• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Never doing a split stay again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, we've done split stays and are not a fan just because we never feel like we get a chance to relax. However, the main reason your split didn't work was because of the sick child. If your child is prone to a sensitive stomach than your decision makes sense. We once waited for a room at AK until 5p and really what it came down to is my husband contacting the AK from PA to ask about the room = POOF: suddenly the room was ready.

We´ve done split stays and didn´t like it because of all the packing and unpacking again, you almost lose one day of your vacation. So no more split stays for us.

"... [A]s I walked around disney this last trip a good majority of the adults were sneezing, coughing, had red runny noses and none were wearing masks. ... "

"this is how people go to Disney, now and pre covid. I picked up the flu in dec 2019 off a Disney trip

anyone expecting Disney to be germ free is fooling themselves. People don’t pay $$$ a day and not go to Disney."
You made a good point about the lack of access to a hotel room during the check-out and check-in gap in a split stay. I understood.

Your observation about the prevalence of adults who were symptomatic is very concerning. I had not seen anyone comment before on the health condition of the crowds. This is pretty big and important news to many people. Thank you.

Last edited:
You made a good point about the lack of access to a hotel room during the check-out and check-in gap in a split stay. I understood.

Your observation about the prevalence of adults who were symptomatic is very concerning. I had not seen anyone comment before on the health condition of the crowds. This is pretty big and important news to many people. Thank you.
this trip occurred this week and yes there was no lack of people who were visibly ill. Lots of sneezes and coughs in lines. Were they ill or allergies who knows but when Is something not going around. To be clear this wasn’t dec/Jan illnesses when pretty much everyone looks like death but I always notice the cough or sneeze and die a little inside

we wore our mask during all inside lines and even outside when crowds became intense such as during rope drop. For the record mk rope drop is just dumb. Disney should let guests walk to rides and then wait at the rides for the park to open like Hollywood does. The line to rope drop was all the way back to the castle from the teacups entry point and no room to breath

our entire trip of four park days at best 1% of guests wore a mask. I was thankful to be wearing a mask during those sneezes and coughs from nearby guests

I plan to always wear a mask in lines now regardless of where covid nets out

I was more open to split stays if Disney was better at making sure rooms are ready by check-in time. Instead its them knocking for you to get out by 8:30am and then not having the next room ready by 6pm.

We were at Disney in March for 2 weeks. Didn’t see anyone with any signs of illness during our trip. I am not sure I would trust the comments of someone trying to justify why they took a sick child into to parks.

Doing a split stay is tough. We had given our luggage to bell services knowing it would be later that afternoon and by then we needed a change of clothing. Wish we thought that through. Will have to bring our luggage next time. I could not imagine having to wait for a room when sick, terrible thought

We were at Disney in March for 2 weeks. Didn’t see anyone with any signs of illness during our trip. I am not sure I would trust the comments of someone trying to justify why they took a sick child into to parks.
Particularly when they say it was a good majority of people. This would indicate well over 1/2 of the people there.

We were at Disney in March for 2 weeks. Didn’t see anyone with any signs of illness during our trip. I am not sure I would trust the comments of someone trying to justify why they took a sick child into
I created the post to present a reason why I won’t do split stays. Glad you walked away with the sick kid issue, who only had nausea and nothing more. Two thumbs up kind people

im 100% certain all the kind people attacking me have never gone on holiday or to work while feeling ill. Bastions of medical best practices

I 100% agree with you on not liking split stays because we always want that room to come back to.

That said, I was with you until you talked about your sick kid being taken into the park, but at the same time talked about wearing masks at all times when you felt crowded (and seemed annoyed others weren't). So, you are concerned with protecting yourself by wearing your masks in crowded spots but not worried about your child, who is exhibiting signs of a stomach bug, infecting others? Also, insinuating that over 1/2 the people in Disney were exhibiting signs of being sick is just utterly ridiculous.

I 100% agree with you on not liking split stays because we always want that room to come back to.

That said, I was with you until you talked about your sick kid being taken into the park, but at the same time talked about wearing masks at all times when you felt crowded (and seemed annoyed others weren't). So, you are concerned with protecting yourself by wearing your masks in crowded spots but not worried about your child, who is exhibiting signs of a stomach bug, infecting others? Also, insinuating that over 1/2 the people in Disney were exhibiting signs of being sick is just utterly ridiculous.
i should call Guinness as I bet my kid was the first kid to ever feel nausea while at Disney

I didn't say they were the first. It was the irony in your mask wearing vs taking a kid who didn't feel good to a park.

Heck, last time we were there the people behind us in the queue for Big Thunder had their kid throw up in a Disney Parks bag and then proceeded to ride the ride while holding the puke by their feet. At least you didn't go that far :-)

I’m done debating my parenting skills

i maintain my original point I shall forgo split stays in the event anyone including myself fall ill

it’s not uncommon for kids to become unwell and it’s not worth the stress to be homeless in exchange for trying different resorts

cautionary tale for anyone who considers a future split stay

I’m a big fan of split stays, my ideal trip now is 4-5 nights on monorail and 5 in boardwalk area. The headache of moving/not having a room does suck that day but in my mind is far outweighed by advantage of only stepping on a bus a handful of times at most (I really really hate buses lol)

What I have learned in my experience though is

1) call the hotel your moving to the day before (need to get actual number, not 1-800 general Disney number), let them know your a split stay and have kids. 3 out of 4 times it got me a room early.

2) I stay in my room pretty much until they kick me. I’ve asked for late check out everytime (and been told no lol) but no one has ever shown up at exactly 11am. I usually leave my room between 11:30-12. If bell services is backed up even better!

3) make a table service dinning reservation between so you have flexibility to cool off, less crowded bathrooms, plus a place to kill tim if you need to. My upcoming trip I have a space 220 at 1:55, I will hang out there at least 90 minutes I’m guessing and then the walk to my hotel should kill the remainder.

I think split stay really only works if you look at the transfer day as kind of a chill/waste day. If your looking to start early and hit parks hard I could for sure see it not being pleasant :(

Also really sorry your little one got sick, that’s never fun no matter what!

Wow. glad I read this thread. I often thought about doing a split stay. Now I'm convinced it will never happen. I like to "put down roots" especially on a long vacation. The thought of packing up half way through the trip gives me hives. I'll stay in one place.

Wow. glad I read this thread. I often thought about doing a split stay. Now I'm convinced it will never happen. I like to "put down roots" especially on a long vacation. The thought of packing up half way through the trip gives me hives. I'll stay in one place.
I think every Disney fan just has a different kryptonite so to speak lol.

My last non-split stay I realized I spent almost 25% of my trip (not counting time in the room) waiting for / riding on a bus. I realized there is nothing I despise more than Disney buses! Between the long waits after a full day and just missing the cut or getting the last standing room only seats trying to hold my son in one arm and the folded stroller in the other as I fall over people.

I think It’s weighing the inconvenience of having to pack and move (which is a huge inconvenience) against benefits of why you were splitting in the first place.

Oh wow, didn't think of that! I was hoping to do a split stay on my next visit but definitely have to rethink it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter