New Question! Done DL, now what do I need to know about WDW from a DLer perspective?

Well, brenda1966's and jlmarr thanks for understanding my reasoning but it looks like we have been moved anyway. Do I sense a sudden change in the air? Oh well, I will take information any way I can get it! So, moving right along....
Found you near the bottom of page 3 - let me bump you back to page 1. ;)

Let me say that you owe it to yourself to visit some of the hotels while you're there. I'd recommend taking the boat from the MK landing over to the Fort Wilderness area and have a meal at the Trail's End buffet restaurant . That place is considered one of the best values on property, plus this will give you a look at Wilderness Lodge and the Fort Wilderness Campground. If you're interested you could hop on the FW internal bus system to have a look at the camp sites, RV pads, and cabins - it's a pleasant area away from the hustle & bustle.

Another hotel that is worth a look is the Animal Kingdom Lodge - it's a bit pricey I think, but the lobby and public areas are very nice to visit, as with Wilderness Lodge.

If you do stay onsite or off, this is a great year for discounts. What you did choose - I hope you didn't pay full price. There are LOTS of bargain ideas out there this year, esp. offsite. Beyond that, I personlly think it is way too early to get eh best deal on airfare, but I typically fly SWA, or at least outof an airport that has SWA - so the other airlines lower prices to compete when they release their fares.

Ah...you haven't been to WDW yet....You don't know about driving around WDW. Taking buses in WDW isn't like taking buses in the real world. Everyone on the WDW bus is on vacation, and the drivers are often part of the fun! Some folks prefer a combo of driving and buses, and some diehards do prefer offsite....but you'll learn after you see WDW. Maybe you'll remain a diehard offsiter too. Your house may be a bit of a drive to WDW - and then there is morning rush hour traffic in the Orlando area. Orlando is a pretty good sized city. You'll have fun dealing with that. Then you'll have to deal with parking (huge lots), pay for parking each day, and also the extra time that it may take to get from your car to the park. (Esp. MK) Oh, and someone has to be the designated driver (no cocktails). At CR, a really cool monorail whisks you directly to MK - or you can just walk over. The wait times are like typically under two minutes, you are at the park entrance in about five. Nobody hs to navigate confusing roads, no traffic, everyone can come and go as they please...Offsite - those teen boys you mention will either need their own transport - or they will have to come and go on your schedule. You mention the boys aren't patient - in many ways, they will have to be more patient with offsite then onsite transport.

Also, I'm not trying to knock your choices. You're doing what you think is best at this point. It's hard to know what WDW is like until you've been there. Hopefully, like everyone else - after you go once - you'll want to go back. On the flip, if you want suggestions, but come back saying you've already decided what you want, it's a bit confusing to know how to help. It sounds like maybe you are mostly just asking us to support your choices. DISers aren't great at that.

Well said.

So much good info in your post.:thumbsup2

What I loved most about WDW (vs my usual DL) is the amazing resorts. I've been to wonderful hotels but WDW resorts are truly special.

Best trivia that anyone ever told me to prepare first timers to WDW.

WDW is 47 square miles. It really is the size of a large city.

The main difference between DL (we live 45 minutes away and are annual passholders) and WDW (grew up going there) is IMMERSION. I know that the DL-way is to avoid staying onsite because its expensive and unnecessary with all those motels lining Harbor etc etc. blah blah blah. But honestly, woman, get a grip, :lmao: and book a WDW resort for AT LEAST part of your trip. The whole point is to arrive and leave everything to the Mouse. Leave the DL (little is good too) mentality at home. Its a very different experience.

WDW is HUGE. Its DL on steriods with alligators. Its a Nation-State with UN representation. Its a city. Its got its own currency: KTTW. Its about EMHs. And ADRs made 90 days ahead when you don't even know what you are doing and where you are going. Its about trying to figure out how many hours you can cut from MK to spend in AK and still make dinner at Epcot.

And its way more fun because its a complete vacation into itself.

*This message has been endorsed by me only.
I agree..and I even stay onsite at DLR because of the same reasons cited as a reason to stay onsite at WDW. When I'm there I want to be THERE. I'm returning to WDW next Jan after a 15 year gap..we just didn't like it much, but DH and I are going to do it alone and give it another shot. We'll probably mainly eat big lunches at the parks then dinner in our OKW room..I do want to do yachtsman Steakhouse for dinner though (we still remember that place as one of our all time favorite meals), and I'm thinking of the Fantasmic dinner thing one night.
I'm so clueless about WDW I'm very nervous about it also. EMH...are these at night or morning? What days? Who can go? The place is so HUGE and the buses and all..just daunting..

Stay on site, if you can.
The 3 orginal hotels, Contemporary, Poly, and GF all have direct monorail access to the transportation center. From here you walk to the MK.... Very fast to get to Epcot and MK.

Bus transportation sucks, its at least an hour to get anywhere... And you usually have to stop at whatever hotels are en route...

We stayed at the Poly, pricey but very nice. Watched the fireworks over the lake from the pool bar....

WHOO HOO! I am back on the DL section of the board! Please tell me this is not an April's fool joke!

That is a good Mom. You are doing this to satisfy your son.. I think you are wonderful. WDW is a great place. You would find out that there is no short of enjoyment.. Fun and entertainment Guaranteed..
Thank you for such a nice compliment! :lovestruc I do work hard at trying to be a good mom so when DS requested a trip to try WDW how could i refuse?

brenda1966, I am so glad to hear that someone understands just how bad a snorer can disrupt your trip! Ear plugs simply will not do the trick. The last trip we stayed in one room was a trip to Las Vegas. We were all totally exhausted at the end of the day, which only makes DH snore even louder! In the morning I was miserable from lack of sleep and he was defensive from me "insulting" him for being so loud. Ever since then we have always stayed in 2 rooms because a vacation is no time to be miserable and fighting.

I have heard from quite a few people that for them getting around in a car is what they prefer. If it were just me I would probably use the Disney transportation because I don't drive much but as long as I have a "chauffeur" I really don't care how we get around! We are doing some other things in the area and will have a car anyway so using it just makes sense to me.

Huff, thanks for giving a nice clarification of the type of food San Angel has. My kids are pretty hooked on the good old Tex-Mex we have here in Texas so I am not sure if they would be up for something really authentic. If it were Taco Bell they would be happy. Still.... I haven't ruled it out yet. That's the beauty of planning ahead. I have plenty of time to change my mind...several times!

Hi Sherry E! I'm back! It is good to be back among friends! No offense intended to all of the WDWers. Some of them, however, made me feel almost handicapped for having been to DL first. Refresh my memory.... have you been to WDW? Lord knows you could tell me everything I need to know about DL! This WDW planning is a whole new world...... I'm making some progress though. I narrowed down a few places that we will want to go for lunch. It's going to be interesting checking out the WDW phone lines when it gets time to make those ADRs.

nunzia, I imagine after being away 15 years it is almost like starting from scratch for you too! For me, it's like a major accomplishment when I make one decision! How about you? From what I have read EMHs take place on some mornings AND evenings. I think it's one hour in the morning and up to 3 at night. Apparently, days vary so the exact dates won't be known until the calendar comes out for the time you will be there. Daunting yes... but you will still be able to have a great time!

Alrighty, I've got a couple of questions today. Food again. I've been going over dining. Has anyone been to Tokyo Dining and Teppan Edo? Which would you recommend. I think the kids would enjoy the chef at the table but I would still prefer the one with the best food. Any reviews?

How about Hoop-De-Doo? We love Billy Hill at DL. Is this along those lines? How about the food?

Well, that's it this time but I am sure I will be back!

Marie, to answer your question, no, I have never been to WDW! So I am going to rely on you to provide a detailed account of your trip after it happens! I know that if and when I ever DO make it there, I would want to go during the holiday season as you are. I have to see the edible holiday displays at the different WDW hotels, and the Osborne (sp?) Family lights, and all the different holiday decorations from different countries around Epcot. I would have to wander around all the hotels and eat in as many of the restaurants as I could. I am dying to go on the Safari in AK. So you have to take on all these tasks for those of us who won't be able to go to WDW for a while and report back!

You will have to take a ton of memory cards with you to WDW so you can take endless pictures!! You may remember my camera died on my last DLR trip, so I got a new one (a Canon SD880 IS) which is arriving in two days. I HOPE it takes semi-decent night shots (some of them don't). At least I will have a working camera for the next time I go to DLR!

WHOO HOO! I am back on the DL section of the board! Please tell me this is not an April's fool joke!
Alrighty, I've got a couple of questions today. Food again. I've been going over dining. Has anyone been to Tokyo Dining and Teppan Edo? Which would you recommend. I think the kids would enjoy the chef at the table but I would still prefer the one with the best food. Any reviews?
Haven't dined at the Japan Pavillion, but I'll highly recommend the Biergarten at the Germany Pavillion. They have a very good buffet and a great show with a German "Oompah" band. They also serve a beverage called bier which the server said was very popular in Germany. We tried it and will say that it's an acquired taste, but the more we drank the better we liked it. ;)

We are the other way around ! We always go to WDW and this year are going to DL ! I am worried sick and have already altered my itinerary and wish I had altered it further by staying somewhere near Universal too but too late now .I didn't realise how far apart everything was there ! With WDW everything is within close driving proximity.With a family the villas you can rent are fantastic and I would do this over a hotel any time.You will love WDW there is so much to see and do it really is wonderful.Hope you have an amazing time :)

Well, I guess it is about time I check back in on this thread to see what new information has been offered.

Sherry, you can count on me! From a look at my past trips I don't think there is any doubt that I will be taking an overabundance of pictures and end up doing a lengthy trip report, especially since we don't have any idea if we will be returning or if it will be a one time trip. One of my worries it that my family will come back and be divided on which park we want to do the next year. Oh well, I better make it through this one first! Anyway, I've got quite a few memory cards but I imagine part of my evenings will be spent uploading photos when the cards all get full!
I am looking forward to seeing the park in it's Christmas decor because I know just how beautiful DL is at that time of year. I'm not going to know what too think about the really big castle all lit up! It's gonna be so purty! I do plan on going to see the Osborne lights and I am even half considering the Candlelight Processional too. Not sure about the extra expense of that one especially since we have seen the one at DL. Right now my main focus is trying to squeeze in everything that is different from DL and that we have never seen before into 10 days. I'm not sure we can do it considering our touring style for DL and CA alone has been a leisurely 2 weeks. We know those parks like the back of our hand while WDW is gonna be like traveling to a foreign country! I know I am going to come back feeling like I missed out on so much.
I'm not sure we will be checking out too many different hotels simply because they are so scattered out. If I were to hop on one of the Disney transportation modes I might never find my way back! :scared1: As it stands right now I am going to skip trying to park hop and just take in one park per day so as not to spend precious time in transit. I'm also narrowing down the list of dining choices so we will eat in the chosen park of the day. I originally thought having so many choices would be wonderful but having looked over many of the menus with the picky eaters I have I am not finding that many more options than DL has that would appeal to my bunch. Heck, my DS said he would be happy eating turkey legs everyday! Not a very adventurous bunch. Oh well, that helps me to narrow down the decisions I have to make for our dining! (DL is so much easier!) From the looks of things I think my bunch is gonna be happier with more of the counter service establishments rather than most of the ones I would have to make ADRs for.
My DD is gonna love AK! My son on the other hand is already dreading having to spend his precious time in a "fancy zoo". Teenagers! :sad2: Actually AK has several coasters and a river rapid ride which should help keep him entertained during the times DD is checking out the animals so I don't think it is gonna be as bad as he makes it sound. I will be sure to think of you while we are doing the Safari!

Oh yeah, did your new camera arrive yet? Let me know how you like it! You do know that a new camera is just another good reason you need to get back to the park! Can't wait to see your new shots. You will have to take some extras for me since I won't be at DL this year to take any myself.

jlmarr, thanks for the recommendation on the Biergarten. I'll keep it in mind even though my kids would probably turn up their noses. Still, it might be a good place to send DH to pick up a bier.

caz, how fun for you! I love DL and hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Just keep in mind it is much smaller. Even though it is smaller it is full of charm and details, it's still got all the great rides and is the original so it is very much worth going to see at least once. Try not to worry too much because DL is really so much easier to plan than WDW.
When we went to Universal our favorite part was the Backlot Tour so be sure to do that. We aren't much on thrill rides and it was so windy and cold the day we were there that we really did not stay very long. When we went it really wasn't that hard to get to in our rental car so I am sure you will be fine too. Probably better to be by DL since you will most likely be spending more days there. I hope you have a wonderful first time trip!
Thank you so much for the :thumbsup2 on a villa. Most folks seem pretty intent on staying onsite so it is good to hear something positive from the other side!

Okay, that catches me up on replies.... now I have another WDW question to throw out.
At DL the fireworks get canceled pretty often due to high winds. Does this happen very often at WDW? Does Illuminations or the Electrical Water Pageant also get canceled? In DL the common tip is to NOT wait until your last day to see those types of shows so you have more than once chance of seeing them should they get canceled. However, for WDW I've read several recommendations of ending your trip with something special like one of the shows. So what do ya'll really think is the best strategy?

Marie,
I wouldn't worry about doing everything in 10 days. WE were there for 8 days and saw everything and did most of the character meals. Animal Kingdom is easily done in less than 2 days. They Studio Park can easily be done in 1 day. Epcot 2-3 days if you really take your time (don't miss the Cool Spot I think it's called where they have free samples of coke products from around the world!) That leaves 4 days for you in MK. Toon town at WDW is nothing like DL. It only has Goofy's Barnstormer "roller coaster". Minnie and Mickey's Houses are much smaller and the meet and greet area takes up most of the space. The rest of Mk is very similar to DL's set up. There is an Alladin ride that is like Dumbo but you won't have the Canal Boats, Matterhorn, Alice. SO giving yourself 4 days is plenty. You won't have to worry about water parks at Christmas. DTD is a good thin to squeeze in but it is alot of restaurants with a few stores. Don't miss Goofy's Candy Shop as you can design your own treats.
Have fun, enjoy it but don't be surprised if you are like us and can't wait to get back to DL

At DL the fireworks get canceled pretty often due to high winds. Does this happen very often at WDW? Does Illuminations or the Electrical Water Pageant also get canceled?

The summer is Floridas wet season. Fantasmic will be cancelled if there is thunder anywhere nearby. We tried to see it each of 4 nights in a row and it was cancelled every time. Finally got to see it on our last night. Fireworks were cancelled from high winds just like DL. If its not too high they still launch but alter the show some since they can't get the fireworks to line up properly for some effects. Never had Illuminations cancelled but the water pagent was because of rain.

Ok, time for me to chime in with my very strong personal opinions :)

Just back ground, we just returned from DL, and next month we will be getting in our 3rd week long trip out of our WDW APs!

My opinion on the "immersion" thing. I see no difference in the quality of immersion of DL with a Harbor blvd motel, or onsite at WDW, anywhere except a monorail resort. Really, is a bus ride all that "magical"? Now I do stay at the Swan, so being able to walk to two parks, without needing buses gives it a great advantage. I suppose the resorts themselves can be great immersion, so that goes in the positive column too, but that inbetween period of traveling I don't see a lot of difference in driving your car offsite or waiting for, then riding a bus. I don't think it is a deal breaker if someone wants to stay offsite. What I really think you give us as a benefit of staying onsite are the extra magic evening hours. This is one of my all time favorite things.

On the food issue, I think the quality of food at counter service is better at DL. I do have my favorites for WDW dining. Love Boma, Hollywood and Vine, Biergarden, Cape May Cafe,Columbia Harbor House, Chef Mickeys,and all of the beer stations in Epcot! I really don't care for most of the "themed" dining experiences as I find them a little loud or intrusive ( WCC and PTC are the two highest on my "avoid" list).

Another real positive about WDW are the sweeping vistas within the parks. They photograph just beautifully.

One very superior aspect at WDW are the evening shows every day, all year long. One trip I did Illuminations 7 nights! I love ending every day with either Illuminations or Wishes.

ballarinamom, I have no doubt that we will miss a lot in 10 days but I want to make sure I see as much as I can just in case we never make it back to WDW. I am pretty sure at least some of us are going to be really missing DL and very anxious to get back there next year too.
I think our park touring plans will be similar to your recommendations. According to last year's TGM recommendations we will be arriving (on Thursday) when it would be best to start with parks other than MK so we will get a day in at each of the other parks, do a few things in the area and leave MK until the next week. Towards the end of the trip I think we will take a vote and decide which parks to do a second day or just spend the remaining at MK. Thanks for giving me a brief description and comparison on some of the rides. I can read the guidebooks all day long but it is still better getting an opinion from a real live person!
I hate wasting time on shopping so I figure we will avoid DTD. Are there enough places in the parks to take care of the bare minimum amount of souvenir shopping?

Huff, thanks for your response. I am not to worried about Fantasmic since I have seen it numerous times but it is good to know that Illuminations doesn't get canceled often.

judy, can I give you a BIG hug? :hug: I love, love, love your very strong personal opinions! They were right up my alley!
For me my immersion takes place the minute we walk out my front door heading for the airport! I am on vacation and heading to the park and it just doesn't get any better than that! My brain is dedicated to total Disney thoughts for the next 2 weeks no matter where I stay. We have never stayed onsite at DL and have still managed to have a wonderful trip... every time. I'm with you. No bus ride is gonna be magical. As for the EE. Just doesn't work for us so really holds no value in our case.
Looks like I will have to wait and see how the food choices rate. So far... there are some things I am gonna miss from DL. I am looking forward to going to the Hoop-De-Doo, Coral Reef, and Prime Time Cafe but so far those are the only "safe" choices that I think I can safely pick that my entire family will enjoy. I am also going to make ADRs for Teppan Edo and they will like it! Thank you for reminding me about most of the character meals being so loud. DD can take em or leave em so I will think hard on that before booking any of them.
Thanks for the high recommendation on Illuminations. It is at the top of my list since it will be nothing like anything we have seen before at DL. Have you ever done any of the cruises? Where is your favorite place to watch?

We had a great spot for Illuminations. We got there about 20 minutes before the show. Had time to get a drink while DH stayed in our spot. When you walk up to the lake to the start of the World Showcase. There was a large roped off area for viewing. We got right at the rail to the lake.
We preferred Sci Fi over Prime Time Cafe. Our waiter was just soso and I have read other reviews that the waiter is what makes the experience

I would agree Sci Fi over PTC, except for the opposite reason....a "good" waiter there my DH would have to hold me back from doing bodily harm :). I just don't care for that type of "dining" experience.
I really enjoy watching Illuminations from the Bridge that sperates France and UK.But, as long as you are not in front of a tree or an isalnd....the views really are great all the way around the lake.My advice is to watch it more than once from a few different spots!And don't bother to photograph or tape, you tube has plenty of these you can watch later......just enjoy.

ballarinamom, I have heard about your suggested area for viewing Illuminations but just a little worried since everyone else goes there. Does the area have any seating? And, do you end up packed in like sardines? I may have to wander over and check out Judy's bridge! I will definitely skip video taping. I usually end up missing the best parts of the show fiddling with a camera. Let's face it, while you are watching it is fantastic but most of the shows like that really doesn't come across as well in a video anyway.

I am considering Sci Fi but to be perfectly honest the menu just does not entice me much. Too many sandwiches. We may have to go in and at least sit down for dessert or a shake just to see the place!
Judy from Boise, it sounds like you really should stay out of Prime Time Cafe! We wouldn't want to read about you in the news getting into an altercation with one of the waiters! I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Assuming we could get a good waiter we would probably get a good laugh. We went to the Soap Opera Bistro way back when it was in CA. The food wasn't all that great but we had the best time interacting with the staff. Is it anything along that line?

I've got some more questions today.

Candlelight Processional? Last year's dining packages look fairly reasonable so I am considering this one. I've done the one at DL. How does the one at WDW compare? What are the chances of seeing it without purchasing a package?

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? Is it worth it? I read that they try to limit the tickets to 20,000. That's still a lot of people! However, since this is my first time at WDW I am still working on getting a mental image in my head. How does that sort of crowd spread out in WDW compare to say Main Street during parade and fireworks time? Does WDW's Main Street get as cram packed? Does the extra size of WDW help to disperse the crowd? I'd like to see the parade and fireworks but I'm just trying to decide if it's worth braving a big crowd.

Can someone tell me a little about Stitch's Great Escape? It is listed as a theater presentation but why are you strapped into your seat? Is it like a motion simulator or something?

There were no seat per se. There were a few benches. We got there about 15 minutes before the show and got a great spot at the rail. Not too crowded. Maybe just 2 or three deep. I think so many people just stop were they are and walk over to the rail since you can see it from any spot around the lake. So they are all around the world showcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter