NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family will be heading back to Disney in
feb. 08. I am considering the Swan or Dolphin. I was just curious how the transportation to and from the parks is. Do they drop you right at the entrance like the other resorts or do you have to transfer from the TTC?

We will be going in December and trying to decide on the best Christmas theme and best location for a family - we will be there Christmas Week.

Yes, you get dropped off right at the entrance except for Epcot. You take a water taxi and that brings you to International Gateway. Once you go through the turnstiles, you can walk left or right and enter Futurworld after walking through a country or two.

Hi everyone - we just returned after 4 nights at the dolphin and 4 nights at BWV.

This was our 5th or 6th stay at swan/dolphin since 2003 and for the first time, we left truly overall disappointed. Basically, we'd stay there on points again, but we'd never pay cash to stay there over BWV (even considering the $$ difference).

Bottom line is - there were too many "issues" - everything EVENTUALLY got worked out - but it was too many things that took too many calls. 3 calls for a fridge that was requested on our reservation. Over an hour to get new bedding after DD threw up in bed (flu), and then they arrive without the bedding- after we'd called 2x to tell them COMPLETE bed change!, overcharged for parking, inconsistent housekeeping, etc.

The most disturbing was a $36 charge to have a box and two cases of water I ordered and had delivered to myself at the resort delivered to our room! THat's twice the cost of what I paid to mail it from PA!!!!!!

Basically, we just felt "nickled and dimed" - especially compared to our stay at BWV. Parking charge, fridge charge, charge to deliver box to room, hit or miss with allowing us to get tea in the refillable mug we purchased, VERY poor and overpriced breakfast at Picabu, unimpressive dinner at FRESH (although the character interaction was spectacular.) And we are still mourning the loss of the club level.

Overall, we had a good trip, and undoubtedly, it was a bit tainted from all 3 of us getting the flu at some point during the 8 days - but it was spread out and we were equally sick at the Dolphin as at BWV- so I think my comparison is fair.

We used to really, really enjoy our stays at the Swan - even moreso than BWV - but the last 3 trips (13 months), it has really started to feel so much more "conventiony" to us (especially after the remodel) - and DH and I are both "corporate types" perfectly comfortable in the "convention" atmopshere.

I don't want to alarm anyone who has reservations there - we didn't have any MAJOR problems - like I said, just a bunch of minor things that took too much effort to straighten out.

The other annoying thing - which was equally annoying at the boardwalk - was the number of bugs at the pool area - noticably worse than in years past. I'm sure both resorts were doing everythign they could - but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone headed down there in the next few weeks.

Sorry you got sick. Until our past few trips somebody in our family would get a stomach bug every time...never failed.

We were at the Swan 5/19 - 5/26 and you are not alone with your "issues"....we had our share and Guest Services (it's really nice to have that convenient button on the phone, lol) was polite and helpful, but didn't always follow up with our problems....We had a package delivered and a note at check in that it was there, but nobody anywhere could locate it. I SAW it sitting behind the concierge desk as we were walking out to go to Epcot. Hmm.....they supposedly tried for about an hr and had no luck. We waited an hour and gave up and left. Also, I ordered a beautiful basket to surprise DD at check. Nobody could find that, either. THEN, same time we "found" my Eddie Bauer package, I asked concierge about the gift basket. Guess what? It had been sitting there with them all afternoon. We spoke to front desk and concierge on the phone.:confused3 No idea what happened there. I wound up calling Sarah to see if it had been delivered. THEN, I requested turndown. They did it. (great) and called the next day to double check it had been done. YES - Great! Talked about 7 pm being a good time to continue. It didn't happen. Took a couple more calls to get turndown and it was sporadic. Then our toilet handle broke and wouldn't flush. Minibar NEVER restocked. TV went on the fritz. Housekeeping coming at 3 pm. Just several problems & inconveniences throughout the week. The worst at checkout at 6 am, I find that they didn't give me the AP rate I booked thru Dreamsunlimited (and I had my printout with the rate total to show them), but charged me RACK rate and couldn't fix it at the front desk. I am stressed out about getting my account credited and that will have to wait til I can HOPEFULLY get somebody in accounting to fix this mess.

I loved the location and the rate was supposed to be a great deal so I would give it another go, but DH said NO WAY. It was just one hassle daily after another with them and took time away from our vacation dealing with it. I agree about the nickle and diming, too. Had that on my EB package and gift basket. They didn't know how to ship DD's new doll home, either. Took a several tries and a LONG time after failed attempts to get somebody that knew how to do it. I didn't mind the conventions, either. We usually stay at the GF or CR and you see all types of visitors.

I am sorry our stay at the Swan wasn't fabulous, but we tried. I just HOPE I get my credit.:confused:

Lives4Disney :)

Wow, I can't believe we had the complete opposite experience of the two posters above! :confused3

Here's hoping your next WDW visits are much more enjoyable.

The more research I seem to do the more it seems like we should avoid the Swan and/or Dolphin for our first trip this Christmas and push for the WL, GF or Poly.

We are going Christmas week with a family of 6 - but our live seems to be focused on the youngest who will be 6 for the trip.

The more research I seem to do the more it seems like we should avoid the Swan and/or Dolphin for our first trip this Christmas and push for the WL, GF or Poly.

We are going Christmas week with a family of 6 - but our live seems to be focused on the youngest who will be 6 for the trip.

That's a decision only you can make for your family. You are right to research the DIS, but please remember that not everyone posts about their visits - good or bad! So you're only reading a smattering of opinions. Go with your gut, but don't be frightened off by what you read!

It's hard to gage just how tolerant other folks are compared to you. Some complain about the smallest things, and others don't complain until a safe falls on their heads!

I am always amazed at how different each experience can be at WDW...at both resorts AND restaurants. We just had our first stay at the Dolphin and loved it and can't wait to go back. You can see my signature, and also my screen name gives away my *favorite* resort....The WL. BUT...the last time we stayed there, it was so disappointing that DH and I discussed not staying there again. I have recommended the WL to many friends and I have had mixed reviews. I have a friend that stayed at AKL recently and had many issues with housekeeping and her overall stay was not magical at all, but when we stayed there we just had a perfect trip. I think that WDW (and yes, I know the Swalphin is not technically WDW) needs to work on consistency issues. It really is a shame, and I can see where if you have a bad experience somewhere, you are in no rush to go back there and take your chances with something as precious as a family vacation.

This is the third time I have heard about being charged a different rate than the rate that was booked. I am going to keep an eye out for that.

That will be your decision. Read all the FAQ threads, look at rates, look at pictures of resort rooms and grounds and make your decision.

I can sympathize because I was a little scared of a few bad reviews and was pretty nervous when I decided to jump in and try the Swan. You can look at some old threads of mine - I was nervous it wasn't Disney, nervous about other charges, etc. and I came back converted. I almost felt guilty I loved it so much when it wasn't "Disney". I loved the beds, the grounds, the location, the view, just everything. There are some irreplaceable things about having a Magic Kingdom view like at GF or Poly (or CR) and I'd love to have one sometime - I think any WDW lover should do it once if they can, but since I can have three nights at the Swan for one night with MK view, I wouldn't make it a habit. With a family of 6, you also have the challenge of getting 2 rooms, so everything is doubled. I wouldn't tell you what to choose, but since this thread is the official one for the Swan and Dolphin, I can only assume that you want to hear some positives about it. For info on other resorts, their individual threads will be much more helpful. I wish you and your children the best and hope you enjoy your trip! Christmas is a lovely time of year - Epcot and MK have tons of decorations and special events and the Spectacle of Lights at the Studios shouldn't be missed! :santa:

I'm sorry you had such a mess with billing, Lives4Disney. As a suggestion for those with upcoming stays - verify your room rate at check-in. You can also see your room charges on your room TV each day. It's easier to correct an error when it occurs than if you don't know about it until check-out.

I love all the feedback. Lots of information to digest. I like the Winderness Lounge from the pictures. One of our biggest considersations is transportation and park access. We have heard that only Disney Hotels are on the Disney Express Route and only those same hotels get the early hours and late stay. If this is true then it is probably a deal breaker for Dolphin / Swan.

Also we all seem to focus on my youngest daughter, so we are looking at the most "Disney" in our trip. She loves the princesses - in fact for her last birthday she had a princess party. My eldest daughter was on contract with Disney studios (did a few movies and TV shows), so she got some make up artists, a Cinderalla and we had princess tea party.

If they had a princess hotel that is where we would be.

I'm sorry you had such a mess with billing, Lives4Disney. As a suggestion for those with upcoming stays - verify your room rate at check-in. You can also see your room charges on your room TV each day. It's easier to correct an error when it occurs than if you don't know about it until check-out.

Thanks, Nancy.
That is very good advice. :) I Know DH was checking it on the TV peridically. He had no idea, though, about the actual TOTAL of the room rate that DU booked us and the room rates varied each nt.
That was our miscommunication.;) I book and plan the trips and he just goes, lol, although this one was for his conference and DD and I tagged along. I was the one that saw the mistake because I knew what we were supposed to be charged and had only the total room charge. DH is going to call their accounting today and try and get this fixed. I will let you all know how it turns out.

PS. Knelson.
...the GF is very princessy. princess: LOVE that place.:wizard: I have two of my own princesses;) and when we have a choice that's where we choose to stay.

THanks for the good advice, Nancy. I think that would apply at any hotel.:thumbsup2 I have just never had any rate changing at any other hotel, ever....just seems to happen to us at S/D.

......We have heard that only Disney Hotels are on the Disney Express Route and only those same hotels get the early hours and late stay.......
S/D does not participate in Magical Express from/to airport. S/D does have early and late EMH's.

Lives4Disney,

I'm so disheartened to hear of your troubles at the Swan. I recognize you from the GF thread and I know that's your favorite resort. I am trying out the Dolphin for the first time for a single night as an add-on "all about me" day after a week-long convention off-site. I had hoped to stay at the GF, but just couldn't justify the cost of $430 AAA rate for a Garden view for just me. I was just at the GF RPC in January with my family and I know I'm going to miss sitting on the balcony watching wishes. But I won't miss paying the $250 I'm saving on the single night.

The Dolphin AP rate is much easier to swallow ($189.50) plus the upgrade to resort view if available. I guess it's safe to assume your hubby will be back at the GF the next time:)

Here's hoping the Dolphin will be all I'm hoping it will be...clean, relaxing with good location for MGM/Epcot.

Lives4Disney,

I'm so disheartened to hear of your troubles at the Swan. I recognize you from the GF thread and I know that's your favorite resort. I am trying out the Dolphin for the first time for a single night as an add-on "all about me" day after a week-long convention off-site. I had hoped to stay at the GF, but just couldn't justify the cost of $430 AAA rate for a Garden view for just me. I was just at the GF RPC in January with my family and I know I'm going to miss sitting on the balcony watching wishes. But I won't miss paying the $250 I'm saving on the single night.

The Dolphin AP rate is much easier to swallow ($189.50) plus the upgrade to resort view if available. I guess it's safe to assume your hubby will be back at the GF the next time:)

Here's hoping the Dolphin will be all I'm hoping it will be...clean, relaxing with good location for MGM/Epcot.

Yay!!:cool1: Follow up!!! Bob from Dreams Unlimited called accounting before DH did and he had it fixed for us. I am so relieved. :flower3: Now we just need to get a "real" statement so DH can expense the stay.

Roryc,
I have stayed at both the S/D a couple times each before and had these billing issues every time so just verify your rate at check in. I have never had this problem at a Disney hotel or any other. I have had service issues at the WDW & other hotels I have stayed in, though - have had LOTS of visits and some are perfect stays, some have a couple problems, so that's not really too much of an issue with me I guess. I don't mean to dog on the S/D for the issues, although they happened to be plentiful this stay. :rolleyes:

Bob from DU told me they charged us for our "complimentary" SPG upgrade!!!:confused: That's the reason for the difference in price, it seems. At the front desk check in I asked if there were any upgrades available. I was told, "We have already upgraded you"....Great! Well, he typed and that room was not ready he said, so he typed & typed and said "Let me see what we have available now"....that's how we wound up in 233. I asked him at that time what the view was and he told me "Garden". Great again....I was happy to not have a parking lot view. We NEVER discussed a rate change or any point change as the first nt was booked with points. I didn't even have any idea that the category room they upgraded us to was resort view w/balcony - if I KNEW we were being charged for that view level, I would have asked for a much better room with a view, lol. Our room was on the second floor, faced trees and that's it. I could kind of see the canal to the BWI thru the trees.:confused3 It is a stretch to consider this a resort view. I figured our SPG upgrade was to a less desirable room in a higher level than traditional with a parking lot or roof view, which is a nice SPG perk if it works out.

Hope your stay is great, RoryC. Just bring a copy of your AP rate and verify it as Nancy suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter