New to camping, need advice

jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
Hey Folks
We have tossed around the idea of buying an RV or travel trailer. I think I have narrowed down to getting a travel trailer and just have some questions. I have been camping in tents before, but this would be a new one for me. And I dont feel uncomfortable pulling one, driven dump trucks and trailers with backhoes many times, and hauled a travel trailer on I 40 for over 200 miles for my BIL. But I dont mind advice on this either, never too old to learn something new!
1. Any particular brands you prefer?
2. There will be most likely 3 of us camping, me, my wife and son who is 28 now. Any advice on length, style of trailer trailer, etc.?
3. How soon ahead do we need to book FW for Oct, early Dec and March or May?
Thanks for any advice given!

Tell us what you have to tow with first. What make, model, engine size, etc. of truck. Towing weight limit.

That will help us.

Bama Ed

PS - :welcome: to the DIS Camping Board

Hey Folks
We have tossed around the idea of buying an RV or travel trailer. I think I have narrowed down to getting a travel trailer and just have some questions. I have been camping in tents before, but this would be a new one for me. And I dont feel uncomfortable pulling one, driven dump trucks and trailers with backhoes many times, and hauled a travel trailer on I 40 for over 200 miles for my BIL. But I dont mind advice on this either, never too old to learn something new!
1. Any particular brands you prefer?
2. There will be most likely 3 of us camping, me, my wife and son who is 28 now. Any advice on length, style of trailer trailer, etc.?
I don't know how good they are in the humid Florida heat, but I would question the travel trailers that have the canvas side pull out sleeping areas. I've never had one as we have a Class A motorhome but that's just the thought that goes through my mind that might need feedback about from others.

Tell us what you have to tow with first. What make, model, engine size, etc. of truck. Towing weight limit.

That will help us.

Bama Ed

PS - :welcome: to the DIS Camping Boar

Right now we have a Chevy Silverado but we will be upgrading to another truck once we purchase at TT(or decide which one suits our needs). So right now I'm just fishing for answers. We are probably a couple years away from making a purchase, but I like doing my homework early:goodvibes

100% this. Also, consider renting one before shelling out $$$.
My DW always has wanted a RV or TT forever, me on the other hand see myself as Robin Williams character in RV. So I have denied wanting one for a long time. But as I age, I see myself less in hotels these days and more out in the camping world. I grew up on a farm, am outdoors with work a lot, still to this day. So for me roughing it meant staying at a Motel 6. I had enough of roughing it at work, then coming home to tend to the mass acreage of land and gardens we had planted. But at 58 yrs old, I'm seeing things in a different light. So I'm mellowing out to the thoughts of camping as I age.

Go to a rv show. Go in a ton of units. Look at slide out location, bathroom placement (can you access the bathroom if slides are in?) sleeping surfaces, is the “master”bedroom private? on a travel trailer is there an electric jack, a place for a generator… Look at tons of units, lots of good walkthroughs on YouTube- enjoy the process- make an informed decision ( I’ve owned everything from a pop-up to a Class A, currently in a 25’ lance travel trailer)

We started with a used 97’ JayCo pop-up and liked it a lot. Was great for camping with the kids when they were young. The AC was fantastic. Easy to tow. The canvas/windows are easy to replace. And towed it cross country for a move. We upgraded to a 40’ trailer and it was meh. What destroyed it for us was towing it cross country when we moved. It was just too big and not fun on mountain passes! But having the space was great being a family of 6. It ended up totaled and we did not cry. A few years later we purchased camp property and bought a Coleman with bunkhouse 40’ trailer. while tricky to navigate at times we really like it. We also purchased another (used) pop up, and it’s huge. We’re towing it to the Fort right now.

I agree to tour a variety before you buy. Look at features, design, size. Have an idea of what specifically are you looking for. Where will you be using it and can the roads easily accommodate it?

I don't know how good they are in the humid Florida heat, but I would question the travel trailers that have the canvas side pull out sleeping areas. I've never had one as we have a Class A motorhome but that's just the thought that goes through my mind that might need feedback about from others.
I have a hybrid TT, we love it!! We live in the Tampa, FL area and camp exclusively in Florida.

The layout of a hybrid gives you much more floor space since the beds don't take up any of the interior space.

We use thermal covers over the bunk ends, set the thermostat at about 68 degrees and close the bunk end curtains during the day. I monitor the temps inside the camper, and during the day, in early September, at Fort Wilderness, we are usually at 68-69 degrees inside the main area of the camper. The bunk ends are warmer than that, but we aren't in them during the day anyway. At night, they cool down very quickly.

Hybrids have come a long way with amenities...ours has an outdoor kitchen, an electric fireplace inside, full bathroom/shower and tons of storage space.

You're in NC so kind of in the middle but since you're in the just lookie see stage I'd also recommend a show. I say in the middle as there's huge shows in both Tampa, FL. And Hershey PA. Two shows you can see just about everything you can tow or drive. Also both places are located where there's other fun stuff to do. They can be overwhelming with all there is to offer, but plan on going for a couple days and you can narrow it down some. Like @bama_ed said, it would also let you see what you might end up needing for a tow vehicle.
We went to the show in Tampa a couple of years ago just for fun. Pretty amazing what's there.

Lots of great advice so far. I've owned 5 different "campers" in the last 20+ years. We rented popups before buying our first camper in 2000, a small hybrid. I'll add a couple of things. While doing your "research", you'll discover a lot of similarities within the same price range. Look for the things that make one stand out from the others. Sometimes it is unique storage or creative places to sleep. Things like insulated/heated tanks and extra insulation in the walls (important if you intend to camp in cold weather), insulated double pane or frameless windows, or a residential refrigerator instead of an "RV" frige (12 volt/gas/electric). Residential friges cool much faster and will give you a lot more room, but require extra batteries and an inverter and don't allow boondocking for long without a generator. Look for the "nice to have" things you may not have thought about. Like USB ports in key locations to charge your devices or built in night stands on both sides of the bed. I added them to my last 5er for a drink holder and my CPAP machine. A "fireplace". My last 5th wheel had one and I thought it was silly, but it is actually an electric heater that was all I needed to warm a 42ft 5er down to about 50 degrees. Great on saving propane. My motorhome doesn't have one and I miss it. Check out the bedding. Generally the mattresses are terrible. Every camper I've had I added foam toppers until my current coach. It came with a Sleep Number bed. It is amazing. I bought one for the house.

Look at tank size. It will vary considerably between brands and price ranges. My first TT had 60 gallon of gray, 80 gallon black, but only 30 gallon fresh. I never ever filled the black tank, but ran out of fresh water often. I carried extra water jugs with that trailer. My next trailer had a 68 gallon fresh tank.

While doing your homework, take notes and pictures. You will look at so many, particularly at the huge shows (Hershey/Tampa) that they will all start to look the same and you'll forget which ones had the "really cool stuff".

As for the different options (popup, hybrid, tt, 5er, motorhome- I have owned or rented each). Popups are easiest to tow, but take quite a bit of setup and feel more like "camping" (think, step up from tents). Hybrids will tow like a small TT, but do require a little more setup and still have the canvas to deal with in extreme weather. Like ProudMom said, there are ways to address the canvas insulation and they are a good option if you have a smaller tow vehicle or like the popup camping feel with some solid walls around you. TTs are really nice now. They are nice with solid walls all around and come with a lot of high end options you used to only get in a 5er of MH. They are usually one level, unlike 5ers that will have steps up the the area above the hitch. TTs won't have as much storage as a 5er, but you can tow them with a SUV or have the whole pick up bed open for storage.

5ers are nice for overall interior size compared to most TTs and they generally have much more "basement" storage. They require a truck (obviously) and unless it is a small 5er, will require at least a 3/4 ton, likely a 1 ton truck. The bigger 5ers (my last was 42ft) really do best with a dually diesel. ($$).

Motorhomes take things to a different level on price and options and I won't go into all those unless that is what you are really thinking about. There are 2 general types; gasser and diesel. Gassers are much cheaper, smaller, noisier and don't come with the same level of ammenities you can get in a a diesel pusher, but a DP also starts at least $100,000 more than a gasser. Some are hundreds of thousands more.

Get an idea what price range you want to be in and keep track of the things you really want vs the nice to have or "could care less" things. That will help narrow it down. Then look at the overall fit and finish.

Lastly, consider buying used. Brand new RVs (regardless of price range) will have things that need to be corrected. Even a good dealer may take weeks or months to do the warranty things. A used 1-3 year old camper has likely had all those things address, will still look like new and be much less than a new one.

On price, a good rule of thumb on a brand new one is 30% off of the MSRP. This still gives the dealer a profit, but you don't feel like you were gouged. Covid and the surge in new RV'ers has messed with prices, but the recent increase in interest rates has cooled that some. Use THIS web site to check dealer cost. I think it is still reliable. I used it when I bought my last 5er (new) in 2016. The prices listed here matched the MSRP and invoice on the trailer I bought. It gives you a good idea on a price to shoot for.

j

We started with a VW Vanagon, but that stopped working when I stated that I needed a toilet that flushed. Since then we've had 2 TTs, a 26" that was my aunt's and our current 31" TT.

With our first TT, it really wasn't 'set up' for a family but as a rule our sons (pre- and teen age at that time) preferred to sleep in a tent outside. If it was cold outside one slept on the couch the other on the floor. We made it work. Our current TT has bunks but now that our sons are adults they're used as extra storage space. We sort of wish we'd given more thought to having a good hideabed, not a scissor couch, for the boys (who were late teens when we got the new TT) rather than bunks since they only traveled with us in the new TT for about 5 years, until they decided they'd rather stay home or with friends. Not doing the bunks would have given us much better floorplan options for just DH and I. So, consider this when including your son with you IF the time may come when he prefers not to go RVing.

As far as your tow vehicle, I don't 'tow', but DH always stresses that towing a TT with an 'underpowered' truck is not only uneconomical, it is downright dangerous. So just research your potential vehicle with the weight (loaded and unloaded) of your TT in mind. And DON'T trust the salesman, do your own research!

Last edited:
I guess this is the point where we tell where we are today and why. Might be helpful in making a decision as well.
I always forget that I did a stint in a tent as well. Not by choice necessarily but it allowed us to go places and have something of a roof over our heads.
So fast forward 30 years. We thought about a condo in FL. but for several reasons we discarded that idea for something with wheels to travel in and still have the comfort we wanted after retiring. That decision made we moved into the what were our (my) requirements. My wife left that up to me as she wanted a nice bed, bathroom, shower and kitchen. Oh, her other comments were she wasn't going to drive or empty the black tank.
First, like you we didn't plan on buying anything for 5 years or so.... ha, that didn't go as planned!
Everyone is different. I wanted to simply pull into a site and push a button without getting out. If it was more than an overnight, then hook up electric, sewer water and yeah, cable. That decided we picked a class A.
Knowing what we wanted to do, which class A. Lots of choices there.
We wanted to travel the country which would eventually require climbing the Rockies pulling a vehicle. For that, I wanted the biggest diesel with the most torques horses I could find. I wanted a tag axle for added weight capacity and stability. I didn't want to mess with DEF so that meant an older coach, pre 2008. Lots of basement storage as well.
I had my list so we wait for retirement, in about 5 years. We'll that didn't last a month. I saw a coach sitting on the lot of our small local Chevy dealer. It belonged to the owner who had died the year before. His children and wife wanted to sell. When I saw it they had just dropped the price $67k. It checked all the boxes and was a real unicorn for the right price. So we bought it. So much for the 5 year plan. That was 2014 and we've enjoyed it ever since!
Lastly, we do not camp. I don't pretend I camp. When we stay somewhere I want a flat paved site, lots of amenities and close to places within easy driving distance we want to see using our toad, just like a hotel. Hopefully this wasn't too boring but just wanted to point out it helps to know what you want to use it for.

As others have said, research is your friend. Go to local dealers, go to shows (Atlanta usually has one or two, closer to you than Tampa) Join some forums. Utube is your friend. It took us a year to find what we wanted. We went to every dealer in the Atlanta and then north Georgia area more than once. We made lists. We watched all the Utube videos, good and bad. We learned what not to get and what we wanted. We narrowed it down to type, then we narrowed it down to a couple of brands and floorplans. We ended up with a 35 foot fifth wheel and a Ram dually. Both brand new and paid cash for both. There are advantages and disadvantages to every kind out there.

Ok , so I had a pop up and now a TT. Both are good, depending on what you like need. As for the TV, do not max out your tow capacity. So for a full size truck, stick to something smaller. If your truck can to 8000 lbs, stick to around 6000 max. Ok thats said, and you will most likely run out of capacity in the TV before reaching the max tow capacity. For a familly of three, look for a larger bed for you 2 and a bunk with a larger bed for the 3rd adult. If looking at used stuff, and I did, make sure you check it out throughly. As others said, the style and configuration you want will be out there, you need to see what you like. What works for one may not work for you. And to book the fort, its way in advance. As is most places now a days. Gone is the pulling into a campsite and getting an open spot. Most places tou need to reserve ahead of time. Not all, but most. And thats especially true if they are in demand places.

Hey Folks

I'm going to offer my two cents on question #3.

October can still be a warm humid time to be in Florida. But there are 3 time frames for booking in October (besides weekends in general). I will explain.

A. The Columbus Day weekend time generally gets more visitors due to the holiday. More demand sooner.
B. Halloween time at the Fort usually books up as soon as booking for that time window opens. Halloween is a busy, great time at the Fort. (Very high demand early)
C. Any time not Columbus day or Halloween related. (weekdays and less demand)

Another thing to tell you about booking a stay at the Fort (or any resort). Say you want a stay with IN on Tuesday and OUT on Friday (3 nights). You enter that in the Disney resort booking tool and it might show no campsites available. However, if you enter a WEEK'S stay to search for, say Tuesday-Tuesday, you might get sites available. Why didn't those show up for the shorter time request? Because Disney wants to force you into the LONGEST stay po$$ible. And they make it difficult to "book longer now and then drop unwanted nights later. They might force you to CANCEL the entire original reservation and then try to rebook shorter. When even after you cancel, nothing will show up for the shorter request. If you can position unwanted days/nights at the END of your reservation, there is a way to get those gone. But at the front or middle, HA!

Early December USED to be the slow time but no more and weekends and such still apply. The Fort and the parks are decorated nicely for Christmas but rates are higher through the month and go higher still through New Years. Book early, grit your teeth, and pay for the dates you want. Christmas week past New Years are the most expensive times at the Fort (over $300 a night for the biggest, closest campsites).

March is the 2nd most expensive time (through the Easter week which moves year-to-year). Families travelling on spring break through schools with Easter break is high visitor demand, high prices, meaning book early and pay alot. Parks are crowded. Weather is generally wonderful though for camping at the Fort.

May is a slow time (after Easter, not summer school break yet if you go NOT around Memorial Day weekend). A little warmer, a little more humid, but less crowded, less demand, lower prices but still battling the weekend crowd. (Many of which just camp and don't even GO to the parks).

General advice is book as early as you can for the dates you could be FORCED to keep. Smaller trailers can fit fine in the Full (cheaper) campsites. If you get a YUGE trailer, you might end up booking the longer/wider/more expensive Premium sites. And the Premium sites closest to the center of the Fort (pool, movie ring, campfire, fishing pond, Meadow Trading Post, coffee and soda refills) are even MORE costly as "Premium Meadow" sites. Same site as regular Premium but more costly because of proximity to the central Meadow area.

Folks can correct me but that's my two cents.

Bama Ed

PS - Disney has changed the rules for booking advance resort reservations now. The online booking tool was usually updated in the June timeframe for the next year as far out as 500 days for arrivals. But they also would accept a phone reservation for arrivals 500 days out BEFORE the June online release for "room only" (not packages). But as of this year, phoning early is OUT. EVERYBODY must wait for the online tool availability which opens May 31, 2023. So NOBODY has a room only reservation currently for an arrival after January 1, 2024. Nobody. Supposedly we will be able to book on May 31, 2023 all the way out to the end of 2024 calendar year. It will be a mad race online sure to cripple the Disney IT system. Grab some popcorn in a couple days and watch us all in anguish for our 2024 dates. popcorn::

Last edited:
WOW! I got up this AM, grabbed coffee and Im amazed at the replies! Thanks to all of you folks for so much info. My mind has been racing all day yesterday looking at TTs and now Class A as well. Brand new is out of my range, but I am seeing a few nice, used, for sale by owner models in NC. It will still be awhile before we make the move to buy. I have a neighbor who has a Class A and has camped for years and I will probably recruit his help in going with me when the time comes to get serious, so I have an extra set of experienced eyes with me.

Y'all mentioned knowing what features really grab our attn., up front, we need an extra bed space for a 29 yr old who works hard in construction, so a pullout or table bed might not be his thing. And a good size fridge will be a nice feature too. At WDW, we really like eating at the restaurants, so cooking every meal wouldn't be a thing for us, but I can see us being remote at other places in the USA and needing groceries to fill the fridge.

I didnt want to mention this, not that it matters, but we are current DVCers, we own most points at Villas at Wilderness Lodge, and used to love walking or catching the Steamboat Willie boats in the AM to Trails End(so sad that it is no more)and afterwards we would walk a few steps to see the Halloween or Christmas decorations, and I must say, some of y'all rival WDW decorations! As our DVC dates wind down(2042)I cant see myself re-investing in it, not at todays prices, plus, I will be be in my 70s. But having a TT or Class A will allow us to continue returning many years down the road, and we can take our grandkids with us(they can take the table or couch, or floor if need be. Retirement hasn't been on my radar until recently as my body is wearing down, and my mind is shot running a construction business. I love being around other people, so camping would allow me to meet others with like minds, swap stories, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but you folks have been so kind to indulge me, I felt the need to go a bit deeper into our story because your insight as been way valuable

One thing I think would be a good idea (and someone upthread suggested it) would be to rent a TT (or motorhome), maybe even a few times, to get the 'feel' of 'RV living'. It can be close quarters, set up/break down isn't always as simple or fast as it may look to an 'outsider', and prep and packing can get 'particular'. There's also a lot of yearly routine inspections and maintenance to be carried out, especially at the beginning and end of your 'camping season', unless you can afford to pay to get it all done. Not to mention the close calls with obstacles (and divorce court) caused during my 'assisting' DH in backing in and squaring up in campsites😜. And don't let's even start in on black tanks!😫

I'm just cautioning because we had friends who bought a small TT and after a couple of seasons the DH was ready to throw in the towel. He said that watching us he thought it was just 'hook up and go' and that it was all 'too much work'. He didn't realize all the 'background work' that goes into having any type of RV.

Don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, and you may already know all this. We love RVing and the work involved is small potatoes when compared to the fun and adventures we have.

I'm just cautioning because we had friends who bought a small TT and after a couple of seasons the DH was ready to throw in the towel. He said that watching us he thought it was just 'hook up and go' and that it was all 'too much work'. He didn't realize all the 'background work' that goes into having any type of RV.

Don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, and you may already know all this. We love RVing and the work involved is small potatoes when compared to the fun and adventures we have.
A good friend of mine thought there were "helpers" when you got to a campground. They'd magically appear, back you in, hook you up.... LOL.. nope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter