My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

We can blame Chapek all we want but we also have to give some of the blame to the consumer. The consumer that still pays and forks over money for all the extras. In a way it’s the sense of entitlement that people have where if you have the money to buy extra you are entitled to more. Is capitalism at its evil
I could pay the extra but for me…not a good value.

Actually, it's funny you should say that.

When I was last in Vegas, it struck me how magical it was. Yah, it was phoney, but it was FUN phoney! From the fountain shows, gondola rides, 5 million high profile shows to its whimsey (think atrium in the Bellagio) and the amazing theming of the place, it kinda dawned on my that for funs, it was a competitor to Disney!

View attachment 681456
I'm not a fan of Las Vegas at all. If you walk the strip from the Wynn to the MGM, you feel like you're walking from high income down to low income. It's ridiculous.

The recent Elvis movie also made me like it even less.

I'd rather spend a day in Yosemite Valley. But we all have different tastes.

Now, there is a Star Trek convention that I want to go to in Vegas mainly because I have been watching the new series. However, it's in Las Vegas, and it's by Creation. Two things I really don't like.

The sad thing is, it didn't all use to be like that. Walt was a true dreamer! If you need proof for that, try his visions for EPCOT...
I saw a piece on his visions for Epcot, and you are right in my opinion. He was a visionary and his ideas while idealistic, could still be the wave of the future considering what's happening in our economy, the way we live and work and travel. He was about family and community and wanted it reflected in "the most magical place on earth." Well, times have certainly changed and profit seems to take the lead these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a Disney fan because of all the family dreams we have together, so this still holds true for me and my family. I'm so sorry the dream has died for some of you, so sorry indeed.pixiedust:

Thought of this thread when I saw this tweet:

My first thought was that whomever came up with this idea must've recently worked for WDW.
From NY Post:

"In South Korea, the UK and other markets, BMW is also selling subscriptions for other vehicle features.
Car owners will have to pay $12 per month to use their heated steering wheels and $42 a month for access to adaptive cruise control.

Owners who want to connect their iPhones to their cars through Apple’s CarPlay feature will have to pay a one-time fee of $265. And a feature that switches high beam lights on and off in response to oncoming traffic sells for $12 per month."

From NY Post:

"In South Korea, the UK and other markets, BMW is also selling subscriptions for other vehicle features.
Car owners will have to pay $12 per month to use their heated steering wheels and $42 a month for access to adaptive cruise control.

Owners who want to connect their iPhones to their cars through Apple’s CarPlay feature will have to pay a one-time fee of $265. And a feature that switches high beam lights on and off in response to oncoming traffic sells for $12 per month."
Another reason to not buy a BMW.

Boy it’s interesting to see all the comments that I have thought or said in the last ten years. We have been going to Disney for 40 years. But We actually included a jaunt to universal studios Fla. this year and we’re incredibly surprised by the free Express pass. Rode many more rides than at Disney because of it. We have been to universal before but this was easily our best visit. And now they are adding another park! Disney better watch out! Their number one park status is in jeopardy

Disney made some bad CR choices ….

Let’s see if they can I unring a bell

Last edited:
It used to be I would get excited when my wife said let’s take the kids to Walt Disney World this year. I would frantically start my research using websites and spreadsheets to estimate the costs.
Today it’s impossible. It is too varying and complicated to get an actuate cost. And why? Too much has disappeared. Gone is the transportation from MCO, tickets that don’t expire,
and now based on the time of year, free parking, room rates with only four ‘seasons’, now seven, and not charging extra for weekends, free fast passes where you can do a least something.

But I don’t blame Disney executives for this, I blame business schools for teaching the American Greed Technology where establishing as many revenue streams as possible is the thing to do.

I do understand that some guests prefer to stay at higher end resorts as compared to the All Stars, great, but the parks should be equal for all.
Having better resources gives one the ability to do more just by paying for it. And those that can’t, don’t.

In the coming months I will be reevaluating the meaning of ‘Magic’.
I am too invested in my relationship with WDW to divorce her totally, but I am in agreement with your insights. I am in the Intermodal Transportation business and we have seen a trend towards the "charging for everything" model. The more revenue streams the better it seems. This might work well corporation to corporation as we can typically build these things back into our pricing, but I believe they need to reevaluate this model at WDW. They have to have long term fans that frequent their products annually. They cannot count on people making there once in a lifetime trips to the Magic. And they are starting to lose us. The value added things they used to offer WAS the MAGIC for me. FastPasses that were free, Magical Express, free Magic Bands and I'm sure I'm missing some things. It would not surprise to see then introduce bus tokens!

I am too invested in my relationship with WDW to divorce her totally, but I am in agreement with your insights. I am in the Intermodal Transportation business and we have seen a trend towards the "charging for everything" model. The more revenue streams the better it seems. This might work well corporation to corporation as we can typically build these things back into our pricing, but I believe they need to reevaluate this model at WDW. They have to have long term fans that frequent their products annually. They cannot count on people making there once in a lifetime trips to the Magic. And they are starting to lose us. The value added things they used to offer WAS the MAGIC for me. FastPasses that were free, Magical Express, free Magic Bands and I'm sure I'm missing some things. It would not surprise to see then introduce bus tokens!
Same. I wouldn't be on this forum if I was divorced. I'm surprised at how many regular posters there are on this forum have divorced years ago. When I break from something it's done and I move on.

The sad thing is, it didn't all use to be like that. Walt was a true dreamer! If you need proof for that, try his visions for EPCOT...
Walt's vision for Epcot, behind all the glitz and futurism was a fascist dictatorship.

1. No one would actually own their home. Think about that. The corporation owns everything, even down to the very house you live in.
2. No one would get a vote on how the community was run.
3. No retirees.
4. Residents would be subject to surveillance and authorities could enter their homes without consent.
5. No unions.

Walt's dream of EPCOT wouldn't have been a utopia. It would have been a nightmare.

I do understand that some guests prefer to stay at higher end resorts as compared to the All Stars, great, but the parks should be equal for all.
Having better resources gives one the ability to do more just by paying for it. And those that can’t, don’t.

So when you say "equal for all" what do you mean by that? Do you mean that every single CM would know sign language. That braille would be listed for every person with vision impairment. That every ride would be accessible for anyone of size. That people with disABILITIES would be given an interpreter or attendant for free.

Or do you mean, "I used to fall under the 'able to do everything at Disney' umbrella", and now you don't. Now you're sitting with people alienated by inaccessibility and you're salty about it.

And here in lies the problem, IMO. For a family of 4 going on a 5 day trip that is an extra $400. That is a lot of money for something that used to be free.

Did you know in Turkey when someone passes away their burial and funeral are free. Homemakers receive stipends for retirement even if they never worked outside the home and after a certain age public transportation is free.

Do you know in the UK new mothers receive a free baby box so all children start out life with the same base items.

A lot of people in the US got used to the hale and hearty middle class. They got used to being able to afford and access almost anything they wanted.

People in the lower class have spent decades taking family vacations in an RV to Yosemite. People with disABILITIES or those of size have spent decades wondering if they'll be able to enjoy themselves in the same space that you've been inhabiting, oblivious to the fact that nothing has been or is equal.

Welcome to this happy place of being disenfranchised. Welcome.

I wouldn't be on this forum if I was divorced. I'm surprised at how many regular posters there are on this forum have divorced years ago. When I break from something it's done and I move on.

I've only read first post and the recent stuff since the thread was revived, but I know that even though I initially found this site while planning a Disney trip, I now spend much more time on the community board. I have friends here I wouldn't want to stop socializing with even if I stopped going to WDW.

That said, I haven't stopped, just slowed down. I get the "slow divorce" analogy in the title. My last WDW trip was 2018, and though I will very likely go back at some point, I would now go through a travel agent - the planning is just too ridiculously complicated to be fun anymore.

Last edited:
I've only read first post and the recent stuff since the thread was revived, but I know that even though I initially found this site while planning a Disney trip, I now spend much more time on the community board. I have friends here I wouldn't want to stop socializing with even if I stopped going to WDW.

That said, I haven't stopped, just slowed down. I get the "slow divorce" analogy in the title. My last WDW trip was 2018, and though I will very likely go back at some point, I would now go through a travel agent - the planning is just too ridiculously complicated to be fun anymore.

I haven't been to WDW since '06. Have no desire to go mainly because I've been there, done that. However I agree with you, PollyannaMom, on being here on the DIS and how I found this place. :goodvibes

Walt's vision for Epcot, behind all the glitz and futurism was a fascist dictatorship.

1. No one would actually own their home. Think about that. The corporation owns everything, even down to the very house you live in.
2. No one would get a vote on how the community was run.
3. No retirees.
4. Residents would be subject to surveillance and authorities could enter their homes without consent.
5. No unions.

Walt's dream of EPCOT wouldn't have been a utopia. It would have been a nightmare.
No think of EPCOT as a really expensive HOA, you own your home, and get to pick which Karen tells you what to do….

I recently read Robert Iger's book 'The Ride of a Lifetime'.
It tracked his career through ABC to to WDW and included all the ins and outs of the pixar and espn and abc disney deals.

It really opened my eyes...my very naive eyes, to the realization that my 'disney', being mickey mouse and the magic kingdom and my resort stay and fast passes, is a tiny speck on a cog of the company called Walt Disney World.

WDW is a mega business running multiple money streams with the #1 purpose of making money for its stock holders...as is every other public-held business.

It put things into perspective for me and made me feel a bit silly, thinking they cared about fast passes or my park experience.

We b*tch and moan about their greed but what about clorox, apple, Sony, Walmart, Home Depot and all the other large corporations? Their #1 reason to exist is to make money.
Period.

I agree with the OP and all of his sentiments. And it's sad, isn't it? WDW was such a fun place and now it's work. And most folks can't afford to go, or certainly can't afford multiple trips.

That's where I think the rubber hits the road, when everyone has gone post-pandem, but can't afford to return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter