Never doing a split stay again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m done debating my parenting skills

i maintain my original point I shall forgo split stays in the event anyone including myself fall ill

it’s not uncommon for kids to become unwell and it’s not worth the stress to be homeless in exchange for trying different resorts

cautionary tale for anyone who considers a future split stay
I apologize for the internet. It's how it goes these days. Remember, everyone else is perfect and knows best. You and I can only dream of achieving such greatness.

With that out of the way, this is why I spent a premium on BCV points that expire in 2042. If you spend enough time at SAB, you meet lots of people that spent one or more nights at SSR or somewhere else because they couldn't get the room the whole time at BCV. That's definitely unnecessary hassle and wasted vacation time to me, and it is stressful to not have your private space, especially when you have the family with you. We've done "split stays" when other destinations are involved, but switching hotels at Disney mid-trip seems unnecessary considering we can just try a different one each trip if we wanted to. Obviously, as owners, we'll be back!

I’m done debating my parenting skills

i maintain my original point I shall forgo split stays in the event anyone including myself fall ill

it’s not uncommon for kids to become unwell and it’s not worth the stress to be homeless in exchange for trying different resorts

cautionary tale for anyone who considers a future split stay
I am terribly sorry if I am at fault for sparking a row by asking a question about OP’s observation of other symptomatic adults in the crowd. I was asking for my family’s benefit; not being critical of OP. I do leave it to OP as the parent to decide how to care for her child. I understand the difficulty the split stay caused in that OP did not have the option to stay in any room.

Some posters assumed I was too ignorant to evaluate the veracity of OP's anecdotal observations. (Like I expected she would stop and make a specific count of sick people in the crowd or I couldn't possibly believe anything she said. Ridiculous!) I didn't read her comment that way. Anyway, such a "majority" comment was insignificant. The fact that she decided to take her child to the park is also a red herring issue as to whether or not she observed numerous other symptomatic adults in the park. The observation I was interested in was the existence of the base fact that there were numerous symptomatic guests in the crowd. No one expects any high volume park to be germ free. But having been through an historical pandemic, the wellness of the crowds is of interest to those who might be traveling with family members with certain higher risk underlying health conditions. I knew Disney had stopped screening. My question was rational and OP’s observation was important. I understood OP and her point about split stays leaving her "homeless" for some hours. I also picked up on something she observed that was of particular interest to me. I think perhaps some posters, who were quick to belittle us, should exercise some thinking before posting and some kindness. That would be the remedy for this kerfuffle.

In the meantime, if someone has a split stay and a sick child maybe the parent could ask the resort that they are moving to to allow early check-in for a small fee? I understand late check-outs are generally denied, but in split stays with special needs early ones might be accommodated. Their housecleaning services do start very early. Some people leave pre-dawn for the airport. The resorts would likely have some rooms ready by normal check-out time. If they get sticky and say you have to pay for another whole day, well then that's that. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
I am terribly sorry if I am at fault for asking a question about your observation of other ill adults in the crowd. I was asking for my own benefit; not being critical of you. I know that sometimes kids can be nauseated or even puking, but if you try to get them to rest in bed, they are bouncing off the walls. There is no proof your child had something contagious. Therefore, I do leave it to you as the parent to decide how to handle that. I understand the difficulty the split stay caused in that you did not have the option to stay in the room even if you thought that would be preferred in an abundance of caution. In fact, the parks do have access to some modicum of medical consultation at their first aid stations had you needed that. So, I support you.

The attacks are unwarranted, both against nuhusky and myself. Some posters assumed I was too ignorant to evaluate the veracity of OP's anecdotal observations and advice from a parent who, in their uninformed opinion, would willy-nilly, without thought, haul a possibly contagious sick kid to the parks and make a bald, unsupported statement that the majority of the crowd was also sick. (Like I expected she would stop and make a specific count or I couldn't possibly believe anything she said. Ridiculous!) I didn't read her comment that way. Anyway, such a "majority" comment might have gone to the weight or veracity of the observation in how widespread it might be (a minor point at best). The observation I was interested in was the existence of the base fact that there were numerous symptomatic people in the crowd. I assure my attackers, I am not ignorant. I have a doctorate and worked well over 30 years in my field; working with facts, issues of veracity and whether evidence was trustworthy and reliable. I understood OP and her point about split stays leaving her "homeless" for some hours. I also picked up on something she observed that was of particular interest to me. So, in my take-away OP is not a bad mom and I am not ignorant. We both shared some important thoughts. I think perhaps some irritated posters should exercise some thinking before posting and kindness. That would be the remedy for this kerfuffle.

In the meantime, if you have a split stay, could you ask the resort that you are moving to to allow early check-in for a small fee? I understand late check-outs are generally denied, but early ones when you have a split stay and a small child might be accommodated. Their housecleaning services do start very early. Some people leave pre-dawn for the airport. They would likely have some rooms ready by normal check-out time. If they get sticky and say you have to pay for another whole day, well then that's that. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask.
the thing I find perplexing, what should we have done given we had no room

sat in the hotel lobby - then people would have complained about us spreading germs to hotel staff and guests

sat in a restaurant - then we would have spread germs to eating guests and wait staff

we literally had no good options because of the split stay

truly amazing response from some people, but yet Id bet good money had the shoe been on the other foot they would have done the exact same thing. But given how few people we saw wearing masks they might not have even worn their masks like we did

the thing I find perplexing, what should we have done given we had no room

sat in the hotel lobby - then people would have complained about us spreading germs to hotel staff and guests

sat in a restaurant - then we would have spread germs to eating guests and wait staff

we literally had no good options because of the split stay

truly amazing response from some people, but yet Id bet good money had the shoe been on the other foot they would have done the exact same thing. But given how few people we saw wearing masks they might not have even worn their masks like we did
Understood. You didn't have any good options and that was the wrinkle caused by the split stay. [Time to let it go though before we get them all riled up again.]

That’s the point of this post. Due to a split stay you have no where to go when someone gets sick and why I’ll never do a split stay again. It not worth the hassle or stress

some of the posts are interesting because as I walked around disney this last trip a good majority of the adults were sneezing, coughing, had red runny noses and none were wearing masks. My family at least wore a mask our entire trip, including before the tummy issue

this is how people go to Disney, now and pre covid. I picked up the flu in dec 2019 off a Disney trip

anyone expecting Disney to be germ free is fooling themselves. People don’t pay $$$ a day and not go to Disney. If Disney didn’t want sick people in the parks they need a policy to refund ticket prices, otherwise NO ONE will stay home when sick. Disney is too expensive and that’s too much money to lose over covid, the sniffles, stomach flu, the flu, Ebola etc. this is 100% of Disney’s making, but I again would have hung out in my room had we a room to hang in

as it turns out after a lunch stomach settled and there were zero incidents and was acting 100% normal
So glad to hear that your child got better during the day. Mom of 4 here - it would be rough with no where to go for sure. And glad to hear that it did not run through your whole family too!😷

One of the main reasons for us buying a Fixed Week was because we didn't want to have to be in a position that our only option was to do a split stay for one reason or another. I would dread the thought of packing-up all my crap multiple times and having to move everything - and wasting a decent number of vacation hours on that endeavor.

I didn't even consider the temporary "homeless" issue, so I appreciate the OP's perspective.

We've done a few split stays, the last one a few weeks ago had 3 resorts staying 3/4/3 nights poly/akv/bwv. I love being able to try out different resorts, their pools & restaurants, especially on a longer stay. I agree, that being roomless on the move day is a little inconvenient. We don't typically unpack, just rather set up our suitcases like open drawers in the room so there isn't too much to repack on move day other than our kitchen stuff and toiletries. As we left in the mornings, we dropped bags with bell services, including a bag of fridge stuff.

We had park days each of our move days and it worked out pretty nicely for us that our room was ready around the time we were ready to head back from the parks.

OP- Sounds like a rough transition. If this were me, I’d be so stressed! Glad your kiddo pulled through.

We are doing our first split stay this summer and decided to make our move day a pool/relax day. Our kids beg for more pool time every trip and we love to sit around and drink, chill & snack. Moving from a studio to 1BR so planning to wash all our dirty clothes when we check in to the larger room. Should make packing up easy when we just throw all our junk into the washer. I like the idea of a mid day reservation to eat somewhere and wait. We have that planned also. Appreciate everyone’s feedback on how to make this doable!

But I am not sure what we’d do if kids got sick, probably take care of my child best I could, beg the front desk for a quick room and hope no one judged us for having no where to go 🤷🏼‍♀️

As someone who loves the feeling of being unpacked, settled in, kitchen stocked, and comfortably ensconced in our room until the day we leave, I am about the biggest opponent of split stays there is. I love to try the different resorts, but instead of the massive hassle of moving midway through our stay, we will just stay at resort A for the whole of one trip and resort B for the whole of the next trip. And split stays screwing up the 60 day + length of stay for ADRs is yet another reason to avoid them.

Just split OKW and PVB and it wasn’t fun. Add the owners locker to the luggage move and it’s even worse. I need more PVB points so I can stay a week there. We are changing our August triple split to a week in a 1BR at OKW. As someone above said you feel like you lost a day.

We did a split stay last December and March, the Pop 1st then the Yacht club. One stay was great room ready and bags moved without issues. The later stay i Feel like we wasted most of our day waiting to check in and getting luggage. Not sure if I will do one again.
A few years ago my 18 yo daughter woke up sick and needed Time to recover. I called the Dolphin front desk and offered to pay to stay a few hours later as our split stay with the Beach club room was not ready. They let her stay in the room until 5 pm for free and our beach club room was ready by then. Doesn’t hurt to ask sometimes.

And split stays screwing up the 60 day + length of stay for ADRs is yet another reason to avoid them.
Actually, you can make ADRs for your entire vacation at 60 days, even if you are doing a split stay. We just did it in February. We stayed at Poly and BCV and were able to make ADRs for the entire trip at 60 days from the first day of our stay.

We have done split stays and also has a room switch more than a few times. I agree - too much hassle and a basically a whole day wasted. Also, very sorry your child wasn’t feeling great. Been there and had sick kids and been ill myself - either way, it makes the trip rough.

OP - maybe an option to think about next time, but would the first aid centres at the park have been an option for your kiddo to lie down for a bit? I haven’t personally spent a lot of time in any of them, but I think I remember seeing some rooms with a bed or cot that could be used if feeling unwell.

That being said, I love the split stays! I love a new room every few days and getting to be in different areas on property to minimize my commute time to the parks. However, for right now, it is only my partner and I travelling so much easier for a pair of adults to navigate then a family with young children. I find Disney makes switching resorts very easy with Bell Services. We plan a late breakfast/early lunch after check out time and to spend a couple hours in the park. Luckily, we’ve always had our room ready at or before 4 pm but generally try to plan to not get to our new resort until 5 pm. Enough time for a bit of a rest and then to head to dinner or to another park for the evening!

It's definitely a lot harder with kids. I used to do something like 2 days at one resort we'd never stayed at before then a week at one we knew we liked, but with the kids and making sure you have every little thing and then getting them to and from and sitting around if the room isn't ready and forgetting to pack the swimsuits in the backpack...

It's just too much. Maybe we'll go back to it when they're a bit older.

Actually, you can make ADRs for your entire vacation at 60 days, even if you are doing a split stay. We just did it in February. We stayed at Poly and BCV and were able to make ADRs for the entire trip at 60 days from the first day of our stay.
I assume you have to call the dining phone number in order to do this? I've never been able to do it online.

Reading OP, my first thought was that I would have entertained the idea of an urgent care clinic for a sick child. As a parent, I could not imagine dragging my sick child around a crowded and overstimulating theme park. How miserable for the child, let alone risking passing the infection to unsuspecting other children and adults. The “but everyone else is doing it” excuse does not pass the smell test. Nor shifting blame to lack of refunds. Yes split says are not great. I agree with you on that point. And we all know how it feels, to be judged by other parents for our parenting choices, for sure. posting on a public forum about taking a sick child to a park? Kinda walked right into that, no? Glad your child felt better later in the day. What a stressful experience all around, for your family, for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter