Need counter service advice...

mistybuchanan

1st time to WDW & Our Honeymoon 1/6/07
OK all I need some Counter Service places that are really good for lunch. We are on the dining plan and want to use it to its full advantage...Here is what I need:

CS Lunch at AK or Epcot
CS Lunch at MGM
2 CS lunches at MK

Also can the counter service meals be used for breakfast at the food courts at POP?

Thanks so much you all have been such a help!!!

Misty

OK all I need some Counter Service places that are really good for lunch. We are on the dining plan and want to use it to its full advantage...Here is what I need:

CS Lunch at AK or Epcot
CS Lunch at MGM
2 CS lunches at MK

Also can the counter service meals be used for breakfast at the food courts at POP?

Misty

Yes...the POP food court is a CS location. For breakfast you get an entree (e.g., pancakes and sausage) and a beverage.

Here are my recommendations:
AK: Tusker House...and I advise to stay far away from Pizzafari. Probably the worst pizza I'd ever have.
Epcot: Any of the countries have counter service, so depending on your taste. I like China and UK especially.
MGM: I like the ABC Commisary a lot. I had a chicken curry or something similar this past trip and it was awesome.
MK: Casey's hot dogs, Columbia Harbor House

Our favorites:

AK- Flametree BBQ

EPCOT- Sunshine Seasons in the Land

MGM- I have never eaten a cs here

MK- Columbia Harbor House and Pecos Bills

I totally agree on Columbia Harbor House for Magic Kingdom. It was a CS highlight for me on my trip. Creative yet simple food (and at a decent price, not that it matters with the Dining Plan).

Flame Tree BBQ has lots of nice seating around the back. We enjoyed the nice view of EE and Mickey, Goofy, etc. on a boat in the lake!

Tusker House has the best CS food, in AK, in my opinion.

We always go to Pecos Bills at MK. There is PLENTY of seating. I think we'll try Columbia Harbor House next.

Sunshine Seasons in the Land at Epcot has by far the best selection and great food for a CS place. They have several counters spread in a semi-circle for grilled food, sandwiches, etc., and an amazing dessert counter - not the usual chocolate-mouse/cake/brownie-in-a-plastic-cup that most other places seem to have, but table-service types of desserts.

We've always liked Pecos Bill's and Pinnochio's at MK, I'd like to try the Columbia Harbour House this time.

UK (fish and chips) is my favorite CS in all the world! Mexico is also good.

MGM - ABC Commissary is good

AK - haven't eaten much here, but I didn't think the pizza at Pizzafari was bad. Not the best I've ever had, but not bad and the service was quick.

Epcot - UK if you like fish and chips!

AK - Flame Tree was ok, we plan to skip it next time and try Tusker House.

MGM - ABC Commisary was good.

MK - We like Cosmic Rays. Food court-ish, love rotisserie chicken.

Epcot - Any of the countries are a good choice, I found that the Sunshine Seasons had a good choice but it was too noisy and busy.

MGM - ABC Commisary was great! The CMs were very helpful and they let us "sample" some of the items on the menu.

AK - Flame Tree is good; however, if it's a hot day you may want to try Tusker House because they have AC.

MK - We love Pecos Bills because of the fixings bar and the Columbia Harbor House for the tuna, you can go upstairs to eat and it's quiet.

We haven't had a bad meal at Disney (LTT was very close). You may want to visit Allears.net to check out menus.

Epcot - Not crazy about china, to much like takeout at home (only home is better)
Do like Mexico - yummy stuff
UK - Fish and chips - (on my DH must do list for next month)
America is basic stuff, not really note worthy
France - The pastry shop has a pretty good ham and cheese croissant they heat up (had one of those in early December, hit the spot)
Haven't tried Morocci or Japan, but menu's look interesting

Then there is the Food Court in the land which has a plethora of choices.

AK - For us it is always Flame Tree. Love the chicken and the ribs.

MK - We usually go to to Cosmic Rays for 'breakfast' burgers - ok, it is a regular burger but they start serving like 10:30 in the morning. Excellant toppings bar included sauteed onions and mushrooms.

MGM - Usually don't do counter service here, 50's Prime Time is our favorite!

Have fun planning!

MK- Cosmic Rays- my DH loves the chicken & ribs combo and Pecos Bills- I love the onions & mushrooms on the fixins bar

AK- My kids vote for restaurantasaurus- but they love McD's anything :)
I like Tusker House myself.

Epcot- Chinese CS, Sunshine Seasons and Mexico (make sure you have a margarita with it)

Don't care for any at MGM

CS Lunch at AK or Epcot
CS Lunch at MGM
2 CS lunches at MK

Animal Kingdom - Tusker House

Epcot - So much to choose from! Stay away from Electric Umbrella, and the pizza over by Test Track, but everything else is good, including great reviews on the Sunshine Food Fair in the Land. Lots of ethnic choices around World Showcase. My favorite counter service places are Morocco, Japan, and Germany.

MGM - Only place I like is Backlot Express

Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbor House (sit upstairs) and Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (sit and watch the Sonny Eclipse show!)

I'm a big fan of Flame Tree at AK, love the chicken salad.

Epcot, I personally am not a fan of Moroccan food, but if you do like it I have never heard a bad review of Tangierine Cafe. I personally really like the mexican counter service as well as the Lotus Blossom Cafe, I will usually get the orange chicken bowl to go for Illuminations (if I haven't already picked up some schoolbread from Norway).

MGM, I really like Backlot Express - it was very quite when I went, in fact there where only two other tables fool, I also like the ABC Commisary, but it is always jam packed.

Magic Kingdom, I can't be much of a help as I've only had Pecos Bill's, but we love it because of the toppings bar.

We've liked Seasons food court (Epcot), ABC Commisary (MGM), and Tusker House (Animal Kingdom).

But for MK, we learned our lesson after a disappointing lunch in Cosmic Ray's: we monorailed over to the Poly and ate at Captain Cook's. What a difference! The food was better, the atmosphere quieter, and the crowds non-existent. That's what we'll be doing next time, too.

AK: Tusker House or Flame Tree.

Epcot: Sunshine Seasons at the Land for variety, and you can get awesome desserts there. Lots of choices in the World Showcase. Morocco is probably my favorite.

MGM: I like that place they call the Flatbread Grill. But they don't serve any flatbread, except the piece that is stuck into the Greek salad.

MK: Columbia Harbor House. I liked Cosmic Rays but it's been awhile since I have been there.

MK - liked the toppings bar at Pecos Bills
Epcot - fish and chips stand in UK and the chinese place (DW like the ginger ice cream but I thought it was terrible)
MGM - nothing that we have really liked yet
AK - DW liked Tusker House and I thought that Flame Tree was good....depends on your taste becaue Tusker House seemed like more of a meal while Flame Tree was more fast food.

Also, if you are at MK and have a hopper pass, you could always take a break and ride the monorail to one of the resorts. We stayed at Poly last time (prior to the remodel of Capt Jacks) and the food was ok. I would also assume the CR and GF would have a decent counter service. And at Epcot (or MGM) you could always take a walk or boat to the boardwalk area.

Our favorite CS at MK is Cosmic Rays

At AK, our favorite is Tusker House

We don't really have favorites at MGM or EPCOT though we have had decent meals at the Backlot Express and Pizza Planet at MGM and at Sunshine Seasons and the electric umbrella at EPCOT.

MK cosmic rays starlight cafe. you get moneys worth there. They have half a chicken, ribs, mashed potatoes, and a vegie. on one plate. This is on the dinning plan. DH and I shared. with the DDP you will get a dessert and drink too.
MGM pizza planet a pizza salad cookie and drink. Plenty to eat, kids could share that to.

CS Lunch at AK or Epcot
CS Lunch at MGM
2 CS lunches at MK

Misty

Misty -- first of all have a great honeymoon! My DH & I honeymooned at WDW 15 years ago. We love taking our family now and actually went on a trip just the two of us to celebrate 15 years in October.

Ok onto the counter service choices:
AK- We enjoy Pizzafari --- only we never order pizza. They make a decent chicken cesaer salad (DD 12 favorite) and DH I I like to share the italian sandwich there. We've tried Tusker House and Flame Tree and weren't impressed there. So now we always do Pizzafari if we take in a CS there.
EPCOT- We like the CS restaurant in the Land pavillion although it's been a while since we've eaten there. CS in Mexico is really yummy.
MGM- Haven't really found a great place for us here. We usually do the Fantasmic Priority Seating so we just snack there during the day.
MK- Columbia Harbour House is our family favorite. We also like Pecos Bills (just wish they still sold those waffle fries like they did when we were on our honeymoon!)

Have a great trip!:goodvibes

MK - Pecos Bill's and Columbia Harbour House

AK - Tusker House

Epcot - The bakery in France

MGM - ??????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter