New to Disney World

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by audrianna890, Sep 16, 2018.

1. audrianna890

audrianna890 Even miracles take a little time...

Hi there! My family and I are looking at a trip Halloween week to Disney World. I am SO overwhelmed! Lol We're Disneyland people. I can tell you how to get anywhere at the DLR resort. I can explain all the nitty gritty details. Disney World? My brain is getting set to explode.

I've done research, I've read stuff - but it's just not coming together for me. Mostly because a member of my party will absolutely need an ECV. That little detail has thrown me, in terms of which hotel to pick for easiest transportation access that also has rooms big enough for us, at a price that is reasonable to us. I was looking heavily at Saratoga Springs, but the only transportation to the parks is bus (if I'm understand correctly) - the ferry goes only to Disney Springs. From what I've read, the handicap accessible busses are few and far between and requesting one can mean waiting a couple of hours for it to show up.

Please help me. Lol

2. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

All buses are setup to handle ECV's. When you get to the bus depot, there will be a section by the curb with a handicap symbol and that is where you will lineup. The buses always load ECV's and wheel chairs (with their family) first. This is the same at every resort and also when leaving all the parks.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. kappyfamily

kappyfamily DIS Veteran

Do you have specific questions? Post them, and I’m sure a lot of us can help you out!

Karen46, audrianna890 and need2travel like this.
  5. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Also take a look at our disABILITIES board, the good folks there can give you all kinds of tips on planning for a trip with an ECV.

Hopefully and audrianna890 like this.
  6. kenthanson

kenthanson Mouseketeer

Honestly having a ecv might help you get on a bus faster if the ecv spot on the bus is not taken become then they will load you first.

audrianna890 likes this.
  7. Skippyboo

Skippyboo Mouseketeer

OP, Halloween this year or a future year?

audrianna890 likes this.
  8. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

This is a double edged sword though, becuase if the spots are already filled, or if there are folks in front of you, you wait until the next bus. WHile I alwasy encourage people who need an ECV to rent one and use it, I never tell them it will be an advantage for access to transportation, attractions or anything else. It generally can be a detriment, but if you need one to fully enjoy the trip, it is best to use one.

Hopefully and audrianna890 like this.
  9. audrianna890

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Honestly, my biggest questions were regarding the transportation. Disneyland is easy. You just walk it. For Disney World, I thought, "Eh. We'll just walk it." Yeah. 6 miles to a park? No. I know some people are probably going to think we're crazy, going with very little planning and/or scheduling everything to a 't'. I know a lot about it is different from Disneyland. We're just going to go with the mindset of going and doing what we can so we can get a feel for it.

This year. It was somewhat a last minute decision as a birthday surprise for my mom from my dad. We're keeping it a secret.

10. audrianna890

I'll keep that in mind. It's my mom that is going to be using her. Her knees are horrible and she doesn't qualify for knee replacements because of other health issues. So it's definitely necessary, but I agree that it can be a detriment.

11. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

Many buses have room for more than one ECV. Any resort will allow you to go from there to the parks without much trouble. Disney does a really good job of making itself accessible to everyone. There are accessible rooms as well in all resort categories. I have will had to use an ECV on a couple of trips and stayed in both an All Star room as well as at POFQ and had no problems either at the resort or on the buses. It IS better not to have to use an ECV, but if you do, WDW is a great place that will make it as easy for you as possible.

If you are looking at Halloween this year, you may need to get busy booking quickly as resort availability may be a bigger concern at this point.

12. Skippyboo

Skippyboo Mouseketeer

Since you are going this year, you will want to book your FP asap. Onsite the FP window, is 60 days out so that window is already open. The off site window is 30 days so you are going to hit that soon. So you want to have your room and tickets booked before the 30 days windows and then immediately after booking do your 3 Fast Passes for each day.

You also should book any table service ADRs that you are interested in. You can do that now without any room or tickets. If you plan on going to the Halloween party on Halloween night you probably want to buy those tickets now.

Babsy and audrianna890 like this.
  13. audrianna890

New question: Do the resort hotels have pack and plays available to request?

14. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I think that as long as you manage your expectations yiu wil lhave a great time. Please stop by the DISabilities forum. Those good folks can give you a lot of help in terms of navigating WDW with a scooter, and will have advice where to rent one, and all that goes into that. My friend used Buena Vista I think, and the scooter was deleivered right to the resort, and when we were ready to leave, ee just left it with Bell Services for pick up. Easy Peasy.

Have fun!

audrianna890 likes this.
  15. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

Yup.

audrianna890 likes this.
  16. kappyfamily

kappyfamily DIS Veteran

Being an Oregonian and west coast/Disneyland gal, the first time I went to WDW it blew my mind. Just completely different then DL. I love it though! Just know going into it it’s a very different feel and just super huge and spread out vacation. They do a great job with the transportation though. Just take a break in the middle of the day and you should be good! Let us know if any other questions pop up!

audrianna890 likes this.
  17. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

It's not really a ferry to Disney Springs from Saratoga Springs. Just a boat that you can roll the ECV onto. But you can also just walk over from SSR since there is a bridge that takes you there. Each bus will have at least two, maybe three spots to park an ECV. The ECV will be loaded from the back of the bus, not the front. I used an ECV at OKW and never had to wait for a second bus.

Make sure you buy your Halloween party tickets as soon as you get your lodging booked if you plan to go to the party. They could sell out before you get there.

audrianna890 likes this.
  18. audrianna890

We are all booked - flights, room, and Halloween party tickets! We'll be at Disneyland on Monday so we'll be upgrading our DL annual passes to the Premier (it's just as expensive for us to do that as park hoppers, and we'll be able to utilize discounts), and then I can do FP+ before that 30 day window opens to non-resort visitors. I was able to book FP for the whole date of the Halloween party we booked, so that day is done! We've booked meals and even managed to score a Cinderella's Royal Table reservation for the day we're setting aside as my daughter's 5th birthday celebration day (her birthday is a few days after we return).

There is one thing that we can't figure out. There seems to be very few breakfast options in the Magic Kingdom, especially counter service. At DL, we're used to there being quite a few options, which all have pretty extensive breakfast menus. Is that just how it is, or are we missing something?

Thank you again for all the great responses! It is helping tremendously!

19. Skippyboo

Skippyboo Mouseketeer

Be Our Guest has breakfast- it’s a Quick Service you need ADR. There is a Starbucks inside MK with pastry. Sleepy Hallow has waffles. I think most people probably pick up something at their resort.

dansdad likes this.
  20. kappyfamily

kappyfamily DIS Veteran

Double post

21. kappyfamily

kappyfamily DIS Veteran

we end up just packing in our carry on bags granola bars and those to go cereal in a bowls and then just buy a couple small milks at the resort. Will that maybe work for your MK days? We also do an early lunch at 11 to miss the noon lunch crowds.

audrianna890 likes this.