We haven't been yet, and this is not making me excited either. We go to Disneyland to get away from technology. My kids only bring their phones for emergencies and I only use mine for photos and MP.
I wouldn't worry too much about this. We don't game and only use our phones to check the app occasionally or for photos when we're in GE. Haven't yet felt left out or bored or not-immersed or anything like that. SWGE is just as fun without the phones. You'll have a great time!
Some visitors will be 'gamers' and some will be 'observers/tourists.' Some from both groups will be satisfied. Some from both groups will leave wanting more or something different. Just the way it is?

I quickly adopted the 'gamer' position which has caused disappointment in multiple areas:
  • I'm dependent on the app and my phone. As you've stated, I prefer to enjoy Disneyland w/out technology and am now coerced to become more focused on the phone than ever before.
  • I'm frustrated by the app quality. It crashes frequently; I've lost earned titles, maps, weapons, schematics, etc. Just the way it is.
  • I'm really frustrated trying to read the app on my phone both for focus (old eyes) and for brightness (might also be an old eye concern). To use the app, I must find a shady spot to stand (shade for seeing the screen not for cooling!) and must put on my reading glasses. FWIW, I don't enjoy walking while wearing my reading glasses (distortion) so end up playing the human game: glasses on; glasses off; where did I put my glasses?; have you seen my glasses? What? they are on top my head, again?!?!? lol
  • But still I play it because I find it addictive. I come home still playing it in my mind and trying to find clues to better performance. I get the "jitters" of an all-night coding session from my early 20's for the following 2 days. Quite strange ... haven't felt those jitters in years but am drawn to them. Weirdly addictive.
  • And the struggle with how to ride MFSR w/out a full crew of like-minded gamers? I've ridden with 'observers' and felt great frustration when they just 'sat in the seat' and failed to participate. Ugh. Going forward, we intend to talk with people in the lines with us and work our way backwards through the line queue to form our crew before boarding. Or, use the single-rider queue to simply "take our chances" assuming a bad ride but the chance to earn a few credits.
Yep, I've adopted the gamer role. I like it. I'm glad to have both an AP and timeshare to feed the addiction.

We haven't been yet, and this is not making me excited either. We go to Disneyland to get away from technology. My kids only bring their phones for emergencies and I only use mine for photos and MP.
Don't worry about it. If it makes you feel any better I love SWGE and haven't used the Play app for it at all. I feel immersed without it. I never use the play app anywhere in DL since it drains my battery and it's just too much going on to focus on the games, plus the app with maxpass, and taking pics etc.

I think Disney created SWLand with their own planet instead of place(s) known and beloved by fans to distance them from George Lucas Star Wars.

Whoa. I never thought of that, but your idea makes so much sense!! Especially since Disney announced they are taking a SW film break after IX is released. Maybe Batuu is the new SW model of the future...as Disney sees it anyway.

I figured they wanted to focus on the SW stories that they created as well. I'm a big fan of most of the new characters they created for the ST, personally.

After so so so long of waiting... we will finally be on Batuu on Wednesday. Now that it’s close enough to ask I have a few questions;

Our entire group of four adults have reservations for Savi’s Workshop and we have two kids that will be observing. I haven’t watched any videos of the experience because I don’t want to spoil the surprise but I imagine it’s entertaining enough for those that come along to watch? Our two kids in the group are old enough (9 and 8) to understand this is for the adults (I know, we’re the worst right haha!) and they’ll get their droids later.

Does the queue for SR constantly move? I could qualify for a DAS if I go through the trouble but usually I’m fine just using MaxPass. As long as it’s constantly moving, my legs don’t bother me too much. But if the line is the type we’re you're at a standstill for long periods of time then I’ll have issues.

What exactly is the Batuu Bits made out of at Oga’s? On the menu it just says ‘snack mix’- we have some picky eaters so guidance would be great.

What do you typically do with your droid if you build it early in the day? Debating if I’ll just bring a tote to carry it in or just rent a locker so we can grab it at the end of the day. How durable are they?

After so so so long of waiting... we will finally be on Batuu on Wednesday. Now that it’s close enough to ask I have a few questions;

Our entire group of four adults have reservations for Savi’s Workshop and we have two kids that will be observing. I haven’t watched any videos of the experience because I don’t want to spoil the surprise but I imagine it’s entertaining enough for those that come along to watch? Our two kids in the group are old enough (9 and 8) to understand this is for the adults (I know, we’re the worst right haha!) and they’ll get their droids later.

Does the queue for SR constantly move? I could qualify for a DAS if I go through the trouble but usually I’m fine just using MaxPass. As long as it’s constantly moving, my legs don’t bother me too much. But if the line is the type we’re you're at a standstill for long periods of time then I’ll have issues.

What exactly is the Batuu Bits made out of at Oga’s? On the menu it just says ‘snack mix’- we have some picky eaters so guidance would be great.

What do you typically do with your droid if you build it early in the day? Debating if I’ll just bring a tote to carry it in or just rent a locker so we can grab it at the end of the day. How durable are they?
1. Haven’t done Savi’s, but I know plenty of kids who have watched. At those ages, you should be fine.
2. It moves pretty continuously since there’s no FP, but there are some pauses as you get closer because they let a group into the room with Hondo, he does the preshow, then they clear and let the next group in. So you’ll stand in between the groups going in, if that makes sense.
3. It’s kind of similar to an Asian cracker mix I get from Whole Foods, with some sweet cookie things thrown in. Pretty spicy at points. Not very picky-eater friendly. They’ve also been out of it three times when I’ve been there.
4. We have a backpack for ours because we got it before they sold out, so we carry it. I’d probably get a locker if I was there all day - once you’re outside SWGE, there’s no reason to have it out. Our R2 is durable and could survive being tossed around in a tote all day, but I’d get annoyed with it!

1. Haven’t done Savi’s, but I know plenty of kids who have watched. At those ages, you should be fine.
2. It moves pretty continuously since there’s no FP, but there are some pauses as you get closer because they let a group into the room with Hondo, he does the preshow, then they clear and let the next group in. So you’ll stand in between the groups going in, if that makes sense.
3. It’s kind of similar to an Asian cracker mix I get from Whole Foods, with some sweet cookie things thrown in. Pretty spicy at points. Not very picky-eater friendly. They’ve also been out of it three times when I’ve been there.
4. We have a backpack for ours because we got it before they sold out, so we carry it. I’d probably get a locker if I was there all day - once you’re outside SWGE, there’s no reason to have it out. Our R2 is durable and could survive being tossed around in a tote all day, but I’d get annoyed with it!

Perfect, this told me everything I wanted to know! Thank you!

Whoa. I never thought of that, but your idea makes so much sense!! Especially since Disney announced they are taking a SW film break after IX is released. Maybe Batuu is the new SW model of the future...as Disney sees it anyway.

That is what I thought. They want to put a distance between the OG and the stuff they (Disney) puts out. This land seals it in my mind.

That is what I thought. They want to put a distance between the OG and the stuff they (Disney) puts out. This land seals it in my mind.
One of the pre-SWGE videos with the Imagineers actually talked about this, how they are “moving the story beyond the Skywalker Saga,” since that’s ended, etc... so I think that was very much the intention here. They’re trying to literally expand the universe.

For me, it works - I think the land is pretty incredible, and I honestly can’t relate to the comments from people who think the theme music should swell as you walk around the land, or who want to see Luke Skywalker M&Gs... but obviously some people feel otherwise. 🤷‍♀️

I see it much differently. Disney is actually trying really, really hard to associate SW almost exclusively with the imagery, feel and story beats of Lucas' original Star Wars. Specifically the first two SW films - the first which was directed by Lucas, and the second where he had clear creative control but a different director.

Just take a look at Batuu itself. All the design work has its basis in Lucas' original designs. The ships, the buildings, the Stormtroopers, even Kylo Ren himself owes the basics of his design to Lucas' Darth Vader.

Lucas himself moved SW beyond these design elements with the prequel trilogy, preferring to create a new look and feel. Disney wants very little to do with that, however.

So instead of moving beyond Lucas, I think Disney is actually going back to his original vision.

I see it much differently. Disney is actually trying really, really hard to associate SW almost exclusively with the imagery, feel and story beats of Lucas' original Star Wars. Specifically the first two SW films - the first which was directed by Lucas, and the second where he had clear creative control but a different director.

Just take a look at Batuu itself. All the design work has its basis in Lucas' original designs. The ships, the buildings, the Stormtroopers, even Kylo Ren himself owes the basics of his design to Lucas' Darth Vader.

Lucas himself moved SW beyond these design elements with the prequel trilogy, preferring to create a new look and feel. Disney wants very little to do with that, however.

So instead of moving beyond Lucas, I think Disney is actually going back to his original vision.

Well, yes, the new movies still need to feel like SW, so the Lucas elements are there, but what the previous posters are saying is, the land is directly comparable to the ST, created under Disney as the parent company.

Random update: A few months ago I mentioned that I had never seen a Star Wars movie. I have seen 2 prequels now lol. Although I've heard those aren't highly favored because they were made after the originals. When I go to the park now I understand when I see kids wearing pod racing helmets lol.

Random update: A few months ago I mentioned that I had never seen a Star Wars movie. I have seen 2 prequels now lol. Although I've heard those aren't highly favored because they were made after the originals. When I go to the park now I understand when I see kids wearing pod racing helmets lol.
So are you watching the movies in chronological order then?

Well, yes, the new movies still need to feel like SW, so the Lucas elements are there, but what the previous posters are saying is, the land is directly comparable to the ST, created under Disney as the parent company.

LOL I feel like we are talking in circles. Yes I most definitely agree that GE is all about the ST and I have pointed that out in the thread. What I am saying is that the ST is more beholden to Lucas than Disney would care to admit.

LOL I feel like we are talking in circles. Yes I most definitely agree that GE is all about the ST and I have pointed that out in the thread. What I am saying is that the ST is more beholden to Lucas than Disney would care to admit.
I don’t think they’re actually trying to distance themselves from Lucas; I think they are trying to branch out their brand for the sake of profitable future ventures. If people only care about the Skywalker clan, that’s pretty limiting to the long-term health of their investment. Nostalgia only goes so far, and eventually you need people to buy into your brand outside of their “favorites” (ahem, Marvel Phase 4). I think they can heavily reference the OT (through design, various characters/references, the Falcon) and still be making a clear attempt to move the fandom in a new direction.

How do you think it would have gone over had they built Universal's Harry Potter park all around the magical beasts movies since that was the "new" direction? That succeeded because people want to experience what they have dreamed about.

I don’t think they’re actually trying to distance themselves from Lucas; I think they are trying to branch out their brand for the sake of profitable future ventures. If people only care about the Skywalker clan, that’s pretty limiting to the long-term health of their investment. Nostalgia only goes so far, and eventually you need people to buy into your brand outside of their “favorites” (ahem, Marvel Phase 4). I think they can heavily reference the OT (through design, various characters/references, the Falcon) and still be making a clear attempt to move the fandom in a new direction.

This is how I've read Disney's actions with the Star Wars franchise as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter