Newly Diagnosed with Diabetes

You don't have to leave lines to correct, BTW.
You don't have to but it doesn't mean people might not need to. As you noted, even with a CGM and all the tech available (I personally wear a CGM that is fully integrated with my pump via control-iq) lows can and will sneak up on you especially in unusual situations. The tech can't always keep up with how dynamic blood glucose control can be. Its also important to note that every individual experiences lows differently. I'm totally coherent and capable of fixing issues at very low numbers but I have friends that are type 1 that become very confused even at 60 mg/dl. Low BG brain fog is not something I would be able to deal with in a crowded line even if I had the right treatments on hand.

You don't have to but it doesn't mean people might not need to. As you noted, even with a CGM and all the tech available (I personally wear a CGM that is fully integrated with my pump via control-iq) lows can and will sneak up on you especially in unusual situations. The tech can't always keep up with how dynamic blood glucose control can be. Its also important to note that every individual experiences lows differently. I'm totally coherent and capable of fixing issues at very low numbers but I have friends that are type 1 that become very confused even at 60 mg/dl. Low BG brain fog is not something I would be able to deal with in a crowded line even if I had the right treatments on hand.

We're very experienced with diabetes and I understand all of this. I was simply sharing that *WE* don't need it for diabetes, which is what the poster asked. Everyone's mileage may vary. Another example of just because there is a diagnosis, doesn't mean there is a need.

I know it’s easy for me to say on the other side, but I’m willing to bet that you’ll be surprised how soon it all becomes second nature to you.
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for those who are efficiently managing their diabetes to hit the wall quite unexpectedly when at WDW.
Keep in mind there may be just as much heat and more walking outside the queue while waiting than in the queue, which is often A/C or at least fans.
Absolutely true. a diabetic‘s sugar dropping is quite frightening to observe. the nurse in first aid gave great advice years ago to my family. advised to double the amount of water per day & that the first stop at WDW should be at a counter serve to grab a couple of sugar packets from CS & stash in park bag JIK. Has literally ‘saved the day’ multiple times.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for those who are efficiently managing their diabetes to hit the wall quite unexpectedly when at WDW.

Absolutely true. a diabetic‘s sugar dropping is quite frightening to observe. the nurse in first aid gave great advice years ago to my family. advised to double the amount of water per day & that the first stop at WDW should be at a counter serve to grab a couple of sugar packets from CS & stash in park bag JIK. Has literally ‘saved the day’ multiple times.
My go to is starburst. 4g per square so easy to dose and tasty too. They also do pretty well regardless of weather. Pro tip: bring double the number you need if your six year old is with you lol.

It's interesting to me; I've had several T1's on the boards comment that they don't have issues at Disney; it certainly doesn't mean that others don't. My T1 is almost completely hypo unaware, and her lows can come on dramatically and without any logical reason. Yes, she has a CGM, and a pump, but just this week, she had a 40 with two down arrows, in the middle of the night, with no insulin on board. Disney can also impact her without logic - not sure if it's the hot weather? The exercise (she's an athlete, so she knows how to handle that); the excitement...any number of factors. We've just learned to be very, very prepared.

I have type 2 but only just barely and also recently diagnosed. I do however experience these lows ever since I had gastric bypass surgery 20 years ago. It’s an unfortunate side-effect for me. Since he hasnt experienced one yet, he won’t know, but I can tell you w me, they come on FAST. I mean, like between the time I first start feeling the sweating and NEED for sugar NOW, and when it’s at a very serious level that needs immediate attention is 10-ish minutes. At least for me. Thankfully you’re surrounded by food at Disney, but as another poster said, if you’re stuck in a ride or in line and that low comes on, have some juice or granola bars on you. It helps! I know I get out of control eating everything I’m sight until I feel it going down. Not exactly the *optimal* way to deal w it. I feel I have no control. I hope all goes well! 👍
We definitely get the lows that come on without warning. The crazy lines on my T1's CGM are straight vertical drops (more steep than Tower of Terror...lol) and she feels nothing until it's too late. There have been many discussions in many places about "needing" a DAS. My T1's endo told her that if she DIDN'T get one, she should never go back to Disney (she can see her numbers). We've also had a few really scary lows there (one on Splash Mountain where she lost conciousness). We've also changed our park strategy, and almost always go back to the resort mid-day, especially when it's super sunny/hot. Not everyone's T1 is the same (or T2), so talk to YOUR medical professional/endo and trust your own judgement.

Last edited:
Even if you're well-acquainted with your usual symptoms, the heat, fatigue, and overstimulation of a day in the parks can easily mimic them. Heck, the effects of travel in general can do the same. The last time I was on an airplane It took nearly the whole flight to get my BG back up to normal. I must have looked awful, because the flight attendant kept checking in on me.

There is also the exertion effect with T1 that I'm all too familiar with. Go for hard exercise? Go high. Do something seemingly small like vacuum the living room, boom 30 mg/dl. So Disney combines all those weird ups and downs and makes for a fun time :D

Even if you're well-acquainted with your usual symptoms, the heat, fatigue, and overstimulation of a day in the parks can easily mimic them. Heck, the effects of travel in general can do the same. The last time I was on an airplane It took nearly the whole flight to get my BG back up to normal. I must have looked awful, because the flight attendant kept checking in on me.
Exactly. I read somewhere that there are over 100 factors that can cause blood sugar changes. A day at a Disney Park definitely contains a lot of those "triggers". What I've learned over the past three years, is that even if you are super well managed (which my T1 is), anything and everything can cause an unexpected change - high or low. As many posters have said - BE PREPARED. Extras of EVERYTHING, low snacks especially. An don't be afraid to take breaks and listen to your body. As you've said, so many "symptoms" of a typical park day/travel can mask or mimic diabetes issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter