News Round Up 2017

Does anyone know if Animal Kingdom has ever reached capacity? I know it's a massive park and would take a ton of people to close it, but maybe when EE opened?
I was looking at the hotels that still have rooms available for Memorial Day Weekend and they are starting to get scarce. I also wonder how many AP holders are booking rooms now so they can get fast passes and then cancel the room at the 30 day point.

Does anyone know if Animal Kingdom has ever reached capacity? I know it's a massive park and would take a ton of people to close it, but maybe when EE opened?
I was looking at the hotels that still have rooms available for Memorial Day Weekend and they are starting to get scarce. I also wonder how many AP holders are booking rooms now so they can get fast passes and then cancel the room at the 30 day point.
I don't believe it ever has reached capacity.

I was curious and looked last night too, not a lot of options especially at the values. I believe it was ASMusic and Pop, full rate preferred locations. I can't see the AP rates though.

Found this on a certain touring plans website that you can find without much searching:

Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom have each only closed twice in the past 10 years. Both hit a Phase 2 closure on December 28, 2011, and each reached that same level during Christmas week of 2009.

Phase 2 closure is basically off-site guests coming to the parking lot aren't allowed in, unless they've already entered another park that day. Apparently Epcot hasn't reached any closure in the last 10 years. MK has reached the various closure levels a ton of times, but always around Easter and New Years/Christmas.

From what I saw, MK hits Phase 1 at 65,000 guests, and full closure at around 100,000 guests. Since typically when we go there are around 35,000 -45,000 guests (52,000 guests is "average"), I can't even imagine 100,000 guests in that park. AK and DHS apparently close somewhere below 75,000 guests, but I couldn't find a firm number anywhere for those.

Phase 2 closure is basically off-site guests coming to the parking lot aren't allowed in, unless they've already entered another park that day. Apparently Epcot hasn't reached any closure in the last 10 years. MK has reached the various closure levels a ton of times, but always around Easter and New Years/Christmas.

From what I saw, MK hits Phase 1 at 65,000 guests, and full closure at around 100,000 guests. Since typically when we go there are around 35,000 -45,000 guests (52,000 guests is "average"), I can't even imagine 100,000 guests in that park. AK and DHS apparently close somewhere below 75,000 guests, but I couldn't find a firm number anywhere for those.

My first thought in reading this is how claustrophobic/crazy it would feel with 100,000 people in MK

We were at EPCOT for Dec 31, 1999. I remember we took the first bus over in the a.m., around 6:30 or 7 a.m. if I remember, from the Lake Buena Vista Embassy Suites and the third bus, 1.5 or 2 hours later, was denied entrance. I don't know if it hit Phase 3 or Phase 4, or if they even used the same terminology, but by mid morning you could hardly move and they relayed that you could no longer park in the parking lots. It stayed that way the entire day. We slept on the grass outside Universe of Energy (even then that area of the park was the least crowded!) in the mid-afternoon, then moved to World Showcase, had a 4 p.m. dinner, and took turns staking out our fireworks spot until midnight.

When it wasn't our turn to guard the 4'x8' spot we staked out for 10 of us, my 21 year old self, 23 year old sister, 29 year old brother in law, and cousin (age not disclosed!), drank our way around the world twice out of sheer boredom. The grog almost killed me. Never again. You couldn't get on a ride if you wanted to, and QS and drink lines were 35 minutes to 2 hours long. I've never seen the Showcase walkway shoulder to shoulder and completely blocked like that. CMs were desperately trying to clear a path 2 people wide pretty much the whole evening and it just wasn't going to happen.

We saw the fireworks and then just sat there until 2 a.m. while the park tried to empty. Eventually we got a bus back to Buena Vista Village after 3 a.m. from one of the EPCOT resorts and walked back to the Embassy Suites. I remember getting in the door sometime after 4 a.m. It's a neat thing to have done for the millennial changeover, but it wasn't the most fun I've ever had at Disney. It was close to 23 hours door to door from the hotel.

We were at EPCOT for Dec 31, 1999. I remember we took the first bus over in the a.m., around 6:30 or 7 a.m. if I remember, from the Lake Buena Vista Embassy Suites and the third bus, 1.5 or 2 hours later, was denied entrance. I don't know if it hit Phase 3 or Phase 4, or if they even used the same terminology, but by mid morning you could hardly move and they relayed that you could no longer park in the parking lots. It stayed that way the entire day. We slept on the grass outside Universe of Energy (even then that area of the park was the least crowded!) in the mid-afternoon, then moved to World Showcase, had a 4 p.m. dinner, and took turns staking out our fireworks spot until midnight.

When it wasn't our turn to guard the 4'x8' spot we staked out for 10 of us, my 21 year old self, 23 year old sister, 29 year old brother in law, and cousin (age not disclosed!), drank our way around the world twice out of sheer boredom. The grog almost killed me. Never again. You couldn't get on a ride if you wanted to, and QS and drink lines were 35 minutes to 2 hours long. I've never seen the Showcase walkway shoulder to shoulder and completely blocked like that. CMs were desperately trying to clear a path 2 people wide pretty much the whole evening and it just wasn't going to happen.

We saw the fireworks and then just sat there until 2 a.m. while the park tried to empty. Eventually we got a bus back to Buena Vista Village after 3 a.m. from one of the EPCOT resorts and walked back to the Embassy Suites. I remember getting in the door sometime after 4 a.m. It's a neat thing to have done for the millennial changeover, but it wasn't the most fun I've ever had at Disney. It was close to 23 hours door to door from the hotel.
We were there for that experience also! Although as parents of two teens, we didn't really start drinking until we smuggled in bottles of champagne for the fireworks.

We had to stand in line to get in, and even though we were in an Epcot Hotel, the line wound all the way around the lake and it probably took us 2 hours to get in
But I believe all Disney Hotel guests got in and we were able to go in and out during the day.

Like you said it was cheek to cheek everywhere you went that day, but it was a day I will never ever forget. Luckily, we were staying at the Dolphin, the only Hotel we could get because we booked only 6 months in advance rather than two years like everyone else! So we were able to walk back to our rooms and not have to wait for buses.

It was fun to see all the preparations they had made for the Y2K scare! We still have the flashlight that they gave us for our room.

Seems like an awfully long time ago!

I also wonder how many AP holders are booking rooms now so they can get fast passes and then cancel the room at the 30 day point.

Is this a thing? I have to imagine that they wouldn't look too kindly on anyone trying to execute this plan more than once.

Last edited:
I saw a post on Facebook that mentioned Star Lord and Groot being at a M&G in DHS ... you seeing anything on that?
That was from WDWNT I believe. I don't know about Groot specifically but Star Lord did have auditions a month or so ago.

I was thinking the same thing! IF so, they should try to find a way to close that loophole asap.

I've never done it, but this loophole HAS occurred to me...book a room on-site and then cancel when there are less than 30 days left so you don't invalidate your FP+. Not sure how they would close the loophole in that case, because with less than 30 days out your FP+ is now valid whether you are on-site or not. Doubt it's a huge problem, but if it is you can bet Disney will start tracking it and try to figure out a way around it.

I've never done it, but this loophole HAS occurred to me...book a room on-site and then cancel when there are less than 30 days left so you don't invalidate your FP+. Not sure how they would close the loophole in that case, because with less than 30 days out your FP+ is now valid whether you are on-site or not. Doubt it's a huge problem, but if it is you can bet Disney will start tracking it and try to figure out a way around it.
So if you have a room only reservation, your FP+ stay with you as long as you cancel the room within 30 days? That seems crazy!

I'd imagine only a small fraction realize you can do that. Plus it would really mess with people who have split stays if they closed the loophole.

So if you have a room only reservation, your FP+ stay with you as long as you cancel the room within 30 days? That seems crazy!

Sounds like it! I wonder if they have any way to track it. Like how many room only reservations (especially campsites) cancel between 20-14 days out? Maybe they don't even care because it makes bookings look better and they can sell off those rooms without discount to people at the last minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter