• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Question! Done DL, now what do I need to know about WDW from a DLer perspective?

mariezp

DIS Veteran
Let me start by saying.... so far my very favorite vacation destination in the whole wide world has been Disneyland! I have spent the majority of my Disboard career on the Disneyland section of the board. It's nice and cozy over here and I feel right at home with lots of familiar names and faces. :grouphug:

Anyway.... have you ever noticed when you have kids you often do things for them you wouldn't normally do on your own? Well, my son caught me in a moment of weakness. He has some friends that he chats with and plays games with online that he would like to meet up with who just happen to live in Florida so he asked me if we might be able to take our annual family vacation in the fall to WDW this year instead of DL. Me, being the kind and considerate mother that I am... I said yes. :lovestruc

Now that I have come to my senses :scared1: I feel like such a traitor! I am not at all sure how I truly feel about his new arrangement. I do know I am going to miss my Disneyland terribly. :sad1: On the other hand, this will give us a chance we probably wouldn't do otherwise to try out WDW once and see what we think. DS and his younger sister are REALLY excited about trying the new park. It really is hard to not catch some of their enthusiasm so.... I am thinking this just might be fun. :scratchin

So as my typical plan-way-ahead self I have delved into the planning which I must say initially has been all very overwhelming. After some pondering it looks like we are going to be in WDW December 2-16. So far I have booked our flight (at a fantastic rate!), made a deposit on a house (complete with our own private pool!) and reserved a car. :thumbsup2 I think now that I have those things taken care of I am feeling a little less stressed and think I can start to actually enjoy some of the other research and planning.

I need some help from those of you who have been to both parks. I know during the next 8 months that I am going to have plenty of questions about WDW so I hope you don't mind if I keep a little space to come and get the answers to my questions when I can't find them elsewhere.

So here's my questions for TODAY. (obviously, food is on my mind)
(1) Is there any place to dine even remotely like Blue Bayou at WDW?
(2) Do they have a Plaza Inn or something similar with fried chicken at WDW? My guys will break down in tears if they don't get to eat their favorite meal!
(3) Is there a place to get chocolate covered strawberries at WDW?.

1) The only place with a similar - but different -The San Angel Inn in Mexico at Epcot Worrld Showcase. It has atmosphere - overlooking a Mayan pyramid - but the food can be questionable - kind of like the Blue Bayou.

2) Fried Chicken - the Trails End Buffeteria at the Fort Wilderness Campground. You'll either need to take the boat from the Magic Kingdom to the campground and that will put you right into the heart of the resort where the Hoop de Doo Review is performed. Here's a link to the blog entries about Fort Wilderness to give you a feel for it. http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/01/

3) You should be able to get the chocolate covered strawberries at any of the major confectionary shops in each park - the Candy Palace on Main Street in the MK, Starring Rolls in the Studios, as well as Goofy's Candy Kitchen in DTD Marketplace.

I know how you feel! I was overwhelmed with planning our last WDW trip. The Passporter book was fabulous! I loved it, and currently have my book on loan to a good friend who is going this year on my recommendation. :goodvibes It gives you good information, and you can read it, your kids can look it over, etc. I liked the passpockets on it to write down our ADRs, favorites, etc. I took it with us in the parks as well. I found the WDW boards really overwhelming, and got several testy answers from people when I asked questions about making ADRs, etc. :confused3 Not like here on the DL boards!

EPCOT is awesome, and there is nothing like it at DLR. Well worth a couple days. I agree with the PP about San Angel Inn. I did enjoy the "atmosphere" at Coral Reef in Epcot, and the food was much better than at Blue Bayou. Sci-Fin Dine-In in DHS was also a really unique atmosphere, we loved it, and the shakes were delicious. For fried chicken, you might want to check the menus for Crystal Palace. I know they used to have it but we didn't eat there last time. Fried chicken is my DD's favorite at DL too!!!

We also enjoyed Blizzard Beach, even in November (to my surprise!). The water parks are really fun. You've got a nice long trip planned- that's awesome! Take it slow and don't go super commando. You'll be exhausted. I "over planned" our last trip with daily ADRs, etc. and my family got tired of that. They are used to a much more relaxed pace at DL. You'll also find that the parks close much earlier than here in the off season. I was disappointed in the hours, but was able to use EMH a couple times. I think it was more crowded during EMH, so not being able to use them won't be a big loss for you, IMO.

Hi Mariezp,

I am a life-long DisneyLANDer. When DH and I went to WDW for our 10 year anniversary I was totally lost. I went to the WDW boards and quickly learned that I needed things in a DL perspective. People on this board were great. I realize the trip specifics (time of year, 2 adults / no kids, anniversary) may or may not be a match for your situation, but you may want to read through my WDW question thread as there is LOTS of great info that helped me tremendously. We had an amazing trip and lots of the tips from here helped. I dug up my thread in hopes it may help you. Here you go.

- Dreams

They do have restaurants that are part of rides or have special stuff like Sci-Fi Dine-In where you are in a drive in theater, Prime Time Cafe which is home like, Garden Grille in the Land is actually a circling building with all you can eat and the Land ride is just beyond the building. Coral Reef has fishies to watch. Do try the shaved ice at the Japanese Pavillion.

I doubt I will ever eat at San Angel because they are not Disney run and are on the Allergy warning list of places that we warn people about. They do not have gluten free tortilla chips, doh stupid go buy Mission or Trader Joe's chips.

(2) Do they have a Plaza Inn or something similar with fried chicken at WDW? My guys will break down in tears if they don't get to eat their favorite meal!

Hoop de Doo Review is fun, needs ADR and has fried chicken served family style.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/menuoutput.cfm?restaurantname=Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue

Trail's End as mentioned above
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/menuoutput.cfm?restaurantname=Trail's End Restaurant

Tusker House
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/menuoutput.cfm?restaurantname=Tusker House

At the Swan Hotel is the Garden Grove
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.ID=206

50's Prime Time Cafe is a place your family will love.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=113
Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken - Served with Mashed Potatoes, Chicken gravy, and Southern greens. - $14.99

Pop Century Resort also has fried chicken dinners. If you check WDW menus you can find a ton of chicken strips and chicken nugget spots.

That was answered and they most likely would be in only those shops and are expensive. I found an old thread that said in 2005 they were $2.50 each, ouch.

I agree with PP that Blizard Beach is so much fun. We planned one water park day as just an extra thing to do and it turned out to be one of our favorite parts of the trip!

Also, when I planned our trip to WDW I was just a lurker on these boards and I found all the info I needed without asking my own questions. Every time I had a new question I would do a search and find the answer. I only mention that to say that if you feel uncomfortable asking things on the other forums because you might get a "testy" answer then you can try just being a lurker over there and asking other questions over here. I know the search feature seems like it doesn't always work quite right but it might be worth a try.

It sounds like it will be a fun trip!

You'll have fun - it's a totally new experience with the submersion factor. You never have to leave Disney. That and the dining are my big misses at DL versus WDW - DL has better snacks though :)

I agree on the postings on San Angel like Blue Bayou. It's really pretty, but I'd save that meal and eat late at Rose and Crown in UK instead. You lose that atmosphere, but sit right on the water (wait for a patio table) and you watch the Illuminations show from your table if you time it right. Best seats in Epcot for that show!

For fried chicken - I'd go with Prime Time 50's at DHS. It tastes like Plaza to me and it's much easier to get to than Ft. Wilderness. You need to take transportation time into account a lot more at WDW. This restaurant has "moms" serving you and they are a hoot! Be sure to wash your hands before dinner (note the color of the soap) and keep your elbows off the table! Love it - if you have the dining plan shakes and floats are included as a beverage.

Chocolate covered strawberries are everywhere - no worries!

You'll have a great time! Be sure to see Philharmagic at the Magic Kingdom - it's one of my favorites - I wish they'd bring that to DCA!

I love your post! I found this website back in Feb and was here constantly on the Disneyland thread to help me with our vacation last week! I love it here!
Anyway, now I am planning a WDW trip myself (and I used to work there when I was in college 15 years ago but things have changed so much I am sure so I am back at square 1 and need help).
I actually joined tourguidemike.com. 2 of my friends recommended it to me and it is great so far. You can even join a group specific to the month you are going so you can ge to know a smaller group that you have something in common with. So I recommend his website. It is $21.95 but I think it is worth it personally and I like it better than Ridemax and it does not expire in 90 days.
But I have to admit I miss being over here though. That is the only negative. :(

So now I am thinking I might have to do Disneyland and Disneyworld BOTH next year.

Note on Mexico restaurant at Epcot. I got food poisoning there so I would not eat there again (even if that was 15 years ago). Gross.

I am kind of stressed with the whole restaurant reservation thing at WDW. So overwhelming to figure out where and when to eat etc..

Where are you going to stay at WDW?

You are going at a FANTASTIC time!! Low crowds AND Christmas decorations!!! You will love it! I am so jealous b/c we can only go when the kids are out of school and it will be packed (thanksgiving or spring break..have not decided on which yet).

I'm not a food expert, but I think coming here to get our perspective is a good idea! I go to both and love things about both, but my heart belongs to Disneyland.

Coronado Springs Resort dining and San Angel are out of the same company so they are on the alert list of mine. Yak and Yeti as well as T Rex are out of the Landry restaurant chain that is know for hit and miss service and allergy knowledge. I have eaten at many Landry's restaurants and while service is usually excellent you have to be very careful about cross contamination and stuff.

Let me start by saying.... so far my very favorite vacation destination in the whole wide world has been Disneyland! I have spent the majority of my Disboard career on the Disneyland section of the board. It's nice and cozy over here and I feel right at home with lots of familiar names and faces. :grouphug:

I'm a relative newb over here. Most of the people over here are pretty cool, heck I've only gotten one post removed.

Anyway.... have you ever noticed when you have kids you often do things for them you wouldn't normally do on your own? Well, my son caught me in a moment of weakness. He has some friends that he chats with and plays games with online that he would like to meet up with who just happen to live in Florida so he asked me if we might be able to take our annual family vacation in the fall to WDW this year instead of DL. Me, being the kind and considerate mother that I am... I said yes. :lovestruc

Way to pass your desire to go to WDW off on the kid, if I had one I'd probaly do the same....And now you get to look like #1 mom, way to go.:goodvibes

Now that I have come to my senses :scared1: I feel like such a traitor! I am not at all sure how I truly feel about his new arrangement. I do know I am going to miss my Disneyland terribly. :sad1: On the other hand, this will give us a chance we probably wouldn't do otherwise to try out WDW once and see what we think. DS and his younger sister are REALLY excited about trying the new park. It really is hard to not catch some of their enthusiasm so.... I am thinking this just might be fun. :scratchin

I went to WDW in Nov, and it rocked. Make sure to get some adult time in EPCOT, lots of good food and drinks. Also, make sure to go to the AK, I thought that was one of the most interesting parks at WDW. I could care less about the MK, thought it was run down. If you like D Land you'll probally come out thinking the same thing I did. EPCOT is great.

So as my typical plan-way-ahead self I have delved into the planning which I must say initially has been all very overwhelming. After some pondering it looks like we are going to be in WDW December 2-16. So far I have booked our flight (at a fantastic rate!), made a deposit on a house (complete with our own private pool!) and reserved a car. :thumbsup2 I think now that I have those things taken care of I am feeling a little less stressed and think I can start to actually enjoy some of the other research and planning.

We stayed at the Poly, with the monorail there it saved tons of time getting to the park.

Here's where my Disneyland Disboard buddies come in. I need some help from those of you who have been to both parks. Quite frankly, I love you guys and value the info this bunch has to offer! I know during the next 8 months that I am going to have plenty of questions about WDW so I hope you don't mind if I keep a little space to come and get the answers to my questions in a friendly environment when I need a break from the deep dark overwhelming depths of the WDW section of the board. :scared:

Its lots of stuff to plan, people tend to micromanage. Id just get the dinner adrs out of the way and wing the rest. That's what we did, no sense having 3 meals all planned out and no flexibility in your day....

So here's my questions for TODAY. (obviously, food is on my mind)

We didn't notice a BB clone or anything similar, their Pirates ride does not lend itself to it...
There is fried chicken at the MK at the Liberty Inn (I think that was its name, it was sponsored by stoffur's so we kept walking)
As far as the berries, I have no idea.

We ate at teppan edo, ca grille, le celler, the rose and crown pub (probally some of the best food at ecpot), the biergarden, tokoyo dining, the mexican pavillion, and ohanas....

Im sure there are others if you need more info just post up.
Ohanas for the first dinner of your stay is very impressive...

I just love this forum! I knew you guys would not let me down! :thumbsup2
YellowMickeyPonchos, Silly Little Pixie, Disney Dreams, mechurchlady, LavenderPeach, TinkSassy, toni1227, brenda1966 and Lakewood thank you all for your input this time around!

Oh goodie! Multiple choices for the boys fried chicken. (adding San Angel Inn, Trails End Buffeteria, Tusker House, Swan Hotel and MK at the Liberty Inn to my notes) I have been considering Hoop de Doo Review. Any thoughts on the show? Will check Crystal Palace too. Even if they don't have chicken their buffet looks to have quite an assortment to choose from. Must also check out Garden Grille and try shaved ice at the Japanese Pavillion. Got it! Lakewood you have certainly given me more choices to consider! Just have to decide which ones will work with our sometimes picky kids. Chocolate covered strawberries are expensive but oh so worth it! I missed mine last year so hopefully one every 2 years won't break our budget!

Coral Reef, Sci-Fi Diner (will have to try those shakes!) and Prime Time Cafe are already on our must try list. I like the idea of dining at Rose and Crown during Illuminations. Will have to see if I can figure out how to time that right. Now I just have to sort through and pick the other restaurants that we just gotta try, assuming I have any spots open! Luckily we do not have any food allergies so we are open to everything.

Philharmagic is on our must do list. I love shows so it is right up my alley!

We are skipping the water parks this time. We will have a pool at our house so that should solve any desire the kids have to get wet. Plus we do plan on going to see the beach part of one day. Unfortunately, even though we will have 2 weeks there just won't be enough time to cram in everything. I know 2 weeks sounds long to some but our favorite way is to take the park slow and leisurely. We usually spend 2 weeks in Disneyland but it's going to be so much different in WDW with so many new things we have never seen. It is going to be an adjustment to our normal routine. We usually take a mid day break but with the park hours in WDW I am wondering if we would just be better off to stay through the day and leave the park earlier with no break. Glad to hear that I won't miss much by not taking advantage of EMH. It probably wouldn't work for us because the guys are NOT early risers anyway.

I have a Passporter book ordered. It sounds very useful as well as informative. Of course, there is still no book that can outdo the wealth of information you can find right here on our very own Disboard. I will consider using tourguidemike.com as our dates get closer. Right now I am just enjoying the task of absorbing everything my poor little mind can process on it's own. Also, I don't have a lot of time to spend computing every day so I best not get too much going at once. So far, I am very happy with the information that I am garnering here.

Disney Dreams thank you so much for looking up and sharing your link with me! Good to know that I am not the only one who likes things from the DL perspective! I haven't finished reading it all yet but so far it looks like just the sort of information that I can use. :hug:

toni1227, how was your trip last week? Did you have a wonderful time? I would have LOVED to have went to both parks but it would have been too expensive. Even though we could have used our APs at DL there would have still been airfare and lodging, which is no small expenditure for 2 weeks. Lucky you to get to do both! Is the San Angel Inn the place you got sick at? I suppose it could happen anywhere, anytime but it certainly does make going there seem less appealing once you have gotten sick there before. I am stressing with you about ressies but if worst comes to worst we will do counter service and still not starve! My boys could live off of churros and turkey legs!

Which reminds me... I asked my DS if he had any questions for me to ask. He only wants to know if he can get a map with the location of every place you can find a turkey leg! :lmao:

I actually found a house in the Sunset Lakes area shortly after I started looking. It is called the Peterson Paradise Retreat. Kismet, maybe? Peterson just so happens to be our last name. Check it out! http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p219739
We homeschool so we are fortunate enough to be able to go during off season. I hope you are right and the crowds are few!

brenda1966, your statement just about sums up how I feel. My heart belongs to Disneyland! I am trying to keep an open mind. I am just hoping that after we have given both parks a try my family is not split on which one they like best!

Again, thanks for all the responses! I am sure I will be back soon!

I just love this forum! I knew you guys would not let me down! :thumbsup2
YellowMickeyPonchos, Silly Little Pixie, Disney Dreams, mechurchlady, LavenderPeach, TinkSassy, toni1227, brenda1966 and Lakewood thank you all for your input this time around!

Oh goodie! Multiple choices for the boys fried chicken. (adding San Angel Inn, Trails End Buffeteria, Tusker House, Swan Hotel and MK at the Liberty Inn to my notes) I have been considering Hoop de Doo Review. Any thoughts on the show? Will check Crystal Palace too. Even if they don't have chicken their buffet looks to have quite an assortment to choose from. Must also check out Garden Grille and try shaved ice at the Japanese Pavillion. Got it! Lakewood you have certainly given me more choices to consider! Just have to decide which ones will work with our sometimes picky kids. Chocolate covered strawberries are expensive but oh so worth it! I missed mine last year so hopefully one every 2 years won't break our budget!

Coral Reef, Sci-Fi Diner (will have to try those shakes!) and Prime Time Cafe are already on our must try list. I like the idea of dining at Rose and Crown during Illuminations. Will have to see if I can figure out how to time that right. Now I just have to sort through and pick the other restaurants that we just gotta try, assuming I have any spots open! Luckily we do not have any food allergies so we are open to everything.

Philharmagic is on our must do list. I love shows so it is right up my alley!

We are skipping the water parks this time. We will have a pool at our house so that should solve any desire the kids have to get wet. Plus we do plan on going to see the beach part of one day. Unfortunately, even though we will have 2 weeks there just won't be enough time to cram in everything. I know 2 weeks sounds long to some but our favorite way is to take the park slow and leisurely. We usually spend 2 weeks in Disneyland but it's going to be so much different in WDW with so many new things we have never seen. It is going to be an adjustment to our normal routine. We usually take a mid day break but with the park hours in WDW I am wondering if we would just be better off to stay through the day and leave the park earlier with no break. Glad to hear that I won't miss much by not taking advantage of EMH. It probably wouldn't work for us because the guys are NOT early risers anyway.

I have a Passporter book ordered. It sounds very useful as well as informative. Of course, there is still no book that can outdo the wealth of information you can find right here on our very own Disboard. I will consider using tourguidemike.com as our dates get closer. Right now I am just enjoying the task of absorbing everything my poor little mind can process on it's own. Also, I don't have a lot of time to spend computing every day so I best not get too much going at once. So far, I am very happy with the information that I am garnering here.

Disney Dreams thank you so much for looking up and sharing your link with me! Good to know that I am not the only one who likes things from the DL perspective! I haven't finished reading it all yet but so far it looks like just the sort of information that I can use. :hug:

toni1227, how was your trip last week? Did you have a wonderful time? I would have LOVED to have went to both parks but it would have been too expensive. Even though we could have used our APs at DL there would have still been airfare and lodging, which is no small expenditure for 2 weeks. Lucky you to get to do both! Is the San Angel Inn the place you got sick at? I suppose it could happen anywhere, anytime but it certainly does make going there seem less appealing once you have gotten sick there before. I am stressing with you about ressies but if worst comes to worst we will do counter service and still not starve! My boys could live off of churros and turkey legs!

Which reminds me... I asked my DS if he had any questions for me to ask. He only wants to know if he can get a map with the location of every place you can find a turkey leg! :lmao:

I actually found a house in the Sunset Lakes area shortly after I started looking. It is called the Peterson Paradise Retreat. Kismet, maybe? Peterson just so happens to be our last name. Check it out! http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p219739
We homeschool so we are fortunate enough to be able to go during off season. I hope you are right and the crowds are few!

brenda1966, your statement just about sums up how I feel. My heart belongs to Disneyland! I am trying to keep an open mind. I am just hoping that after we have given both parks a try my family is not split on which one they like best!

Again, thanks for all the responses! I am sure I will be back soon!

Our trip was good but we had issues. We spent 3 nights at GCH and 3 nights in San Diego at 2 crappy marriotts. We managed to do DL for 1.5 days then the last day at DCA my daughter got really sick with fever and cough so we spent that day in the hotel room so I cried I was so depressed that day. I just wanted her to be well and I wanted to be at Disney!!! The next day we went to San Diego and our hotel was a huge disappointment there after leaving the GCH. It was supposed to be a 6 star spa marriott hotel in coronado and it smelled terribly. We had to switch to a courtyard marriott and that one smelled as well but was tolerable (I have a sensitive nose BIG TIME).
And I was sad and wanted to be back at Disney. But I still loved it and I am glad I went. I learned a lot about what to do next time..specifically, stay at Disney for 5 days at least instead of 2.5 AND if I ever have plans to do something else besides Disney on that trip make sure I end with Disney so I am not depressed wanting to go back.

Well, my goal is to do both next year but that is if I can save and nothing comes up (knock on wood). I wanted to do WDW this Thanksgiving but that is really pushing it so I think I will push it up to Thanksgiving 2010 to give me time to save $5000+ instead of putting it on credit (bad idea!) but in the meantime I planned to take a trip in June next year so I figure we might as well do DL. I hope they come out with a good deal like they have right now 5/3. We use airlines miles to fly for the most part since my DH travels a lot so that helps.

Oh and yes that is where I got sick.

Do you know if they serve SANDWICHES (like turkey clubs) anywhere counter service at WDW? I could live on those!!!
OR does anyone here know if they have something like Carnation Cafe or White Water Snacks there?? Those are my 2 faves at DLR.

Oh dear, toni1227! I think you certainly deserve a return trip after all that. I feel for you. Being stuck in a hotel while DL is calling to you is certainly enough to make you cry. Even worse that the bad luck seemed to follow you to San Diego. At least you learned a couple tips for your next trip. I hope it works out that you get to take both trips. And that both trips are FANTASTIC with no problems!

We have had a few illnesses on several trips but luckily they have only lasted a few hours. Even during that time I had to remind myself that tending to my sick child was more important than being in the park. It's really stressful after you have all your expectations built up for the perfect vacation to have them shot down by anything!

I would imagine after staying at GCH it would test any place to measure up. However, there really is no excuse for stinky lodging!

If your family loves sandwiches you should be quite happy at DL. My family is the exact opposite. It seems when they recently changed their menus to supposedly be healthier their favorite solution was to add more sandwiches to their menus. Thankfully, they didn't change all our favorite meals but it did make it trickier for us to find a place with different options. For us we try to stay away from too much bread and the extra carbs that come with it.

FYI - you might want to look into some restaurant reviews. A lot of the atmosphere restaurants do NOT have good food. Including the SciFi Dine in. We had friends approach it with an open mind in December and came back telling us that we were right to tell them not to eat there. Same with San Angel Inn. Notice too, that most of the DL Boards say not to eat anything but dessert at the Bayou these days....

I've also been sick at the San Angel, Ariel's Grotto, and a number of other park establishments. It's part and parcel of a week eating super rich foods/big portions at every meal. I also get sick when I eat hamburgers, but that is another story. ;)

YellowMickeyPonchos, Oh yeah! I know how valuable those reviews can be and I have been doing my share of reading. Still, I do try to keep an open mind because I have found that we often don't always agree with some folks. I guess my best example would be Blue Bayou. It is my family's favorite place to dine in DL. So far we have never had a bad meal there. Yep, it's overpriced and the service is sometimes slow but our trip would not be complete without at least one trip there during our vacation. I think sometimes we are just easy to please because almost anything makes us happy when we are on vacation! On the other hand, I do know sometimes I read things and think that some people couldn't be pleased by anyone or anything.

I do think you are right that sometimes it may not be the food itself but also the fact that you are eating foods so different from what your digestive system is used to.

I have to confess after I learned that tourguidemike.com doesn't expire until 60 days after your trip I went ahead and signed up this morning. I was right... my head hurts now from so much more information! It does look like it is going to be a great resource though. So... on with the planning!

Speaking of being wrecked in regards to the stomach... We had the dlx dining plan, it was like 7 days of Thanksgiving for that week. Ate way too much, got home started to eat normal portions.... Felt strange.

I am also starting to plan a trip to WDW. It is so overwhelming! The restaurants are definitely tricky. How will I know when I will hungry :confused3

Plus, everytime we have done a TS restaurant at DLR I always get too full and I can't snack. Snacking at DL is the best part for me. I don't think we are going to do the Dlx dining package for that reason.

Good luck with planning. I will definitely be coming to you for tips in the future!

Speaking of being wrecked in regards to the stomach... We had the dlx dining plan, it was like 7 days of Thanksgiving for that week. Ate way too much, got home started to eat normal portions.... Felt strange.
That is too funny! I know what you mean though about overindulging while you are in the parks.

While I am at home planning I spend a lot of time imagining all the great food and treats we will have. Trouble is when you are actually at the park there is no way you can find enough hours in a day to eat everything that sounds yummy. Last year I brought jelly beans, fudge, a caramel apple and a white chocolate covered apple back to our room thinking I would snack on them in the evenings. At the end of our trip, as we were packing up to go home, I ended up throwing everything away except the jellybeans. :scared1: Even when we were in the park the rest of my bunch would grab a snack between meals but I was still too stuffed from each meal.

I have read many claims that WDW has better food than DL. I agree that they do have a lot more choices but so far nothing has really wowed me a lot more than the choices at DL. As a matter of fact, I am going to miss a few of our favorites. Anybody else ever felt that way? :(

KrazyKat4DIS, feel free to gather any information here that will help you as well! At least you have one trip already on your belt. This is all a complete shock to my system! So, when is your trip?

Oh yeah! toni1227 I forgot to say that I bet you had a blast working in WDW way back when. I don't imagine the pay in all that great but I would still love to work there even now.

It was a wonderful experience. I got to live in their (disney's) apartment complex called Vista Way. I think the pay was $5.60 or something an hour but it was MORE than minimum wage. I lived with 5 roommates from all over the country.
I worked at Disney Village Market Place at Christmas Chalet, You and Me Kid, the Mattel store (which was torn down and turned into World of Disney I think) then about a month before my term was up I got a full time job working with Mickey Mouse in the photo studio (when people bought packages they got a free session).
So I would take test shots with Mickey everyday before we started and I got to know the people who were Mickey (well some of them). They were all 18 year old girls. 5 foot tall girls. (and Donald and Daisy require even shorter height requirements!) Also, at that time they had 150 CM who were Mickey Mouse and you will never see more than 1 Mickey at a park at WDW (at least that is how it was then). I thought I was going to stay in Orlando and go to college which is why I applied for the full time photo studio job but then I chickened out when all my friends moved away from the college program and quit and drove home and still have not been back yet.

I got to see all kinds of stuff and I got to drive up to the back lot at MK and take the underground tunnels to go to rides etc. and I got in FREE everywhere on my days off. And I used to lay out at all the pools and beaches at the resort hotels on my days off work..specifically I went to Port Orleans and Poly a lot. I worked there Aug-Jan 1993-1994.
It was a total blast!!!

sorry probably more than you wanted to know but I have not really talked much about it (mainly b/c people in my daily life are not into disney) but here i can get carried away!!!!

If I was near disney then I would want to work there now too!! I mean you get in free so you save a lot there at least!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter