Need help from the professionals regarding use year.

I am on the other end of the spectrum with UY.

I personally like having my last possible stay being 3 months from the UY start. So I stay in January but have a April UY. We will typically stay between September and December.

I like this setup because if I cancel my reservation on November 30th to bank my points (last day to do so) its roughly 45 days out from a January 15th reservation. I would know by then if I am going or not.

Its very unlikely if I canceled a reservation within 30 days and points went in to holding I would make a trip work anyways even if I had extra months. So I would likely rent out my existing reservation for a discount or just give it to someone who I know.

I understand why people want more time though.

Quick question, I'm looking to buy in soon to take advantage of the incentives. Can I pick my own use year? And if we like to go in the late summer/early fall, whats a good use year? Thanks!

You pick whatever UY you want really (they might push one a specific one but you should be able to choose).

Most people will say have your UY be the "earliest" you will travel and the furthest away from the last day you would travel. Late Summer would be the start so a June/July UY would likely be good (July UY is not a thing I don't believe though at most resorts).

Also outlined my alternative view above.

One other thing are you going to buy resale points in the future? Its important to note that certain resorts have more points in specific UY so its easier to find contracts. I wouldn't really change my UY based on it but just be aware.

I have decided use year really means nothing. The only thing is you want the same use year if you have multiple contracts.

We have August use year, and thought we would do trips in March. In reality, we have gone in March, April, May, June, September, November, and December.

Just keep an eye on your points and know how many you have to use each year, and bank by the date required. The month you do that really doesnt matter.

I have decided use year really means nothing. The only thing is you want the same use year if you have multiple contracts.

We have August use year, and thought we would do trips in March. In reality, we have gone in March, April, May, June, September, November, and December.

Just keep an eye on your points and know how many you have to use each year, and bank by the date required. The month you do that really doesnt matter.

Except, many owners who travel beyond banking deadline got caught this year when the resort closed.

in the end, DVCM made some exceptions, but they didn’t have to so I don’t necessarily agree that UY doesn’t matter, There are still some owners who lost points because of it.

Of course, no UY will work for it all, but being strategic if you know of times you are more likely to travel is a big benefit to consider.

I will argue that April sounds like a good UY for you. Banking deadline is November 30th, so you’d likely know if you were going to be cancelling your thanksgiving/December trips prior to that date due to holding rules. Leaves you time to cancel and bank. Also since you’d be traveling in April/May, that would be beginning of your UY leaving you lots of flexibility if your plans change

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter