New member wants to purchase less than 125 points direct

KeithSS

Mouseketeer
Has anyone purchased less than 125 points direct as a new member in the last few months? I have a friend who wants to get into DVC but only has enough $$ to purchase 60-75 points right now at OKW or AKL. They want to purchase direct to get the 0% and rewards on their Disney Visa car. My guide says 125 is the min for new member with no exceptions, but I find that hard to believe. He said if I can show him someone else bought less than that, he can get his mgr to override it. Yes she knows resale is a better deal, but she may want to add on more points in the future so she would like her inital batch to count towards the min for a blue card.

Or does anyone have Terri Schultz's email address cause I find it very hard to believe that disney would tell my friend that they don't want her $$

If they want to purchase less than 125 they would have to buy resale first. If they purchase a 25 point contract resale then they are members. Members can purchase only 25 points direct if they want.
No. I thought non members had to buy at least 50 or 75. I think 50 for everything Poly and before and 75 for CCV and RIV. I could be wrong. DVC needs to stop changing things. The 125 is needed for benefits. You can buy a fixed week at RIV and CCV and be under 125. So you definitely do not need 125 minimum to buy direct. Minimum for members is 25 for Poly and previous and 50 for CCV and RIV, but they have made some exceptions.

Last edited:

No. I thought non members had to buy at least 50 or 75. I think 50 for everything Poly and before and 75 for CCV and RIV. I could be wrong. DVC needs to stop changing things. The 125 is needed for benefits. You can buy a fixed week at RIV and CCV and be under 125. So you definitely do not need 125 minimum to buy direct. Minimum for members is 25 for Poly and previous and 50 for CCV and RIV, but they have made some exceptions.

Good point on the fixed week.

First time buyer. Direct. Minimum 125 points. 100% definite. Tying up our first purchase today and it’s quite a sizeable purchase but breaking it into smaller smaller individual contracts. Even with that the first of those contracts HAS to be at least 125 points.

I think that has changed and new buyers have to purchase 125 points.

I think that has changed and new buyers have to purchase 125 points.
New buyers can buy a fixed week even with the 10% extra that you pay for when you buy one can still be less than 125. New buyers do not have to buy 125 points. 125 is needed for blue card benefits.

I have a question... if we buy a resale and once it all goes through and is completed with Disney can we add on points direct less than 125 or does it always have to be the minimum of 125?? Just curious.

I have a question... if we buy a resale and once it all goes through and is completed with Disney can we add on points direct less than 125 or does it always have to be the minimum of 125?? Just curious.

yes once you are a member you can buy as little as 25-50 point depending on the resort. Which makes it even more idiotic that you can't buy less than the 125 to become a member.

yes once you are a member you can buy as little as 25-50 point depending on the resort. Which makes it even more idiotic that you can't buy less than the 125 to become a member.

Thanks so much, this helps alot. I think this is what we may do, just add 25 points to get the blue card or does it have to be 125? I think it might be that. Am I right?

Thanks so much, this helps alot. I think this is what we may do, just add 25 points to get the blue card or does it have to be 125? I think it might be that. Am I right?

You need 125 points total purchased direct for the Blue Card. It doesn't have to all be purchased at once. You can buy 5 different 25 point add-on contracts to eventually get there, but if you only have 4 different 25 point contracts (or any combination less than 125), you'd still need that last one to get to the 125 point direct minimum and the Blue Card.

You need 125 points total purchased direct for the Blue Card. It doesn't have to all be purchased at once. You can buy 5 different 25 point add-on contracts to eventually get there, but if you only have 4 different 25 point contracts (or any combination less than 125), you'd still need that last one to get to the 125 point direct minimum and the Blue Card.

Okay this is what I figured. Not so sure then if it would truly be worth it for me to add on this way. We have saved so much already by buying resale. Thank you for the reply.

First time buyer. Direct. Minimum 125 points. 100% definite. Tying up our first purchase today and it’s quite a sizeable purchase but breaking it into smaller smaller individual contracts. Even with that the first of those contracts HAS to be at least 125 points.
I talked to a guide today and asked if I could break my 150 pt contract into 2 75 point contracts and he said I can.

I talked to a guide today and asked if I could break my 150 pt contract into 2 75 point contracts and he said I can.
We did something similar when we bought VGF direct. We did 3 50 point contracts because we have 3 kids and figured if we got tired of them (not likely) we could give one to each kid easily.

Me, too! This will make it easy to split between by 2 boys if they are interested. I also figure if for some reason we need to sell, it will be easier and hopefully a little more lucrative to have the smaller contracts.

When the new minimum for perks went to 125 back in a October, there were some who said guides told them that the new minimum would be 125 for new members as well,

So, while there have been times when they have allowed it to be lower, it is not something that is usually negotiable. I do know people who have been turned away.

Also, you may want to find and email someone at DVD. Terri is in charge of DVC which Is not the same division. I am sure she will respond to pass it along.

Which resort did you purchase? I thought I remembered reading not all properties could be split like this??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter