pretty annoyed when SW:GE opening was announced for my week at WDW, I would've moved my trip if my room had been refundable.

It’s the lack of notice that kills me.

We get 3 weeks? It’s not really a game changer but...
That's sorta what I meant. I don't particularly like the closures but the lack of notice is ridiculous. I told my little guy about it today and he was sad. He was ready to stand up to a Stormtrooper this year instead of standing behind Dad. I'm just waiting for them to cancel Jedi Training before July 11th.

I posted this in the SWGE thread as well. I think I am going to write an article about this but wanted to post some thoughts after tonights news and the first non-reservation day.

SWGE is a hit thematically, and from a theme park innovation standpoint. Now people are beginning to question the popularity of the land and what that means going forward. In my opinion Disneyland did an amazing job opening SWGE. The CM previews, to media days, and then reservations. It gave locals and hotel guests a "lower" crowd option to see the land and gave Disneyland management/ops some room to test and adjust. We saw several changes throughout that reservation period and even during day 1 of non-reservations we saw changes and tomorrow will bring more changes.

I do not think because of the low crowds that SWGE is not a success. Disney doesn't seem to be thrilled with the low crowds at the moment though with the lifting of CM blockouts. SoCal APs Deluxe and lower are still blocked out as well. No word if there will be any lifts there. It was also a Monday. Will the weekend be the same? We shall see of course. The virtual queue when in use worked extremely well too. I believe many just stayed away from DL today in anticipation of crowds. We shall see if that continues.

As for Walt Disney World. I imagine they were watching this today. WDW isn't the same demographic as DL. I do wonder though if they will implement the virtual queue after watching this. WDW Management doesn't always see things the same and may think its not needed. Hopefully they still have it in case it is needed. It would make everything so much more manageable.

The other point brought up is are people waiting to go to WDW? Are people waiting for ROTR to open? Definitely some are. Is that a huge amount though to make up the crowd difference we expected? We don't really know. The CM pass lifts are telling. I think Disney definitely expected bigger crowds. One more piece not as talked about but is pricing also getting to people? Park ticket, hotel, food, and then of course the Star Wars merch is not cheap. So are people just not going? More data we don't have.

Either way the days going forward will be something to watch.

I posted this in the SWGE thread as well. I think I am going to write an article about this but wanted to post some thoughts after tonights news and the first non-reservation day.

SWGE is a hit thematically, and from a theme park innovation standpoint. Now people are beginning to question the popularity of the land and what that means going forward. In my opinion Disneyland did an amazing job opening SWGE. The CM previews, to media days, and then reservations. It gave locals and hotel guests a "lower" crowd option to see the land and gave Disneyland management/ops some room to test and adjust. We saw several changes throughout that reservation period and even during day 1 of non-reservations we saw changes and tomorrow will bring more changes.

I do not think because of the low crowds that SWGE is not a success. Disney doesn't seem to be thrilled with the low crowds at the moment though with the lifting of CM blockouts. SoCal APs Deluxe and lower are still blocked out as well. No word if there will be any lifts there. It was also a Monday. Will the weekend be the same? We shall see of course. The virtual queue when in use worked extremely well too. I believe many just stayed away from DL today in anticipation of crowds. We shall see if that continues.

As for Walt Disney World. I imagine they were watching this today. WDW isn't the same demographic as DL. I do wonder though if they will implement the virtual queue after watching this. WDW Management doesn't always see things the same and may think its not needed. Hopefully they still have it in case it is needed. It would make everything so much more manageable.

The other point brought up is are people waiting to go to WDW? Are people waiting for ROTR to open? Definitely some are. Is that a huge amount though to make up the crowd difference we expected? We don't really know. The CM pass lifts are telling. I think Disney definitely expected bigger crowds. One more piece not as talked about but is pricing also getting to people? Park ticket, hotel, food, and then of course the Star Wars merch is not cheap. So are people just not going? More data we don't have.

It felt like crowds were there for GE - but people not doing GE were staying away for fear of crowds and the unknown - so the rest of DLR was quite empty

Will take some time for things to find an equilibrium - once people see how the virtual queue and the reservations at Savi's and Oga's work ... But you raise good questions. And you figure many of the big time Star Wars fans went during the previews and for now, are the prices getting to people and you can't just do a trip on a whim to see how it is. And for people that can't afford to go all the time, are they waiting to see how things work and for ROTR

Would be an interesting article - maybe even structure it as featuring various theories

That's kind of crappy.

We are headed there mid July for a family trip. Son loves seeing that show. So we lose that and gain nothing for this trip.

What's the opposite of pixie dust?
But who is going to make sure there aren’t any traitors walking around?

Best street entertainment ever. I know the stormtroopers will be back once SWGE opens, but that march is amazing. Guess I’ll have to watch it two or three times next week on the day I’m there.

I'm the exact opposite. I say good riddance. Maybe it's the fact that I'm an extreme pacifist, but I always felt that armed soldiers were wildly inappropriate for a theme park like Disney's Hollywood Studios.

For the record, I have no issue with their presence in a fully immersive world like Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

I think because both parts of the Disneyland opening went so smoothly, that World is going to be overconfident and do nothing more than they’ve done for Toy Story and Pandora. I think we’ll be getting an opposite experience from when each Resort initially opened. People likely avoided Land because they expected too much chaos, they now see it wasn’t that bad and now they’ll all converge on a less prepared World.

I think because both parts of the Disneyland opening went so smoothly, that World is going to be overconfident and do nothing more than they’ve done for Toy Story and Pandora. I think we’ll be getting an opposite experience from when each Resort initially opened. People likely avoided Land because they expected too much chaos, they now see it wasn’t that bad and now they’ll all converge on a less prepared World.
This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of...

Cant wait for Rat Ride at Epcot, Just rode it 2 days ago in Paris and it was great, I love the trackless design, I suspect the version at Epcot will be better overall with even stronger scents pushed in than the scents in Paris rat ride. Also all the Remy merch was pretty kool, I suspect we will get more of that here once Rat opens.

You took the words right out of my mouth. There is no way the WDW opening is going to be this smooth. If I didn’t want to go so badly I would wait it out.

Cant wait for Rat Ride at Epcot, Just rode it 2 days ago in Paris and it was great, I love the trackless design, I suspect the version at Epcot will be better overall with even stronger scents pushed in than the scents in Paris rat ride. Also all the Remy merch was pretty kool, I suspect we will get more of that here once Rat opens.

I'm more excited for this than Galaxy's Edge!!!

please, please, please be open (and running ;) ) by May, 2020!!!

I'm a little shocked at the lack of crowds for this so far.

However, when they repaint a wall at WDW it attracts crowds. SWGE will have a big opening here, although I'm beginning to think it wont be as bad as we all feared initially.

I honestly feel like the first issue with the blue & green milk, is that even though it's plant-based milk, is the "milk", which is a toughie since these drinks are supposed to be milk. ;) I just don't think a ton of people are going to love milky drinks (aside from actual milk-shakes, of course). I mean WDW sells the heck out of refillable cups that people happily chug (mostly) soda or other soft drinks out of all day long. Trying to sell a milky drink to those same folks may just be a really tough sell, no matter what flavors you put into it.

I think it’s a combination of a bunch of factors that lead to this:
#1 Many including me wanted to wait till the “craziness” died down before attending
#2 The reservation system worked perfectly. It allowed for a controlled environment inside the land and many who saw the land during reservations probably stayed away yesterday due to the fear of crazy crowds during non resvertaion window.
#3 Many who weren’t planning on visiting Galaxy Edge also stayed away from DLR as a whole because of the fear of high crowds during both reservation period and yesterday.

I don’t think RotR is playing to much of a factor, there might be some who wants to visit when both attractions are open but that’s probably a smaller amount of people. Money may also be a small factor but everything at Disney is expensive and we see crowd increases each year so why would money now be a factor. Unless we just hit the tipping point. All in all it’s a very interesting discussion.

Hagrids, just down the road, had a 10 hour wait. WDW SW:GE is not going to have a smooth opening.
I don’t think you can appropriately compare the two. Hagrids is a single ride and has not been running at full capacity. It also is an outdoor coaster and has to deal with weather stoppages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter