New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Is anyone going to do a build thread? I know over on CC they have a couple of folks that seem to have some good contacts at the shipyards. Is there anyone here that has the ability to do this?

The purpose of this thread is to keep track of the new ships -- including building. The first page has links to the shipyard and webcam. If anyone else wants to provide links for the building process, I'll be glad to list them on page one.

Has it been discussed that once all the ships are out there will be no more Panama Canal cruises? I discussed this with several people on the WBPC and only one person seemed to think DCL made money on that itinerary. I honestly think the Wonder will be full time on the West Coast.

This!!!! I just got off of the WBPC myself and made it a point to go this year because I feel the same way about them putting an end to the PC cruises :3dglasses

EDIT to Add: the 2019 WB had just ove 2000 ( 2060 sticks in my head) people with about 2 to 3 hundred children

Last edited:
The purpose of this thread is to keep track of the new ships -- including building. The first page has links to the shipyard and webcam. If anyone else wants to provide links for the building process, I'll be glad to list them on page one.

I will keep on the lookout. Just didn’t know if anyone had contacts with workers to get some good pictures. If I catch any on social media I will add them to this thread once the building gets going.

Some just seem to be able to find pictures I can’t on other builds which makes you think they have good sources:)

I will keep on the lookout. Just didn’t know if anyone had contacts with workers to get some good pictures. If I catch any on social media I will add them to this thread once the building gets going.

Some just seem to be able to find pictures I can’t on other builds which makes you think they have good sources:)

I can't wait for them to start building -- I love to watch the webcam. But yes, pictures can also be posted and would add to the excitement. Thanks.

There was a member on these boards that would frequent mw and took some great pictures of the Dream class. Hopefully hell do it again

Miami currently has no plans to supply LNG to cruise ships. The LNG bunkering at sea is still in infancy, so the year-round Miami ship will most likely be a Dream class. A second ship will also sail from Miami in the winter - most likely one of the classics or another Dream class.

PC will get two of the three new ships for year-round sailings. The third new ship will probably sail from a number of ports, incl. seasonally from PC. It may spend the summer in Europe - all of Barcelona, Hamburg, and Rotterdam have excellent LNG infrastructure.

The new agreements with the ports are for a minimum number of passenger movements - not sailings. In Miami, Disney is guaranteeing 360,000 movements. If it goes ahead with 4- and 5-day Dream class itineraries year round, it will move ~280,000 passengers annually with one ship. The second seasonal ship for three months will get you the remainder.

I've looked at the different agreements that DCL has in place. with the exception of PC which is still being negotiated they all specify a ship size. Galvestons specifically says 2700 passenger minumum vessel, Miamis says 3500 minimum. That's in addition to number of sailings. Miami is also in talks with Disney on first right for a new terminal near terminal j or a suitable space on the other side if that area doesnt work out for development. It's in Miamis agreement that the ships would be doing 4/5s which is 2x a week. The gradual increase also accounts for higher traffic or movements. 100,000 passenger movements is 28 sailings. 14 weeks. Which is about what they are doing now.
360000 movements would be 52 sailings., which coincides with the new ships arrivals. Based on 3500 passenger count. Basically it's the same thing, just worded differently. Miamis also specifically says 2 large ships which means that the Magic class may make an appearance there form time to time, the 5 Dream and Tritons are the candidates for Miami homeporting. Miami hasnt decided yet on shoreside or waterside LNG but there going to do 1 of the 2 by 2022, and that was as of Jan of this year.

I've looked at the different agreements that DCL has in place. with the exception of PC which is still being negotiated they all specify a ship size. Galvestons specifically says 2700 passenger minumum vessel, Miamis says 3500 minimum. That's in addition to number of sailings. Miami is also in talks with Disney on first right for a new terminal near terminal j or a suitable space on the other side if that area doesnt work out for development. It's in Miamis agreement that the ships would be doing 4/5s which is 2x a week. The gradual increase also accounts for higher traffic or movements. 100,000 passenger movements is 28 sailings. 14 weeks. Which is about what they are doing now.
360000 movements would be 52 sailings., which coincides with the new ships arrivals. Based on 3500 passenger count. Basically it's the same thing, just worded differently. Miamis also specifically says 2 large ships which means that the Magic class may make an appearance there form time to time, the 5 Dream and Tritons are the candidates for Miami homeporting. Miami hasnt decided yet on shoreside or waterside LNG but there going to do 1 of the 2 by 2022, and that was as of Jan of this year.
I would be very surprised if Miami have anything LNG-related up and running by 2023. There is no provision for it in their master plan, and they have only now included an LNG discussion in port projections. Carnival moved its LNG ship to PC for that very reason. Cape Canaveral will store most of the east coast LNG to cater to SpaceX / Kennedy.

Like I said, based on the 4- and 5-night combo, one Dream class (or 3500+) ship won't get you 360,000 movements. And that's not 52 sailings either.

Currently, Magic is doing 28 sailings over 18 weeks (not 14), and that's still only 75,000 movements. Add the November/December sailings and two TAs for that 100,000 target. My estimate is, they will bring a Dream class down to Miami for seasonal sailings in 2021 to increase the number to 150,000.

This is unverified:

New ships will remain in PC (Bahamian/Caribbean/Disney Islands-some itineraries would include 1 or 2 Disney Islands). Dream or Fantasy spilt time between Miami/Galveston, Dream or Fantasy doing Europe/New York/Canada sailings, Wonder or Magic split time between Southern California/Vancouver. New Orleans would see some sailings during winter (Magic or Wonder).

This is unverified:

New ships will remain in PC (Bahamian/Caribbean/Disney Islands-some itineraries would include 1 or 2 Disney Islands). Dream or Fantasy spilt time between Miami/Galveston, Dream or Fantasy doing Europe/New York/Canada sailings, Wonder or Magic split time between Southern California/Vancouver. New Orleans would see some sailings during winter (Magic or Wonder).

Where did this info come from?

This is unverified:

My only question about all the info regarding the new ships not going to Europe is that I thought switching to LNG is in part because they aren't going to allow the non-LNG ships to sail in certain areas, especially Northern Europe. Which makes me wonder if they would end up sending that extra ship there in the summer.

I would be very surprised if Miami have anything LNG-related up and running by 2023. There is no provision for it in their master plan, and they have only now included an LNG discussion in port projections. Carnival moved its LNG ship to PC for that very reason. Cape Canaveral will store most of the east coast LNG to cater to SpaceX / Kennedy.

Like I said, based on the 4- and 5-night combo, one Dream class (or 3500+) ship won't get you 360,000 movements. And that's not 52 sailings either.

Currently, Magic is doing 28 sailings over 18 weeks (not 14), and that's still only 75,000 movements. Add the November/December sailings and two TAs for that 100,000 target. My estimate is, they will bring a Dream class down to Miami for seasonal sailings in 2021 to increase the number to 150,000.

PC is set to barge LNG in for the time being. Theres really no reason Miami cant either until they figure out what theyll do.

How are you calculating movement? Because I'm getting different numbers that match the number of sailings based on the existing ships.

I had assumed Galveston would get one of the new LNG ships - LNG prices in Galveston will be substantially cheaper than PC. But we'll see...

I had assumed Galveston would get one of the new LNG ships - LNG prices in Galveston will be substantially cheaper than PC. But we'll see...
Galvestons contract specifies a Magic class ship. PC and Miami both Dream class so I'd assume that the 5 big ships will be staying in Fl.

Galvestons contract specifies a Magic class ship. PC and Miami both Dream class so I'd assume that the 5 big ships will be staying in Fl.

Just a guess on my part, but I would think part of the plan with 7 ships would involve two ships doing Alaska cruises in summer. In order to do this at least one other ship would have to do Europe in summer.

My guess is two new ships cover Port Canaveral. One Dream class ship year round in Miami. One ship (either magic or dream class) permanently in the Pacific. Three floaters that cover Europe, gulf coast/ extra Miami & Port Canaveral ports, and double up Alaska in the summer.

Just a guess on my part, but I would think part of the plan with 7 ships would involve two ships doing Alaska cruises in summer. In order to do this at least one other ship would have to do Europe in summer.

My guess is two new ships cover Port Canaveral. One Dream class ship year round in Miami. One ship (either magic or dream class) permanently in the Pacific. Three floaters that cover Europe, gulf coast/ extra Miami & Port Canaveral ports, and double up Alaska in the summer.

Though possible PC has said Disney is basing 3 ships out of PC. 2 In Miami, which leaves the Magic class. It's possible that since the 2nd Miami ship and the 3rd PC ship are seasonal, it depends on the timing on when something would be free to double up Alaska.

This!!!! I just got off of the WBPC myself and made it a point to go this year because I feel the same way about them putting an end to the PC cruises :3dglasses

EDIT to Add: the 2019 WB had just ove 2000 ( 2060 sticks in my head) people with about 2 to 3 hundred children

Why would they end PC cruises?

Why would they end PC cruises?
The Panama Canal cruises are very expensive for the cruise line. While DCL never relases the actual # the guestimate is somewhere in the $700k price range for a crossing.

With the availability of new ships I could see them leaving one or 2 on the west coast and not doing the PC cruises. Not based on anythiing other than my own thought process. but I could see PC cruises becoming a thing of the past :3dglasses

The Panama Canal cruises are very expensive for the cruise line. While DCL never relases the actual # the guestimate is somewhere in the $700k price range for a crossing.

With the availability of new ships I could see them leaving one or 2 on the west coast and not doing the PC cruises. Not based on anythiing other than my own thought process. but I could see PC cruises becoming a thing of the past :3dglasses

Up until recently the most expensive cruise ship crossing was 461,000. However with a new set of locks and more crossings per day I dont think there's as many lotteries as there have been in the past.

Cruise ships are charged between 138 and 149 per berth to cross the canal which gets passed off to the cruisers. Most likely it's in the taxes section of the fare though I would t be surprised if it's part of the cabin price

On the WBPC last month Puckett estimated that DCL paid around $585,000 in tolls for the canal. He said he's tried to get DCL to tell him the amount but they won't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter