New mugs cant be microwaved

We have a couple of the mugs with the rfid chips from the test at sports back in 2011 I think it was. We were told not to microwave them, and I figured it was because of the chip. We microwave them at home now all the time with no issues.

Any pictures of these new mugs? Are they in use right now in all the resorts?

When the RFID chips become active, re-using old mugs will not be possible. So it will end the debate regarding whether you should re-use them or not.

And yes, they cannot be microwaved because of the RFID chip. Don't know if that is because the chip won't work, or because microwaving the chip could cause damage to the mug or the microwave. I have no idea if they're metal or have metal in them or what.

Like all micro chips, and that's all they are, a type of micro chip, they have metal in them. That's what circuits are made of. Microwaves would damage the chip but of course you should never put anything with metal in it into a microwave because that can cause arcing.

Huh. I didn't know the current refillable plastic mugs were microwaveable. Just assumed they weren't sine it is never a good idea (even when possible) to put plastic in microwaves (for health reasons).

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yeah I didn't think the current ones were microwave safe. Even if they are "microwave safe" that doesn't mean they're not made with BPA. I try to avoid microwaving any plastics...I don't like the thought of chemicals leaching into my food or drink.

I think this might just be due to the RFID chip on the mug. I am not sure why a plastic cup would be used in a microwave anyway, I have never heard of this before :laughing:

I always heat my coffee in my old Disney plastic mugs . 7-11 sells plastic coffee mugs everyone heats them in microwave . Dumb chip I doubt it's removable or it would defeat the purpose . People would pop it out and bring it back next time

Popping the chip put and bringing the mug back wouldn't work because the machines wouldn't dispense the drinks. That's the whole purpose of the chips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter