Need help from the professionals regarding use year.

DisneyRunner2009

DIS Veteran
Our travel plans would be after Thanksgiving, early December. Maybe end of February, March. We have gone in April, May. Would an April or June use year be better for us? Thank you for your experienced insight.

Aug/Sept/Oct would work well.

April/June is the opposite of what you want. The point is to be able to bank or modify by using your points early in your use year, not losing points when you can't modify a trip or bank. So, if you can't make this Thanksgiving, you just move it to Feb, still in the same UY, no problem.

I use October for a similar travel pattern.

I too am mostly Oct but we also have June. Just be aware that Oct is a difficult month to find as far as resales go...September too. We're Oct/Nov travelers now but will switch to Jan in a couple years. Our son and DIL like to make an additional trip in the spring so Oct pretty much covers all the bases for us! Travel plans change and it's nice to know you are able to switch dates or bank your points. Good for you for doing your homework!

:cheer2:

October banking deadline is May 31, so how often do you go in June and November? If it's sometimes November and rarely June, October UY is fine. If your post-Thanksgiving travel always begins in December and never in November, go with a December UY. That way you can also cover June trips.

If points are banked from 2019, what year do they need to be used up? 2020? 2021?
Banked 2019 moves into the 2020 UY. So a February 2019 banked has to be used by January 31, 2021. December 2020 banked has to be used by November 30, 2021. Everything else falls in between.

Depending on the month, I would assume low/limited value to any 2019 banked points in a contract. October and December would have marginal value, but considering timelines on resale early year months will be worth nothing, and even those late year months will run into availability concerns. They are not worth much if you cannot make a booking.

October banking deadline is May 31, so how often do you go in June and November? If it's sometimes November and rarely June, October UY is fine. If your post-Thanksgiving travel always begins in December and never in November, go with a December UY. That way you can also cover June trips.

Since trips need to be canceled at least 31 days in advance to avoid holding, June trips are still safe with an October UY and a banking deadline of May 31st since you’d be canceling by then anyway!

Consider UY like a Fiscal year. If you have an Oct UY, your points are good from Oct 1 until Sept 30. If you have a Jun UY, your points are good from June 1 until May 31. If you take a trip in May and need to cancel 31 days out, you are too late to bank your points and must use them before June 1. Not just book by June 1, but complete your trip by June 1.

I too am mostly Oct but we also have June. Just be aware that Oct is a difficult month to find as far as resales go...September too. We're Oct/Nov travelers now but will switch to Jan in a couple years. Our son and DIL like to make an additional trip in the spring so Oct pretty much covers all the bases for us! Travel plans change and it's nice to know you are able to switch dates or bank your points. Good for you for doing your homework!

:cheer2:
Could you please explain why October or September UY's are harder to find? What difference would this make? Would this affect the resale price of a contract? If I find 100 Points at a resort with an Oct UY would it be more expensive than a similar contract with a June UY?

Thanks.

Could you please explain why October or September UY's are harder to find? What difference would this make? Would this affect the resale price of a contract? If I find 100 Points at a resort with an Oct UY would it be more expensive than a similar contract with a June UY?

Thanks.

DVD doesn’t sell an equal number of points in every UY.

Not really sure how and why DVD decides it the way they do. For example, I believe June UY is the largest for BLT.

DVD doesn’t sell an equal number of points in every UY.

Not really sure how and why DVD decides it the way they do. For example, I believe June UY is the largest for BLT.

Now that´s new and very complicated all of the sudden. Still, thanks for your kind reply.

There is a pie chart somewhere on disboards that shows UY's for different resorts. That being said, don't let a smaller inventory discourage you. What is important is that you get a UY that works for you. UY shouldn't be relevant to pricing but it really depends on what is on the market overall.

I think it is much like choosing a neighborhood and then picking out your house. Go with what works and be patient (it's tough) until you find what you want. Good luck!

Thanks i<3 - was looking for that - I wonder if there is a more updated version somewhere ?

I don't think those charts matter that much. Sure, it's good to match up a contract or two, but that's not the end of the world if you can't.

When you get into more contracts than that (like I have), more than one UY can actually be an advantage. I care more about math than UY.

I don't think those charts matter that much. Sure, it's good to match up a contract or two, but that's not the end of the world if you can't.

When you get into more contracts than that (like I have), more than one UY can actually be an advantage. I care more about math than UY.
That's an interesting take on Use Year - We have been waiting, not so patiently, for an Small point October use year contract and have passed on many 'better' non same use year (Oct) contracts - but the more and more that I think about it - I think you are 100% correct - if I am doing an add on and plan on using the addon at the 11 month window to book, say BLT for 2 nights, then boo 3 Nights at SSR with my other contract, what do I really care if its the same use year.....because I don't plan on or ever need to combine the points for one larger vacation as I have plenty of points in my original SSR Oct contract.........am I thinking this correct ? If so, Use year doesn't matter and my bank account will be lighter sooner...... LOL

That's an interesting take on Use Year - We have been waiting, not so patiently, for an Small point October use year contract and have passed on many 'better' non same use year (Oct) contracts - but the more and more that I think about it - I think you are 100% correct - if I am doing an add on and plan on using the addon at the 11 month window to book, say BLT for 2 nights, then boo 3 Nights at SSR with my other contract, what do I really care if its the same use year.....because I don't plan on or ever need to combine the points for one larger vacation as I have plenty of points in my original SSR Oct contract.........am I thinking this correct ? If so, Use year doesn't matter and my bank account will be lighter sooner...... LOL

If the plan is to not combine, then having two UYs is not a big deal and can be a benefit.

I have Aug and Dec. It works well because i can use whichever membership works best for the time of travel, so I am always traveling in the first 8 months of the UY.

Each one has SSR points and then one has RIV and the other BLT. One new thing is that if you did ever want to combine, you can now use transferred points online.

Thanks i<3 - was looking for that - I wonder if there is a more updated version somewhere ?
While Disney is now able to reassign UY for direct purchase, I doubt they have done it sufficient for the charts for resorts like BLT to be inaccurate or not directionally accurate.

Quick question, I'm looking to buy in soon to take advantage of the incentives. Can I pick my own use year? And if we like to go in the late summer/early fall, whats a good use year? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter