• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need to show drivers license for a return?????

It's pretty common around here to have to show your license to do a return or even a pick up. I was at the jewelry store since I'd lost one of the diamonds from my wedding ring.

A person came in to pick up her dropped off item that was repaired. She had the repair slip but not her ID - they wouldn't even pull the item out of the back without her ID. She got annoyed but went to her car to get it.
I was glad they insisted because otherwise anyone could pick up your item if you lost the repair slip and some stranger found it.
Yep people even complain when you ask for their id to pick up their kid from school. So I can imagine some would be put out to have to go get it for a return.

Yep people even complain when you ask for their id to pick up their kid from school. So I can imagine some would be put out to have to go get it for a return.

I've picked up my 1st graders from school early twice (signing out early) and only picked up a sick kid once in the last two years. I've never been asked for an ID. I was completely shocked the first time. I'm not sure if the people in the office recognized me from school events maybe or if you just asked for a child if they gave them to you!

I've picked up my 1st graders from school early twice (signing out early) and only picked up a sick kid once in the last two years. I've never been asked for an ID. I was completely shocked the first time. I'm not sure if the people in the office recognized me from school events maybe or if you just asked for a child if they gave them to you!
I just retired but had the duty of signing out kids who were picked up at the end of the day. As the year went on I recognized many of them but if I didn't I asked for ID. I sometimes got push back but often when that happened other parents in line were they vocal in their support saying they were glad we were careful. Not only do they have to show id but their name has to be in the approved list. In the office they always id unless they know a parent and their situation.

At my sons school I am never asked to show id. Most of them do know me but there was a safety audit and I volunteered to be interviewed by the agency conducting the audit. They asked if parents are asked to show id and I honestly replied no. I did discuss this with the principal afterwards so he knew to expect it. My sons school is a small private school so I guess that is why the atmosphere is more relaxed

Our school uses a hang tag system for the car line. So, you only go in or interact with someone when signing out early.

I was told by either a Kmart or a Walmart (cant remember) that they use your ID to track how many returns you have done in the past year. She went on to tell me that you are only allowed "so many" before they will deny you.

I was told by either a Kmart or a Walmart (cant remember) that they use your ID to track how many returns you have done in the past year. She went on to tell me that you are only allowed "so many" before they will deny you.

I work at target and this is true for us as well. However you can still exchange items for other items of equal or greater value with us. Not sure how others handle it.

15 years in Retail management... Like others have said fraud prevention... My favorite was when people would check the trash cans outside the store for receipts where people paid cash then go inside pull the same items off the shelf and walk up and return said items .... I also have seen the old item in a box many of times. What sucks is that for all of these it is the others customers who pay for it.

A lot of retailers are tied into a system called The Retail Equation. Tries to stop the dishonest people, which is only about 1% of all returns.

We had cases here in Texas that people would look for receipts in the parking lot and would take the receipt and get the item off the shelves and then go to customer service for a refund.

Similar thing happened to me recently, except I'm pretty sure I know who made the switcheroo. :(
I was at a baby shower and the hostess was showing off her brand new kitchenaid stand mixer and also trying to sell her much older, much inferior mixer. She talked up the new mixer so much I asked where she got hers and went to buy that one the very next day. Thankfully I peeked inside the box before purchasing, because I thought it might have been opened, although it wasn't super obvious. Imagine my surprise when I saw the exact model and color of old mixer the gal had been trying to sell the night before in the box from the exact model of new mixer she had. I guess I can't say 100% it was her since I didn't actually see who brought it back, but what are the odds? I was so disappointed.

I could share some doozie stories about ridiculous returns, and it's been years since I worked retail, I bet it's even worse now.
See in that case, it would probably worth reporting her and the store getting the cops involved. You have a pretty good circumstantial case. Not that I think your tacky friend should do 10 years of hard time or anything, but that is theft, plain and simple. Fraud could easily have been proven with her fingerprints. I know, that's probably overkill, but it really irks me that people pull this kind of crap.

Did you point out the switch to the people at the store?

Yes

See in that case, it would probably worth reporting her and the store getting the cops involved. You have a pretty good circumstantial case. Not that I think your tacky friend should do 10 years of hard time or anything, but that is theft, plain and simple. Fraud could easily have been proven with her fingerprints. I know, that's probably overkill, but it really irks me that people pull this kind of crap.

Well, I did let store employees know, and if it was the gal I think it was (an acquaintance, not a friend... just to clarify) the store was aware of the switch the same day the return happened, so I'm sure they had her information on file if they wanted to pursue further action. I have no idea what they did after I left, but that's their call.

When I used to work in Game in the UK we would have to take driving licences for trade ins for cash as it was a legal requirement. For returns you just have to get them to sign it, sometimes a post code too. But yea, as above, due to fraud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter