NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad we're using the extra 1000 SPG points per night to reserve a deluxe room with a balcony and a view. We didn't want to take the chance of getting an upgrade when we arrive in November. Better to be safe than sorry. From what it sounds, it's a plus to have a balcony. :woohoo: pirate:

WAIT! You can do the 1000 point upgrade before you get there? When I made our Nov. Ressie a couple of months ago I let them know I wanted to do that and they told me I couldn't until we arrived.. Should I call back??!!:confused3

Did you make your ressie through SPG? If so, then I would call them to change your room request to use the 1000 points. Because we are using our points to stay each night, I had to make our ressie through SPG and not the Dolphin. If you made your ressie directly with the Dolphin, I don't know how they handle that request. :wizard: pirate:

It was quite while ago that I faced that situation, so the memory is a bit foggy. But, I am remembering that when I called the Dolphin to make my ressies, they said they could only book an upgrade using points a few days before based upon availability and it would not be guaranteed until that time. That is why we decided to book the room we wanted and not worry about using points to get an upgrade or trying for a free upgrade. I will admit that I felt a moment of angst when the man checking into the hotel in the next line was comped a free upgrade to include a balcony, but who knows what his view was. Plus, just because it worked out for him doesn't mean it would have worked out for us. I am glad we decided to just go ahead and pay for the room we wanted. The accommodations are a big part of the vacation experience for me and I really wanted a balcony with an EPCOT view.
Lucy's Mom

I did book our room through SPG so I think I will give them a call. I plan to add another day anyhow. Thanks for your input everyone!:goodvibes

My understanding of the 1000 point upgrade is that you can only do it within 5 days of your trip. You HAVE to wait until 5 days prior to do so, or up to check in. They will not allow you to buy a points upgrade if the hotel is sold out.

We actually cancelled a reservation for a few weeks back at the Dolphin for this reason. We had booked a std room, planning on a points upgrade to a balcony. (We have always had an Epcot balcony room on prior trips) Both the S and D were sold out due to a large convention and that in itself made the upgrade impossible to guarantee. I confirmed this with both the hotel and multiple SPG c/s before cancelling. We chose to try somewhere new for this trip rather then have the Dolphin magic ruined for us. It was a great trip this time, but we will totally return to the Dolphin again, hopefully at a less busy time!

OK, Swan/Dolphin veterans and SPG point users, let's see if this newbie has it right. I know how to work things at Disney-owned resorts, but S/D is a different animal (well...two different animals:rotfl: ).

Our TA booked us a Standard View at the Swan for 5 nights in August at the Teacher's Rate. I have 1500 SPG points. So, if I keep that ressie, wait until 5 days before our arrival, and then call the SPG number, I could (assuming availability) get an upgrade to Lake View (the next step up on the rate scale) FOR MY WHOLE STAY? If it worked, that sounds like a mighty fine use of 1500 points, since the Teacher Rate for Lake View is $35 more per night than the Standard View.

On the other hand, if I wanted a balcony and were willing to play the odds, I would need to change my ressie now to a "Resort View" at the Teacher's Rate, and then call 5 days ahead and hope a "Resort View w/ Balcony" was available.

Do I have this right? And whether I do or don't, what can you tell me about the differences between a Standard View, Lake View, and Resort View? Thanks.

I think that the 1000 pt upgrade is per night, not per stay.

When we used the standard teacher view we looked out onto a roof! We didn't look out very much. The resort view must be a view of some part of the resort, like a garden. I'm really guessing because we have not stayed at that level. The view we just had was out onto the water with an EPCOT and Yacht Club view off one balcony and a Boardwalk view off the other balcony. It was fabulous! The balcony and the view made the stay magical for us!
Lucy's Mom

Our "resort view" faced the Epcot resort area; Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Clubs, etc. with Epcot being in the background.

Usually a courtyard view is of a garden, walkway between the two resorts, etc. :)

I did book our room through SPG so I think I will give them a call. I plan to add another day anyhow. Thanks for your input everyone!:goodvibes
Sarahsmom- What did you find out about the upgrade. I'm very interested in how it works.

The 1000 point upgrade was per stay up to, I think 5 nights, but upon checking the SPG website, it does read as per night. I would call to check, as I am certain that I was quoted in February that it was 1000 total for my 5 nights. I would call SPG to confirm for sure...

I have perviously used a cash and points award at the Dolphin (and only paid $60 per night) and also used the 50% off rack rate reward (about $220 a night) and both times my reservation was noted as balcony with resort view. Each time we had a fantastic east wing balcony Epcot view as seen here (taken March 06)

epcotview.jpg

The 1000 point upgrade was per stay up to, I think 5 nights, but upon checking the SPG website, it does read as per night. I would call to check, as I am certain that I was quoted in February that it was 1000 total for my 5 nights. I would call SPG to confirm for sure...

I have perviously used a cash and points award at the Dolphin (and only paid $60 per night) and also used the 50% off rack rate reward (about $220 a night) and both times my reservation was noted as balcony with resort view. Each time we had a fantastic east wing balcony Epcot view as seen here (taken March 06)

epcotview.jpg

Did you do the upgrade @ check-in, or before?

Oh Saraposh! We were just at the opposite end of your hallway in room 4015! Wasn't that view wonderful. I loved sitting on the balcony, feeling the breeze, watching and hearing the boats! We also loved watching the surrey pedalers try to make it up the hill and across the bridge! That would be a great view if you could get it for 1000 points.
Lucy's Mom

Did you do the upgrade @ check-in, or before?

I WOULD have done it at the 5 day mark... I have actually never done the 1000 point upgrade but was going to on my most recent trip. Upon learning that the hotel was totally sold out during my dates due to a huge convention, I called SPG to find out if a points upgrade (and a late check out) was possible if the hotel was filled. They told me it was not. Rather than riskt the disappointment of a std room/roof or parking lot view after our previous experiences, we decided to try CBR instead. It was fine, but I will totally go back to the Dolphin for our next stay.

The previous stays were 50% off rack rate rewards. I paid 50% of the rack rate of a balcony room... around $220p/n in March. That costs 1000 points for up to 5 nights at 50%. The other time, with the cash and point reward, the reservation jsut said balcony room. I did not request it.

Just back from a week long Swan stay. Well, I know you all are fans and I appreciate all the great info I got from this thread for planning, but we had a few problems. The worst was being overcharged for our room.

Be sure to have your ressie confirmation printed and with you and the RATE you were originally charged with you. AGAIN - and this has happened to us every trip - they way overcharged us at check out. I tried the front desk at 6 am on our check out day with little luck for about 1/2 hr and then had to leave to catch a 8:30 am flight out. Got a manager's business card, called when I got home and they refunded 1/4 of the money (It was over by $500+ and the refund was wrong anyway)......called DU and they told me to deal with accounting and then the wholesale dept. Have to make those calls Tues morning. I feel like cancelling my CC charge. The original ressie made thru DU was for an AP rate - Swan charged me RACK for 4 nts and AAA for 2. The first nt was booked with SPG points. DH will not stay there again for several other reasons including this problematic one. I am really nervous about how accounting will handle it. This trip is to be expensed and DH cannot turn in an expense report for a $300/nt room when everybody else that attended the conference is staying at other hotels and paying about $200/nt (what we were supposed to be charged). I am really hoping it will be resolved easily.

Other stays have been overcharged - we did the buy 3 nts, get 2 free a couple yrs ago- they charged us for all 5 nts.....they once charged us for TWO rooms when we only had one.....also one time had my ressie shifted by a day for the whole stay. Good thing I had my print out at that check in.

I don't know why we have been so unlucky with their accounting.:confused: Maybe others have too.:confused3

Lives4Disney :)

Maybe the whole points things depends on the perosn you talk to while booking? I just booked our upcoming Easter vacation at the Swan using points--11,000 per night. We need two beds, and requested a balcony. Our SPG rep said that the balcony request changes the rate from 10,000 to 11,000 points/night. Our confirmation sheet reads, "2 Queen beds, Deluxe Non-smoking room, Heavenly bed, Resort view with balcony..."

Hope this helps!:)

Lives4Disney, I'm sorry for your accounting woes, that has never happened to us at the S/D and we have quite a few stays under our belt now. I wonder why they keep messing it up on you guys like that? I'd be a little put off myself.

I hope you can get it all straightened out without anymore headaches! :)

Maybe the whole points things depends on the perosn you talk to while booking? I just booked our upcoming Easter vacation at the Swan using points--11,000 per night. We need two beds, and requested a balcony. Our SPG rep said that the balcony request changes the rate from 10,000 to 11,000 points/night. Our confirmation sheet reads, "2 Queen beds, Deluxe Non-smoking room, Heavenly bed, Resort view with balcony..."

Hope this helps!:)

The same is true for us. We're staying at the Dolphin in November. We have a deluxe room with a balcony and a view for 11,000 points per night. Plus, if you book 4 nights, the fifth night is free. So we're staying a total of 8 nights, but only using points for 7 nights. Not a bad deal. I also requested the outside east wing for a view of Epcot. :woohoo: :wizard: pirate:

OK, Swan/Dolphin veterans and SPG point users, let's see if this newbie has it right. I know how to work things at Disney-owned resorts, but S/D is a different animal (well...two different animals:rotfl: ).

Our TA booked us a Standard View at the Swan for 5 nights in August at the Teacher's Rate. I have 1500 SPG points. So, if I keep that ressie, wait until 5 days before our arrival, and then call the SPG number, I could (assuming availability) get an upgrade to Lake View (the next step up on the rate scale) FOR MY WHOLE STAY? If it worked, that sounds like a mighty fine use of 1500 points, since the Teacher Rate for Lake View is $35 more per night than the Standard View.

On the other hand, if I wanted a balcony and were willing to play the odds, I would need to change my ressie now to a "Resort View" at the Teacher's Rate, and then call 5 days ahead and hope a "Resort View w/ Balcony" was available.

Do I have this right? And whether I do or don't, what can you tell me about the differences between a Standard View, Lake View, and Resort View? Thanks.

it's 1000 points per night, not per stay. sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter