New member wants to purchase less than 125 points direct

We always do five to seven nights when we go to DL-five days in park, some beach or pool time. My husband went to college in Southern California and would spend the whole week at the beach and visiting his buddies if he had his way, and the kids love a beach day. We are West Coasters but the ocean is colllllld where we live.

I am disappointed by the room configuration at the new resort. We typically get a 2 bedroom at the Grand because we are traveling with 6 or more and it’s a bummer to see so few. Of course, point cost on those will probably be pure insanity.
I won’t go to Southern California for less than a week either, but I’m not staying in a Studio 30 minutes from the nearest beach for the non-Disney part of the stay. I’ll stay at the Hyatt Huntington Beach or the Hotel Indigo Del Mar or something for several days.

I haven’t seen this point brought up yet, but if you buy multiple lower point contracts that add up to the 125 minimum, you cannot sell one at a later date and maintain blue card. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

I haven’t seen this point brought up yet, but if you buy multiple lower point contracts that add up to the 125 minimum, you cannot sell one at a later date and maintain blue card. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.
You are correct. :)

Has anyone purchased less than 125 points direct as a new member in the last few months? I have a friend who wants to get into DVC but only has enough $$ to purchase 60-75 points right now at OKW or AKL. They want to purchase direct to get the 0% and rewards on their Disney Visa car. My guide says 125 is the min for new member with no exceptions, but I find that hard to believe. He said if I can show him someone else bought less than that, he can get his mgr to override it. Yes she knows resale is a better deal, but she may want to add on more points in the future so she would like her inital batch to count towards the min for a blue card.

Or does anyone have Terri Schultz's email address cause I find it very hard to believe that disney would tell my friend that they don't want her $$
When the new minimum for perks went to 125 back in a October, there were some who said guides told them that the new minimum would be 125 for new members as well,

So, while there have been times when they have allowed it to be lower, it is not something that is usually negotiable. I do know people who have been turned away.

Also, you may want to find and email someone at DVD. Terri is in charge of DVC which Is not the same division. I am sure she will respond to pass it along.

I chatted with a guide today and they told me 125 is minimum for the perks and minimum on some resorts. However, new members can buy less than 125 at certain resorts directly through Disney. I screen shot it to have proof. He said if you buy less than 125 direct as a new member, you can use it for Riveria and future resorts. However, you need 125 for the other perks. So that was the info I got today and specifically was inquiring about SSR and OKW and Disney said yes you can buy less than 125 as a new member at those places.

I chatted with a guide today and they told me 125 is minimum for the perks and minimum on some resorts. However, new members can buy less than 125 at certain resorts directly through Disney. I screen shot it to have proof. He said if you buy less than 125 direct as a new member, you can use it for Riveria and future resorts. However, you need 125 for the other perks. So that was the info I got today and specifically was inquiring about SSR and OKW and Disney said yes you can buy less than 125 as a new member at those places.

Thanks for the update!

Have you actually purchased less than 125? If you have please let us know. I asked my guide that very question several time most recently about 2 weeks ago and was told 125 was the minimum # of points a new member could purchase.

Have you actually done this yet? If you have please let us know. I asked my guide that very question several time most recently about 2 weeks ago and was told 125 was the minimum # of points a new member could purchase.
Yes. I chatted with the guide today. I did not buy anything yet. They told me 125 min for new members for certain resorts and for perks. However, he also said you can buy lower point amounts as a new member at other resorts, but you do not get the perks.

Last edited:

Yes. I chatted with the guide today. They told me 125 min for new members for certain resorts and for perks. However, he also said you can buy lower point amounts as a new member at other resorts, but you do not get the perks.
[/Q
Yes. I chatted with the guide today. I did not buy anything yet. They told me 125 min for new members for certain resorts and for perks. However, he also said you can buy lower point amounts as a new member at other resorts, but you do not get the perks.
I just chatted with "Andrea" through the DVC website She advised me again that nothing as changed as far as new buyers and minimums (still 125) but did confirm that CC will be increasing in price on Thursday. We aren't interested in that resort so I didn't ask how much but believe it's been mentioned here as being a $5

I just chatted with "Andrea" through the DVC website She advised me again that nothing as changed as far as new buyers and minimums (still 125) but did confirm that CC will be increasing in price on Thursday. We aren't interested in that resort so I didn't ask how much but believe it's been mentioned here as being a $5

Have you actually purchased less than 125? If you have please let us know. I asked my guide that very question several time most recently about 2 weeks ago and was told 125 was the minimum # of points a new member could purchase.

I haven’t actually bought them, but I very clearly asked and he told me yes on the chat and then he emailed me his contact info. I screen shot the chat too for future reference if needed lol.

I chatted with Adarsh. Am I allowed to attach the screen shots? The new ones - CC and RIV do require 125 min for new members. However other resorts do not was my understanding.

I chatted with Adarsh. Am I allowed to attach the screen shots? The new ones - CC and RIV do require 125 min for new members. However other resorts do not was my understanding.
Ok, I did tell Andrea which resorts we were interested in which are all 'sold out resorts" I will check in again with my guide next week I'm not sure if screen shots are allowed or not. I don't disbelieve you at all. It seems not all guides are on the same page perhaps

Ok, I did tell Andrea which resorts we were interested in which are all 'sold out resorts" I will check in again with my guide next week I'm not sure if screen shots are allowed or not. I don't disbelieve you at all. It seems not all guides are on the same page perhaps
I haven’t decided to go direct or not. Maybe I can email him and ask about a specific “sold out” resort and see if I can get a quote for less than 125. The e-mail link he sent me does not allow you to enter less than 125 for any resort for estimated costs. I must’ve asked like ten different ways to be sure he was understanding what I was asking too.

I just emailed him to ask specifically about 50 or 60 points and total cost at AKL, SSR, or OKW. So we shall see what he says bc he knows I would be a new member.....

I did start another thread about this before I found this one and it does seem different people get different answers on this topic.

I just emailed him to ask specifically about 50 or 60 points and total cost at AKL, SSR, or OKW. So we shall see what he says bc he knows I would be a new member.....

I did start another thread about this before I found this one and it does seem different people get different answers on this topic.

Be aware, they will normally not get into specifics via email so you will most likely get a call.

Be aware, they will normally not get into specifics via email so you will most likely get a call.
This is true. Although My guide and I have conversed strictly via email for more than a year, I have never actually spoken to him but he usually gives me the information I am looking for, whether or not its what I want to hear is another thing. Someone from here recommended him because I was looking for one that would respond to emails. My original guide "George" would not give me any info at all via email or text. :)

Last edited:
I guess it's just very guide specific - my guide was great about emailing (she emailed me about two separate price increases in case I wanted to buy before they happened). Maybe it was because I told her that I had young kids and couldn't always easily talk on the phone. Ended up going resale but she was super nice!

I guess it's just very guide specific - my guide was great about emailing (she emailed me about two separate price increases in case I wanted to buy before they happened). Maybe it was because I told her that I had young kids and couldn't always easily talk on the phone. Ended up going resale but she was super nice!

I should clarify, I meant specifics that are out of the ordinary like getting them to get approval for things not published.

My guide will let me know of increases...but why I wanted to talk numbers and things, he was hesitant,

But, it does sound like some guides are more willing or they have changed practices in the past few years!

I should clarify, I meant specifics that are out of the ordinary like getting them to get approval for things not published.

My guide will let me know of increases...but why I wanted to talk numbers and things, he was hesitant,

But, it does sound like some guides are more willing or they have changed practices in the past few years!

This is true with my experience as well. My guide can email me price charts and incentives etc and can give me ballpark on closing costs, but when ready to finalize a contract, it would have to be over the phone to get the total number. Something to do with their policy. But I was able to piece together a # close to the total with the info she provided me so still super helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter