News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dining packages for everything!!

What I want to know is when I can schedule my dining package for the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular. $79.89 per adult at the backlot Cafe.

Make sure to still arrive at the show an hour before hand!

Thinking way too big :) .. they could do this for ANY show!
Muppets Dining Package - dinner at Pizzarizzos and front row seats to Muppetvision 3D for $29.99/adult!

A Dining Package for just a regular (multiple times a day) show just seems odd. Thus far, they've only had dining packages for the once a day shows, (like fireworks), right?
I guess it just frees up a Fast Pass for those who would (why, I don't know) Fast Pass the show.

After seeing how my son (when he was 4) enjoyed LEGOLAND .. and a small "old timey" park in Wisconsin (that collects/refurbishes some old carnival rides and puts them into a small family theme park), I feel Disney is missing more "toddler" areas or attractions. I mean . .I get why they don't as those rides traditionally can't hold adults and aren't really crowd eaters.

While it has toddler rides (like Dumbo and Aladdin's Carpets) .. and they can go on Dark rides, there is just something about sitting on a vehicle and going in a circle that just amazes and thrills kids under 5.

To me, while looking forward to Toy Story Land, that seems what is missing from the area. A TODDLER ride .. or a playground .. or a splash pad .. or an air-conditioned TOY store that makes it a fun themed lands for the really little ones.

What you cite above if one reason I am a bit upset they are removing Bugs Land from DCA - We found there was very little my younger kids could ride at DCA with Bugs Land being one area there were things for them - without it, very little for them

Totally agree that it would have been great to add in a play area - or, given the whole "lack of shade" thing - a splash area or like "Misting Garden" - would have been a great idea

Muppets Dining Package - dinner at Pizzarizzos and front row seats to Muppetvision 3D for $29.99/adult!

A Dining Package for just a regular (multiple times a day) show just seems odd. Thus far, they've only had dining packages for the once a day shows, (like fireworks), right?
I guess it just frees up a Fast Pass for those who would (why, I don't know) Fast Pass the show.
The only dining package Disney does that is similar is for the Frozen Musical at DCA which really isn’t needed anymore.

After seeing how my son (when he was 4) enjoyed LEGOLAND .. and a small "old timey" park in Wisconsin (that collects/refurbishes some old carnival rides and puts them into a small family theme park), I feel Disney is missing more "toddler" areas or attractions. I mean . .I get why they don't as those rides traditionally can't hold adults and aren't really crowd eaters.

While it has toddler rides (like Dumbo and Aladdin's Carpets) .. and they can go on Dark rides, there is just something about sitting on a vehicle and going in a circle that just amazes and thrills kids under 5.

To me, while looking forward to Toy Story Land, that seems what is missing from the area. A TODDLER ride .. or a playground .. or a splash pad .. or an air-conditioned TOY store that makes it a fun themed lands for the really little ones.

I dunno what it is but mine is 12 and still loves spinner rides like that, especially Aladdin's because we can move a decent amount. I wouldn't wait very long for it but at night it sees some fairly low wait times and feels a bit different in the dark. I do wish they had kept a part of that HISTK playground just because I remember playing on that when I was little and it would've been a nice thing to keep in that area.

I think (based on my very new experience parenting, so I'm completely admitting my newbness) maybe lots of kids aren't as fascinated about the small rides anymore? Tried to take the 2.5 and 4 year old to the kiddie ride section of a local carnival and we were told those rides for babies (this is a daily or hourly refrain as the kids declare themselves "big") and they were rejected. Or maybe we should try this again?

Also, I'm pretty shocked at the amount of rides a 38in kid can ride at WDW. Especially if you're kids love the dark and spooky stuff; I was terribly excited.

I'll remember it and will miss it

RIP Heimlich's Chew Chew Train

(still think they should pack it up and send it east and add it to Toy Story Land)

I hope they don't scrap it. It's not that old and it's really cute. I don't think it would physically fit in Toy Story Land. The easiest place for it to fit would be Rafiki's Planet Watch in Animal Kingdom. It currently has no rides, but a train attraction at a place where the only way to get there is by train would be kind of redundant. I guess they could also put it by the Bug's Life show in Animal Kingdom. Honestly, they probably could just move most of the rides to Animal Kingdom.

so you are proposing they pay adults @29.00 to watch MuppetVission 3D?

Also, I'm pretty shocked at the amount of rides a 38in kid can ride at WDW. Especially if you're kids love the dark and spooky stuff; I was terribly excited.
We’ve been going since our oldest was 15mos old and have always found a ton to do. They both jumped on the height restricted rides as soon as they were able and loved them — with the exception of my son REFUSING to do ToT — ever! :-D

I still remember when my daughter was 3 and spent the whole stretch room trying to convince a 10yo that there was nothing to be afraid of — it was just pretend — “enjoy it!”. LOL!!

We’ve been going since our oldest was 15mos old and have always found a ton to do. They both jumped on the height restricted rides as soon as they were able and loved them — with the exception of my son REFUSING to do ToT — ever! :-D

I still remember when my daughter was 3 and spent the whole stretch room trying to convince a 10yo that there was nothing to be afraid of — it was just pretend — “enjoy it!”. LOL!!

My kids too seem to have more issues with “spooky” stuff than thrills. My 9 year old (who loves Everest) won’t ride ToT and even know when we go on HM I have to tell them how it is “fun scary” - they are nervous at the beginning but enjoy it by the end

My son did ride ToT when he was four. After I asked him what he thought and he said, straight faced, “That was not good”

That's awesome. I could see either of these precious tots behaving similarly.

Now that the kids know we're going they've seen the rides so much and have fallen in love with Grim Grinning Ghosts and the "Yo ho" Pirate songs - they finally displaced Daft Punk for car rides. I love Daft Punk too kids, but man, too much of a good thing.

What are the rumors of ride closures in late August? Is that easily accessible info? I've never really cared before, but I'm just realizing I made have another, of so many, parenting mistakes by showing the kids all the rides we could ride.

Yikes... :(

Toy Story Land’s Early Woes: Unsafe Fences, Poorly Executed Restrooms, and Slow Food Service Plague Disney World’s Latest Addition

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/toy-story...service-plaque-disney-worlds-latest-addition/
Apparently Disney has adopted the prevalent corporate attitude of today.
"Get the product out there. We'll fix it later."
I just spent a month dealing with that attitude from a major appliance manufacturer.
I had a stove delivered that wasn't even close to factory specs and was in fact dangerous to operate.
The replacement that they sent was identical to the first unit.
I finally ordered an upgraded model (Can you say "bait and switch kids?") but refused to pay the upcharge due to the inconvenience of being without a functioning stove for an entire month.
The factory Engineer that I spoke with said that "production quotas" were to blame for these incidents.
Which brings me back to Disney having to hurry the Hell up to get Toy Story Land opened on time.
What ever happened to "Get it right the first time"?

Toy Story land was a total bust for our 2 year old. We spent our time there huddled in the shade of a trash can while DH took our two older kids on Slinky. I will not subject a too short kid to TSL again during the afternoon sun.

Splash Mountain, however, was a great rider swap ride. That dinky little play area kept DD2 entertained so well I had to pry her away when our rides were done. There’s also the little gift shop near by to cool down in.

I just spent a month dealing with that attitude from a major appliance manufacturer.
I had a stove delivered that wasn't even close to factory specs and was in fact dangerous to operate.
I finally ordered an upgraded model (Can you say "bait and switch kids?") but refused to pay the upcharge due to the inconvenience of being without a functioning stove for an entire month.
The factory Engineer that I spoke with said that "production quotas" were to blame for these incidents.
Which brings me back to Disney having to hurry the Hell up to get Toy Story Land opened on time.

I was a production engineer who now works in product support, so I've had the pleasure of experiencing this from both sides. First unrealistic deadlines and the push to release drawings before they were complete, and now I get to deal with the customers when things fail because they were rushed.

The bathroom issue is surprising. Other issues not so much.
I did not realize what the fences were made of, I just assumed they looked like that to imitate being built from a child's toy. They look so sad boarded up!

I did notice the urinal issue (height, not mess) when I went in that restroom. I assumed it was to keep with theme of being shrunk down like a toy or for "kids," etc. Guess it was just an afterthought. While the bathrooms fit with the theming, I was very disappointed in the size and quality. I know it sounds weird, but Norway's bathrooms and the Tangled bathrooms are gorgeous. The Toy Story bathrooms are pathetic in comparison. I found myself utilizing the one by the old Pixar Place sign more.

There were so many umbrellas stationed around the queues for the meet and greets and extended SDD lines. Definitely seems like they just shoved them in last minute realizing how hot it would be. People were crammed underneath them as the lines moved for coverage.

It is very sad that there are so many "band-aid" fixes in a brand new place. I hope Disney fixes the issues.

My kids too seem to have more issues with “spooky” stuff than thrills. My 9 year old (who loves Everest) won’t ride ToT and even know when we go on HM I have to tell them how it is “fun scary” - they are nervous at the beginning but enjoy it by the end

My son did ride ToT when he was four. After I asked him what he thought and he said, straight faced, “That was not good”
Ditto with my son.

When he was 3 and 4? (and the ONLY child)
Peter Pan dark ride? Loved it.
Little Mermaid dark ride? Don't want to ride it again because Ursula is "scary"

We just decided to not take our son on Haunted Mansion or Pirates because it is too scary for HIS personality. He doesn't even want to do Jedi Training because the thought of standing up to Darth Vader or Darth Maul (fake or not) is intimidating to him.

We are going in the fall when he is 6, we will see what happens. My daughter (who will be 2) may go on scary things because his brother does. Second child syndrome ..

Toy Story land was a total bust for our 2 year old. We spent our time there huddled in the shade of a trash can while DH took our two older kids on Slinky. I will not subject a too short kid to TSL again during the afternoon sun.
Oh man .. well hopefully going in November with a 2 year old will be better (less oppressive heat). Luckily she should be tall enough to go on Swirling saucers at least.

Yeah... that was my thought. I remember back when Apple products released were actually ready for prime time. Still not as bad as Microsoft, but COME ON!!

To be honest, both the bathroom AND plastic fence issues surprised me. Where in the heck else have they used a PLASTIC FENCE?! Why did anyone think that would fly??

That's awesome. I could see either of these precious tots behaving similarly.

Now that the kids know we're going they've seen the rides so much and have fallen in love with Grim Grinning Ghosts and the "Yo ho" Pirate songs - they finally displaced Daft Punk for car rides. I love Daft Punk too kids, but man, too much of a good thing.

What are the rumors of ride closures in late August? Is that easily accessible info? I've never really cared before, but I'm just realizing I made have another, of so many, parenting mistakes by showing the kids all the rides we could ride.
Very happy for you, having this trip with the kids ahead of you! Requires more patience, but I think is just flat out more fun in many ways. :)

I like this one for closures because of how clearly they're listed by date/month: https://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm

This is also good source, I think... https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/closures

And there's always this, of course... http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm

I don't see anything for late Aug, excel the riverboat in MK per DIS. I sometimes check a few right before our trip just in case, if there's something we're dying to do in particular. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter