News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly that is one reason we have never done either the Halloween or Christmas parties - just mentally I have trouble dealing with "wait, I paid for tickets for the week, why do I need to pay for another ticket to get in?" - I know you don't have to have a regular ticket for the day you do the party and can use the party ticket to come in at 4, but like you said, once you get up to like 5 days adding days 6 and 7 are very inexpensive

Don't blame you. Hate doing the stinking parties.

That said, good chance we are going to one of those August parties - we are letting DD bring a friend and she is very excited to go to the party with her friend. I loathe the idea, but don't feel they are quite old enough at 15 to just pay for their tickets and let them go by themselves.

Come August 25th (Or September 1st) expect me to be griping about the party on here.

Don't blame you. Hate doing the stinking parties.

That said, good chance we are going to one of those August parties - we are letting DD bring a friend and she is very excited to go to the party with her friend. I loathe the idea, but don't feel they are quite old enough at 15 to just pay for their tickets and let them go by themselves.

Come August 25th (Or September 1st) expect me to be griping about the party on here.

We are actually potentially going to be there that week as well - if my father in law comes with us we might get the military salute tickets so would be there for more days than tickets so then on an off day we might just do the party, just to try it since we have never done it and I would like to see the parade at least once

Maybe they should add Easter parties or something, and then they can be like EPCOT and just have each festival/party season run into each other so there is something going on year-round

I'm really surprised that Disney hasn't brought back the Princess and Pirates party to MK.

Or better yet, make a Villains take over the MK extra ticket event for those slow months of January-early March. I think a big reason the Villain's party in DHS failed is because those CMs and managers or whatever weren't used to separate ticket party crowds.

I was going to mention that the TRIED having hard ticket parties nearly year round with the Pirates and Princess Party - but that party ended up being a bust for them. (I heard it was a great event, just didn't get the attendance they wanted.) I AM surprised they haven't given something like it another try. I suppose that's sort of what these hard ticket events in Jan/Feb are though - right?

We are actually potentially going to be there that week as well - if my father in law comes with us we might get the military salute tickets so would be there for more days than tickets so then on an off day we might just do the party, just to try it since we have never done it and I would like to see the parade at least once

Maybe we'll see you there. We were planning August 18th - 26th, but for some reason DVC room availabilty is pretty bad that week, so now I'm going to see if I can get something better August 25th to September 2nd. Should know when we'll be going before the end of January.

We did MNSSHP and MVMCP in back to back years in 2015 and 2016. The first year was a Universal trip and the second was a Legoland trip. We enjoyed going to MK for one day on a trip focused elsewhere. I think I'd find it hard to swallow paying for the party ticket if we already were buying 5+ day tickets though...

We enjoyed both events though.

It would have been nice to have medical expertise during our last trip to Beach Club last fall, when I broke my pinky toe while unpacking the very first night (caught it on the corner wall between sleeping area and bathroom. Rather than take the time to go to the hospital for an x-ray, and assuming that the treatment was going to be wrapping and icing it anyway, that's what I did. But it did slow us down a bit.

It would be have nice to have onsite advice to confirm what I was doing was the correct approach.

I went to one of the in-park first aid stations after doing pretty much the same thing a few years ago (I broke my toe on the dresser on the morning of our last day). I'd broken toes before, so I figured it'd just be tape it to the next toe and go, but they were at least able to provide more supplies to do so.

This sounds terrific! We've done the Eastern Caribbean 7-day cruise, and have been talking about Paris when the kids get a tad older. I've been eying some other river cruise companies, but kept telling my husband: "Disney will do it at some point... maybe in time for us!" :)

News/Rumor

According to a poster on WDWMagic Mickey's Not So Scary will begin August 24th and have three parties in August. The 2PM parade test and 6PM party start test worked well so that will continue as well.
Of course. Who doesn't start celebrating Halloween at the end of August? :rolleyes1

We do love a good MNSSHP, though... and haven't done one in years. If my daughter gets into the same school that my son is in, we'll be able to push our summer trip later and catch this... FINGERS CROSSED (ummm... not JUST for the MNSHHP, but for her getting into the school! :hyper: )

News/Rumor

According to a poster on WDWMagic Mickey's Not So Scary will begin August 24th and have three parties in August. The 2PM parade test and 6PM party start test worked well so that will continue as well.

We'll be in Orlando Aug 18-25 (getting on the DCL Fantasy on the 25th). We normally do not stay off site, but we won a week at a condo in Kissimmee at one of our school fundraising events, so we're using it the week before getting on the cruise. We haven't worked out what we'll do exactly with regards to the parks that week. We're leaning more toward doing Discovery Cove (and then Seaworld & Aquatica since their admissions will be included as part of the DC ticket), and maybe Universal for a couple of days since we'll be getting our "Disney fix" while on the cruise. However, this gives me pause to consider adding going to MK for the party. Although, the only previous time we did it was a couple of years ago, also on the first party night, and it was surprisingly packed for it still being August and all (apparently thanks in large part to the blogger/vlogger community, who all attend the first night so they can put out reviews), and probably not the best night to go. Plus, we would then have to bring all that candy onto the ship with us.

honestly that is one reason we have never done either the Halloween or Christmas parties - just mentally I have trouble dealing with "wait, I paid for tickets for the week, why do I need to pay for another ticket to get in?" - I know you don't have to have a regular ticket for the day you do the party and can use the party ticket to come in at 4, but like you said, once you get up to like 5 days adding days 6 and 7 are very inexpensive
At some point, after visiting year after year, some folks start looking for new and unique things to do. That's when those events are especially useful.

interesting read, though "Plummeting" seems a bit strong:

"While “Star Wars” was still the top-selling toy line during the nine-week holiday period, it fell to second place overall last year and below the all-time high seen in 2016, according to data from market research firm NPD Group shared with Bloomberg News." - I mean, still the top selling toy and 2016 was an all time high

I do think the latest movies - Rogue One and The Last Jedi appealed to kids a lot less than The Force Awakens (I know that is true for my kids)

To make up for it they should just pump out some more Star Wars Legos - they can't make enough of those $800 Millennium Falcon kits

I wasn't being facetious - they waiting list for one is over 10,000 long. They sold more in the first 3 days they were on sale than they thought they would in the first year. They are going for well over $1,000 on eBay
Well if I had more disposable income I would be on that waiting list. $800 is just too much.

Food for thought:

I just got off the phone with a CM who "suggested" a late June opening for Toy Story Land. He pointed out that is when the Florida Resident Offer tickets expire. He noted that they expired in May in the year that Pandora opened. Hmmm....
Not sure how I feel about this as I just booked a trip the last week of July. It might be CRAZY! But I guess it would have been the same if it opens in May.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter