Newbee not impressed so far

Alaskan bound

Earning My Ears
I am taking my first Disney cruise to Alaska at the end of June. I have run into nothing but frustration when dealing with registering for excursions and boarding time. I just can fathom how Disney has done this for 25 years and still not work out the "kinks". The night I was to register for excursions, the site was down for my part of the US. We didn't get the excursion we had our heart set on. Then in trying to book a boarding time, I couldn't get on. I kept refreshing and refreshing for over an hour. No luck. Finally the next day, I was able to get on, fill the necessary info on each of us traveling (2 adults that live in different States), which wasn't easy. We got a late boarding time, of course. Much later than we'd planned. I paid over $8gs months ago for this once in a lifetime cruise. And am not impressed so far. I've call costumer service after each incident but no solution was offered. Sure hoping the cruise is better than the service I've gotten so far.

Disney IT is notoriously and universally awful. I also had a hard time with the online check in, but it didn't really surprise me as I've been through many other DL/WDW website challenges the past few years. Working in the IT field it baffles me that they can't do better (and I assume the don't prioritize it financially).

What excursions were you not able to get? As first time cruisers, we knew we wouldn't be able to get some of the most coveted ones and so we booked all of ours outside of DCL (saving about $800 in the process). You might check independent tour options. Many of them are the same tours as the cruiselines and offer guarantees to get you back on the ship.

You can also keep checking out for earlier PAT times and DCL excursions/activities opening up. And if all else fails continue checking once you get onboard.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Sorry you had issues. A late port time is not necessarily a bad thing. Early means more waiting in line. Later times can have you breezing through security and right onto the ship.

When we did Alaska we did 2/3 of the ports on our own. Chilkoot charters in Skagway is fantastic! I felt comfortable booking on our own due to later times in ports and the fact that we're in the US. I mostly book DCL excursions in Europe as it's outside my comfort zone there. Keep checking the app for cancellations, as the cruise gets closer people may change their minds.

Alaska is beautiful. And the characters in Alaska gear are adorable. The 3 Broadway style stage shows are great and we enjoyed the nature talks on our 2016 cruise. And if you don't mind the cold, the heated pools are less crowded than Caribbean cruises!

Enjoy the cruise!

Not sure why they changed the system. You used to be able to book your excursions when you booked your cruise. Other lines still do it that way.

Not sure why they changed the system. You used to be able to book your excursions when you booked your cruise. Other lines still do it that way.
How long ago was it that DCL allowed you to book excursions when you booked the cruise? Must be a long time ago. That would be a nice feature, I know other cruise lines let you do that as you mentioned.

True , and agree , however those other cruise lines charge you at time of booking as well
Good point. It's good from a budgeting perspective (get more stuff paid off before the cruise) but what if your excursion is cancelled during the cruise? I would expect a full refund vs a credit to the onboard acct. That seems like a lot of fiddling around so I do like that you don't have to pay until you are onboard.

I had the same experience my first DCL cruise…and then had the most lovely time once on board. Even getting onto the shop a little later than I originally wanted didn’t stop us from having a good lunch, time to ride the water slide, and then to unpack before the muster drill.
I agree with the PP who have said to book the excursion you had your heart set on directly rather than through Disney. As long as your start and end times for the excursion give you a bit of a cushion from the disembarkation and reboarding times for the ship, you shouldn’t have any problem. We’re doing Alaska next summer and want to do the dogsledding/helicopter excursion, but booking direct will save almost $250 per person! We’re concierge so I’m not that worried about being able to book it before it sells out, but I’m pretty sure we’re going to go ahead and enjoy the $1000 savings and book direct.
I just think of it as technology and magic being mutually exclusive, therefore the IT for any of Disney just can’t function properly. But once you’re onboard, there’s plenty of magic to make for a lovely, once in a lifetime, amazing vacation.

Not in my experience (at least since 2008 when I started cruising on DCL). Booking excursions happens when your CC club level opened. For a first time cruiser it's (or used to be) at 75 days out.

Not in my experience (at least since 2008 when I started cruising on DCL). Booking excursions happens when your CC club level opened. For a first time cruiser it's (or used to be) at 75 days out.
Yeah, CC club level didn't exist when I cruised. It was all first come first served, but I don't recall a lot of issues with people not getting the excursions they wanted. The tour operators were very good at shifting buses and and staff to the excursions people were booking on each cruise. They knew that a certain amount of the 2,700 or so people would take an excursion, and in most cases they reallocated buses and staff to the excursions that were booked.

How long ago was it that DCL allowed you to book excursions when you booked the cruise? Must be a long time ago. That would be a nice feature, I know other cruise lines let you do that as you mentioned.
2003/04 when they still just had two ships.

Good point. It's good from a budgeting perspective (get more stuff paid off before the cruise) but what if your excursion is cancelled during the cruise? I would expect a full refund vs a credit to the onboard acct. That seems like a lot of fiddling around so I do like that you don't have to pay until you are onboard.

It should be refunded to the original payment source. The charge doesn’t happen until you are on the ship - to your onboard account.

Talking about other cruise lines? Yes, refund goes to payment source, whether you cancel reservation months ahead or they cancel on you.

Charging at time of booking probably helps eliminate one of the frustrations of booking Port Adventures with DCL - those who book something with a good chance they will cancel just before the cruise. Leaving guests like the OP with a concern they will be left high and dry for excursions.

Last edited:
Sorry you had so much trouble, but you are much better off booking excursions on your own, especially in a place as special as Alaska. You'll save money and have a much better experience vs the cattle call DCL excursions. If you give some specific examples of what you're looking for I'm sure folks on here can give you lots of good ideas of reputable companies to book with.

Good luck!

@Alaskan bound. I hope you can get past the issues of Disney IT and planning an expensive vacation. You would think lots of $ should = a wonderful experience.

The experience should come to fruition when you are spending time in Alaska. The cruise really is your floating, mobile room and board. And in this case, with Disney touches and entertainment.

It is very hard for a lot of cruisers - those starting and those with experience - to utilize outside vendors for excursions. But these same vendors are often the ones serving Disney. You can be sitting with your fellow cruisers, but having paid less money. And they won’t leave you by the road and rush the DCL guests back to the ship.

Figure out which sources you trust. TripAdvisor, Viator (those belong to same company), this forum, Cruise Critic… to get information about tours and tour vendors. There are a lot of companies that have been serving cruisers for a long time. I truly believe that a company won’t last long in these ports if they don’t have a good record. Read the reviews!

There are very few activities that won’t be available to you. They even have kiosks at the ports to pick up those last minute planners. (It helps if you know what an alternative activity / vendor would be acceptable at a port. Even ship excursions can be cancelled at the last minute - and it can be up to you to figure what to do.)

I agree with others that a later PAT is not a curse. I do not understand the desire to stand in a line with others who had to get on the boat early. It is exciting to be onboard, even after many cruises, but the first afternoon is not chock full of activities.

You can playin the pools. Wander around, checking out the ship. But the Wonder is not so big nor complicated that you won’t be able to navigate it quickly.

Security screening
Check-in
Boarding photos by photographers (themed with cruise info printed on it. Bypass if truly not interested.
Step aboard and be announced
Wonder where to go
Usually lunch - in one of the Main Dining Rooms (MDR) or Cabanas buffet (on the pool deck #9 aft). It will be open til nearly (or) 3 pm.
You are toting/ pulling around any carryon luggage you brought, until
Rooms ready ~ 2 pm. (if you board late, your room may be ready)
Room key (KTTW card) will be outside your cabin door in a zip- closed envelope.
Kids? There’s an Open House / Sign-Up sometime (we don’t travel with kids)
Spa Open House - they have a few treatment specials for boarding day. Other specials usually on port days, announced throughout the week. Drawing for gift at some point
The pool is usually open during lunch.

Muster Drill - everything closes. Everyone must report to designated location at specified time. Information for location is on the Disney app once at port / on ship. Letter designation for location is on your KTTW card and back of cabin door. You do not even take life jacket with you. Just show up with your room key and listen to instructions.

First dinner seating is often 5:45 or 6 pm. first showtime is about 15 minutes later. You can go to any show seating. No reservations. Usually not completely full.

There might be a free walking tour of the ship held before you can get to it.

(An Alaskan cruise is my favorite cruise. I have only done it on Disney once, in my early days of cruising, but several more times in other cruise lines.)

Excursions do get cancelled, mainly because of weather. If you can appreciate being in Alaska rather than anticipating / hanging your dreams on specific activities, it can go better for you. And weather is variable from day to day / week to week.

It is okay to vent here. Many of us have gone through what you are experiencing. But keep on cruising - and often with Disney. Some people find out they are not cruisers. Or not Disney cruisers. Or not colder-weather cruisers.

I am taking my first Disney cruise to Alaska at the end of June. I have run into nothing but frustration when dealing with registering for excursions and boarding time. I just can fathom how Disney has done this for 25 years and still not work out the "kinks". The night I was to register for excursions, the site was down for my part of the US. We didn't get the excursion we had our heart set on. Then in trying to book a boarding time, I couldn't get on. I kept refreshing and refreshing for over an hour. No luck. Finally the next day, I was able to get on, fill the necessary info on each of us traveling (2 adults that live in different States), which wasn't easy. We got a late boarding time, of course. Much later than we'd planned. I paid over $8gs months ago for this once in a lifetime cruise. And am not impressed so far. I've call costumer service after each incident but no solution was offered. Sure hoping the cruise is better than the service I've gotten so far.
It is definitely a little (lot) stressful and can be frustrating. This is sadly something we “bake in” now to our cruises. I think people here and others on the board can probably offer great non DCL excursion options that will be as good or better and cheaper. I know our best snorkeling excursion out of maybe 6 was non-Disney and much smaller group which we loved. Again found it after Disney excursions booked and we searched this board and people gave helpful options. In the end you have to weigh all pros and cons. I have sailed on Princess, NCL, RC and Disney is by far my favorite. So the extra cost and some foibles (you will know after your first or read on boards) will have to be weighed in. But once I get on a Disney ship my happiness level kicks up many notches and generate stays there until end of my last cruise day. Some things I would also note to prepare:
1. Stores open at a certain time after port. If you have heart set on a certain spirit jersey or Alaska items may want to line up early. Shopping can be intense and they can sell out and sell out of sizes. If you don’t care would just wait
2. If getting very good seats for Broadway shows are important go early as front middle seats go fast. But we like to sit up a little higher abs honestly not too many “bad” seats.
3. Cabanas can be hectic just be prepared for main lunch times to be busy. We prefer dining rooms for breakfast and lunch too unless we are grabbing quick meals. Also remember room service is free just tip for delivery.
4. Any big events in atrium or on deck can be busy so go early to grab good spot.
5. Character meets also have lines. So if you have heart set on certain ones go early so lines aren’t as long. We also “zag” while everyone zigs so try and do alternate times when people may be on excursions or doing bingo etc.
6. Best advice for first time that everyone gives: don’t try to do everything. It’s your vacation. Relax. Enjoy the views, the cast members are pretty awesome, smiles abound. Soak it all in.
Have a great trip!

Last edited:
True , and agree , however those other cruise lines charge you at time of booking as well
They do, but they allow you to cancel up to 48 hours before the port day. At least Royal does. DCL charges your card the minute you board and you can't cancel or change anything.

They do, but they allow you to cancel up to 48 hours before the port day. At least Royal does. DCL charges your card the minute you board and you can't cancel or change anything.
That’s incorrect , you have 72 hours to cancel prior on DCL. Don’t misplace your pool towel on Royal 😂

That’s incorrect , you have 72 hours to cancel prior on DCL. Don’t misplace your pool towel on Royal 😂
You can cancel your excursions once onboard? I've been told no. It wasn't meant to be tit for tat between cruise lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter