Need 14 easy cheap delicious dinners

3"Mouse"keteers;25839884 said:
I would love to get your recipe for the bacon wrapped bbq chicken! Could you please send me a pm with it? Thanks!

Could you add me to the ever growing list? Thanks so much! :goodvibes

Thank you all for some wonderful suggestions!

Keep the great recipies coming.

Because it is so hot, Crockpot cooking is something I want to do more of. I'm really excited about:

Making my own sloppy joe sauce
Crockpot hot wings
Provolone Chicken
Groovy Chicken
Grandma's Mexican Lasagns
Cashew Chicken
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Seasoning
Crockpot Enchalidas
Poppy Seed Chicken.

I've also copied over some of your weekly/monthly menus. They look great!

What wonderful cooking talent we have here on DIS.

I do a LOT of grilling, and often stick to the same-ish combo:
Chicken or pork (marinated & grilled) with veggies and a salad. The basic marinade is oil/Italian dressing and Mrs. Dash. If I'm getting "fancy", I use equal parts oil, italian dressing, OJ & white/pink wine, with other seasonings (rosemary, mrs. dash, garlic, italian seasonings, or any combination of the above.) When you marinate it for 4 hours or more, the chicken is juicy and flavorful!

Other ideas:
- baked chicken chimichanga (tortillas, chopped cooked chicken, salsa & cheese. combine last 3 ingredients, put into tortilla & wrap, then bake at 400 for 15 minutes.)
- chicken pot pie - chopped cooked chicken, bag of frozen mixed veggies, can of chicken gravy (or 2), pie crust. Mix first 3 ingredients, then put into pie pan w/ bottom pie crust (uncooked), put top on, cook for 30-40 minutes at 350. (I make individual pies, so it takes longer to prep, less time to cook.)
- chicken stir fry - cook chopped chicken (bigger chunks), microwave broccoli til just tender. Mix water, soy sauce, worstershire sauce, garlic and corn starch. Remove chicken from pan, add sauce, and stir 'til thickened, then add back in chicken and broccoli, mix to coat, cook a minute more to warm through, and serve (with cooked rice if you like.)

A GREAT recipe site I use is www.recipezaar.com. They have good ideas.

Do you make your German Potato Salad with Bacon & Bacon Grease?

That is how I make mine. No written receipe sorry.
Sautee up diced bacon and keep grease (onion if you like)
. In a cup I mix an egg, flour and equal parts vinegar and sugar. I make a lot so it is heaping 2/3 cups of each ( I use a tad less vinegar and tade more sugar then grandma did)
To thhe bacon grease I add water eyeballing about 2 cups, then add the eggs mixture. Cook this until creamy and tick. Add more water if needed. salt/pepper to taste if desired.

The potatoes I use to cook unpeeled. Now I peel and dice to size. Drain well and add to the pot mixture.

I use this dressing over lettuce and onion salad too.

My family love the chichen bones breast or tenders I buy on sale or I get the huge bag frozen from SAM's club.
Lighty flour I shake in a bag with my spices; I use various things to fry in. BBQ sause, Olive oil and butter pads just to wet pan; or I marinate the chicken and let it cook in that in oven or pan.
I have used a coupon to buy wing sauce or make my own and use this for the chicken too cook and place on top of the salad with lite rach or Blue cheese dressing.

Then I add a pot of rice ( I have a rice maker) and to this add cook veg's my family like broccoli, or if time is short, canned anything.

To perk up veg's I use French cut string beans, drain. Add to a pan with equal tbls of vinegar and sugar. If I have two strips of bacon I dice and fry first, if not I add Baco's.

I do watch the fat and eggs, but for difference in meals I just cut the fat, used the butter alternitives, pam's.

Plus a strip or two of Bacon for the entire meal of veg's is not as bad as the portions we would eat at a breakfast.

I also use turkey bacon too...
I have Germ/ PA DUtch grand parents and other side the PolishGrandma.
Pierogi, Kielbosi, etc. German the pork and saukraut and salads.

I also make lazy perogi with lasagna noodles layered ith mashed potatoes made with buter and onions top with another layer of noodles then cheeder cheese or any cheese I have.

I also have a bread maker, I make anything wit leftovr s in it. I had two banana's last week and handful of walnuts, I use honey instead of the sugar, Applesauce instead of oils.

ONe night once in the while we have breakfast for dinner. This is pancakes with applesauce instead of oil YUMMY light and fluffy! with turkey bacon or oham other meat we have, including real bacon or canadian for a real treat (on sale).

Meatloaf, mix with applesauce, I bake with a hardboild egg in the meat somewhere, everyone love to be the first to spot it in thier slice.

We Grill in summer, marinate with anything on the dorr of fridge.
Can of beans I keep elbow mac or bow ties around. Also Kraft mac' N cheese is so cheap.

I get the frozen Gnocci's, once a year make real ones.

I buy dry beans, Navy, split peas, use left over ham or sautee bacon, chop onions, any fresh vegs in fridge, I pre soak the beans in the AM or ini fridge over night , THe recipe is on the bag. Then add anythig I love to cook with spice wise, to just sea salt and pepper.

Homemade pizza with pre made square crust, can of sauce for each pie, big bag of cheese topping, pepperoni if you like it.

I also use the Lite Mayo, no one noticed the difference the salads.

I would like to find more substitutes for Egg's. butters and oils in meals beside the applesauce and low fat contents I use.

Any real finds for taste and use in meals out there?
di

PS any spinich salads receipes out there, Fresh? Or similar type salads. I love Ceasar salads too for the meal w/chicken on top.

Anyone have a delicious recipe for homemade sloppy joes??

i know several people have given recipes, but i just wanted to add that you can use leftover tomato sauce instead of ketchup.

i don't have a recipe-- i just mix it up until it looks/smells/tastes right. i brown up the meat and a little green pepper and onion with salt, pepper, and garlic. then i add the sauce, brown sugar, brown mustard. i keep adjusting the amounts of each and adding any spices until it's good.

i actually think that a cup or so of sauce (i make my own) might be cheaper than the same amount of ketchup, so this is a budget friendly tip too-- and i usually wind up throwing the sauce away if i don't use it for this or strombolis.

This is the recipe I got with my crockpot. It is so good, I only make it once or so a year....it almost never makes it out of the pot, we stand around the pot and eat it while it's cooking! It is SO good. And you can cut back on the calories by using evap. skim milk and low fat cheese.

Macaroni and Cheese for Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked macaroni
1 tbs. butter or margarine, melted
2 cups evaporated milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions:
Add ingredients to stoneware of Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker. Cook on High for 2 to 3 hours, stirring twice.

I am going to try this! I have been looking for something like this. Now does anyone know of any good low fat baked Mac & Cheese recipes???

OT- I just discovered you can print threads! I was trying to copy and paste posts and started looking at the thread tools. The print option is really cool! I've been here longer than 2004 and didn't know that till now. :blush:

It's amazing how much is available and how little I know how to use (cell phone, camera, computer). I know the basics and I'm happy. Then you discover what you could've been doing and it's like, "Wow, I could've had a V-8!". :laughing: I seriously need to get with the program on technology!

veggie stir fry is a great one!! rice is cheap. veggies aren't too bad if you're buying for 4 people. you could make a whole stir fry dish for all 4 for under $10. not only is it yummy but the veggies give you a lot of nutrients.

I forgot some.

When I make sloppy joes, I make a double batch. With the leftovers, I make burritos. I add a can of light red kidney beans rinsed and drained to the extra sloppy joe mix. Stir the mixture well, put a few tablespoons down the center of a tortilla, wrap and put a slice of American cheese on top. Microwave for about 40-45 seconds each. Easy and so good!

Have you guys tried Taquitos? They are great in a pinch! We like the chicken and cheese ones by El Monterey. Easy, just heat in the microwave, portable. Add fruit and veggie tray and it's dinner! :)

Here is a list of our favorites:
beef stroganoff
chicken cordon bleu
tacos
crock pot chicken
tacos or anything mexican
chicken curry - yummy and cheap!
salad with beef or chx on top

tonigh DH treated me to spinich and bleu cheese stuffed chicken breasts. yummy!

a couple of inexpensive yummy side dishes we like.....

cooked drained cooled elbow mac or any pasta on hand, frozen sweet peas (i cook them and then run under cold water), mayo, salt and pepper.....mix in a bowl, serve chilled

good with BBQ chicken or dogs and burgers

cooked egg noodles, minced garlic, butter, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper mix in a pot, serve warm

good with roast beef, steak tips

Wow!! :banana: Everyone has great tasty sounding dishes on here. Thanks for sharing. A few of our family favorites are:

Cheeseburger Pie
-- very easy made with browned ground beef, chopped onion, cheese and bisquick.

Fiesta potato casserole ( not sure if name is correct )
-- made with Augratan potatoes (from the box), ground beef, cheese, crushed tortilla chips and I add salsa to mine. LOVE IT, and my son eats it and he is very picky.

Keep posting more tasty dishes.

WOW! Great ideas....thanks! Our quick favorite that we eat at least once a week is Chili Mac. No real recipe, but..

Cook Macaroni

Brown ground beef
then add
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
dried onion, garlic powder, and chili powder
add macaroni to skillet
heat though

I usually serve with a salad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter