Neon glow party ?’s

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
UPDATE 11/1/19
I went to Walmart and found packs of 8 necklaces and packs of 8 for .49 a pack. Found one pack of 4 necklaces each was red, white and blue for .10(there was only one pack of those).
1st Haul
Bracelets 6 packs of 8 @.49 each =$2.94
Necklaces 5 packs of 4 @ .49 each =$2.45
Thick small sticks with loop for ribbon 2 packs of 25 $2.98each=$5.96
Necklaces 1 pack of 4 @ .10 each =$0.10

2nd Haul
Bracelets 1 pack of 40 @2.98 each =$2.98
Necklaces 4 packs of 25 @ $2.98 each=$11.92

88-Bracelets
124-necklaces
50-thick small glow sticks

Total $26.35

I think I might have gone overboard. I wonder if Walmart refunds clearance items. These were in party section. Hubby says I probably don’t need one 25 pack of 25 Necklaces & one pack of thick sticks and save $6.

Do I have enough or to many? Hubby thinks the older adults(30-65) probably won’t wear these glow stuff. I told him dd’s friends will (age 19-22)

Next, I need to find black light reactive balloons, streamers,tape, two black lights, plates, cups forks, spoons

Tablecloths , supplies for centerpieces.

Question should I go all out and buy the black light reactive plates, napkins, forks or just buy white and save the Money?

Hello. My DD wants to have a 21st neon glow party. It will be indoors due to cold weather. We plan on having family and some of her friends. I see a lot of ideas on Pinterest but

1. where do I buy all the cool things without breaking the bank?
2. What are some diy stuff I can do? A lot of Pinterest take me to party planners. I need budget but cool stuff
3. Any ideas or advice if you’ve even thrown one
4. What lightning do I need to make stuff glow
5. Can a party like this be budget friendly or will it cost me $$$
6. Do I need to buy special paper to glow in the dark or certain colors glow (with the special lighting)
7. Glow in the dark drinks?
Any advice or tips appreciated. If you have any party photos you’ve thrown with this theme please post😀. I have 2 months

Btw dd wants to make rubrics cube boxes, boom box card holder, mtv

I told dd it would be cool if we can some how decorate the bottom of the food or dessert table as a boombox.

Last edited:
You need UV or blacklight to make UV reactive things glow. The absolute cheapest way to make props for this is UV reactive paint. Luckily you're planning this around halloweentime and halloween lighting in a lot of stores includes blacklight bulbs or lights. I'd check there first. Buy a small battery operated UV light you can use to check things because even if something is bright white or neon there's no guarantee it will react and glow. I've got neon toys that are bland under UV and I've got ones that glow like the sun under it.

you can do this budget friendly but the lighting will be the most expensive part. I'd buy the lights, UV paints, some glowsticks, and neon food dye to color your snacks just to fit theme (Though the food dye might not glow.) I know some alcohols and Mt. dew might glow, but again, with a handheld light you could easily check things at the store :D

I'd also look up neon 80's patterns and designs for boombox themeing. I bet there's lots out there. It's really popular right now

You need UV or blacklight to make UV reactive things glow. The absolute cheapest way to make props for this is UV reactive paint. Luckily you're planning this around halloweentime and halloween lighting in a lot of stores includes blacklight bulbs or lights. I'd check there first. Buy a small battery operated UV light you can use to check things because even if something is bright white or neon there's no guarantee it will react and glow. I've got neon toys that are bland under UV and I've got ones that glow like the sun under it.

you can do this budget friendly but the lighting will be the most expensive part. I'd buy the lights, UV paints, some glowsticks, and neon food dye to color your snacks just to fit theme (Though the food dye might not glow.) I know some alcohols and Mt. dew might glow, but again, with a handheld light you could easily check things at the store :D

I'd also look up neon 80's patterns and designs for boombox themeing. I bet there's lots out there. It's really popular right now
Thanks for the tips and advice. I’m getting excited! I just need to start making a list of ideas and supplies.

Where can I buy black lights and the up lights? Will Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s carry these or specialty store?

Ebay for lights. Or splurge for led strip lights. LEDs will give you way more bang for your buck. Number one tip is to buy a uv flashlight off Ebay or amazon, then use it to test what glows, you will be surprised what neon stuff glows! Take it to the dollar store and see what you can find! Fluorescent paper and highlighters typically glow, I wouldnt bother trying to mak your food glow, Ive tried a ton of internet tricks without much luck!

Ebay for lights. Or splurge for led strip lights. LEDs will give you way more bang for your buck. Number one tip is to buy a uv flashlight off Ebay or amazon, then use it to test what glows, you will be surprised what neon stuff glows! Take it to the dollar store and see what you can find! Fluorescent paper and highlighters typically glow, I wouldnt bother trying to mak your food glow, Ive tried a ton of internet tricks without much luck!
Thanks for the info on the up flashlight. Good to know about the food glow. It will save me time not experimenting in glow food. Lol !

Thanks for the tips and advice. I’m getting excited! I just need to start making a list of ideas and supplies.

Where can I buy black lights and the up lights? Will Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s carry these or specialty store?
Like Meower said, ebay is good if you have time (Be careful ordering things from China that may take a month or more to arrive) but if you want them in person in my experience most stores will have UV lights usually in the Halloween departments. Home depot or Lowes may have them year round but I admit I've never checked but if anyone would it would be them!

I just finished planning my son's "music festival" wedding. Pinterest was my best friend, then my worst enemy. Keywords that helped me find sources and good DIY's were: Glow in the dark, Neon, Music Festival, Budget Glow Party ideas, and night time party DIY. (probably obvious, but wanted to share) Light up drinks - look up on pinterest "light up bar and glow drinks". Halloween is the perfect time to get stuff, especially Dollar Tree. Search DIY Dollar Tree Crafts for more ideas than you possibly need, lol! I found the key is to think outside of the box at Dollar tree! All of the lights and candles I needed I ordered from Amazon 3rd parties and all were great!

Plan on going to Walmart tomorrow for the up flash light and to price the black lights. I’ve been talking to hubby about some ideas and shared the great tips you all have been sharing 😀

I went to Walmart for the up flashlight but they were sold out. Hubby looked online and not in stock until Oct. 1 . Now he’s checking amazon

dollar store has glow sticks and black light light bulbs, craft stores have glow in the dark paint, halloween superstores have scads of stuff but if the bday is after halloween i would hit up the spirit halloween on-line store after (or day of) halloween to get bargains. light up drinks can be done with the led 'ice cubes'.

oriental trading company on-line is a cheap and great resource for bulk party stuff like this.

dollar store has glow sticks and black light light bulbs, craft stores have glow in the dark paint, halloween superstores have scads of stuff but if the bday is after halloween i would hit up the spirit halloween on-line store after (or day of) halloween to get bargains. light up drinks can be done with the led 'ice cubes'.

oriental trading company on-line is a cheap and great resource for bulk party stuff like this.
Yes, the party is after Halloween so hoping I find stuff on clearance.

With black lights shoukd I use black table cloths or white for the walls?

It depends. White might light up but it still might not. It depends on the composition of the cloth. I would think black cloths and then use glowing stuff to decorate so that the glowing stuff pops. :D

I went to Walmart and finally found an up flashlight. Two stores were out of stock and the 3rd store had it-yippee! It’s so cool! I played around with the light in my craft room and found papers and sticky note tabs that all glowed🎉

I have a cricut but my laptop messed up so I can’t use it. I do have an iPad but don’t know how to use it with my cricut. I need to figure out how to upload cool free fonts and sag to my iPad. I’m thinking I can use the cricut to make a lot of dots/circles or designs to stick into poster board and make cool designs.also want to make words, sayings and dd’s name in big letters in neon colors

To those that threw glow parties where did you find the best prices for neon/glow black light reactive cups, paper plates, balloons.

Trying to figure out some glow centerpieces. I was thinking some water gel beads and sticking a light in it. Dd said a glass vase or glass cube and stick a couple glow sticks in it but I think people will take the glow sticks so there goes the cute centerpieces.

I showed her a few pics and she liked the glow streamers. She wants balloons with those flickering lights. I’ll see if it’s budget cost or cheaper to buy glow in the dark balloons.

She liked the large boxes of Rubik’s cubes.

Hope you found your blacklights. I just bought an extra 48 inch one with bulb on clearance from Party City last night. Check the Halloween clearance!

Also I'd not bother with UV reactive plates and partyware unless you can find them cheap. I always find no one ever recalls if the plates are 'in theme' in a party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts