Never doing a split stay again

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the point of this post. Due to a split stay you have no where to go when someone gets sick and why I’ll never do a split stay again. It not worth the hassle or stress

some of the posts are interesting because as I walked around disney this last trip a good majority of the adults were sneezing, coughing, had red runny noses and none were wearing masks. My family at least wore a mask our entire trip, including before the tummy issue

this is how people go to Disney, now and pre covid. I picked up the flu in dec 2019 off a Disney trip

anyone expecting Disney to be germ free is fooling themselves. People don’t pay $$$ a day and not go to Disney. If Disney didn’t want sick people in the parks they need a policy to refund ticket prices, otherwise NO ONE will stay home when sick. Disney is too expensive and that’s too much money to lose over covid, the sniffles, stomach flu, the flu, Ebola etc. this is 100% of Disney’s making, but I again would have hung out in my room had we a room to hang in

as it turns out after a lunch stomach settled and there were zero incidents and was acting 100% normal
Yes, some people are sick, but the symptoms that you listed could just as easily be allergies. A lot of people have allergies, that cause those symptoms, but are most definitely are not contagious. I would never leave my house if that were the case. I tend to give those people the benefit of the doubt because people that are truly ill, look miserable. If someone sneezes or coughs, that is no indication of an illness.

Yes, some people are sick, but the symptoms that you listed could just as easily be allergies. A lot of people have allergies, that cause those symptoms, but are most definitely are not contagious. I would never leave my house if that were the case. I tend to give those people the benefit of the doubt because people that are truly ill, look miserable. If someone sneezes or coughs, that is no indication of an illness.
“If someone sneezes or coughs, that is no indication of an illness”

This is a factually incorrect statement.…

I assume you have to call the dining phone number in order to do this? I've never been able to do it online.
Yes. We called Disney and they transferred us to dining. The dining CM was really fantastic and took care of making the ADRs for the entire week. She could see we had consecutive stays.

It is no indication that they sneezed or coughed BECAUSE of an illness. People get dust up their noses or their get a tickle in their throat. You know exactly what I am talking about. No need to be pedantic.
we have all been in conference room with ”that” co worker who is sneezing, snot dripping down their face, coughing everywhere and when asked if they are ok they say it’s nothing just allergies.

Next day they are out of office with the flu

i used to roll my eyes every time someone says “it’s just allergies”

now I put on my mask and back out of the proverbial room

I really like to fully unpack when I visit -- our bags sit empty in a closet for the duration of the stay. We also get groceries and such.

The idea of having to pack everything up in the middle of my vacation, spend the day "homeless," and then having to unpack it all again elsewhere sounds horrible.

First time doing a split stay

started at poly and moved to akl

we are early birds and want to rope drop, we wake up at 5 so we can drive and drop off bags at akl As we have our car. Everything goes well and bell hop at akl is awesome

then kid starts to feel sick and of course we have no where to go. It’s either sit in lobby of akl or push through. Not having a hotel here was a massive black dot on a split stay and enough on its own to convince me split stays are a bad idea.

we Managed to make it through the day but it was close to being a total disaster as I walked through the park all day with a vomit bag in my pocket, got back to akl and by 4:20 our room still isn’t ready. I have to repeatedly ask front desk to get us a new room which they finally agree to do

if everything goes well a split stay seems like it can be a great way to enjoy dvc but if one thing goes south, not having a room is a massive problem

unfortunately this was one and done for us. Never doing a split stay and would add a massive disclaimer to anyone considering a split stay with kiddos.

one virus and it’s game over
I’m with you. We’ve done a few splits and find them a pain. We only do it for last minute when we can’t get a full week in a desired spot. Never by choice other than that.

I’m with you. We’ve done a few splits and find them a pain. We only do it for last minute when we can’t get a full week in a desired spot. Never by choice other than that.
If I do splits again (big if) it would be for this reason. Want to go for x days but can’t get x at same resort.

Another way that I did a split stay… hotel, then cruise, then hotel. not relaxing, but didn’t really feel the lack of room between each leg of the trip, due to travel to/from port. once was enough. I’m with the folks that like to unpack/pack once!

we have all been in conference room with ”that” co worker who is sneezing, snot dripping down their face, coughing everywhere and when asked if they are ok they say it’s nothing just allergies.

Next day they are out of office with the flu

i used to roll my eyes every time someone says “it’s just allergies”

now I put on my mask and back out of the proverbial room
Of course there are people like that. That is not the conversation. It was said posted that someone saw a bunch of people sneezing and coughing in the park and assumed that they were all sick. We all know that is not the case. Yes, there could be some sick people, but if you expect to remove someone just because they sneezed, that is beyond extreme.

I'm not reading through all these posts, but if you know you wake up and leave the room at 5am, then split stays will never be for you.

When we did one in August, we (also getting up early but more like 6:30) made that a park day. So we packed up the room the night before, did a check in the morning after getting ready, got some food, and then took a bus to the park. The resort moves the luggage for you so we didn't worry about that. Just took a change of clothes for the kids in the backpack and anything valuable or important (like a phone charger or medicine).

My point being that yes, being out of a room for 12 hours is terrible, but it didn't have to be if you had a park day planned and let bell services move the luggage. If you knew you had no plans that day (even if stomach bug was unforeseen obviously), then yes, getting to the new resort that early was a bad decision for that day.

I'm not reading through all these posts, but if you know you wake up and leave the room at 5am, then split stays will never be for you.

When we did one in August, we (also getting up early but more like 6:30) made that a park day. So we packed up the room the night before, did a check in the morning after getting ready, got some food, and then took a bus to the park. The resort moves the luggage for you so we didn't worry about that. Just took a change of clothes for the kids in the backpack and anything valuable or important (like a phone charger or medicine).

My point being that yes, being out of a room for 12 hours is terrible, but it didn't have to be if you had a park day planned and let bell services move the luggage. If you knew you had no plans that day (even if stomach bug was unforeseen obviously), then yes, getting to the new resort that early was a bad decision for that day.

it was a park day

We loved our first split stay at BLT and BCV. We live out of suitcase on vacation (ill never get unpacking everything personally) and drove so the move day was easy. We did a resort day, so was out of BLT around 1030ish after having a nice breakfast at contempo cafe. I had put in that we would be at beach club at 11am but obviously didnt expect a room then, just hoped for the best. Got a room when we got there after talking to the great CM at the front desk. Had we not gotten a room, had already planned for that as we had our swim stuff ready to go to just hang out at SAB all day.

Doing a park day on your swap day sounds like the worst idea to me. Also not having a car and doing a split stay also sounds like a bad idea to me.

Hopefully you get to do another one at some point and its a better experience. For our trip it was almost like having two separate vacations, loved the convenience of both hotels for parks proximity, and how different they were from each other.

It‘s the early start that caused the problems. A 5am start with Kids is just asking for problems. I bet a later start and you would have had a great day. You could have left your bags at bell services and collected your car at the poly later in the day. Split stays are fine with kids, it’s how you manage it.
BINGO! I am doing my first split stay in 2 weeks granted I am not travelling with children but I am making that my resort day chillin and no rush to do a park.

I've done two split stays and I'm not a big fan of them. Once we did it because we had a long trip and wanted to try both Poly and BC. The second time I rented points and added two days so had to do a separate resort due to availability. I despise packing and unpacking. I also like to do midday breaks so being homeless midday sucks. We don't like using the showers and changing rooms at the pool so that's not an option. So we basically truck through the parks midday and that's not really fun for us. Our first split stay our youngest was 9 and luckily we had nothing go wrong with illness or not feeling well.

Whenever someone posts a thread on if they should do a split stay with young kids I always bring up the fact of being homeless most of the day and what if something happens with the kids. Feeling yucky, needing a nap, overly tired, etc.

Next trip we are not doing a split stay. I may entertain a split stay if I go with just DH but this trip is DD16 and myself and she even requested no split stay. If I ever do a split stay again I will definitely make it a sleep in day, drop bags off with bell services at 11 am, do an ADR and hit Disney Springs or a park later in the afternoon. No more RD/full park day on moving day.

FTR I don't consider a kid with nausea who doesn't have a fever or isn't vomiting to be actually germ worthy "sick." It could have been slight dehydration, some kind of motion sickness, car sickness, etc. It's especially not worthy for a trip to urgent care or any type of doctor.

FTR I don't consider a kid with nausea who doesn't have a fever or isn't vomiting to be actually germ worthy "sick." It could have been slight dehydration, some kind of motion sickness, car sickness, etc. It's especially not worthy for a trip to urgent care or any type of doctor.
Exactly!

I used to get nauseated and would sometimes vomit from over-excitement as a child.

Not like anyone ever gets overstimulated at Disney...naw, never happens.

As for split stays, I think people are better advised to try a 1-2 night add-on to a longer stay to see how everybody in the family handles the homeless time between before attempting a half-and-half split.

Wow people on this Board are nasty. If anyone is so afraid of germs, I too would not suggest a Disney vacation. Maybe a National Park camping away from others. There are germs everywhere, everything we touch, every bus, every subway, It is life. The original person was frustrated with a split stay. I'm with them, rooms are ready too late to make this idea work. To expect people to stay in their homes or hotels for every sniffle or stomach bug is ridiculous. Life goes on, that's what we have immune systems for.

Exactly!

I used to get nauseated and would sometimes vomit from over-excitement as a child.

Not like anyone ever gets overstimulated at Disney...naw, never happens.

Let’s add the big change in diet for most kids on vacation. Extra sugar, fried foods, tons of carbs. Even I get queasy after a few days. It doesn’t mean I’m contagious.

We're getting off topic here, but I'm not ashamed to say that I agree with the OP in that, if myself or my kids were mildly sick, we would have likely gone to the parks as well. If someone was seriously ill, or tested positive for Covid it would be different, but I'm not about to dump many hundreds of dollars down the drain if one of us happens to have the sniffles.

We're getting off topic here, but I'm not ashamed to say that I agree with the OP in that, if myself or my kids were mildly sick, we would have likely gone to the parks as well. If someone was seriously ill, or tested positive for Covid it would be different, but I'm not about to dump many hundreds of dollars down the drain if one of us happens to have the sniffles.
and were you truly feeling ill during split stay move out/move in day where would you have gone

not a ton of choices right

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter